Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Paul Halpern: on 3/15/11 at 15:12pm UTC, wrote Dear Joe, Great quote! Yes, it took someone innovative for the invention...

joseph markell: on 3/15/11 at 14:54pm UTC, wrote Dear Paul: Thanks for commenting, I really appreciate it. On the same...

Paul Halpern: on 3/13/11 at 19:04pm UTC, wrote Dear Joe, I thought that your description of a goldfish unaware of the...

Constantinos Ragazas: on 3/11/11 at 3:54am UTC, wrote dear joseph markell , energy quanta are a think of the past! we need “A...

joseph markell: on 2/15/11 at 2:49am UTC, wrote Dear Peter: Thank-you for your opinions and review of my essay. We...

Peter Jackson: on 2/14/11 at 19:09pm UTC, wrote Dear Joseph A refreshing read, and I agree there's a lot more going on in...

joseph markell: on 2/12/11 at 1:47am UTC, wrote Hello Steve, Thank-you for your positive comments and wish of good luck. ...

Steve Dufourny: on 2/11/11 at 15:16pm UTC, wrote Hi to both of you, Indeed it's original,intriguing. Best and good luck. ...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "after all like Borh has made,this universe and its spheres for me are like..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "Thanks for sharing Georgina,it is nice.Friendly" in Alternative Models of...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Lorraine Ford: "With the “A.I. Feynman” software, Silviu-Marian Udrescu and Max Tegmark..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Georgina Woodward: "Coin toss co-state potentials: With the measurement protocol decided, in..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "If we correlate with the consciousness, can we consider that all is..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Ian Durham, Maybe still for the rankings and the links with this..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 22, 2019

CATEGORY: Is Reality Digital or Analog? Essay Contest (2010-2011) [back]
TOPIC: A Digital Portal Into Our Understanding Of The Universe by Joseph Markell [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author joseph markell wrote on Feb. 8, 2011 @ 12:43 GMT
Essay Abstract

In this essay I describe a digitally conceivable universe made up of infinitesimal registers that may facilitate further study and explanation of the co-existence of multiple entities and time. The registers may lead to testing, recognition, and discovery of how energies, matter and life could occupy the exact same space as a living human, unaware of this connection. To understand how this co-existence could take place involves first describing one unique register in a digital form. Second, using that digital form to perceive the possible ways that such co-existence could be comprehended. Third, I attempt through extrapolation of analog means and peculiar random events to provide the reader a personal connection possibly based upon their own experiences and environments to give a believable consideration that such a digitally described view of the cosmos may exist.

Author Bio

Drafted into the U.S. Military by lottery in the late nineteen-sixties I ran the gamut of career experiences from farming to engineering technician and anywhere in-between. I am a husband, father of six, grandfather of fourteen. My thinking patterns involve analogies and I've used one of my hobbies, writing, as an outlet. Some of my short stories have been published in the Glia society journal.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward wrote on Feb. 9, 2011 @ 05:38 GMT
Dear Joseph,

I found you essay surprising but also interesting and easy to read to the end because it was so intriguing and different.I do not want to give a prolonged criticism. Though you didn't answer the essay question, you wrote something thought provoking and original nonetheless.I hope I can get the picture of your giant magnetic hand, stirring things up, out of my mind! Thank you for sharing your ideas with us. Best wishes, Georgina.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author joseph markell replied on Feb. 10, 2011 @ 21:11 GMT
Gergina,

Thank-you for your kind comments. I especially am grateful for your first sentence, and, that the, "magnetic hand" was stuck in your mind. After numerous iterations, I thought this final form of my essay was the most lucid and readable.

It seems difficult to me, to give a definitive answer about the Universe, without asking more questions about it... and questioning things sometimes lead us to answers.

Thanks

joe

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny replied on Feb. 11, 2011 @ 15:16 GMT
Hi to both of you,

Indeed it's original,intriguing.

Best and good luck.

Steve

Bookmark and Share

Author joseph markell replied on Feb. 12, 2011 @ 01:47 GMT
Hello Steve,

Thank-you for your positive comments and wish of good luck.

joe

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Feb. 14, 2011 @ 19:09 GMT
Dear Joseph

A refreshing read, and I agree there's a lot more going on in nature than conventional wisdom tries to insist, and many better ways of viewing the universe. I believe we'll continue to find our past lack of intelligence embarrassing.

I still particularly agree with the puzzle solving, or 'pattern matching' approach, which I've followed rigorously in my own essay. With an open mind that itself can lead to the extraordinary.

I wish you luck

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author joseph markell replied on Feb. 15, 2011 @ 02:49 GMT
Dear Peter:

Thank-you for your opinions and review of my essay. We seemingly do share some similar thoughts or approaches, and I really enjoyed your essay.

I tried to write my essay as short and readable as possible. I feel the concepts described in my essay may act as a "tool" for spatially conceptualizing processes that others, hopefully may find helpful.

Thanks,

joe

Bookmark and Share

Constantinos Ragazas wrote on Mar. 11, 2011 @ 03:54 GMT
dear joseph markell ,

energy quanta are a think of the past! we need “A World Without Quanta”! and you can make that critical difference to help bring it about. cast your approval for a world that makes sense and bring this essay out of the cusp of 'being or not being'! the results are deeply significant and totally iconoclastic. but we need to bring this essay to the 'church' on time! you among others will be better for it!

all the best,

constantinos

Bookmark and Share

Paul Halpern wrote on Mar. 13, 2011 @ 19:04 GMT
Dear Joe,

I thought that your description of a goldfish unaware of the forces that guide it offered a creative image. It reminded me in a way of Plato's cave allegory, in which those confined to a cave could see only shadows of the larger world outside.

Best wishes,

Paul

Paul Halpern, The Discreet Charm of the Discrete

Bookmark and Share

Author joseph markell replied on Mar. 15, 2011 @ 14:54 GMT
Dear Paul:

Thanks for commenting, I really appreciate it. On the same line of thinking, "...there are more things on heaven and earth Horatio, that are dreamt up in your philosophy."

Thank God that someone long ago got tired of carrying things on their back or dragging behind them on two sticks and deviated from the pack... Ah Ha... the WHEEL!

Best of luck,

joe

Bookmark and Share

Paul Halpern replied on Mar. 15, 2011 @ 15:12 GMT
Dear Joe,

Great quote! Yes, it took someone innovative for the invention of the wheel. I wonder what the community's reaction was at the time.

Best wishes,

Paul

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.