Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Suchi Abram: on 9/9/19 at 12:25pm UTC, wrote They make sure you don't have such problems for a long time as well. It is...

Alice Bolt: on 8/22/19 at 10:48am UTC, wrote Open File Explorer by pressing simultaneously the Windows and E keys on...

Suchi Abram: on 5/7/19 at 11:53am UTC, wrote Remove the cartridges. Check the nozzles and clean them if there’s any...

Epson l355 setup: on 5/3/19 at 12:51pm UTC, wrote Most Epson printers tend to be very straightforward, plug and run machines....

Howard Ryan: on 11/29/18 at 7:45am UTC, wrote My printer won't print. It utters the printer bonce is cracked. The...

Saim Thomus: on 11/26/18 at 10:07am UTC, wrote What does it even mean? Will we humans ever be able to grasp it? The deeper...

Alina Olive: on 11/5/18 at 12:28pm UTC, wrote Netflix can pause, and it's not worth missing a due date on what is an...

rain smith: on 11/2/18 at 5:59am UTC, wrote It's a very nice topic about digital and analog, I like your post. Anyone...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Robert McEachern: ""At the risk of stroking physicists’ egos, physics is hard" But every..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

George Musser: "Imagine you could feed the data of the world into a computer and have it..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "Personally Joe me I see like that ,imagine that this infinite eternal..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "Joe it is wonderful this,so you are going to have a nobel prize in..." in First Things First: The...

Robert McEachern: ""I'm not sure that the 'thing as it is' is irrelevant." It is not. It is..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "lol Zeeya it is well thought this algorythm selective when names are put in..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Steve Dufourny: "is it just due to a problem when we utilise names of persons?" in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Georgina Woodward: "I suggested the turnstiles separate odd form even numbered tickets randomly..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 18, 2019

CATEGORY: Is Reality Digital or Analog? Essay Contest (2010-2011) [back]
TOPIC: On Whether Reality is Digital or Analog by Henri Vonn De Roule [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Henri Vonn De Roule wrote on Feb. 15, 2011 @ 12:40 GMT
Essay Abstract

When I was considering the question posed, my immediate thought was that of course reality is analog. There are many visible, quantifiable and provable examples of this. Among them are the examples of the first and the latest digital-to-analog (DAC) converters and their counterparts the analog-to-digital converters (ADC). Several of the companies for which I have worked produced products that processed signals. The goal in producing these devices was twofold: First, reduce or eliminate noise and; Second to digitally represent the analog signal as closely as possible. I remember the first 8-bit DACs and how proud the developers were of their achievement. I also remember 128-bit converters and how, over the years, the engineers (or more correctly the marketing departments) would brag about this continuing achievement.

Author Bio

I am a 64-year-old male who has had an abiding interest in science since he was 7 years old. I attended a military academy in high school and then attended the University of California at Riverside. I am married with one child and three step-children. I read on science extensively. Publications include Scientific American and numerous books on both the existing scientific state and on the possibilities of where we are headed. These publications range from “New Theories of Everything” by John D. Barrow to “The fabric of the Cosmos” by Brian Greene.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Mar. 9, 2011 @ 16:07 GMT
Henri

Spot on conclusion! Without either there could be nothing.

As another non Physicist I enjoyed your wonderfully fresh direct view and essay. In particular I believe you comment; "As Alice said; "This gets curiouser and curiouser." When I delved into quantum physics more deeply, I discovered that perhaps my bias toward an analog reality was premature." sums it up in a very apt way.

This in two distinct ways; partly because Charles Dodgson to top Oxford mathematician, only assumed the name lewis Carroll and wrote that line because he was so incensed by the unrealistic maths that was taking over, imaginary numbers, quaternions etc, all still used today, which abstracted from reality and never returned!

I identify the problem in my essay. Even lines and points don't actually exist. Einstin specified x,y,z co-ordinated "attached to a rigid body" not just as the playthings of maths. We must learn to distinguish between abstraction and reality. I really do hope you like the essay as I need the community points! Do look at the string comments too. I hope you can see the dynamic relationship I explain, saying, essentially, if you're not ON the bus you're not IN the buses inertial frame, so anything you see happening on the bus can't be directly (relevantly) measured without mathematical correction or 'renormalisatioon'.

Very Best of luck, and well done.

Peter

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Henri V. De Roule replied on Mar. 20, 2011 @ 19:36 GMT
Peter,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding my essay. I specifically tried to stay away from getting bogged down in the math of the issue. I agree that the current state of the math on the issue at hand is incomplete. I have even pictured "empty" space (or vacuum, if you like) as actually particles that we call Dark Matter. This would be the area in which, as you point out, energy could be stored as light shifts from red to blue and back. These dark matter particles would absorb the energy and directly correlate to the expansion of the universe. It would also explain the locality of expansion. If we assume that the entire universe has no vacuum, but is made up of the various particles, then we can fine tune our science to accommodate these data.

Regards,

Henri

Bookmark and Share

Henri V. De Roule replied on Mar. 20, 2011 @ 19:58 GMT
Sorry, I am just figuring out how to navigate this thread.

Peter,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding my essay. I specifically tried to stay away from getting bogged down in the math of the issue. I agree that the current state of the math on the issue at hand is incomplete. I have even pictured "empty" space (or vacuum, if you like) as actually particles that we call Dark Matter. This would be the area in which, as you point out, energy could be stored as light shifts from red to blue and back. These dark matter particles would absorb the energy and directly correlate to the expansion of the universe. It would also explain the locality of expansion. If we assume that the entire universe has no vacuum, but is made up of the various particles, then we can fine tune our science to accommodate these data.

Regards,

Henri

Bookmark and Share

Chris wrote on Apr. 25, 2011 @ 07:47 GMT
Henri

I enjoyed reading your essay very much in Yuba City and upon reading it a second time (which I enjoyed as well,) I realized that it seems to me that at a certain point, possibly at the cellular level and smaller, things are digital. This is evident in our bodies as the all or none firing principle, and the volley principle of hearing, and then of course, as you mentioned, with quantum entanglement (which is one of the coolest things I've ever heard of!) Yet, as we observe larger phenomena, reality appears analog only because our brains cannot perceive the discrete changes. Maybe everything is discrete, but our minds are built to fill in the gaps (or the gaps are so small when it comes down to it, that our minds cannot even detect them!) I think that if we better understood how our minds perceive reality, we'd be able to understand why some things appear digital and some analog. Anyway, I wish you luck with the judging!

Sincerely,

Chris

Bookmark and Share

Dov Henis wrote on Nov. 1, 2011 @ 16:26 GMT
The Simplest, Data-Based T O E ...

An Embarrassingly Obvious Theory Of Everything

EOTOE, Some Implications (I)

A.

EOTOE is an Embarrassingly Obvious Theory Of Everything.

In essence it states that all things in the universe, nouns and verbs objects and processes, originate and derive from the energy-mass dualism.

Origin and essence of this derivation are...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

[[ddlink]] wrote on Nov. 18, 2011 @ 10:45 GMT
self worth protection May there will be from the 27 complaints while complaints cutting edge design awards RYDP has been .

Bookmark and Share

Dov Henis wrote on May. 16, 2013 @ 11:54 GMT
Graviton's Energy-Mass Dualism

Gravity, The Monotheism Of The Universe

Everything in the dictionary and in the universe - nouns and verbs objects and processes - originate and derive from the energy-mass dualism, from the ongoing constant rate conversion of mass to energy, from the ongoing resolution-release of inert gravitons, mass, leaving the clusters of the fractured seed of the universe, singularity, and becoming energy, mass in motion.

The Graviton’s energy-mass dualism derives from its gravity, self-attraction, and its compactness.

Gravity: the propensity of the gravitons – the elementary particles of the mass of the universe - to return to their singularity state of zero motion, of compacted zero inter-particle distance.

Compactness: the default particle’s size and shape that enable zero inter-particle distance at singularity.

This, commonsensically, is the matrix of the universe.

Dov Henis (comments from 22nd century)

http://universe-life.com/2012/02/03/universe-energy-
mass-life-compilation/

Energy-Mass Poles Of The Universe

http://universe-life.com/2012/11/14/701/

PS:

Life is the obvious manifestation of energy-mass dualism. The sun’s energy, i.e. fast-moving mass particles, convert into slow-moving temporary mass formats… DH

Bookmark and Share

rain smith wrote on Nov. 2, 2018 @ 05:59 GMT
It's a very nice topic about digital and analog, I like your post.

Anyone face printer issue printer is in an error state THEN VISIT HP TEAM TO RESOLVE IT.

Bookmark and Share

Alina Olive wrote on Nov. 5, 2018 @ 12:28 GMT
Netflix can pause, and it's not worth missing a due date on what is an imperative paper. You likewise don't wanna build up that example. You destroy you the end Do My Homework For Cheap, however I recommend simply completing it.

Bookmark and Share

Saim Thomus wrote on Nov. 26, 2018 @ 10:07 GMT
What does it even mean? Will we humans ever be able to grasp it? The deeper that physicists dive, the more the concept of reality keeps swimming away from them. Leonard Susskind suggests in an interview in our August issue that reality is inherently slithery. Black holes, in particular, introduce an unavoidable ambiguity into our description of nature.

How to connect Telstra wifi

Bookmark and Share

Howard Ryan wrote on Nov. 29, 2018 @ 07:45 GMT
My printer won't print. It utters the printer bonce is cracked. The sympathetic does not turn out. would you be able to disclose to me how in case I'm ready to settle this or do I have to purchase another printer? I just purchased this a couple of month’s back it's fundamentally another printer Brother printer contact number I require help please encourage me.

Bookmark and Share

Epson l355 setup wrote on May. 3, 2019 @ 12:51 GMT
Most Epson printers tend to be very straightforward, plug and run machines. Sometimes they will include a CD with drivers to install Epson l355 wifi setup or an instruction manual with some additional steps, but this can all be found with a quick google search of the model printer you’re installing.

Bookmark and Share

Suchi Abram wrote on May. 7, 2019 @ 11:53 GMT
Remove the cartridges. Check the nozzles and clean them if there’s any clogged or dried ink.

Reinstall the cartridges. The critical part of this however is changing a cartridge to know which one of them is problematic. Insert a new or old functioning ink cartridge along with the current ink cartridge.

https://www.canonprintersupport247.com/blog/fix-ca
non-mp460-printer-error-code-5100/

Bookmark and Share

Alice Bolt wrote on Aug. 22, 2019 @ 10:48 GMT
Open File Explorer by pressing simultaneously the Windows and E keys on your keyboard.

Press Ctrl and L at the same time to access the Address Bar, Windows update error 0x80248007 and type in %systemroot%SoftwareDistribution, then press This will open the SoftwareDistribution folder.

Bookmark and Share

Suchi Abram wrote on Sep. 9, 2019 @ 12:25 GMT
They make sure you don't have such problems for a long time as well.

It is also important to note that this is not such a hard mistake, which can't be readily fixed.

Canon Printer Offline

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.