Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

William George: on 3/19/18 at 11:27am UTC, wrote I complete an extraordinary degree like this post, I am feeling to an...

Vladimir Tamari: on 3/4/11 at 14:10pm UTC, wrote I liked the title of this essay and wanted to read more. In a few sentences...

Barry: on 3/3/11 at 17:25pm UTC, wrote I'm sorry to report that Lorian passed away on February 21, four days after...

Jonathan Dickau: on 2/23/11 at 2:31am UTC, wrote Hello again Lorian, Given what you say, in your essay, I wanted to offer...

Jonathan Dickau: on 2/23/11 at 2:11am UTC, wrote Hello Lorian, I also read your entire essay. I happen to agree with much...

Georgina Parry: on 2/18/11 at 10:33am UTC, wrote Just for clarification I am referring to a field that exists WHETHER OR NOT...

Georgina Parry: on 2/17/11 at 22:58pm UTC, wrote Lorian, Is that the complete essay? If it is I am a little disappointed as...

Lorian Gray: on 2/17/11 at 8:43am UTC, wrote Essay Abstract The problem of understanding how reality can be both...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Lorraine, Thanks for sharing,we speak about our main global..." in Till Next Time

Georgina Woodward: "Robert, re. your ""one huge mistake"- they are describing non-existent..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Robert McEachern: "They are proud, because they have solved some problems, which are..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Robert McEachern: "Eckard, I do have an interest in the history, but not as much as I used..." in First Things First: The...

Georgina Woodward: "The Schrodinger's cat thought experiment presents 3 causally linked state..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Roger Granet: "Well put! Physics is hard, but biochemistry (my area), other sciences..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "lol Zeeya it is well thought this algorythm selective when names are put in..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 19, 2019

CATEGORY: Is Reality Digital or Analog? Essay Contest (2010-2011) [back]
TOPIC: Even The Darkness Is Made of Light by Lorian Gray [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Lorian Gray wrote on Feb. 17, 2011 @ 08:43 GMT
Essay Abstract

The problem of understanding how reality can be both continuous and discontinuous is simpler to understand if one changes perspective. Combining reason with intuition one can imagine what it would be like to not see light, but to be it. Light traveling at the speed of light would know no time, only space. A universal reality that is actually a dynamic holograph would make time and distance no longer empirical, merely phenomenological. The universe is an undivided whole. Time and distance is a human bias.

Author Bio

Lorian Gray is a student of general science at Marylhurst University.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Parry wrote on Feb. 17, 2011 @ 22:58 GMT
Lorian,

Is that the complete essay? If it is I am a little disappointed as it makes such a good introduction to what could have been an interesting alternative exploration of reality and what it means for our models.

I do think that the holograph idea has a place but is once again only a partial solution to the complete problem. Realism is necessary. There has to be objects. Whether those are fundamentally different from what is in between them in a another question. Those objects emit or reflect EM waves whose wavelength and intensity allow sensory interpretation of the spatially separated matter. So it is the EM field, which can be perturbed by gravity, that enables space-time to be generated as a higher level reality. So this gives 3 levels of reality. The foundational objects and medium, the holographic EM field, and the space-time observer interpretation.

Unfortunately I think "Reality" by Michael Christian is a simpler and more profound entry. His entry also addresses the essay question.

If there is more to your answer than has appeared here I would be interested to read it.

Kind regards, Georgina

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Georgina Parry replied on Feb. 18, 2011 @ 10:33 GMT
Just for clarification I am referring to a field that exists WHETHER OR NOT charges are present. The EM field produced by the charged particles will be just another kind of disturbance or perturbation of the -PRE-EXISTING field, as are gravity and magnetism. I have not given any name to medium or field in my essay. It does need another name to overcome ambiguity.It may be Eugene Klingman's C field but I am not sure yet.

Re-reading my comment to you above I think I sound rather dismissive of your entry. That was not the intention. On the contrary I wanted to let you know that I read it and was interested by the ideas you introduced. However I just hoped there would be more to read after that introduction.It was brave of you to enter such a succinct piece. But perhaps all it takes is 1 good idea and it can inspire 100 or more others. I just really like Christian's entry with the message Think about it! though yours is also very thought provoking. What if..?

Kind regards, Georgina.

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Feb. 23, 2011 @ 02:11 GMT
Hello Lorian,

I also read your entire essay. I happen to agree with much of what you say, but I think you did not say quite enough. There are several areas of study that support your view, which you did not mention, and perhaps did not yet discover.

I know it is a challenge, sometimes, to find adequate material in support of a given view, so I am suggesting that you might enjoy this web-site on decoherence, maintained by Erich Joos.

You will find that he also espouses agreement with some of your ideas, but I daresay his technical rigor is greatly superior to yours. And his colleague H.D. Zeh is both a masterful thinker and a Math wizard. Sorry there was not more of your essay to comment on.

Regards,

Jonathan J. Dickau

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Feb. 23, 2011 @ 02:31 GMT
Hello again Lorian,

Given what you say, in your essay, I wanted to offer that you might enjoy my essay, as I expand on some of the points you make.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Barry wrote on Mar. 3, 2011 @ 17:25 GMT
I'm sorry to report that Lorian passed away on February 21, four days after her essay was posted.

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir F. Tamari replied on Mar. 4, 2011 @ 14:10 GMT
I liked the title of this essay and wanted to read more. In a few sentences Lorian has presented a very beautiful set of concepts. The idea of 'being light' is poetic and almost religious. However it may very well be the absolute scientific truth concerning the structure of the universe. Several essays present the idea that everything is made up of photons. In my essay I present the idea that a universal ether not only transmits light, but *is* light, matter, space and everything else. I also agree with her idea of a timeless universe. What sad news that she passed away. I was curious to know more about her and found she had posted somewhere that she likes this song - the River of Time. How appropriate to listen to it and think of this person who wrote such a meaningful and succinct essay. My condolences to her family and friends.

Go to this link and click on the arrow to listen to the song

Bookmark and Share

William George wrote on Mar. 19, 2018 @ 11:27 GMT
I complete an extraordinary degree like this post, I am feeling to an incredible degree all around go by here. in like way, each our author was an understudy once, Do My Essay and now they all are experienced paper scientists with skilled degrees. so they have a sensible picture that it is so difficult to stay aware of the informational activities which are constantly being perplexed. grateful and keep it up.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.