Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Author Yuri Danoyan+: on 5/6/11 at 0:59am UTC, wrote So smart author no entry best 35. It is not fair play! Why did you went...

Ayind Mahamba: on 3/14/11 at 18:52pm UTC, wrote Hello Johannes, congratulation for your essay! I don't know if we are...

Author Yuri Danoyan+: on 2/25/11 at 3:06am UTC, wrote It seems to me the Holographic Universe only true answer. ...

Johannes Koelman: on 2/4/11 at 2:05am UTC, wrote Dear Narsep -- the XOR rule is an example, and nothing more than that....

ioannis hadjidakis: on 2/3/11 at 7:47am UTC, wrote Dear Koelman, The physical meaning of XOR rule may be that: local...

Johannes Koelman: on 2/2/11 at 1:52am UTC, wrote Ok, with 1), 2) and 3) solved, let's see if we can also sort out 4). In...

narsep: on 2/1/11 at 11:52am UTC, wrote 3) I am wrong again. XOR rule is used in superposition as well. narsep

Ioannis (narsep): on 2/1/11 at 11:47am UTC, wrote Dear Koelman, Thank you for your informative respond. 1) OK although rule...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Ian Durham, Maybe still for the rankings and the links with this..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Steve Dufourny: "Georgina,in the past we have discussed about this Fith force after the 3..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "I work about my theory of spherisation with quantum and cosmological..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "An other point very important considering this nature.Ecology is so..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

janey hug: "Vape Juice Wholesale When it pertains to vape juice, you require to obtain..." in Ed Witten on the Nature...

Forever Fiances: "Welcome to Forever Fiances, an invitation company in San Diego. Since 2008,..." in Vita Nuova

Georgina Woodward: "The kind of time required, over which change is happening, is sequential..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Georgina Woodward: "In the many cat version as time progresses there are less and less cats..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 21, 2019

CATEGORY: Is Reality Digital or Analog? Essay Contest (2010-2011) [back]
TOPIC: How To Build Holographic Spacetime by Johannes Vianney Koelman [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Johannes Vianney Koelman wrote on Jan. 25, 2011 @ 11:53 GMT
Essay Abstract

Is it possible to render holographic spacetime starting from simple discrete building blocks? I will demonstrate that not only is the answer 'yes', but also that to do so, surprisingly simple building blocks suffice. Holographic 2D toy models result that you can play with and investi-gate in terms of De-Bruijn-type sequences, dual descriptions and path sums.

Author Bio

Johannes is a physicist who holds a PhD from Eindhoven University of Technology. He blogs on subjects including cosmology, relativity and quantum physics and is a featured writer on Science 2.0. Johannes is affiliated with a Fortune Global 500 company in the role of chief scientist.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

ioannis hadjidakis wrote on Jan. 31, 2011 @ 12:46 GMT
Dear Dr. Koelmann,

I think your essay concludes to right results and worth much attention.

Please see attachement,

Regards,

Ioannis

attachments: Dear_Koelman.doc

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Johannes Vianney Koelman replied on Feb. 1, 2011 @ 01:23 GMT
Hello Ioannis -- thanks for your kind words.

A quick reaction to answer your questions.

1) The 'puzzle pieces' are constructed such that putting them together enforces a XOR relationship between the blue disks and the (yellow) voids. You can indeed build the same pattern using the puzzle pieces you proposed, but these can also fit together in many ways that violate the XOR relationship.

2) Not sure what you mean by 6 bits being only needed for the second configuration in figure 2. Can you elaborate please?

3) The superposition you can imagine as resulting from putting the left and middle configuration of figure 2 on top of each other. There where two blue disks are stacked on top of each other, you remove both disks. In all other circumstances (0 or 1 disks on top of each other) you leave the situation as is. The configuration that results is the one shown on the right-hand side of figure 2.

Regards,

Johannes

Bookmark and Share

Ioannis (narsep) replied on Feb. 1, 2011 @ 11:47 GMT
Dear Koelman,

Thank you for your informative respond.

1) OK although rule applied is said to be XOR and not enforcement is necessary (the difference to clarity is tremendous).

2) Sorry it is my fault (7 bits are needed).

3) So in superposition no XOR rule is used (instead: 11 >0, 00 >1, 01 >1, 10 >1)

4) I would insist for the meaning of "degrees of freedom" in your essay.

regards, narsep

Bookmark and Share

narsep replied on Feb. 1, 2011 @ 11:52 GMT
3) I am wrong again. XOR rule is used in superposition as well.

narsep

Bookmark and Share

ioannis hadjidakis wrote on Feb. 3, 2011 @ 07:47 GMT
Dear Koelman,

The physical meaning of XOR rule may be that: local interactions are due to the differences between two static entities and when there are differences between two static entities global interactions occur. Any interaction (event) takes place in virtual part of our world while real part accommodates the static entities.

I wonder whether meaningful (and useful) results could be extracted if asymmetric rules (time asymmetry) are used in your systems (e.g. 00 -> 0, 11 -> 0, 10 -> 1, 01 -> 0 or 00 -> 0, 11 -> 0, 10 -> 0, 01 -> 1).

(I am absorbing your response for the "degrees of freedom"). It is needless to express my thanks for any of your replies.

Regards, narsep

Bookmark and Share

Author Johannes Vianney Koelman replied on Feb. 4, 2011 @ 02:05 GMT
Dear Narsep -- the XOR rule is an example, and nothing more than that. Other rules can be chosen, and the same holographic statistics will result.

However, you have to avoid selecting a rule that leads to some degenerate behavior. With two binary inputs here is not much room to maneuver. The XOR rules work quite well, but the (spatially asymmetric) variant you propose will lead to rather uninteresting straight line patterns.

If you start working with two trinary inputs (or even higher number of allowed cell values) many more possibilities open up. Selecting a rule randomly will almost always lead to 'rich' patterns and holographic scaling.

Bookmark and Share

Author Yuri Danoyan+ wrote on Feb. 25, 2011 @ 03:06 GMT
It seems to me the Holographic Universe only true answer.

http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/946

Good luck!

Bookmark and Share

Ayind Mahamba wrote on Mar. 14, 2011 @ 18:52 GMT
Hello Johannes,

congratulation for your essay!

I don't know if we are exactly on the same line but I think you'll enjoy reading my essay because of my proposition for "simplexity" as a good answer to the"holographic" approach...

(see my essay here http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/952)

Best regards, good luck for the contest

Ayind Mahamba

Bookmark and Share

Author Yuri Danoyan+ wrote on May. 6, 2011 @ 00:59 GMT
So smart author no entry best 35.

It is not fair play!

Why did you went to industry?

All the best.

Yuri

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.