Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Constantinos Ragazas: on 3/11/11 at 3:33am UTC, wrote Dear James, Energy quanta are a think of the past! We need “A World...

james akerlund: on 3/10/11 at 4:28am UTC, wrote Hi Paul, I read your author Bio for the paper you posted and I see you...

Paul Halpern: on 3/9/11 at 16:27pm UTC, wrote Dear Jim, Interesting to speculate about parallel realms with different...

Peter Jackson: on 3/5/11 at 16:31pm UTC, wrote Hi Jim Interestingly different paper, worth a higher place, though I'm not...

basudeba: on 2/5/11 at 2:36am UTC, wrote Dear Sir, Kindly excuse us if our post has hurt your feelings. That was...

james akerlund: on 2/4/11 at 4:20am UTC, wrote Dear Basudeba, I've done to you an injustice in the above post. I have...

james akerlund: on 2/4/11 at 3:33am UTC, wrote Dear Basudeba, I am easily confused and your post is confusing me in...

basudeba: on 2/4/11 at 1:33am UTC, wrote Dear Sir, We have gone through your excellent deductions. We have a few...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Eckard,you seems persuaded by your Words and thoughts.I don t understand..." in First Things First: The...

Eckard Blumschein: "In Darwinism/Weismannism there is no first cause, just a causal chain...." in First Things First: The...

Steve Agnew: "There are some questions that do not seem to have answers in the classical..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Agnew: "Yes, there are two very different narratives. The classical narrative works..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "lol no indeed it is not a lot,like I said I liked your general ideas.I have..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Agnew: "There are three assumptions...is that a lot? The aether particle mass, the..." in The Demon in the Machine...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 14, 2019

CATEGORY: Is Reality Digital or Analog? Essay Contest (2010-2011) [back]
TOPIC: A Universe Invariant Numeral System by James R. Akerlund [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author james r. akerlund wrote on Feb. 2, 2011 @ 09:43 GMT
Essay Abstract

A proof is presented to show that there are parallel universes in math. It is then shown that these parallel universes have different values for the math constants. Math is then shown to be divided into universe invariant and universe specific groups. A universe invariant numeral system is presented. And finally we argue for the universe being digital, but as the paper shows, it's a bit more complicated then the digital we've been taught.

Author Bio

Jim Akerlund has been to several different colleges and universities, but has yet to receive a degree. He currently lives in Colorado where he works at jobs that have no homework and very little overtime, so that he can invest his time in the understanding of parallel unvierses. Current research interests are how math is communicated to the universes and how to communicate to other universes. If Erdös' "The Book" comes to mind then you know what he is pursuing.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Feb. 2, 2011 @ 20:09 GMT
So if we replace the symbol "1" with the symbol "u" we have a different numeral system. The symbols are arbitrary in the first place so I don't see how that changes anything.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author james r. akerlund replied on Feb. 3, 2011 @ 04:40 GMT
Whenever we use symbols, two things occur; one, the symbol is created, and two a definition is attached to that symbol. Many symbols have more then one definition. That is OK, because we usually resolve this by the context in which the symbol is used. If I had used "u" in a text message, then that would be defined as "you". In the paper, "1" is used in the way you would usually define as one. The definition of "u" is defined in the proof, and I state this several times in the paper when I say "as defined above". It is my belief that the definitions of "1" and "u" are different and therefore that is how things are changed.

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous replied on Feb. 3, 2011 @ 08:44 GMT
To me the proofs repetitively equate u with 1 and do not show any differentiation. I don't get how you believe the definitions are different when the proofs say they are equal.

Bookmark and Share

Author james r. akerlund replied on Feb. 4, 2011 @ 00:39 GMT
Hello Anonymous,

Here is a quote from the paper. It is after the first two proofs, but before the last one. "With the above proofs we can now create a less simplified form of the three basic laws of equality for any commutative ring R for any single value of u." The "any single value or u" section of that sentence is telling you that u can have any value you can come up with and all of them not equal to 1.

Jim Akerlund

Bookmark and Share

basudeba wrote on Feb. 4, 2011 @ 01:33 GMT
Dear Sir,

We have gone through your excellent deductions. We have a few comments regarding the mathematical representation of physics.

In our essay, we have proved that physics is mathematical in specified ways only. All mathematical manipulations are not physics. The reason for this is simple. The validity of a mathematical statement rests on its logical consistency. The validity of a physical statement rests on its correspondence to reality. Thus, we have shown that all mathematical statements are not physical statements also and that all physical phenomena cannot be explained through mathematical equations. We quote some of your statements to prove the above view:

You say: Reflexive law: a = a.

Symmetric law: If a = b, then b = a.

Transitive law: If a = b and b = c, then a = c, valid for all a, b, and c.

There cannot be any dispute about the Reflexive law. But the Symmetric law and the Transitive law can be misleading. In the first place, if a is described not as a, but as b, then the statement a = b shows that a and b are not identical in all respects, but have similarities in some respects only. This creates a big difference between the mathematics involving a and b as shown below.

Number is a property of substances by which we differentiate between similars. If there is no other object similar to a given object, we call that as one. If there are similar objects, that gives rise to the number sequences based on the sequence of their perception. All physical phenomena is nothing but accumulation and reduction of numbers, thus, mathematical. However, fundamentally, mathematics is done only in two ways. Linear accumulation and reduction is called addition and subtraction. Nonlinear accumulation and reduction is called multiplication and division. Linear accumulation is possible only between similars, only between the a in your example. Nonlinear accumulation is possible only between partially similars, i.e., only between a and b in your example. The results of these two operations do not give identical result. 3a plus 2a is 5a, but 3a plus 2b is not 5a or 5b, when a = b. It is 3a+2b. Similarly, if 3a is multiplied by 2b, it is 6ab. This puts severe restrictions in the mathematics involving the Reflexive law and the other laws quoted by you. Often this difference is overlooked in theoretical formulations making the mathematical structures unphysical.

Regards.

Basudeba.

Bookmark and Share

Author james r. akerlund replied on Feb. 4, 2011 @ 03:33 GMT
Dear Basudeba,

I am easily confused and your post is confusing me in spades. So, in order to begin to ease this confusion I am going to take one of your sentences and ask you some questions about it. Here we go.

This is the sentence I wish to ask you questions about

"Number is a property of substances by which we differentiate between similars."

A) How many "t"'s are in the sentence? Answer 5

B) How many letters are in the sentence? Answer 66

C) How many letters and punctuation marks are in the sentence? Answer 67

D) How many spaces, letters, and punctuation marks are in the sentence? Answer 78

As far as I can tell, your sentence, I quote, is a definition of number. If that is the case, then some of the answers to A, B, C, and D aren't valid numbers according to your definition. According to your definition, only A is the valid answer. B isn't valid because letters aren't similar to "t"'s they are different from them. As for C and D they are just more examples of non-similar things that according to your definition aren't a number. Can you see my confusion?

Jim Akerlund

Bookmark and Share

Author james r. akerlund replied on Feb. 4, 2011 @ 04:20 GMT
Dear Basudeba,

I've done to you an injustice in the above post. I have faked ignorance on my part when I asked you questions about your definition of number. I know that, in math, the question of the definition of number is not a light subject and can not be answered in one sentence. Some of the best minds in math have been asking what a number is throughout it's history. As far as I know, that answer still hasn't been resolved. Here is a website that gives one 19th centuries mathematicans attempts to resolve the issue of what a number is. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/frege-logic/ I suggest you read the article, it may alter your future research directions. I apologize if the above post insulted you.

Jim Akerlund

Bookmark and Share

basudeba replied on Feb. 5, 2011 @ 02:36 GMT
Dear Sir,

Kindly excuse us if our post has hurt your feelings. That was not our intention. Since it is the forum of Foundational Questions Institute, we wanted to point out the conceptual aspects.

Regarding your first post, we may realize that you are only proving our point. How did you count the numbers 5, 66, 67 and 78. One by one only. How did you count the different characters? By differentiating between similars only. What is our statement? It is the markings on your computer screen that is a substance. How did you "know"? Because you perceived it, which is nothing but the result of your measurement, which in turn is nothing but comparison with similars.

Regarding your second post, we thank you for your information. We have written a complete book on this subject and analyzed the different aspects of numbers including number sequence, negative numbers, zero, infinity, etc. elaborately in this book. In case you want to read, kindly forward your mailing address to mbasudeba@gmail.com

Thanks and regards,

basudeba

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Mar. 5, 2011 @ 16:31 GMT
Hi Jim

Interestingly different paper, worth a higher place, though I'm not a mathematician. I've derived a unification model that leads to a logical proof of multiple universes you may be interested in. Do read my essay; http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/803 but the logical conclusions on universes is at; http://vixra.org/abs/1102.0016

Best of luck

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Paul Halpern wrote on Mar. 9, 2011 @ 16:27 GMT
Dear Jim,

Interesting to speculate about parallel realms with different mathematical systems. Fascinating to imagine that the mathematical laws could be different elsewhere.

Best regards,

Paul

Paul Halpern, The Discreet Charm of the Discrete

Bookmark and Share

Author james r. akerlund replied on Mar. 10, 2011 @ 04:28 GMT
Hi Paul,

I read your author Bio for the paper you posted and I see you have studied general relativity. Well, in order to study general relativity you have to understand tensor calculus. I do not know of a program that teaches you tensor calculus without studying and writing mathematical proofs. I suspect that you are so famaliar with proofs that you could recite from memory Euclid's proof that there are an infinite number of primes. Are you saying, from your post, that Euclid was only speculating that there are infinite primes? I have seen some strange things in math lately, I'm just wondering if this is a new trend I need to start reading up on.

Jim Akerlund

Bookmark and Share

Constantinos Ragazas wrote on Mar. 11, 2011 @ 03:33 GMT
Dear James,

Energy quanta are a think of the past! We need “A World Without Quanta”! And you can make that critical difference to help bring it about. Cast your approval for a world that makes sense and bring this essay out of the cusp of 'being or not being'! The results are deeply significant and totally iconoclastic. But we need to bring this essay to the 'church' on time! You among others will be better for it!

All the best,

Constantinos

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.