Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Nancy Pointing: on 10/15/18 at 4:59am UTC, wrote Then try giving the print command to the printer, if the error is still not...

ariana pham: on 10/1/18 at 2:00am UTC, wrote The article is very useful for us, please to be updated daily. A Goody...

Susan george: on 6/11/18 at 11:45am UTC, wrote Your billing information will be submitted to your insurance carrier....

madona murfy: on 2/10/18 at 8:08am UTC, wrote A devotion of appreciation is all together to share your thought about the...

Hire Laptops: on 1/11/18 at 8:52am UTC, wrote I am a Researcher/Writer at one of the best Computer Rental service...

Amna Amm: on 1/3/18 at 13:20pm UTC, wrote Reality has to be digital, I mean I am managingoffshore seo company from...

Amna Amm: on 1/3/18 at 13:17pm UTC, wrote I believe reality is digital as I am managing offshore seo company and I...

bloxorz ok: on 12/25/17 at 8:23am UTC, wrote This is so fun! What a great idea. Also I love how authentic you seem to...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Robert McEachern: "They are proud, because they have solved some problems, which are..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Robert McEachern: "Eckard, I do have an interest in the history, but not as much as I used..." in First Things First: The...

Georgina Woodward: "The Schrodinger's cat thought experiment presents 3 causally linked state..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Roger Granet: "Well put! Physics is hard, but biochemistry (my area), other sciences..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Georgina Woodward: "BTW The neck scarves are a promotional souvenir given out at non sports..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "lol Zeeya it is well thought this algorythm selective when names are put in..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Steve Dufourny: "is it just due to a problem when we utilise names of persons?" in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 18, 2019

CATEGORY: Is Reality Digital or Analog? Essay Contest (2010-2011) [back]
TOPIC: Reality Depends upon How One Defines the Architecture of Existence by Gary Valentine Hansen [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Gary Valentine Hansen wrote on Feb. 18, 2011 @ 15:44 GMT
Essay Abstract

The hypothesis that reality is digital or analogical is correct insofar as reality may be experienced or expressed in either of these forms, but the implication that reality is either solely digital or solely analogical does not accommodate other possibilities. This limitation may thus be interpreted as a denial that reality is, per se, digital or analogical. The essay expounds upon alternative ways of looking at, and thereby defining, reality.

Author Bio

As a professional architect the natural extension of this interest was to seek an understanding of the architecture of everything else. Drafted into boarding school at the age of four; representing England in an international children’s camp at fifteen; attending the rigorous Outward Bound Sea School at sixteen; exploring Europe alone when a hitchhiker was a conspicuous curiosity; studies in three institutions of higher learning, and travelling to remote corners of the world in the interest of opening the mind – all subscribed to a compulsion to understanding and contributing positively to It: The Architecture of Existence. (849 pages) ISBN 9781857566680

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Alan Lowey wrote on Feb. 19, 2011 @ 12:23 GMT
Hello Gary, I liked your essay very much. It was informative and easy to read, whilst making valid fundamental points of concern. I share your opinion about the architecture of reality and have an important rediscovery to announce, namely, the Archimedes screw as a model for the graviton. It has both particle and wave properties and can be shown to induce a force of attarction when interacting with other structures. If a wraparound universe is imagined, then this graviton emerges on the otherside as an anti-graviton, i.e. DARK ENERGY. In time, I hope your architect's mind can picture the simplicity of what I'm trying to convey. Newton missed a trick imo. We would never have a spacetime continuum in the English language if Newton had hit on this simple explanation! Nevermind. Best of luck in the competition Gary. Alan

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Gary replied on Feb. 20, 2011 @ 03:53 GMT
Thanks for your good thoughts Alan. By coincidence I have ventured to draw the same conclusion as you with respect to what you call "Archimedes screw" that I simply call a "Helix". This idea is expressed in some detail in "It: The Architecture of Existence", pp.7, 282, 724 and 791. (Please excuse the "plug" for my own book).

With regard to so-called "Dark Energy", I am still quite sceptical. I suspect that whaever energy is "out there" it is reducable to electricity, as I suggest all energy is. You may also be interested in my discussion of Newton's and Einstein's ideas being "upside down". This thesis rests upon the premise that gravity does not exist, but that it is simply a manifestation of "de-natured" (polluted) vacuum. (p. 285).

Bookmark and Share

Alan Lowey replied on Feb. 20, 2011 @ 11:23 GMT
I'm glad you've hit upon the helix structure as a piece of the reality jigsaw Gary. You mention everything being reducable to electricity. The idea of an electric circuit is the same as a wraparound universe to explain dark energy. If you imagine you are inside a battery with a wire running from one terminal to the other in an electric circuit and now imagine a clockwise turning handle for the positive terminal. Now using your imagination, run that clockwise turning handle all the way around the circuit. When it arrives at the negative terminal, FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE INSIDE OF THE BATTERY, the handle is now turning ANTI-CLOCKWISE. It sounds too simple to say anything, but in actual fact says a hell of a lot. Think about it. The spin of a particle changes when it travels around a circuit. It's the same with a graviton which travels around a hypersphere. It emerges at the end of the circuit spinning in the opposite direction. Think about it a bit. It takes time before the penny drops.

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Feb. 22, 2011 @ 00:05 GMT
Gary,

Observable truth is not a vision from a single point but rather a composite of visions, reconciled by the minds and intellects of individuals that define reality. The more visions, the greater the potential for a higher, more definitive resolution of the subject as a whole made of parts.

The above seems to suggest analogue to me. Is it my bias?

Your last paragraph says the question is not relevant but made relevant by the answer you want?

Jim Hoover

Bookmark and Share

Gary replied on Feb. 22, 2011 @ 03:34 GMT
Thanks, I get your point Jim. Perhaps I should have inserted "limited to" between "is not" and "a vision". The point that I was making was that multiple views enhance the data base upon which the premise of a truthful representation rests. A good analogy would be to compare a single snapshot of a sculpture with the multiple impressions that any number of people get from moving around it. I have not opted to deny digital or analagous foundations to reality, but rather to suggest that reality could comprise either or both, or, as you recognized in reading my last paragraph, rest upon elective alternative perceptions by individuals acting alone or in consensus.

To your last question, the theme question "Is Reality Digital or Analog?" - is only relevant if one or both of the options correspond to one's current perception that they are indeed relevant. An infinite line in time or space is neither inherently digital or analogical until we elect to divide it into useful digits, say minutes or feet, solely for the purpose of gaining some advantage. At least one end remains wild and infinite, which makes the definition of reality attending that line a hybrid.

Bookmark and Share

Susan george replied on Jun. 11, 2018 @ 11:45 GMT
Your billing information will be submitted to your insurance carrier. Either you or Urgent Care Clinic West New Yorkshould receive an explanation of benefits form detailing what was paid, denied or due from you. The approximate wait time for the explanation of benefits is within thirty days.

Bookmark and Share

John Vilett wrote on Feb. 23, 2011 @ 01:58 GMT
Gary,

You know by now that I have great difficulty in following your reasoning and decoding your personal language, and therefore I will refrain from attempting to respond to your carefully crafted essay in any detail.

However I certainly agree with your conclusion that everything is relative (particularly everything we like to think of as objective). Relativity demands context for meaning, and the required context for this question is the set of ontological and epistemological premises in the mind of the questioner. Shy of that information, the question is not answerable.

Bookmark and Share

Andrew Beckwith wrote on Feb. 24, 2011 @ 20:53 GMT
quote:

Progress in human knowledge marches into virtual novelty whereby each step appears to clarify the picture but belies the constancy of inexactitude that prevails in the impressionist landscape of reality.

end of quote

What does impressinist landscape of reality have to do with either digital or analog foundation questions?

Andy

Bookmark and Share

Gary Hansen replied on Feb. 24, 2011 @ 22:03 GMT
Andy,

If you extend the quote for another seven words to include "Knowledge is a state of relative enlightenment", the answer to your question is suggested by the emergence of the idea that "reality" may not be capable of being represented in absolute terms by reference to digital, analogical, or any other formal foundation.

My Reference No.3 elaborates upon the notion of "impressions" vis a vis "expressions" of reality, as follows:

"In Philosophies des Als Ob Vaihinger argued that human beings can never really know the underlying reality of the world, and that as a result we construct systems of thought and then assume that these match reality: we behave "as if" the world matches our models. In particular, he used examples from the physical sciences, such as protons, electrons, and electromagnetic waves. None of these phenomena have been observed directly, but science pretends that they exist, and uses observations made on these assumptions to create new and better constructs."

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Mar. 1, 2011 @ 13:31 GMT
Gary

A beautifully philosophical essay. I suppose both being trained as Architects (and I'm also a yachtsman) our thought patterns are broader yet match more closely together than most.

I've extended your question of the Catesian point to include the also non existent line, so useful as an abstraction of a boundary in Architecture. But you and I can't just theorise, we have to build things. Einstein specified the x,y,z as attached to a BODY, a 3D entity, and maths abstracted and lost that reality.

I hope you'll read my essay because just that correction can re-unite Relativity and QM, but it needs a very logical not mathematical mind to follow the empirical reasoning. But if you do, please read it slowly and take in the implications or the ground shaking conclusion will not build.

You must be able to visualise and manipulate a number of moving volumes and observers in your mind, which perhaps only architects can do successfully. Please do ask questions if you need to. In any case I feel worth are both worth a good score and hope you agree.

Best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Gary Hansen wrote on Mar. 2, 2011 @ 22:45 GMT
Peter

Thanks for your gracious comments.

We do indeed have many common interests; the UK, conscientious objection, architecture, philosophy, physics, yachting - and writing essays!

Picking up on your point that you and I can't just theorise, we have 'to build things', this is certainly so in the field of architecture. In the realms of mathematics and physics the imperative seems to be the need 'to prove things'.

However, each profession relies upon philosophy to guide it in taking succeeding steps into the unknown as articles of faith.

For myself, ideas are infinitely more attractive than explanations. I wrestle with them until I see light at the end of the tunnel, at which point I tend to lose interest and take on another - but then I have little vested interest in exploiting self-defined realities to my personal advantage.

I shall pick up on discussion of your essay in a 'post' under your title shortly.

Hopefully we will 'talk' again. Good luck!

Gary.

Bookmark and Share

basudeba wrote on Mar. 4, 2011 @ 13:21 GMT
Dear Sir,

We congratulate you for your brilliant analysis of historical developments and guided tour of the reality domain.

Unfortunately, we have deviated widely from the concept of Descartes that “a clear understanding of the nature of each part, its relation to other parts and the sequence by which the parts needed to be assembled in order to arrive at the intended end...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

sridattadev wrote on Mar. 4, 2011 @ 20:45 GMT
Dear Gary,

I liked your essay, Architecture of existence. This raises the question who is the architect? On close examination it translates to Who am I? I or Singularity in all of us "is" the architect of existence. If you are interested you can find the article Theory of everything that I have submitted in this contest. I wish you all the best in your pursuit of truth.

Love,

Sridattadev.

Bookmark and Share

Eckard Blumschein wrote on Mar. 6, 2011 @ 01:03 GMT
Here I am still looking in vain for starting points how to possibly get rid of paradoxes and inconsistencies in theories. Shouldn't we question the most fundamental tenets with the intention to find out obvious mistakes?

Dear Gary,

According to my reasoning, the concept of block-spacetime is logically flawed as I explained appendix C of 833 and in my recent reply to John Merryman. Do you consider it part of the architecture?

Regards,

Eckard

Bookmark and Share

Peter Mastro wrote on Mar. 7, 2011 @ 14:53 GMT
Gary,

I loved your essay and its historical perspective. It obviates that humanities quest to understand his surroundings is ultimately an attempt to understand what we ourselves are.

Thanks for writing it.

Pete

Bookmark and Share

John Merryman wrote on Mar. 10, 2011 @ 18:30 GMT
Gary,

I don't have the most scientifically trained mind and so have not finished reading as many of these essays as I've started, but I did read yours through to the end. It is a quite professional and well written examination of the the history and context of physics, but sort of fades when coming to the question of what is next. In the blogs discussions at FQXI, there are a number of...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Anthony McNeill wrote on Aug. 10, 2016 @ 10:26 GMT
It is true that reality can be defined as one experiences it. Obviously, I am a little bit confused whether it can be proved technically or not. However, it is a great topic to compete in an essay writing. My opinion is that it is good to get professional help from some of the best essay writing service where you can find the world class researchers to get more information on this matter.

Bookmark and Share

Anthony McNeill wrote on Aug. 10, 2016 @ 10:33 GMT
indeed, this is great topic to discuss. An essay topic must be a challenging one for the competitors and this provide enough challenge for the contestants. But, a broad idea is necessary for a competitor. I recommend best essay writing service where you can find the best writers who regularly research on topics like this. I hope it will be a great resource for you.

Bookmark and Share

jenny rao wrote on Aug. 30, 2016 @ 21:25 GMT
I was not believing myself when i came to know that pokemon go cheats can be derived from the website online from the hacking pokemon go here. This thing i had told to everybody about the game.

Bookmark and Share

jenny rao wrote on Aug. 30, 2016 @ 21:28 GMT
If you don't have heard about the hacking pokemon go online here.e

Bookmark and Share

Jade Boyle wrote on Sep. 6, 2016 @ 09:44 GMT
I think, that soon everything will move to the digital sphere. For example, you already can buy research paper online without any problems!

Bookmark and Share

Bea 617-821-3938 Cooper wrote on Oct. 10, 2016 @ 13:31 GMT
Gary, you really have written a great essay!

I have found a lot of interesting thoughts! I started considerating whether the reality exists or is it only in my mind?

Your essay Architecture of Existence inspired me to write some articles at my blog. Have a look:[https://handmadewritings.com/blog/top-10-tips-time-man
agement-extend-day] how to extend your day

Bookmark and Share

sara zambola wrote on Oct. 27, 2016 @ 10:32 GMT
great post. thanks for sharing.

porno frikis

Bookmark and Share

Vivien Seo wrote on Jan. 1, 2017 @ 15:49 GMT
compro argento

corso formazione gioiellieri

pittori liguri

offerte antiquariato

piattaforme ecommerce genova

seo genova

comunicazione Genova

costruzione siti Genova

Bookmark and Share

Mike Helson wrote on Feb. 23, 2017 @ 12:39 GMT
Great post. Thanks for sharing such a deep information

mobile application development

app developers India

mobile app

Bookmark and Share

Vivien Seo wrote on Feb. 28, 2017 @ 12:36 GMT
Le inclusioni possono essere più o meno numerose e più o meno grandi, a forma di piuma, nuvola o piccoli cristalli.

ceramiche genova

certificazione diamanti

compro preziosi

Bookmark and Share

Joe Moe wrote on Mar. 21, 2017 @ 13:15 GMT
This was surely an interesting cost

HID Headlights

Bookmark and Share

John Miller wrote on Apr. 11, 2017 @ 14:04 GMT
Hey there guys, really glad to see you all here, kepp up doing the great job! Loving it!

Sincerely yours, Tom Miller

https://sites.google.com/view/best-writing-services-re
view/

Bookmark and Share

Joe Moe wrote on May. 4, 2017 @ 13:28 GMT
You are welcome John

Single stage auto paint

Bookmark and Share

lionel john wrote on Aug. 19, 2017 @ 08:15 GMT
Physics is certainly a vast subject and it has lot of subtopics as well. You have shared some really useful information related to the various branches of physics here. I want to know more about the subject. Please keep sharing more of them here. https://www.thetripleplay.net/cable.php

Bookmark and Share

tasik store wrote on Oct. 20, 2017 @ 08:58 GMT
GEJALA DARAH TINGGI 4 Macam Gejala Darah Tinggi Yang Biasa Muncul

GEJALA DARAH TINGGI 5 Gejala Darah Tinggi Dan Cara Mengatasinya

GEJALA DARAH TINGGI 5 Gejala Darah Tinggi Dan 6 Penyebab

GEJALA DARAH TINGGI 6 Gejala Darah Tinggi Yang Paling Berbahaya

GEJALA DARAH TINGGI Apa Gejala Darah Tinggi Di Usia Muda?

GEJALA DARAH TINGGI Bagaiman Cara Mengenali Gejala Darah Tinggi Sejak Dini

GEJALA DARAH TINGGI Ciri-Ciri Orang Gejala Tekanan Darah Tinggi Hipertensi

GEJALA DARAH TINGGI 4 Gejala Darah Tinggi Dan Pencegahannya

GEJALA DARAH TINGGI 5 Gejala Darah Tinggi Yang Harus Diwaspadai

GEJALA DARAH TINGGI 5 Gejala Tekanan Darah Tinggi Hipertensi Dan Solusinya

GEJALA DARAH TINGGI Tanda Dan Gejala Ketika Darah Tinggi Naik

GEJALA DARAH TINGGI 5 Gejala Tekanan Darah Tinggi Dan Kolesterol

GEJALA DARAH TINGGI 4 Ciri-Ciri Umum Gejala Darah Tinggi Dan Solusinya

GEJALA DARAH TINGGI 5 Gejala Darah Tinggi Hipertensi Secara Umum

Bookmark and Share

obat pembesar wrote on Oct. 21, 2017 @ 00:21 GMT
obat pembesar penis http://www.jualanobatpembesarpenis.com/

Bookmark and Share

bloxorz hulk ok wrote on Dec. 25, 2017 @ 08:23 GMT
This is so fun! What a great idea. Also I love how authentic you seem to be. Your style and passion for blogging is contagious. Thank you for sharing your life!

slither io

Bookmark and Share

Amna Sheikh Amm wrote on Jan. 3, 2018 @ 13:17 GMT
I believe reality is digital as I am managing offshore seo company and I can notice things are changing in digital world.

Bookmark and Share

Amna Sheikh Amm wrote on Jan. 3, 2018 @ 13:20 GMT
Reality has to be digital, I mean I am managingoffshore seo company from many years now and things are changing to digital. You can find the best results in digital media world.

Bookmark and Share

Hire Laptops wrote on Jan. 11, 2018 @ 08:52 GMT
I am a Researcher/Writer at one of the best Computer Rental service providers around UK. I have put in a lot for research in Phoenix University during my career span under a professor. Now, I am looking forward to contribute my best in writing. Hope I can make use of my experience in research well throughout my writing career. I welcome your doubts and thoughts by here.

55 inch screen hire

Rent printer

Bookmark and Share

madona watson murfy wrote on Feb. 10, 2018 @ 08:08 GMT
A devotion of appreciation is all together to share your thought about the conceivable predetermination of the web.

active target promo codes 2018

fantastic post individuals and a commitment of appreciation is all together for your article this is on an exceptionally fundamental level perplexing. a devotion of appreciation is all together for your data!

Bookmark and Share

ariana pham wrote on Oct. 1, 2018 @ 02:00 GMT
The article is very useful for us, please to be updated daily.

A Goody Life

Bookmark and Share

Nancy Pointing wrote on Oct. 15, 2018 @ 04:59 GMT
Then try giving the print command to the printer, if the error is still not fixed then you can try to reset the printer through HP Printer Customer Care and if this also fails to eradicate the issue then it is high time that you should replace the print head of the cartridge.

Contact for the best technical resolution

https://www.printerservicenumber.com/

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.