Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

songjoong df: on 1/2/18 at 8:44am UTC, wrote jual qnc jelly gamat di magelang jual qnc jelly gamat di mataram jual qnc...

songjoong df: on 12/27/17 at 6:34am UTC, wrote cara menjadi reseller qnc jelly gamat Cara Menjadi Agen Qnc Jelly Gamat ...

Brain Wave: on 8/22/17 at 4:40am UTC, wrote Beauty Tips Skin Tips Beauty Tips For Face Natural Beauty Tips Beauty...

William Orem: on 8/13/07 at 17:28pm UTC, wrote Yes indeed, to all of the above. I'm continuing the discussion on a new...

Count Iblis: on 7/30/07 at 15:57pm UTC, wrote Things are even more problematic if you consider the fact that information...

Mike: on 7/25/07 at 17:17pm UTC, wrote I've sometimes wondered whether or not we would be able to recognize...

Invader Xan: on 7/25/07 at 15:38pm UTC, wrote I must just say, is it not still somewhat "terran" to assume DNA or RNA as...

Hal: on 7/24/07 at 20:52pm UTC, wrote An interesting example of this right here on earth is the so-called...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Agnew: "There is no difference between a word explanation and a math description...." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "I am going to tell you an important thing about the aethers. I thought that..." in Alternative Models of...

Joe Fisher: "Jason, I post sensible comments. I do not provide audio files. Joe..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

halim sutarmaja: "dewapoker hadir untuk semua pecinta game poker dengan teknologi terbaru dan..." in New Nuclear "Magic...

Jason Wolfe: "Hi Georgina, Steve, What is reality? The humorous answer, almost at the..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Jason Wolfe: "As for religious fundamentalists, I would rather deal with them, then with..." in More on agency from the...

Jason Wolfe: "The best we can do with the environment is to plant more trees and..." in More on agency from the...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi BLOGS
November 19, 2019

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Can We Recognize Aliens? [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Blogger William Orem wrote on Jul. 21, 2007 @ 14:32 GMT
The National Research Council has released a report on the search for alien life forms that warns -- rightly, in my view -- against "Terran" thinking. Terran, or Earth-based thinking, is the kind of necessarily blinkered expectation that takes only the Earth as its model. Life out there, Terran thinking assumes, looks roughly like life here, perhaps with some fanciful variations. When H.G. Wells...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

report post as inappropriate

bob wrote on Jul. 21, 2007 @ 23:44 GMT
Temporal problems too. Earth's day, year, and gravity are not likely to be duplicated. Do we recognize a species to whom we look like hummingbirds on speed? Human temporal experience is not shared even with other species here.

Bookmark and Share

paul valletta wrote on Jul. 23, 2007 @ 22:07 GMT
The most important factor in life-form existence, has to be environment?

You would not expect find Human-Beings walking around on the ocean floor near the mid-atlantic ridge? and like wise you would not expect the species that benefit from the thermal vent hotspots deep in the ocean, to be able to adapt to the climate of the Antartic?

It is the environment that shapes the species.

Rna, in chemical structure form would have been a direct result from the Earths environment many eons ago, if one takes the current environment now (inside the human body), then one can make calculations as to the suitability of Rna over Dna, calibrated from the other components that provide the most suitable environment for the existence of life giving compounds.

I would expect (your posting seems to indicate) if one synthesize's a large number of different molecular environments, and oserve which solutions provide the "best" for Dna survivability, one can deduce that this would be comparable to the actual evolution of the Earth's chemical history, and thus, one can produce subtle changes as observe where life thrives, and where it gets instantly wiped out?

Getting life to "exist" over a long period of time is the tricky part, a perfect environment may have taken eons to occur, and a suitable sustainable environment can be maintained only with small subltle changes, rather than rapid changes.

WRT the 2001 "space oddity" ? stargate sequence, I have always seen it as a time-travel, faster than light speed, that takes Bowman "into his future", where he meets the "older" Bowman/himself?..and of course the opening sequence of 2001 is about the very thing of changing environments?..the apes are quite happy to go about their existence without any friction to each other, then change occurs as a "new" electro-magnetic resonating obilisk appears, and they investigate it's appearence by approaching and touching. This experience quite litirally "shocks" the apes and instigates thought?..then into other local things such as "bones"..the experience of "rain".."lightening"..and everything else they previously ignored!..the rest is as I'm sure you know is "History"!

The film has a layered content, relating to "change" in environments, cause and effect?

Bookmark and Share

Hal wrote on Jul. 24, 2007 @ 20:52 GMT
An interesting example of this right here on earth is the so-called nanobacteria (sometimes spelled nannobacteria). These are small particles, less than 100 nm, found in various organic and inorganic media which bear some resemblance to bacteria. Some researchers claim to have seen them reproduce in culture and show other signs of being alive. However they are too small to be "life as we know it", too small to hold DNA, ribosomes and the related molecular machinery that we understand as part of life, hence mainstream biology rejects the notion that they are living entities. The experimental data is inconclusive but it looks to me like much of the skepticism is based on the theoretical impossibility of such small organisms rather than hard evidence. This attitude betrays a set of strong assumptions about the nature of life.

Bookmark and Share

Invader Xan wrote on Jul. 25, 2007 @ 15:38 GMT
I must just say, is it not still somewhat "terran" to assume DNA or RNA as the most likely nucleic acids? There exists on Earth, for instance, PNA - peptide nucleic acid. Essentially RNA without a sugar phosphate backbone.

Indeed, aside from the question of cosmic abundance, why even carbon? Many properties of carbon are shared with other non-metallic elements, notably sulphur and phosphorus. These are often dismissed due to their "high reactivity", but chemical reactivity is a relative concept -- largely a question of kinetics. After all, even water is flammable if kept in a fluorine atmosphere...

Bookmark and Share

Mike wrote on Jul. 25, 2007 @ 17:17 GMT
I've sometimes wondered whether or not we would be able to recognize sentience in another lifeform and, conversely, whether our civilization would be recognizable as a product of sentience if it were examimed through the lens of a truly alien intelligence.

Consider that to an untrained eye, an anthill looks pretty chaotic. If we could see the pheromone trails, we would recognize a great deal more structure associated with the colony. If we could watch the evolution of the trail networks over a sufficiently long span of time, we would begin to see the colony as a single entity rather than a collection of ants. Now consider how difficult it is for most people to learn to see the ant colony from the latter perspective.

Bookmark and Share

Count Iblis wrote on Jul. 30, 2007 @ 15:57 GMT
Things are even more problematic if you consider the fact that information is conserved (according to the known laws of physics). So, one could argue that we also exist in the early universe (but we would still subjectively perceive ourselves to be alive in the universe as it is today).

Bookmark and Share

Blogger William Orem wrote on Aug. 13, 2007 @ 17:28 GMT
Yes indeed, to all of the above. I'm continuing the discussion on a new page to include the hypothesis of DNA Dust that recently came out in the news.

Bookmark and Share

Brain Wave wrote on Aug. 22, 2017 @ 04:40 GMT
Beauty Tips

Skin Tips

Beauty Tips For Face

Natural Beauty Tips

Beauty Tips And Tricks

Male Enhancement Supplements

Weight Loss Supplements

Skin Care Products

Hair Care Products

Detox And Cleanse Reviews

Alpha Prime Elite

Garcinia Pure Pro

Weight Loss That Works

Pure Asian Garcinia

Buy Garcinia...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

songjoong sdfsd df wrote on Dec. 27, 2017 @ 06:34 GMT
cara menjadi reseller qnc jelly gamat

Cara Menjadi Agen Qnc Jelly Gamat

manfaat qnc jelly gamat

Obat Tradisional Kista Nabothian Tanpa Operasi

cara menjadi agen qnc jelly gamat

cara menjadi reseller qnc jelly gamat

cara mengobati gondongan pada anak

cara mengobati kanker nasofaring secara alami

obat pembersih sisa janin setelah keguguran

cara mengobati kanker pankreas secara tradisional

obat tradisional benjolan di leher sebelah kanan

obat tradisional tipes untuk orang dewasa

obat tradisional untuk menghentikan haid berkepanjangan

Obat Tradisional Pembekuan Darah Di Otak

Bookmark and Share

songjoong sdfsd df wrote on Jan. 2, 2018 @ 08:44 GMT
jual qnc jelly gamat di magelang

jual qnc jelly gamat di mataram

jual qnc jelly gamat di metro

jual qnc jelly gamat di mojokerto

jual qnc jelly gamat di padang panjang

jual qnc jelly gamat di padang sidempuan

obat tradisional kista payudara tanpa operasi

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.