Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

[[ddlink]]: on 11/19/11 at 2:32am UTC, wrote watches vice president of worldwide the prerogative of men the strength and...

Steve: on 2/24/11 at 12:58pm UTC, wrote Hi dear Jozsef Garai, Interesting essay. I liked this small taxonomy, it...

Jess Tauber: on 2/18/11 at 19:57pm UTC, wrote In addition, leftward counts from the right edge (alkaline earths) of the...

Valery Tsimmerman: on 2/18/11 at 19:33pm UTC, wrote Congratulations. It is very interesting work. I would like to suggest that...

Alan Lowey: on 2/16/11 at 11:38am UTC, wrote Hi Jozsef, I liked the structural approach to the thinking in your essay. I...

Jozsef Garai: on 2/15/11 at 11:27am UTC, wrote Essay Abstract Following a short discussion on the digital and the...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "lol REVOLUTION SPHERISATION everywhere at all scales,REVOLUTION..." in Alternative Models of...

Georgina Woodward: "The kind of time required, over which the material change is happening, (to..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "after all like Borh has made,this universe and its spheres for me are like..." in Alternative Models of...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Lorraine Ford: "With the “A.I. Feynman” software, Silviu-Marian Udrescu and Max Tegmark..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Georgina Woodward: "Coin toss co-state potentials: With the measurement protocol decided, in..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "If we correlate with the consciousness, can we consider that all is..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 23, 2019

CATEGORY: Is Reality Digital or Analog? Essay Contest (2010-2011) [back]
TOPIC: Digital Description of the Periodic System by Jozsef Garai [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Jozsef Garai wrote on Feb. 15, 2011 @ 11:27 GMT
Essay Abstract

Following a short discussion on the digital and the analog description of reality the most important digital feature of nature, the Periodic System of the Chemical Elements, is investigated. The symmetry pattern of the system emergies when the elements are arranged in an increasing atomic number order. Symmetry relatig to nuclear charge can only be possible if the positions of the nucleons are preserved. The size of protons and neutrons is almost the same. Thus the representation of the nucleons by equal spheres is adequate. Under the enormus nuclear force the nucleons predictably utilize the space in the most efficient way and arranged in a closest packing array. The basic building blocks of the closest packing arrangments are tetrahedrons and octahedrons. If someone wants to look for structural symmetry patterns then the expansion of these units should be investigated first. The first sequence of the Perodic System is completed by the four nucleons of Helium, indicating a tetrahedron “seed” for the nuclear structure. Assuming alternate proton and neutron arrangement in the lattice and investigating the expansion of tetrahedron it reveals that the lattice positions reproduces all of the quantum numbers. The reproduction is not only numerical but lattice positions represent the same physics described by quantum mechanics. Thus the nuclear lattice model offers a credible physical exlanation for quantum theory. In order to reproduce the sequences of the periodic system the core tetrahedron is alternately expanded into two directions forming a “double tetrahedron” shape. Based on this nuclear lattice model mathematical equations describing the sequencies of the periodic system are derived. Physical model explaining the identical symmetry of the nucleus and the electronic structure of the chemical elements is also presented.

Author Bio

My original profession is civil engineer. I also earned an MSc from SUNY Stony Brook in Space and Earth Sciences and a PhD from Florida International University. My favorite pass time is to think on unresolved theoretical questions, which I try attacking with an open mind. This approach many times results in non-conventional solutions, like the submitted one. If you are inerested to learn about other progressive ideas developed by the author then please visit my web-site (http://www.garai-research.com) or do a search under my name at the Physics Archive site (http://arxiv.org)

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Alan Lowey wrote on Feb. 16, 2011 @ 11:38 GMT
Hi Jozsef, I liked the structural approach to the thinking in your essay. I have a novel idea with regard to the structure of reality which you may be interested in incidentally. You're the first to start from the perspective of the periodic table, which I admire very much. A physical representation of the hydrogen atom is essential in our ourstanding of the quantum world imo. Best of luck. Alan

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Valery Tsimmerman wrote on Feb. 18, 2011 @ 19:33 GMT
Congratulations. It is very interesting work. I would like to suggest that the tetrahedral arrangements offered by Dr. Garai is not the only one possible. Jess Tauber and I found different tetrahedral arrangements that agree with the Periodic System just as well, if not even better. My favorite is ADOMAH Tetrahedron that can be viewed at http://www.PerfectPeriodicTable.com/novelty. It is based on Janet's Left Step Periodic Table, that in my view is more coherent than Bohr's pyramidal periodic table. Instead of double tetrahedron, ADOMAH is based on assigning two elements to a single sphere, thus mimicking spin quantum number, that has value 1/2. This value was first accepted by Wolfgang Pauli and confirmed later with relativistic calculations by Paul Dirac. Jess Tauber recently noticed that every other alkaline earth metal has atomic number corresponding to the tetrahedral number and those in between, are exact arithmetic means of the tetrahedral numbers.

I find it remarkable. It strongly supports the idea of tetrahedral character of the periodic system.

Valery Tsimmerman.

Bookmark and Share

Jess Tauber replied on Feb. 18, 2011 @ 19:57 GMT
In addition, leftward counts from the right edge (alkaline earths) of the Left-Step Janet PT using triangular numbers from the Pascal Triangle always fall upon ml=0 values. And mapping Fibonacci, Lucas, and other similarly Golden-Ratio convergent numbers as atomic numbers is nonarbitrary- the Fib numbers are leftmost in half orbitals, the Lucas numbers rightmost, and the next two series mostly on ml=0. I'm sure there's more.

Jess Tauber

Bookmark and Share

Steve wrote on Feb. 24, 2011 @ 12:58 GMT
Hi dear Jozsef Garai,

Interesting essay. I liked this small taxonomy, it could be well if you insert the volumes and the rotations proportionals but for that the real number of the entanglement must be inserted rationally at my humble opinion.

The lattices if the volumes of decreasing are inserted appear totally differently.The quantization of mass is very important and must respect the newtonian fractalization.You know I have classed the elets with mendeleev and biology and chemistry, the real secret is about the ultim entanglement, the fusion mass light in time space evolution is better understood with the rotations spinals and orbitals of the specific entanglement.But the volumes are important and the thermodynamics also.

Good luck in this contest.

Regards

Steve

Bookmark and Share

[[ddlink]] wrote on Nov. 19, 2011 @ 02:32 GMT
watches vice president of worldwide the prerogative of men the strength and voting through the Internet coupled with .

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.