Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

basudeba: on 3/20/11 at 6:00am UTC, wrote Sub: Possibility of manipulation in judging criteria – suggestions for...

basudeba: on 3/13/11 at 7:37am UTC, wrote Dear Sir, We believe that the validity of a physical statement rests on...

Donatello Dolce: on 3/11/11 at 6:33am UTC, wrote Dear Gene, I would like to bring your attention to my essay Clockwork...

Gene Yerger: on 3/7/11 at 14:36pm UTC, wrote Basudeba, Thank you for your insightful comment. I agree with...

Peter Jackson: on 3/5/11 at 17:13pm UTC, wrote Gene Just read your essay and found it highly logical and pertinent. I...

basudeba: on 3/4/11 at 1:19am UTC, wrote Dear Sir, We had gone through your excellent analysis that exhibits your...

Alan Lowey: on 2/21/11 at 14:33pm UTC, wrote I appreciate your reply Gene, but I'm thinking about very basic concepts...

Gene Yerger: on 2/11/11 at 16:25pm UTC, wrote Alan, Thank you for your consideration of my essay and your comment. ...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Eckard Blumschein: "Robert, You referred to "Philosophers On a Physics Experiment that..." in First Things First: The...

Robert McEachern: "Superpostions are irrelevant to any description of a thing "as it is"; they..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "Be sure Joe ,you are not realist you know,you told us things that nobody..." in First Things First: The...

Georgina Woodward: "What exists unobserved is relevant to QM. Whether it is modeled..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "this second law is so important,my theory of spherisation and these quantum..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Steve Dufourny: "I must explain what is the real meaning of Spherisation in my theory.It is..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Steve Dufourny: "lol no indeed it is not a lot,like I said I liked your general ideas.I have..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Agnew: "There are three assumptions...is that a lot? The aether particle mass, the..." in The Demon in the Machine...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 16, 2019

CATEGORY: Is Reality Digital or Analog? Essay Contest (2010-2011) [back]
TOPIC: The Cosmic Code by Gene T. Yerger [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Gene T. Yerger wrote on Jan. 27, 2011 @ 11:02 GMT
Essay Abstract

The classical description of nature is characterized by the notion of continuity. In the search for a digital reality underlying this representation of the physical world it would be advantageous to identify a property of elementary particles such as electrons that would support such a discrete quantum perspective. In my theory, I propose that the inherent angular momentum known as spin that is possessed by all fundamental particles is just such a characteristic. Spin is an intrinsic property of electrons much like mass and charge. Most importantly it is quantized, meaning that when measured, the spin along any direction can only take a number of discrete values. In the case of the electron, the spin can take on only two orientations: either parallel to the direction in which it is being measured (spin up) or anti-parallel to the direction it is being measured (spin down.) I will argue that this two valued degree of freedom constitutes a part of a cosmic code that serves to support an electron’s internal periodic mechanism – the electron clock - that is responsible for the actualization of the reality of the particle itself.

Author Bio

The author received his undergraduate degrees in business administration and politics from Ursinus College, a small highly regarded liberal arts college in suburban Philadelphia. He is the author of the book The Meaning of Time – A Theory of Nothing. The book represents his vision of how general relativity and quantum theory might be combined in a unified theoretical framework.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Alan Lowey wrote on Feb. 10, 2011 @ 15:17 GMT
Hi Gene and thank you for your essay. Have you ever considered the imagery of the fundamental particle being analogous to an Archimedes screw? This has both particle and wave properties, does it not? What do you think to this visualisation of an electron or photon?

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Gene T. Yerger replied on Feb. 11, 2011 @ 16:25 GMT
Alan,

Thank you for your consideration of my essay and your comment.

Although my theory is silent on this issue, I believe your idea would be analogous to the photon as it implies continuity, motion in space (not in time) and a normal sense of causation - all characteristics I would associate with the photon.

In my theory of the electron, however, a positive energy wave intrinsic to the electron moving forward in time (not space) interacts with negative energy waves intrinsic to the electron moving backward in time at what I call the temporal event horizon. The temporal event horizon is a boundary condition representing the nominal extent of the electron and its notion of the present moment (its reality).

This constant ad infinitum sequential interaction - the Zitterbewegung - of forward in time/backward in time waves leads to a discrete rather than continuous reality at the quantum realm - time rather than space is quantized. It is in effect a process of retrocausation whereby the future interacts with the past and thereby creates the electron's reality.

I hope this is helpful.

Best Regards

Gene

Bookmark and Share

Alan Lowey replied on Feb. 21, 2011 @ 14:33 GMT
I appreciate your reply Gene, but I'm thinking about very basic concepts whilst considering this mechanical model of the graviton being an Archimedes screw. A rotational energy is transformed into a force of attraction. Think about it. If Newton or one of his contemporaries had suggested this, we would never have had Einstein talking about a 'fabric' of spacetime continuum! Best wishes, Alan

Bookmark and Share

basudeba wrote on Mar. 4, 2011 @ 01:19 GMT
Dear Sir,

We had gone through your excellent analysis that exhibits your intellectual acumen. In addition to the deficiencies of the Schrödinger equation, we will like to add the following.

It is said that quantum mechanical systems are completely described by its wave function? From this it would appear that quantum mechanics is fundamentally about the behavior of...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Gene T. Yerger replied on Mar. 7, 2011 @ 14:36 GMT
Basudeba,

Thank you for your insightful comment.

I agree with your assessment of Schrödinger’s position. His objection to quantum theory had its genesis in the Copenhagen interpretation. Although he was involved in the group that originally formulated the Copenhagen interpretation, this was a very personal issue for Schrödinger, because it directly involved the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

basudeba replied on Mar. 13, 2011 @ 07:37 GMT
Dear Sir,

We believe that the validity of a physical statement rests on its correspondence to reality. If the theory can explain a physical phenomenon correctly and completely, then it must be valid. This requires perception of the phenomenon and communication of this perception. As we have shown in our Essay, the content of perception is “ ‘this’ is like ‘that’ ”- i.e.,...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Mar. 5, 2011 @ 17:13 GMT
Gene

Just read your essay and found it highly logical and pertinent. I agree fully with causality, though my own approach uses logic in a more macro sense. It did however occur to me towards the end that your mechanistic theory was essential to create the logical 'landscape' I've derived with a model of discrete fields, with domains from a single electron (photo-electron cloud propagation when accelerated) to the macro, inertial frames.

I identified the importance of 'spin' in last years essay, which languished, but now have a full and fundamental conceptual theory explaining SR and GR with a quantum mechanism, effectively of wave particle interaction. Causality is completed by avoiding Bells inequality to give Local Reality. The consequences really are very fundamental and far reaching.

I do hope you can read, comment and vote on my essay, but if you do don't try to 'skim' over it as complex dynamic conceptual visualisation is needed.

Best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Donatello Dolce wrote on Mar. 11, 2011 @ 06:33 GMT
Dear Gene,

I would like to bring your attention to my essay Clockwork Quantum Universe. I propose a model similar to Zitterbewegung but based on the de Broglie hypothesis of intrinsic periodicitties. You will find interesting overlaps with you idea.

Best regards,

Donatello

Bookmark and Share

basudeba wrote on Mar. 20, 2011 @ 06:00 GMT
Sub: Possibility of manipulation in judging criteria – suggestions for improvement.

Sir,

We had filed a complaint to FQXi and Scienticfic American regarding Possibility of manipulation in judging criteria and giving some suggestions for improvement. Acopy of our letter is enclosed for your kind information.

“We are a non-professional and non-academic entrant to the Essay...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.