Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

songjoong df: on 12/27/17 at 6:55am UTC, wrote cara menjadi reseller qnc jelly gamat Cara Menjadi Agen Qnc Jelly Gamat ...

Steve Esser: on 3/25/09 at 17:25pm UTC, wrote Dr. Aguirre: I'm an investor and I think your analogy is basically sound. ...

Anthony Aguirre: on 3/18/09 at 16:45pm UTC, wrote A few comments: First, Zeeya, thanks for these very nice blog entries that...

Zeeya Merali: on 3/7/09 at 5:13am UTC, wrote Much of Friday was spent discussing the direction in which FQXi should move...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

amy jones: "Google Pay provides its customers with a wide range of Google Pay Customer..." in Cosmic Dawn, Parallel...

Georgina Woodward: "Re. ant behaviour: More ants are attracted by the chemical trails left by..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Georgina Woodward: "To wipe away dead ants or not was an oversimplification. It depends on..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Georgina Woodward: "Newton's space and time permit grandfather type paradox and time reversal...." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in First Things First: The...

Robert McEachern: "The Tegmark Paradox: "Tegmark asks whether physicists posses skills that..." in Building an AI physicist:...

Georgina Woodward: "The filled space is not space-time as that's the space 'inhabited' by..." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Eckard Blumschein: "Notions like bottom and top belong to particular models. Ellis is certainly..." in Downward causation:...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi BLOGS
August 22, 2019

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Universe of Possibilities: A Paradigm Shift in Funding Physics? * [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Mar. 7, 2009 @ 05:13 GMT
Much of Friday was spent discussing the direction in which FQXi should move in the future. FQXi directors Max Tegmark and Anthony Aguirre described some of the successes of FQXi and set up brainstorming sessions between physicists and philanthropists to try and think of new ways to fund foundational research.

On the success front, Aguirre highlighted the Nature of Time essay contest, which...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

FQXi Administrator Anthony Aguirre wrote on Mar. 18, 2009 @ 16:45 GMT
A few comments:

First, Zeeya, thanks for these very nice blog entries that give some flavor of the proceedings at the meeting. And thanks Andrei for many of the beautiful pictures!

Second, true to my word (I can't believe there was every any doubt...) we really did announce the essay contest winners; see the page here: http://fqxi.org/community/essay/winners.

Third, a comment on what FQXi funds. As Max suggested, FQXi instructs the panels to consider the *product* of the (chance of success)x(impact if successful). In fact, FQXi goes further and divides this by (cost of project). Thus we want to maximize the (in phyisics lingo) 'expectation value of impact per dollar'.

I would say that this is not, in general, how other science funding agencies do things in reality, though of course some of the same considerations come in to any grantmaking agency. While I concur with Fred that a 'business model' has corrupted some/much of the academic research and funding model, at the same time a 'investment model' is not really used in funding.

That is, investors have a portfolio with high-risk high-return as well as low-risk, low-return investments. Whether by intention or not, large funding agencies often tend to allocate rather strongly in low-risk. (In fact I've read somewhere that academics in their actual investments tend to be strongly risk-averse on the whole.) We see FQXI's mission, in part, to represent a high-risk, high-return portion of the research funding portfolio. That is, we're experimenting with being venture capitalists in big questions. It would be great to get some input from actual investors (or venture capitalists) to see how we could do it better!

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

Steve Esser wrote on Mar. 25, 2009 @ 17:25 GMT
Dr. Aguirre: I'm an investor and I think your analogy is basically sound. I don't have any direct experience with the world of science funding, but from everything I have heard it makes sense that fqxi can help fulfill the higher risk/higher reward role.

Best regards, - Steve Esser

Bookmark and Share

songjoong sdfsd df wrote on Dec. 27, 2017 @ 06:55 GMT
cara menjadi reseller qnc jelly gamat

Cara Menjadi Agen Qnc Jelly Gamat

manfaat qnc jelly gamat

Obat Tradisional Kista Nabothian Tanpa Operasi

cara menjadi agen qnc jelly gamat

cara menjadi reseller qnc jelly gamat

cara mengobati gondongan pada anak

cara mengobati kanker nasofaring secara alami

obat pembersih sisa janin setelah keguguran

cara mengobati kanker pankreas secara tradisional

obat tradisional benjolan di leher sebelah kanan

obat tradisional tipes untuk orang dewasa

obat tradisional untuk menghentikan haid berkepanjangan

Obat Tradisional Pembekuan Darah Di Otak

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.