Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Narendra Nath: on 12/19/09 at 12:28pm UTC, wrote Takers or no takers, Physics is permanent and so is knowledge. Life goes on...

NN: on 11/5/09 at 4:02am UTC, wrote Edwin, i will look it up. i wish your innovations could have received much...

Edwin Klingman: on 11/4/09 at 23:15pm UTC, wrote Dear Narendra, I have posted an extended comment on my page in response to...

Narendra: on 11/4/09 at 16:30pm UTC, wrote Dear Ray, i am sorry that i seem to have left your postings unattended. My...

Ray Munroe: on 11/4/09 at 14:02pm UTC, wrote Dear Narendra Nath, I knew I had read your paper once before. On Oct. 2nd,...

NN: on 11/3/09 at 0:31am UTC, wrote it s nice to hear some appreciation from readers.They need not take me...

Ajay: on 11/3/09 at 0:00am UTC, wrote Interesting, very thought provoking article.

Vijay Chand: on 11/2/09 at 18:24pm UTC, wrote Very interesting article. At least we know what we don't know. It may not...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Agnew: "There are some questions that do not seem to have answers in the classical..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Agnew: "Yes, there are two very different narratives. The classical narrative works..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "lol no indeed it is not a lot,like I said I liked your general ideas.I have..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Agnew: "There are three assumptions...is that a lot? The aether particle mass, the..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Dufourny: "Joe,so lol you speak to God or it has send you this information lol ?..." in First Things First: The...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 13, 2019

CATEGORY: What's Ultimately Possible in Physics? Essay Contest (2009) [back]
TOPIC: What Physics Can and Can't Do? by Narendra Nath [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author NARENDRA NATH wrote on Sep. 23, 2009 @ 09:49 GMT
Essay Abstract

It broadly mentions the achievements physics has made thus far and the possible projections for the future. What physics can not accomplish has also been provided. The anamolous behavior of garvitational field with respect to the other fields of interaction has been explored and speculated upon, limited by the data available about the early universe. Some overall comments have been included to emphasize the need for much closure colloboration between the physical and life sciences. It may help identify the nature of the human mind used for conceptualisation. Hopefully, some contributions may emerge to broaden the methodology used to conduct in sciences.

Author Bio

He has been a Professor of Physics at Kurukshetra University, India for around 23 years. On retirement 15 years back, he developed an interest in bridging the gap between science and humanity through a study of possible interfaces. He collaborated with industry involved in cable and battery manufactures as a consultant. Surprisingly it led him to strike a few novel ideas in design and processings involved terein. Two patent applications has since been filed and stand pending. Earlier, he has had assignments in both USA & UK, including the award of NSF Sr. Foreign Scientist Fellowship.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Cristi Stoica wrote on Sep. 23, 2009 @ 23:41 GMT
Dear Narendra,

Great to see your essay at this second FQXi contest. After reading it, I think that you beautifully present what physics was able to accomplish so far, and what you prospect it can do in the future. I cannot but agree with the need to be open minded in trying to understand the universe, which is much older and larger than we are.

Warm regards,

Cristi

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author NARENDRA NATH wrote on Sep. 24, 2009 @ 04:49 GMT
Thanks, Cristi. May i expect you to think and pen down some constructive criticisms too, as that will help the discussions.

Bookmark and Share

Cristi wrote on Sep. 24, 2009 @ 06:32 GMT
Well, if I will observe something that I would criticize, I will not hesitate. You wrote "Hopefully, some contributions may emerge to broaden the methodology used to conduct in sciences." Maybe you can develop more this idea.

Bookmark and Share

nn wrote on Sep. 24, 2009 @ 14:12 GMT
Very good query. i also need to think deeply. Today, science methodology is confined to observations, verifications and conclusions. As observations continue to be limited in accuracy, their intrepretation remains subjective too, as we limit ourselves conceptually to treat the data as reliable to the extnet of 100% while we do know from the Theory of probability that it all depends on the range of standard deviations that we allow ourselves to cover a certain large probability range. On the concepts/precepts side we limit ourselves by selecting some significant variables and control their boundary values. Thus we leave a gap that may well prove to be significant, but we often ignore it.

How to go about doing some modifications. i will say that let us give weightage to' hunches ' that may not directly be visible/sensed. That is a way of broadening the mind. Another way is to look at similar problems but from another discipline of science. How such situations were successfully tackled there, can only be done if we adopt a truly interdisciplinary approach. There is subjectivity here where an emotional component of the mind may prevail over the rational one that is often emphasised, may be more than what is necessary!

Bookmark and Share

Uncle Al wrote on Sep. 24, 2009 @ 15:24 GMT
"Unless we know what Physics has done, it is difficult to visualize what it can not do."

A mind free of the shackles of professional management lays lie to that. The polymerase chain reaction was conceptualized by Kary Mullis driving a winding mountain road while high on marijuana; 1993 Nobel Prize. Garrett Lisi using E8 to sidestep the whole of string theory is a "surfer dude." Pauli said determining the proton's magnetic moment could never compete with its theoretical prediction, Otto Stern won the 1943 Nobel Prize for showing theory failed. Einstein was not contingent upon Newton, he was orthogonal. Yang and Lee were pariahs Christmas 1956, particle Physics was rewritten New Year's day 1957, 1957 Nobel Prize. Penzias and Wilson received the 1978 Nobel Prize for shoveling pigeon poop. Heike Kamerlingh Onnes won the 1913 Nobel Prize for cooling mercury. Purcell, Pound, and Torrey discovered nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometry by torquing a rheostat dial wide open in frustration, 1952 Nobel Prize.

SuperGlue was born by destroying an Abbe refractometer. Zieglar-Natta catalysts for polyolefins was a lazy technician and a dirty autoclave. Penicillin was an old Petri plate. Sulfa drugs and Valium started as dyes. Cats prematurely died by the tens of thousands from cardiomyopayhy from commercial cat foods unknowingly containing insufficient taurine. Humans also need it.

"Autoritätsdusel ist der größte Feind der Wahrheit," Albert Einstein, 1901 - then he disavowed quantum mechanics. Physics is limited by discovery. Discovery is limited by small minds fueling big mouths about spreadsheets, PERT charts, and insubordination to authority. Physics ends when creative people are forbidden from looking by Official Truth.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Sep. 24, 2009 @ 18:59 GMT
Hi Dear NARENDRA NATH ,

Congratulations ,short but concrete and pragmatic .

Sincerely

Steve

Bookmark and Share

Author wrote on Sep. 25, 2009 @ 06:15 GMT
There is an amendment in the text where i happen to attribute the decay/instability of heavier atoms beyond lead, entirely to the nuclear weak field. The nuclear strong field also contributes to it.

Bookmark and Share

author wrote on Sep. 25, 2009 @ 13:43 GMT
Uncle Al, i respect your remarks and take them well. What is difficult for some can be easy for others, they are the chosen ones. Others need to think about their luck! As far as i am concerned i already attributed indebtness to the ' silent' component of the mind. The mind one normally uses belongs to the 'agitated/noisy' component. Long live Uncle Al!

Bookmark and Share

Cristi Stoica wrote on Sep. 26, 2009 @ 05:25 GMT
Dear Narendra,

You say: "How to go about doing some modifications. i will say that let us give weightage to' hunches ' that may not directly be visible/sensed. That is a way of broadening the mind."

I agree with you. On the other hand, I think that physicists are very imaginative. I think that they do not discover theories by observation, observation is used for providing some dots to connect, and then for testing the theories. But they invent the theories, using a lot of imagination. They formulate their hunches as hypotheses, and then develop the hypotheses in a more formal, mathematized shape.

I think that they are very imaginative, and they give, as you say, "weightage to' hunches '". They invented symmetry-driven interactions, extra dimensions, several totally distinct types of multiverses, stringy particles, latticeal spacetime, wormholes, dark matter and energy, spooky action at distance, observers extracting actual states from potential ones, observers deciding the past, block world, and so on. The border of physics is nothing less than science-fiction, from the imagination viewpoint. And all these are their hunches. Only then, they try to put these intuitions in a logical form, and even later try to derive testable consequences. And for many, the impossibility of experimental testing of their theories is not a reason of discouragement. Of course, I wouldn't say that there is no room for improvements.

Best regards,

Cristi

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Sep. 26, 2009 @ 09:49 GMT
Hello Mr Stoica ,

I agree with you indeed ,all imaginations are beautifuls and when the imaginaries are balanced with the physicality ,it's very relevant .

Never they must stop their works ,because it's important when the unification appears .Even If I don't agree about Strings ,extradimensions,multiverses,...

their mathematical extrapolations are so creatives and thus calls to the respect ,simply .

Indeed it's siences fictions but it's the human creation .....

The complemenatrity in the fundamentals are the main piece of our harmony ,actual and future .

Regards

Steve

Bookmark and Share

Narendra nath wrote on Sep. 26, 2009 @ 15:06 GMT
Steve & Cristi,

i have nothing to add to yur supportive comments. May i suggest that how the humans can develop a higher capacity for 'good imagination' is something that should interest us all. Though brain as an organ has been widely acclaimed as a depositary of all the imaginations a human can do, i personally will like to point to something we all call by the name 'mind' as distinct from 'brain'. Mind to me represents the totality of an individual human consciousness. The latter uses the brain but it is not solely confined to it. Its interaction with the cosmic consciousness is a parameter that has not been well investigated and /or understood. To a limited extent i have personally 'experienced' it through the practice of meditation cum yoga and thus believe in it through those personal experiences.

Bookmark and Share

Cristi Stoica wrote on Sep. 26, 2009 @ 19:07 GMT
Dear Mr. Dufourny, dear Narendra,

To me, consciousness is a mistery. I cannot imagine an explanation for it, limited to the brain or not. But it has to be one :o)

Cristi

Bookmark and Share

Author NN wrote on Sep. 27, 2009 @ 13:59 GMT
Mysteries are great incentives to persue any study at hand vigorously and with enthusiasm. Consciousness being a non-phyiscal entity is not directly open for scientific persuit.We need to give importance to self experiences of individuals that can be relied professionally.However, there is scope for investigating the human mind through intensive interaction between Physical and life sciences. That way one can indirectly get reasonable glimpses into the nature of consciousness. In fact awareness is tied to consciousness and without it the existence of the universe and the humans of the world can not be grasped. Thus there is no escape from consciousness. If one can expand methodology of science to include the experiences one actually feel following the practice of mind controlling techniques like yoga/meditation/zen, etc., lot of scope will open up to investigate ' consciousness ' in scientific terms. Without such broadening of mind, both science and humanity will not be able to make breakthrough progress. We badly need it in the presently troubled times the world over, as science and technology has not been able to provide peace of mind that every human desires the most.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Sep. 29, 2009 @ 12:29 GMT
Hello Mr Stoica ,Mr Narendra Nath,Uncle Al ,

You can say Steve ,I am young ,sometimes I don't know How can I do with the name hihiihii.

Yes it's difficult to encircle the entropy ,this ultim energy behind our walls.

It's not palpable indeed this conscious .Personnally I feel it in the creations and the evolution when we studied the whole .I like gardening ,it's a big passion for me .It's so beautiful our nature ,our diversities around us .

I say me "Don't crush any insects because all has a rule of complementarity when the hand and eyes of man catalyze "

It's an universal feeling in fact in the whole point of vue,it's so evident but indeed we can't define it correcthy ,perhaps only with our heart and our mind like a part ,a fractal of the ultim .

The harmony thus is like the sister of the consciousness .

It's fascinating all that .We aren't hazard fortunally .

A mystery but evident in fact .

Thanks both of you ,I am happy to see this kind of thoughts and spirituality .

Best Regards .

Steve

Bookmark and Share

Author/ Narendra Nath wrote on Sep. 30, 2009 @ 02:38 GMT
A new post is being added by way a manuscript ' Relevance of Consciousness in Sciences' composed by the author in the recent past. Hopefully, it ges attached as a document with the essay.

attachments: 1331391_Relevance_of_Consciousness_in_Sciences.pdf

Bookmark and Share

Narendra Nath wrote on Sep. 30, 2009 @ 07:54 GMT
Steve, thanks for your comments that provide encouragement to me at my stage of life too! May be you may have a look at the mss attached to this post now, as Attachment 1331391 on ' Relevance of Consciousness in Sciences '. Your attention will be welcome to it.

Bookmark and Share

Tejinder Singh wrote on Sep. 30, 2009 @ 12:23 GMT
Dear Narendra,

I find your essay thought provoking, as you dwell on what has been achieved on the theoretical and technological front, and what remains to be understood. I do not have expertise on experimental developments, but I believe a new theoretical framework is needed to understand quantum mechanics and its connection with gravity better. Would you have suggestions as to what such a framework, and its mathematical counterpart, could be? Thanks.

Tejinder

Bookmark and Share

Narendra Nath wrote on Oct. 1, 2009 @ 00:21 GMT
Tejinder,

i suggest some frame work about the mystery of gravity. To me, this first force/field to emerge with the birth of the universe must be unique in nature. It is my hunch that it was extremely repulsive close to Big bang, in order to inflate the point to the initial size of the universe. Then, it got converted into two components, one for the visible matter, as we know and experience it now and the other maintaines the repulsive nature that we now experience by way of dark energy, attributing the repulsion of visible matter by the dark matter. We know some parameters involved through the data available for early universe, through anistropy of microwave energy background radiation. This may help us get the field strengths of these gravity components. i for further believe that the strengths are not remaining constant, specially close to the birth of the universe when it had extreme temperatures and matter density. The present state of the universe , for this purpose, may be taken as a steady state in comparison. The numbers and mathematics is the game you need to play on such conceptual hunch i happen to ptovide. Further , i also believe the physical constants like e, m, c and even h has changed their magnitudes, specially in the early universe, say upto 1 billion years not more. The former three had higher values while the planck's constant h had a lower value than accepted today.

i will much like your response to the suggestions made openly by me here on this forum, as well as of other theoreticians in this game, myself being a 100% experimentalist of ordinary stature.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Oct. 1, 2009 @ 10:36 GMT
Hi Dear Narendra Nath ,dear Tejinder Singh,

Thanks for the attachements ,it's so spiritual ,I liked a lot .I see a big research of the truth ,a big meditation of compassion and of universality .

The symphony of the light and its creations in your researchs .

It's a pleasure to see these universal conscious .

Could you tell me more about the Upanishads please ?

Best Regards

Steve

Bookmark and Share

Narendra Nath/Author wrote on Oct. 2, 2009 @ 07:05 GMT
Dear Steve,

it is a pleasure to see that you were able to sense universality in the scripts. It just goes to prove that the Human spirit is just one and the same the world over and it lies in universal love and truth. That is God too.

Regardng the Upanishads these are ancient indian scriptures whose copies may be available in any university library under the title 'Indic Studies'. There are other ancient scriptires called the Vedas, Puranas, besides the Upanishad. These were composed nearly 5000 years back. There is a kind of summary of that knowledge in the Indian text known as " GITA/ Bhagwadgita " which is a part of the stories of Mahabharata.The Indian embassy library in your country may also contain copies of these ancient scriptures of India. The german philosopher, Max Mueller has translated the original scripts into Deutsch and then these translations have been rendered in English language too by many other authors.

Bookmark and Share

Tejinder Singh wrote on Oct. 3, 2009 @ 14:01 GMT
Dear Narendra,

Thank you for your remarks. You may well be right in your intuitions.

Thanks also to Steve, for the encouragement.

The questions you raise above are difficult and profound. I would consider mysef a conservative physicist and hope that one day we will have a mathematically well-developed model of the Universe, based on physics that is tested in the laboratory. Only then can we hope to understand issues such as the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and whether fundamental `constants' evolve in time.

Tejinder

Bookmark and Share

NN wrote on Oct. 3, 2009 @ 14:31 GMT
all the best for your excellent efforts.

Bookmark and Share

Florin Moldoveanu wrote on Oct. 3, 2009 @ 14:53 GMT
Dear Narendra,

I actually agree with you that math is not the starting point in physics. I am only comparing math with reality for 2 reasons. First, Weinberg spoke of the unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics in the natural sciences. I wanted to know why (and if something could be derived from it). Second, in math (especially after Bourbaki) the meaning of mathematical structures is only relational. Why is existence possible then? What are its building blocks? If reality is not relational as well, then one has to appeal to transcendental and God arguments.

In short, I am not after a TOE, but after finding out why certain mathematical structures are distinguished and occur in the real world, and not others. Why for example is the number of space dimensions 3 and not a huge number like say 10^23? Why is quantum mechanics described by complex numbers, and not p-adic numbers, or sedinions?

It turns out that to be able to answer those types of questions the starting point is still experiments and not math. It is reality that ultimately selects the relevant distinguished mathematical structures.

Bookmark and Share

Juan Enrique Ramos Beraud wrote on Oct. 4, 2009 @ 03:54 GMT
Narendra Nath:

I, as Steve has mentioned some where above, think your essay is quite pragmatical and also very clear.

I agree physics should be closer to life-sciences, but also think should be closer to social sciences.

We should learn to deal better with fuzzy and indetermined outcomes.

On consiousness and science, my essay --which you have read-- says that the ultimate result is contemplation. To be aware of the universe, ourselves and aware of our awareness.

Back to your essay, it is great.

Best...

Bookmark and Share

Narendra Nath wrote on Oct. 4, 2009 @ 07:38 GMT
i am truly overwhelmed with the nice fraternity of comments made by Juan, Steve, Florin above. i also greatly admire that there are like minded persons who have the genuine feeling of fraternity amongst us. The more such spiritual strength rises the better it will be for the sciences and the humanity. i have personally reached a rather ripe age of 77 and am happy to find younger friends in our fratenity. That is a sign of good continuity in common interest campaigns across the world.

The global warming has shown up in several tragedies around the globe. For the past 2/3 days such a tragedy is occuring by way of widespread floods in southern states of India. Earlier it has happened in USA, Europe and China, covering sort of entire world. Tsunami's too are there and the weather in September/October this year is more like July/August in many parts of the northern globe. Politiciancs the world over work on short term objectives but they are the rulers and desire to decide the long term issues involving human calamity, ignoring the well-meaning scientists. we need to join meaningfully for the sake of younger generations that are to follow! Physics can survive well if the world becomes a better place to live our lives, spent with feelings of universal love and compassion.

Bookmark and Share

NarendraNath wrote on Oct. 4, 2009 @ 09:26 GMT
Florin,

Your post of 3rd has satisfied me with your motivation to use appropriate Maths to do relevant Physics. That is the right spirit for maths. in Physics.Physics should not be in Maths! That is the spirit of my comment. All success to you in your efforts.

Steve,

All success to organise Intnl. Humanity & Science centre. i think you are located in LA, Calif. i am too far away to be a part of it but my spirit is in tune with you. All success. My worry about the start of all good institutions lies not in their objectives but in the reflection of the personalities that govern them. Somehow we have to learn to de-personalize such institutions . Only hten their long-term continuity can be ensured. Otherwise these are likely to suffer from personality clashes.

Juan,

i am with you that we need to do something in sciences about fuzziness/indeterminacy. But the way is not easy , as Quantum mechanics has been widely accepted. What is required is an entirely novel approach that is not biased by the entire science knowedge that we have gathered thus far! May be a solution lies in the approach suggested by Tejinder Singh in his essay where he has given significance to an intermediate area of mesamorphic nature that is inbetween classical and quantum physics domain. Once one gets there both theoretically and experimentally, the unification of physics will come through the bridging of classical and quantum aspects.

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Oct. 6, 2009 @ 01:22 GMT
Dear Narenda,

I have replied to your comment on my essay and would like to address similar questions in your essay.

You remark that "Struggle seems to lie between individual consciousness vis-a-vis cosmic consciousness." The consciousness field approach does not distinguish between the two, but all "individual" consciousnesses are local maxima that are enhanced by local motion as described in my essay--- motion of vesicles, etc in the cell, blood in the arteries, and ions in the axons of the brain and the vesicle flow across synapses..

You also state "It may well be that some kind of gravitational-like interaction field that still needs to be identified." This too is the C-field with its inflationary property as I have described.

You discuss the strong force of the nucleus. In 1929 Rutherford proposed a magnetic-like force but the experimental tools were insufficient. Only 5 years later Yukawa proposed an 'electric-like' force and the (misinterpretation of) the muon was sufficient to lock this in for 70 years. But in 2008 Frank Wilczek admitted that the Yukawa model fails at hardcore distances. The (magnetic-like) C-field flux tube performs the physics required of the strong force (sans color- never seen and never to be seen). The weak field is discussed in my reply to you.

Your remarks about quantum gravity and unification of forces are also discussed, but I would point out here that the quantum flow condition I derive is based on the gravity-field.

Finally, you mention in your essay that "Individual biological cell is capable of acting independently as well as in a live body." I say almost exactly the same in my essay and explain that the consciousness field provides a reasonable explanation of this--see the above remark about motion in cells, arteries, and neural axons. In my essay it is shown that the 'mass-current' sources the C-field analogous to the way that 'charge-current' sources the magnetic B-field.

I enjoyed reading your essay the second time and invite you to read my essay again after you digest my response.

I also concur with you and others that this community of individuals is a joy to participate in.

Bookmark and Share

Narendra Nath wrote on Oct. 6, 2009 @ 05:30 GMT
Dear Edwin,

your response is most welcome. It has enriched me further about the faith in the concept of ' consciousness '. Every word in the dictionary is open to wide interpretations and these also change with time, like any other in this universe where change rules the roost. Whatever i may have said may not be as per my understandings, as misunderstandings arise by what one means and what the other person conceives about it. I have my own pedigree ( lineage ) and you have yours. We are not self-made as we think we are!

Cosmic consciousness is the entirety of consciousness ( GOD ) while individual consciousness is its 'differentiated' form with each individual. All these are having their distict features like other bodily features of the individual. Thus, we have diffent levels / degrees of consciousness visavis the cosmic consciousness.

i will reread your essay text. May be we leave ourselves to grow in our own natural pattern, as that is natural ti us. Following or getting dictated by any other person will not be right unless oneself feels convinced.Let us enjoy the community of FQXI forum, a wonderful way of connecting the world through Internet, so may it prosper constantly / acceleratedly for the good of human society, not merely the scientific community. isolation of anykind leads to degeneration/decay.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Oct. 6, 2009 @ 16:46 GMT
Hi dear Narendra Nath ,

Thanks it's nice ,I had answered but some ones of my posts disappear .

I live in Belgium ,I am belgian .

You are welcome when this center will be created .The place isn't important ,just the team and the desire to help simply .

Regards

Steve

Bookmark and Share

Narendra nath wrote on Oct. 7, 2009 @ 13:01 GMT
it seems my second post of the day has disappeared from the site. Soemtimes it is difficult to recollect what has come spontaneously on reading the text of the essay or the postings made preceedingly.

Edwin, i think i have some suggestion about making C vector that you say arises out of rotational nature of mass under gravity, on more solid ground. The human mind is involved in all conceptual ideas and therein lies the human consciousness too. Now, i treat brain as a processing and memory centre only while the rest of the body cells , billions in number, are all sensors as well as activators to send signals and receive signals from out side. All such interactions, as per the ideas of Dr. Eccles, Nobel Leureate Professor at Oxford ( UK) in Neurology, do get recorded in a non-physical sheath surrounding the SMA area of the brain. He conjuctures further that this sheath does not die with the body abd thus such record remain accessible permanently to other individuals' consciousness. Thus, one can understand that total knowledge store is already available in the universe and we just need to tap it knowingly or even unknowingly.

As Einstein admitted frankly enough that the famous ideas for his 1905 discoveries did not originate in his brain but appeared suddenly to him. However, he had the knack to retain the ideas and also had the tools ready with him to implement the same. Such a scenario gives tremendous boost to the assocaition of consciousness with science one does. In my essay and a additional post through a mss attachment ' Relevance of Consciousness in Sciences' i have described my own personal experiences.

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Oct. 7, 2009 @ 17:57 GMT
Dear Narendra

You state: "Now, i treat brain as a processing and memory centre only while the rest of the body cells , billions in number, are all sensors as well as activators to send signals and receive signals from out side"

I agree that the brain is processing and memory. This is the meaning of defining

intelligence = consciousness plus...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

NN wrote on Oct. 8, 2009 @ 03:47 GMT
Dear Edwin,

yuor long post is appreciated. However as i read it i tend to forget what you have written before. It is my limitation. Can you elaborate on how you got the figure of 20 nano-volt for the C-field at the molecular level? Does it remain uniformly so? Does it vary with time bothways? May be you have smething unique in your treatment. However, it may help you to interact with the molecular biologists as well as neurologist friendly to you, to help you proceed further. For me i notice some links broken in you treatment which starts conceptually but soon takes a pure mathematical approach without continuous linkages with the conceptual picture. may be i am vague but that is my inner feelings. These may well be based on misunderstandings of your text at places.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Oct. 8, 2009 @ 18:29 GMT
Dear Narendra Nath,

I d like give you my mail ,dufournybionature@gmail.com,if you want of course we could discuss about the creation of the center ,you know ,the only thing important for me is this center ,if the base is created ,the synergies shall go very quickly .Our fellow men wait ,Darfour ,Sieera Leone ,Madagascar ,RDC ,Bengladesh ,and many others lost in this sad and non balanced system .The solutions exist ,it's a reality ,they exist .

In all case ,the united is the key ,with the universality and the adapted and harmonious sciences .We must product and implant some basic systems .It's possible .The responsability of scientists is so so so important .

Dear Mr Klingman ,you are welcome of course ,we are in the same optic about the universal conscious ,our conscious says us ,lat's act .Simply with our heart .

Best Regards

Steve

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Oct. 8, 2009 @ 19:35 GMT
Narendra,

You ask: "Can you elaborate on how you got the figure of 20 nano-volt for the C-field at the molecular level? Does it remain uniformly so? Does it vary with time bothways?"

The computation is based on the equation that describes the C-field circulation in terms of mass current (since the change in gravity over a biological cell is nil). One of the terms is proportional to the local mass density which I assume to be the density of water. The computation is carried out in "Gene Man's World". Because the local C-field varies with local mass currents it should not remain uniform, but I'm not sure that meaningful calculations are possible. My primary interest in the calculation was to confirm that C-field energies are not such as to have any noticeable effect on chemistry, since this would argue against the C-field, but also that the energy is non-zero, since this would argue that the consciousness field had no effect at all. I believe that the approximate result, 20 nano-eV, satisfies both of these criteria.

You further state: "For me i notice some links broken in you treatment which starts conceptually but soon takes a pure mathematical approach without continuous linkages with the conceptual picture. may be i am vague but that is my inner feelings. These may well be based on misunderstandings of your text at places."

You are correct that I begin with conceptual arguments and segue into mathematical results, as I believe both are necessary to a successful theory. The ten page limitation on the essay forces a compromise where both concept and calculation suffer equally. The books listed in my essay develop both concept and calculations in extreme detail.

Thanks for your feedback, and thanks to Steve for his comments on both of our essays.

Edwin Klingman

Bookmark and Share

Author/Narendra nath wrote on Oct. 10, 2009 @ 06:59 GMT
Just realised that i completely missed the early comments from Uncle Al.i feel your comments were full of 'humanity' and relaterd matters. I agree with what you say broadly. Personality emphasis has been the fashion in our community. It does degrade science sometimes or may be more at some other times. This and related problems are tied the egos of the individuals and their close associates/friends. We are unable to delink our personal desires from the persuit of science as a pure search for best truth. However, this aspect can not be eliminated but does require limited significance. Such is really the job for professional societies of scientists and these organisations operate. i had some bad experiences of an association founded in India by a good medical scientist who is no more. It is called ' Society forn Scientific Values. It was mainly concerned with the ethical issues like pliagerisation, duplication/copying, dishonesty in associating names of persons on scientific publications where their contribution was worth no more than an acknowledgement, etc. etc. The office bearers responsible for upholding ethical values start practicing unehtical/ dictatorial attitudes. Human failings then lead to degradation of science. Such things do happen all over the world. Uncle Al may hopefully come on the scene and decoare his respectable identity, i shall welcome personally!

Bookmark and Share

Author wrote on Oct. 10, 2009 @ 07:39 GMT
Dear edwin,

i am truly amased by your mathematical conceptaulisation of consciousness. Why you treat as ameer rotation of mass distribution to distinguish it from Grabity that represents the mass distributed property directly? i like it but i need what led you to propose such a conceptual aspect and then proceed further along. You also expect to propose some experimental checks. Kindly do come out with a couple of these too.Although i have no lab available to me anymore, i shall do my best to associate and seek others help in seeing that such experiments are actually implemented in practice.

Daer Steve,

Please do go ahead with the Association you plan to organis ealong with your well meaning friends. i promise i shall do whatever i possible can sitting far away here in India. my location is at Kurukshetra, a district town in the state of haryana. New Delhi, the capital city is just 160 km away and fast trains cover the distance in 2 hours!

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Oct. 10, 2009 @ 08:02 GMT
I am honored dear Narendra Nath ,I am verry happy .

I must organize correctly all that .

I am a bad administrator but I will arrive .

My friends are everywhere ,some in Africa ,some in Europe ,....and they are supers ,real universalists .

Like I said ,the place isn't important ,several linked spheres can be implanted with a geostrategy for the distribution.But the base must be very strong ,the good governance thus always .In Africa the problem is the corruption ,thus the institutions are bizares .It' better to have a base ,sure and strong .

For the balance between humanitary and economy ,we must produce of course ,I am multiplicator of plants too and ecologist ,thus the bio products can be made like essential oils ,flowers,vegetables ,milk,honney .....and many others inventions .All is linked with our soils in fact .

Take care dear Mr Narendra Nath .

Steve

Bookmark and Share

NN wrote on Oct. 10, 2009 @ 14:31 GMT
Many thanks, steve. i am all for universalness in our humanity on this earth. political division between countires and talk of different cultures have divided humanity in parts, to be ruled by ' divide and rule ' policy the biggest foreign power The Great britain , followed to rule many countries in Asia and Africa. Today Britain does not follow that policy bit its derivatives do exist through what economically powerful countries are doing towards the less fortunate and poor ones. Compassion has been the central theme of all the relifions of the world that exist. But this very quality is missing in action.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Oct. 12, 2009 @ 09:10 GMT
Hello Dear Narendra Nath ,

You are welcome .The compassion and the love and adapted universal sciences can really change this world .

Indeed our story has divided the pure essence of our Earth .And if we had given instead of exchaning......We add bad habits .....A majority wants the peace and the prosperity .Only a minority sacks the ecosystem .

If I must resume the bad on Erath it's by these words ....vanity ,power ,weapons and giuns ,monney and boundaries ..... We can harmonize in implanting a prosperity and a stabilized system ,harmonious and universalness .There the united ,and unified systems are essential to accelerate the process of resolution of prioritaries problems .Health ,agriculture ,education ,energy ,water ...mainly .My friend who is an super person ,Dr Naima Benali ,works hard too on the transqure project .Africa Unite too ,and others systems ......several spheres can be optimised and can be put into practice .We shall arrive ,we shall overcome .....we must act and the mots quickly will be the best in fact ,because each seconds which pass is a child who cries or dead.We can't sleep quietly if only one child still cries ....

Freindly

Steve

Bookmark and Share

NN wrote on Oct. 12, 2009 @ 14:16 GMT
Dear Steve deFourny,

what if we two agree. A huge silent majority is remaining mum towards their own cause. The level of awareness across the whole world need to be high and assertive before we can bring solace to humanity as a whole. If some continue to assert what is good for us all, tyranny will never end and love and compassion will remain mere rekligious words never to put into action!

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Oct. 18, 2009 @ 12:45 GMT
Dear Narendra and all Indians ,

Some friends on Ecademy have wished me a Happy Deepavali,

I wish you and to all indians a very happy Deepavali

Peace,love,compassion,universality .

Steve

Bookmark and Share

Tejinder Singh wrote on Oct. 19, 2009 @ 13:16 GMT
Dear Narendra,

You may want to see thislink :

http://fqxi.org/community/articles/display/103

Tejinder

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Oct. 21, 2009 @ 03:53 GMT
Dear Narendra,

Thank you very much for your kind encouragement and your mention of my theory to others in this forum. As is to be expected, most participants are selling their own ideas, and should not be expected to sell others, so it is very gracious of you to behave as you have.

In your last comment to me above, you ask how I came to propose such a theory.

My long time...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Narendra wrote on Oct. 21, 2009 @ 15:40 GMT
Steve, Many appreciations for the Divali Greetings. It signifies the significance of removing the darkness of mind with the brightness of divine like consciousness. Love, truth and compassion represent the enlightend mind that enables the body to live always in the present moments all the time.

Tejinder,

i was away to the Himalayan foothills and will look up the site mentioned. I also thank you for an active and fruitful participation with other authors in this healthy essay contest. What matters more than winning any prizes or awards lies in sincere participation, with the good of all at heart!

Edwin,

i appreciate your novel attempt in your essay and will certainly look at the other authors you mentioned. I have been away with family to the mountains in our north. Hopefully, i may participate in the competition in the coming days a bit more and also put in my opinion about ranking other authors in my subjective judgement. In fact, judgements are very hard to make objectively, as rational mind is governed by the emotional side too. The human spirit lies in a balance of both these aspects.

Bookmark and Share

Author, NN wrote on Oct. 23, 2009 @ 07:01 GMT
May i bring to the notice of persons visiting this essay that i have made postings on other essaya, specially a recent one on the essay by Cristian S. Calude and Karl S. that pertains to the points already covered in this essay. There is no forum for an individual author to summarize one's contentions made on other essays and put the same at a central place for the view of other authors in this healthy contest. The theme being common, it would be nice if all authors individually are able to provide their common views on the other essays that they studied in detail and have specifidc opinions about them.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Oct. 23, 2009 @ 18:37 GMT
Thanks dear Narendra Nath for the explaination .

It's a beautiful .

The dark side is human and we evolve where the dark don't exist ,only the light .

The light and harmony is universal ....it's a beautiful perception of the harmonious evolution .

Our past is very hard ,our history to all is sad ,and we add simple bad habits .

The bad is a human invention ,like a mirror of the good .

Thus it will disappear in time .Because the optimisation is fundamental towards the ultim love and universality .The chaos is short and returns always to a balance ,thus of course some actual parameters must be considered in a shot time to evitate the chaotic exponentials due to a lack of pragmatism in a global point of vue .

All our globality must be restudied for the health of all this Earth and its interactions .Gaia cries in fact and not a little even its babies .The fundamental sciences can harmonise ,it's evident ,our ecology even is sufficient if some methods are put into practice .There is a real fundamental problem on Erath ,the lack of universalism .It's essential at this moment to act pragmatically .Let's imagine if some systems in numbers focus on locality with the good tools to improve the quality of life .Simply with an implantation of good systems and good productions .If the bases are implanted ,the rest will continue towards a prosperity respecting the environment .It's impossible for the human more than 6 billions to live correctly without discrimination if the soil isn't re considered with the ecology and the energy .It's really impossible even our towns must be re thought .We can't live without plants and animals ,it's purely impossible and dangerous .The man is a catalyzer of his ecosystem and the soil is sufficient for all .more than 1 billions of people don't eat correctly ,it's inadmissible simply .The health ,the education ,the food ,the electricity ,the social security ,it's inadmissible .If our story has made several errors ,it's not a reason to continue this road ,without any sense and faith in a global point of vue .It's an incredible reality ,so sad ,we cultivate the sufferings on Earth like a cultivator of the economy .That hasn't sense .

Sometimes I say me ,what is the faith if we don't act in fact .The faith takes all its sense with the acts and the compassion like two sisters of the hope .If all is linked ,how can we quiet in our minds without a balance between creations .

Yes a sad sphere ,beautiful but sad ,so sad this sphere turning around this other light sphere ,our sun .but we evolve fortunally .

Sincerely

Steve

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Oct. 24, 2009 @ 17:59 GMT
What I find incredible is this potential .We can increase the mass and the interactions correctly.I test since several years a simple add of systems.

optimization Soil... plant multiplication ...composting ....and the hand of the man .That increases the mass and interactions ,furthermore in respecting some parameters ,the productions are exponentials ,simply.The complexity always returns to the simplicity .It's basic and rationally primoridial for a balanced earth .Some ratios in ecology are fundamenatsl ,all can be in harmony if some parameters are respected in fact .Our actual system of production is evidently and strongly bad balanced in a whole and rational point of vue .

The ecology is essential to live in harmony .The nature can give us all if we respect some laws of interactions between mass.We lost our link with the soil and it's a very very important problem .The first step is to improve all soils .Simply with a universal technic .The composting and the add of powders or additive like bentonit ,vermiculite,N P K ....in fact the aim is to optimize the interactions in the soil correlated with plants and the familly conditions .The macro and micro fauna shall do the rest and if the human catalyze correctly ,this cycle is exponential in its production .That permits to restabilize poor soils ,in others localities.Each country must be considered the soil like the first priority .It's essential .

After we plants and cultivate correctly .This kind of universal system always shall be in the equilibrium after x time .

All people needs to eat and drink .How can we live correctly if the production becoming from the soil isn't balanced ,even for our health ,all is correlated with the soil .

This technic isn't expensive ,it's the contrary in fact .....

Regards

Steve

Bookmark and Share

nn wrote on Oct. 25, 2009 @ 03:11 GMT
Steve,

i am deeply impressed with the depth of your comments. Hope we all put our words into action in our lives. Science is a noble profession and we need to keep it away from individual's selfishness in order to raise its level. Universal good only can result in true happiness for us all as love is our very basic nature.

Tejeinder,

i am happy indeed to see that your excellently innovative essay is getting overwhelming success in this forum. Because of guests at home, i am stlll unable to visit the site you recommended. i will soon do so and let you know how i feel, thanks.

Bookmark and Share

Author, NN wrote on Oct. 25, 2009 @ 11:42 GMT
tejinder,

i haave visited the site you mentioned and have posted by comments thereon for you or anyone else to view. The proposed experiment if successfully implemented, will be significant for the mesomorphic region you envisaged to bridge the extremes of current classical & quantum pictures.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Oct. 25, 2009 @ 16:21 GMT
Dear Narendra ,

Thanks it's nice,but don't be impressed,we are all uniques and precious ,equals and linked ,unified and united ,it's our rule like human ,simply,...all is complemenatry ,equal and universal ,anybody is better than its fellow man ,it's the real compassion ,to understand the sufferings and decrease them .

you know ,me too ,I was desesperated to find scientists ,universalits and with a total compassion .Fortunally FQXi and Xing permitted me to find some people with this heart and competences since some years .That motivates ,we need that.

In fact we must think about the human ,know in human .It's the society which corrupts ,not the universe .All is there .The human is fundamentally good .

The bad is like a picture of a mirror of the good ,if you break it ,only the good rests .....virtual and short like the chaos ,thus it will disappear .

You know dear Narendra ,never I will stop ,I give my life for that ,humbly ,my eyes to the soil and my mind in the stars .

To all problem ,there is a solution ,for a big problem ,the united permits to increase the speed and efficacity of the process of resolution.

To rest divided ,it's prevent to solve really .It's only simple as that ,united and adapted sciences on ground .Now ,when I will arrive ,when we shall arrive ,...hope the soonest possible...............alone ,we are nothing in fact .The reason and the uniersal love can make many things .

The individualism is became a normality ,it's impossible to continue like that .We aren't on Earth for that .

In all case ,thanks to be you dear Narendra ,it's a pleasure to share some points of vue .

Best Regards

Steve

Bookmark and Share

Author NARENDRA NATH wrote on Oct. 26, 2009 @ 05:58 GMT
Dear Co- authors on this wonderful forum,

The competition formally comes to an end on Nov. 06 and i find the that the discussions have been very fruitful on many essay sites. However, many authors could not find enough time to respond o/c lack of time due to their other pre-occupations. It does affect the standard of fruitful discussion. There have been several good essays on the forum that i find highly innovative in their approach. The one by Tejinder has touched on the significance of the mesomorphic region inbetween classical and quantum. I too hinted on it conceptually in my own essay as i find enough evidence of possible variations in the magnitudes of the so-called physical constants like c, e/m, h etc. from the days of the Big Bang till now. Some isolated expeimental evidence too exists indicating the value of c to be higher from cosmic objects observable about 12 billion years away. If one may approach still older galaxies as have been recently seen through Chandra telescopes by NASA scientists and gather enough signal strength to measure the value of c, they may well observe still higher value than measured thus far. This aspect will then throw fresh ideas into Physics to understand better the mysteries about the dark matter/energy.There is a possibility that the value of Planck's constant h may well be lower in the early universe which can be checked from spectral emissions from old stars/galaxies In fact it is well nigh possible that the strength of the four force fields as these emerged sequentially to satisfy the evolution logic of the universe, were also higher initially and have decreased since then to the currently agreed values. The secrets all lie in the early first billion years of the universe. If such cosmological measurements are attempted from an outer space probes, the accuracy and precision of such data may help solve the current mysteries. It seems that some innovative concepts like inbetween classical and quantum pictures, may emerge that may help provide a kind of smoothness in Physics that is not available currently. Nature is simple and divergent physical theories need reconciliation harmoniously.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Oct. 27, 2009 @ 18:43 GMT
Yes we can hihihihi

take care

Steve

Bookmark and Share

NN wrote on Oct. 28, 2009 @ 05:56 GMT
Dear Steve,

i try to keep a constant smile and perhaps that is what you mean by hihihihi. Let us all rejoice at this year FQXI compettition; Let us hope it helps our fraternity by eliminating hatred, animosity and other evils so that true science proceeds ahead unhindered towards its noble goals of improving the lot of the entire humanity without discrimination or selection criteria of any kind.

Bookmark and Share

NN wrote on Oct. 28, 2009 @ 06:52 GMT
For the nanostructured material preparation enthusiasts, i have posted a comment recently on the essay site of Don Limuti ' From Gravity Upwards '. It may well interest people who are keen to do experimentation in the mesomorphic region, in between classical and quantum Physics, as suggested in the essay of Tejinder, in order to generate a massive sample to correspond to Planck's mass!

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Oct. 28, 2009 @ 10:47 GMT
Hello ,

It was some words correlated with the words Of Mr Obama.hhihi

Yes indeed let's be universal and in the love .

You know I have had a very hard life and always I was too nice .I lost all due to my prettyness .But I rest like that ,it's the most important ,never be in the hatred ,it's the secret of the real love even with people who don't like you ,let's love all .

But one thing very very important is this one ,we have on Earth our past and some people are bad because they don't understand this universal love .We must be prudent .The actual human nature due to a sad globality is bizare .A difficult past for all the jumanity in fact .

Let's smile to all but let's be prudent in the same time .

Let's love all but let's be prudent with our prettyness .

Let's act for our fellow man but let's not forget the actual global system .

Let's unite with prudence ,reason and love .

Somethings are logics for some people like never chrush an insect but unfortunally many people crushes them .But we evolve fortunally .

Take care

Steve

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Oct. 28, 2009 @ 10:54 GMT
The life is so simple on the road of love .

For example ,I have had some discussions with some people ,but when I will create this center ,they are welcome ,why because I like them in fact simply and never I am in the hatred .

Some people under a tolerance or some beautiful words of respect ,perhaps aren't in this universalitty .But we must continue to know in the man .The man born good ,it's the society ,our bad habits which corrupts this prettyness .

We must pass this information in fact .With prudence .

Steve

Bookmark and Share

NN wrote on Oct. 28, 2009 @ 13:42 GMT
Prudence is a must through deep introspection and discriminatory judgement one needs to make in all issues whether personal or professiohal. That is what we do through both intellect and wisdom, but universal love must form the underlying substrate, as human nature is basically loving. Animal nature is more self-preseving and self-surviving, with violence coming in quickly as one feels threatened.

Let us have some physics discussions on the theme here, as the contest closes on Nov.,06 formally.

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Oct. 28, 2009 @ 21:19 GMT
Greetings Narendra,

I did read your essay two days ago, but I've been away from the computer. I'm using the local library's machine now, while at a conference. I thought it was interesting and enjoyable reading, but I feel you could have gone further in stretching the boundaries of Physics, or projecting how we might extend them.

Your re-cap of the realities of Cosmology was enlightening. I don't usually think about Gravity being the first force to appear, but I guess but has to be that way. I tend to classify the cosmological epochs by what force becomes dominant, each in turn, and that makes gravity the last force to take hold, as it's only when the strong, weak, and EM forces are not dominating the process of formation that gravity's influence can exert it's most profound effect.

I also would imagine that the weak force begins to dominate as soon as nucleosynthesis proceeds somewhat, but it is agreed that we see heavy elements appear only after decoupling (or recombination - a term I feel is misleading) has taken place, which is when EM forces come on strong. I will have to re-read and comment further. I'll have plenty of time to read, but little access time until the weekend.

I did feel like you spoke a bit more about how advances in technology came out of the growth of Physics, rather than about advances in Physics itself, but I agree that the two are tied together, and that it's only by having some of these advanced technologies that we can hope to make further advances in Physics. Overall; I found your essay enjoyable, and thought provoking - but a little too brief. Your comments in the forum reflect a much deeper understanding of some topics than I sensed from the essay itself, and I want to give you the chance to say more (when I can).

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

N Nath wrote on Oct. 29, 2009 @ 05:35 GMT
Dear Jonathan,

i appreciate your painstaking and valuable comments. What happens to me is that i have a mss ready and then FQXI website essay competition gets annonced and so i submit what i have ready. The same happened to me last year when i submitted the essay ' Mysteries of the Universe- some perspectives '. It is also available on the FQXI last year website.

If i may so say again, i am a well retired professor and am not using the infrastructure of any lab. or University for the past few years. I access internet and do lot of contemplation and meditation. This helps me keep my mind somewhat unbiased of available knowledge. The rest comes to me automatically from the storehouse of total knowledge, the universe itself. i consider myself a part of it and not a separate entity/body. If now i cam even detach myself and become an outsider to the universe, it may help me further to become more objective and less subjective.

Regading the specifics, just look up the evolution picture of the universe, as reflected in the measurements done on anisotropy of microwave radiaition from the cosmos. It clearly reflects the emergence of the four force fields as per the logic of evolution. Strength of the force fields we have measured only now after 14 billion years. As you may note i clearly stated that these strenghts have changed over the long period. The same gets corroborated through rare but significant measurements made in cosmology for the velocity of light, e/m ratio, etc. for galaxies around 12 billion years away. These constants are not constants over the entire life of the universe. The mysteries of dark matter/energy, black holes , we face difficulty in understanding them, as the Physics of early universe was not the same as now. It is hard to take but then such has to be a fact in the life of the universe.

Regarding heavy elements restriction, it has come about both due to strong and weak interactions and has nothing to do with either gravity or elctromagnetic interaction fields. You know about the assymetry arising out of pairing part of the strong force. Please recollect that even the strong force becomes repulsive at close distances of nucleon size. Similar effects even the gravitiationalfield may exhibit but we have yet to make experimental measurements of such cosmological nature specially in the first billion years of the universe life, easy said than done!

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Oct. 29, 2009 @ 17:04 GMT
I think your search for a better method is righ Narendra, and that you deserved a higher rating, so I've just added one.

Math is an excellent tool for description testing and some exploration, but no more. Tools cannot design or discover alone.

A Doppler formulae can't physically make EM waves red shift but maintain 'c' when our planet moves away from the source, only a quantum process could do that. If you're interested in how please check out the link hidden in recent posts to my own essay 'Perfect Symmetry' (a nice rating would also be nice if you feel it's worth it - it needs it more than yours!).

I'm certain you won't regret reading the article, but please do let me know.

Very Best Wishes

peter Jackson

Bookmark and Share

Vijay Chand wrote on Nov. 2, 2009 @ 18:24 GMT
Very interesting article. At least we know what we don't know. It may not be possible to "see" events before the Big Bang or all the components of the universe. It will give future generations something to strive for.

Bookmark and Share

Ajay wrote on Nov. 3, 2009 @ 00:00 GMT
Interesting, very thought provoking article.

Bookmark and Share

NN wrote on Nov. 3, 2009 @ 00:31 GMT
it s nice to hear some appreciation from readers.They need not take me seriously as i am well past the age for active Physics. Mine are a few suggestions based on my past experience. If these can be of any help for the active scientists of the day, i will be most happy

Bookmark and Share

Ray B Munroe wrote on Nov. 4, 2009 @ 14:02 GMT
Dear Narendra Nath,

I knew I had read your paper once before. On Oct. 2nd, I posted the following review on my blog site:

"I read your short essay. Some points could have been explained better (such as baryonic vs. non-baryonic and the strong nuclear force/ color confinement). I don't think that quantum mechanics "evolved" out of classical physics - QM really represents a paradigm...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Narendra wrote on Nov. 4, 2009 @ 16:30 GMT
Dear Ray,

i am sorry that i seem to have left your postings unattended. My oversight and my limitations. I have had close family guests, trip away from home plus my age to contend with. It has been about 10 years since i opted out on my own of an active research career in experimental nuclear physics and use of nuclear techniques in material science. i am therefore out of present reckoning of active physicist. My essay is rightly short of many details,as you rightly indicate. I have had no education in Cosmology, except through Internet sites occasionally.

Regarding paradigm shifts in Physics, i will like to indicate that Tejinder proposal for mesomorphic region in between classical and Quantum mechanics that qualifies correctly. Some failures of cklassical concepts did result in Quantum ideas and then the development of the formal theory took place. Einstein contributed just to the conceptual ideas while others developed the formal quantum Theory. In my understanding Einstein always believed that one day QM will get replaced by an alternate better theory, as he was not much for entire physics to be just probablistic in nature.

Regarding the growth of Physics, most of the important developments took place by the end of World War II. Olny few remarkable developments may be considered to have happened latter like Parity Non-conservation in weak processes and better picture of quark/gluon base for nucleon structure. The rest of the developments are still involved in controversies. However, cosmological experiments improved in accuracy and precision but further improvements are required still, as in other branches.It is difficult to predict human behavior as our mind work in a complex manner, more as a result of technology and material uplift in human lives, if i may say so. Old time physicists never worried about status, rank in society and money while doing good physics. Today, the picture has become more award winning, status consciousness and money ofcourse. nevertheless, i appreciate your frank comments and i enjoy the same. I am in this competition, primarily to encourage brightb youngsters and putin my little effort that FQXI organization is doing an omen service to encourage persons with any ideas away from the conventional, to find an encouraging forum to air their opinions. If i may say so , peer review has put a brake to innovation, as innovators need to fight harder in order to get recognition against vested interests. The political game the world over has started to affect science,as the control appears to lie in biggger establishments financed by Governments in different countries.

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Nov. 4, 2009 @ 23:15 GMT
Dear Narendra,

I have posted an extended comment on my page in response to your last remarks there. I very much appreciate your opinions and hope that I manage to clarify a few things.

Edwin Eugene Klingman

Bookmark and Share

NN wrote on Nov. 5, 2009 @ 04:02 GMT
Edwin,

i will look it up. i wish your innovations could have received much more appreciation. But your self satisfaction of having done a sicere ,honest job should carry you forward in times to come,my all good wishes,

N. Nath

Bookmark and Share

Narendra Nath wrote on Dec. 19, 2009 @ 12:28 GMT
Takers or no takers, Physics is permanent and so is knowledge. Life goes on and one sees individuals change their opinions. Thus the contents of Physics will change from time to time, but we may not be there to see it all. That is the way life continues, knowledge continues and the end is never in sight. The search for truth is a legacy humans will continue to seek. Let us all wish one another well in such persuits!

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.