Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

indobet 7: on 8/12/18 at 10:03am UTC, wrote Nice article with useful information regarding great use! The ways you have...

Ethan Scott: on 5/9/18 at 6:21am UTC, wrote [QUOTE]If you are looking Charm Bracelets a European tourist...

Anna Shetty: on 3/8/18 at 9:24am UTC, wrote 123movies - watch your favorite movies, Watch full movies online in here,...

lu xueqi: on 1/26/18 at 19:12pm UTC, wrote Thanks for the information This article is very good for my knowledge...

galeri gps: on 10/21/17 at 8:43am UTC, wrote Thanks for the information This article is very good for my knowledge...

wilton.alano@gmail.com: on 5/28/11 at 13:25pm UTC, wrote Both matter and energy are real, but just matter "exists". Energy just...

minixar: on 3/1/11 at 8:45am UTC, wrote If you are looking Charm Bracelets a European tourist destination, consider...

Jim George Snowdon: on 1/23/11 at 3:34am UTC, wrote Hi vGare, Duration elapsing, is an accurate description of...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "I agree that new rules can apply to higher levels of organization or..." in Constructing a Theory of...

Lorraine Ford: "Re the issue of whether new information can be added to the universe: 1...." in Constructing a Theory of...

ariana pham: "Nice to read the information here. The content of this post is very useful..." in Ed Witten on the Nature...

Kane Williamson: "Time of social event is all in all something Egyptian Colloquial Arabic..." in Podcast Up: Interacting...

Kinal Kaur: "I just want to thanks to making such a wonderful website concept. Article..." in Quantum Replicants:...

Jennet Will: "Repkickz the best seller of the Replica. Buy off-white replica with us and..." in Fuzzballs v Black Holes

Andrew Jackson: "Brother is a renowned brand and it never frustrates its clients. The..." in Manipulating the Quantum...

Andrew Jackson: "There may be several reasons for getting ghost print, some of which is due..." in Manipulating the Quantum...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Constructing a Theory of Life
An all-encompassing framework of physics could help to explain the evolution of consciousness, intelligence, and free will.

Usurping Quantum Theory
The search is on for a fundamental framework that allows for even stranger links between particles than quantum theory—which could lead us to a theory of everything.

Fuzzballs v Black Holes
A radical theory replaces the cosmic crunchers with fuzzy quantum spheres, potentially solving the black-hole information paradox and explaining away the Big Bang and the origin of time.

Whose Physics Is It Anyway? Q&A with Chanda Prescod-Weinstein
Why physics and astronomy communities must take diversity issues seriously in order to do good science.

Why Time Might Not Be an Illusion
Einstein’s relativity pushes physicists towards a picture of the universe as a block, in which the past, present, and future all exist on the same footing; but maybe that shift in thinking has gone too far.

FQXi FORUM
August 14, 2018

CATEGORY: The Nature of Time Essay Contest (2008) [back]
TOPIC: Things Happen by Jim George Snowdon [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Jim George Snowdon wrote on Dec. 4, 2008 @ 09:02 GMT
Essay Abstract

Time does not exist. Time, the past, and future, are illusions that prevent us from seeing reality as it is. We need to understand the nature of the illusion, and perceive reality without the illusion.

Author Bio

The author became interested in the nature of time in Astronomy 101, back in 1,974.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

amrit wrote on Dec. 17, 2008 @ 15:25 GMT
YES Jim, yes, you are right. Time is a mind model only.

yours amrit

attachments: 1_Physics_Without_Time_as_a_Fundamental_Physical_Reality__sorli_2008.pdf, 1_6._Consciousness_As_A_Research_Tool_Into_Space_And_Time.pdf

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan wrote on Dec. 31, 2008 @ 15:17 GMT
This essay is a rambling incoherent assertion, without argument, that time does not exist and that it is better to think of the world without time.

Bookmark and Share

thomas wrote on Jan. 1, 2009 @ 19:08 GMT
I think jims idea of time being an illusion is not that far off.

Bookmark and Share

amrit wrote on Jan. 1, 2009 @ 19:50 GMT
Jim right understanding of time goes step ba step, i see that in 7 steps

yours amrit

1. Time is what we measure with clocks: with clocks we measure duration and numerical order of motion of massive objects and elementary particles in space.

There is no evidence that motion happen in time; we can only observe motion in space. With clocks we measure duration and numerical order...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Jim George Snowdon wrote on Jan. 1, 2009 @ 22:22 GMT
Thank You Amrit!

Johnathon, I would agree with you that my essay is a strong "assertion" that time doesn`t exist. It`s not a new idea that time doesn`t exist, many people believe time is an illusion. I`m not trying to provide a proof in my essay. A kind of proof is available in the fact that we are engaged in an essay contest about the nature of time, in two thousand and nine. This strongly suggests that no one has ever found a shred of evidence that time exists.

I`m not sure I can agree with you about the essay rambling. After all, it`s only one long page, explaining a rather big question in Physics.

As for finding it incoherent. It`s a difficult subject.

I came across this essay contest only in November. I tried to take some advantage of my shortage of time, and wrote the essay in a summarized fashion that trys to tell the story in a clear distilled manner, devoid of unnecessary confusions.

Johnathon, if I might quote from your post, "and that it is better to think of the world without time." I hope I asserted myself more vigorously than that, on this important point! I stated a couple of times that we need to perceive reality for what it is. I asserted that we are blinding ourselves to reality, and so missing out on understanding obvious things, such as time travel. I made reference to removing the time variable from equations where it ought not to be!

I don`t think it`s better to think of the world without time, I think it`s imperative, that we begin to think of the world without time.

It would have been easier to understand the structure of the solar system, after people understood that the world wasn`t flat, rather than before, eh?

The same is true with time! It`s easier to understand Physics, and the world in general, once you know yourself, that time doesn`t exist!

Bookmark and Share

Narendra Nath wrote on Jan. 2, 2009 @ 13:17 GMT
Dear Jim & Amrit,

As you agree with Carlo to forget Time completely, how about the life being lived by humans without the Money, paper or coins. It was just Barter trade or fighting to snatch things by force. Might is right.

Sometimes i feel timelessness helps make your experiences eternal. But still wewho are born , are destined to die. Thus time is merely a parameter that helps us organize our living during our life. In order to enjoy totally, it is wise to forget time. therwise you are likely to curtail your enjoyment. In some posts here i found some of mentioning ' i must hurry i am late for....' we are always trying to be on the move, and there is no time to stand & stare!

As the essay posting time is over, but postings are still going on, i thought of puting this up on a lighter vein!

Bookmark and Share

Ken Sandhu wrote on Jan. 7, 2009 @ 18:58 GMT
I find your explanation of "time" very interesting and at the same time true. You have tried to explain a complex physics riddle in a layman's jargon and by giving a philosophical touch to it. I have gone through some of other essays as well, but my comments are - they are either too technical or pure non-understandable explanation.

You have done a good job !

Bookmark and Share

Narendra Nath wrote on Jan. 8, 2009 @ 13:14 GMT
Dear Ken,

Thanks for the appreciation. If i can lighten the 'burden' of life we all carry in our own ways, what more one may desire out of this short span of life in the context of teh age of the Universe!

Bookmark and Share

Narendra wrote on Jan. 8, 2009 @ 13:16 GMT
Dear Jim Snowden,

Your post on my essay has been responded there, may be that you see it at leisure.

Bookmark and Share

Jack King wrote on Jan. 14, 2009 @ 21:10 GMT
Consider for a moment a universe consisting of one indivisible particle; then ask ourself some questions: How big is it? One cannot say how big it is because there is nothing to judge it by. Which way is it going? One cannot say because there are no compass points and nothing upon which to hang a 3D coordinate system. Is it possible that it's moving? No, because anyplace it could move to could not be shown to be any different than where it supposedly was before it supposedly moved. Time is an abstract concept for measuring the motion of one thing in terms of another. If the other does not exist, and the particle cannot be shown to be moving, then time cannot have meaning. The earth revolves on its axis 364 1/4 times while it orbits the sun once. Hence the basis for days and years, and we can calibrate pendulums or quartz crystals or cesium atoms to vibrate in some direct relationship to days or years and divide those days and years up into hours or seconds or multiply them to denote decades or millenia or whatever. Time, while not possessing any substance that one can put in a bottle or hold in a hand is nevertheless a useful abstraction. It does not exist in the material sense, but then neither does space, beauty, justice, freedom, nor any other metaphysical concept.

Bookmark and Share

anthony wrote on Jun. 11, 2010 @ 01:18 GMT
i truly strugle to concieve time as nothing more than a measurement. time is not a force nor a phyiscal law.

Bookmark and Share

Jim George Snowdon replied on Aug. 27, 2010 @ 11:44 GMT
Hi Anthony,

The struggle to which you refer, is a barrier to every individual.

My own struggle began 35 years ago, when the professor asked us to write a definition of time. He then revoked the assignment, saying we would all give him different answers.

I recall standing motionless, while the large first year class listened to the assignment, and then it`s cancellation. The nature of time had never crossed my mind before, I had assumed it was clearly understood!

It became a passion for me, and over the following three decades, I didn`t see any serious questioning of the nature of time in the main stream media.

In this past decade, three major magazines have dedicated issues to the subject. Now, FQXi has seriously and openly challenged the question of the nature of time. I think they are going to succeed in communicating the answer to all.

Even so, each individual will still have the struggle of disassembling their own barrier.

Bookmark and Share

Jim George Snowdon wrote on Jun. 13, 2010 @ 05:13 GMT
Hi Anthony,

Time is a measurement system that actually measures duration elapsing. It`s measurement baseline is the duration that elapses while the planet rotates.

I recently wrote a post in the second essay contest, which I think, also pertains to the subject of your post. If you wish to read it, the post is entry dated May 10th, 2,010. The essay, to which thread the post is attached, is entitled, "Awakening of the Observer in Physics", by Amrit Srecko Sorli, entry dated July 17th, 2,009.

Bookmark and Share

tanxianjue wrote on Jul. 13, 2010 @ 03:58 GMT
organic life create the concept "time" to measure the complicated Universe.

time is static, universe is dynamic-by itself, universe does not need time to push it to be dynamic.

Let's go back to the "time" when organic life has not evolved out on earth ,let us assume that there exist a "god",this god know,and is cnotroling everything in the universe-maybe this god is universe itself, the concept of "time" does not exist in this god's view, everything in the universe is just "existing and changing" at "right now",there is no yesterday nor tomorrow, there is just existing ,changing and evolution, life evolves from few intelligence single cell organic life into intelligent lives ,such as fish,bird,dog, monkey, ape, gorilla, and till human being. The concept of "time" is created and existed for all organic lives in the whole universe,of course including earth ,and this rule also applicable for any other lives in the universe, if there exist lives on some other planets.

life,even intelligent life, such as human being, is not so capable to understand the whole universe--at least till now, we human being is still not understanding much rule in the universe.the concept of time is just created by lives to apply in their complicated enviroment.

in god's view ,there does not exist the concept of tens of millions of "years" ago dinosaur time, nor nowaday human being time,there just exist the concept of right now.

in my view :time is static-that is to say time does no exist,universe is dynamic-by universe itself.the whole universe does not need time to push it to be dynamic,time is just a measure tool for "stupid" organic lives(because these lives are not as capable as "god")to describe the complicated relationship among things

in the whole universe, so,time does not really exist

Bookmark and Share

tan xianjue wrote on Jul. 14, 2010 @ 03:32 GMT
How can the universe be dynamic just by itself,without time to push it.

first, time is a created concept, through enviromental experience by self-conscious organic life:such as fish, dog, monkey,human, I think even virus or single cell life has some kind of "time" in their sense to understand the

universe. time is just an artificial standard created and used in a piece of limited universe enviroment for its creater's convenience, just as "meter","kilogram"......

second, the universe is so big ,huge, complicated, so that it is really hard to understand. created life in the universe, such as animal on earth, their brain, intelligence, may not be capable to understand,hold, and control

the whole rules in the universe, these lives have to use some artificial standard to measure their limited enviroment for their living ,one of the most important standard is time for we human beings. I think for a child, it would not know the concept of time unless adult tell the child , there just exist many mysterious things in the world for a child.the world, the universe, is always existing , and changing. We can assume that the basic rule of the universe is changing, changing and changing;moving ,moving and movingexisting ,existing and existing.if this assume is right(we can not demonstrate this rule to be right or wrong at least under nowaday science and

technology), then the universe does not need time to push it to be dynamic,time is just an artificial standard under this assume.

Bookmark and Share

Jim George Snowdon replied on Nov. 28, 2010 @ 00:28 GMT
Hi Tan,

I agree with what you`ve said. We have motion in our timeless universe.

To quote from your post, "time is a created concept, through environmental experience by self-conscious organic life", I would add, that the environmental experience is greatly affected by our planet`s rotational motion.

If a planet`s rotational period was the same as it`s revolutional period, similiar to the relationship between the Earth and Moon, it might be that the conscious inhabitants of that planet, would believe they were experiencing duration elapsing, as opposed to time passing.

If it was always 2 p.m. in one`s town, it would be easier to appreciate that it`s actually a case of duration elapsing.

Bookmark and Share

vGare replied on Jan. 6, 2011 @ 10:19 GMT
What's the difference between duration and time?

Are you not perhaps putting but another label on the same unknown.

Bookmark and Share

Jim George Snowdon wrote on Jan. 23, 2011 @ 03:34 GMT
Hi vGare,

Duration elapsing, is an accurate description of reality. Time passing, is a description of the illusion people normally hold of reality.

Bookmark and Share

minixar wrote on Mar. 1, 2011 @ 08:45 GMT
If you are looking Charm Bracelets a European tourist destination, consider Cheap Links of London Friuli-Venezia Giuli region of northeastern Friendship Bracelet, bordering on Austria and Links Bracelets. For simplicity's sake we Links Friendship Bracelet the region's full name to links london. Depending on your Links of London, Friuli may be an ideal vacation Links of London Bracelets. You can get classic Links of London Charms food and other specialties, and wash it links of london outlet with fine local wine. While Friuli is not 2011 Links of London undiscovered by tourists you Charm Bracelets won't be fighting crowds to see what friendship bracelet want. Like most regions of Italy, it has friendship bracelets to many nations over the Links 2011 New Arrivals. Unlike most regions of Italy it Links Accessories multicultural, an exceptional mixture of Italian, Austrian, and Slavic influences. This article explores Trieste, Friuli's capital. A companion Links Bracelets examines several other Links Charm Bracelets in this beautiful region.Trieste, Links Charms about two hundred thousand, is the Links Earrings city of the Friuli region.One can Barefoot Sports Shoes imagine that with such a Cheap Five Fingers history Trieste would be a Five Fingers place to visit. It is.As soon Five Fingers 2011 New Style Shoes you get to Trieste you'll Five Fingers Bikila Shoes its ubiquitous coffee Five Fingers Classic Shoes. Some of them have been Five Fingers Flow Shoes business for hundreds of Five Fingers Kso Shoes. Among the best is the Five Fingers Kso Trek Shoes Caffe San Marco, as old Five Fingers Moc Shoes as you can get.

Bookmark and Share

Ethan Scott replied on May. 9, 2018 @ 06:21 GMT
[QUOTE]If you are looking Charm Bracelets a European tourist destination, consider Cheap Links of London Friuli-Venezia Giuli region of northeastern Friendship Bracelet, bordering on Austria and Links Bracelets. For simplicity's sake we Links Friendship Bracelet the region's full name to links london. Depending on your Links of London, Friuli may be an ideal vacation Links of London Bracelets. You can get classic Links of London Charms food and other specialties, and wash it links of london outlet with fine local wine. While Friuli is not 2011 Links of London undiscovered by tourists you Charm Bracelets won't be fighting crowds to see what friendship bracelet want. Like most regions of Italy, it has friendship bracelets to many nations over the Links 2011 New Arrivals. Unlike most regions of Italy it Links Accessories multicultural, an exceptional mixture of Italian, Austrian, and Slavic influences. This article explores Trieste, Friuli's capital. A companion Links Bracelets examines several other Links Charm Bracelets in this beautiful region.Trieste, Links Charms about two hundred thousand, is the Links earrings city of the Friuli region.One can Barefoot Sports Shoes imagine that with such a Cheap Five Fingers history Trieste would be a Five Fingers place to visit. It is.As soon Five Fingers 2011 New Style Shoes you get to Trieste you'll Five Fingers Bikila Shoes its ubiquitous coffee Five Fingers Classic Shoes. Some of them have been Five Fingers Flow Shoes business for hundreds of Five Fingers Kso Shoes. Among the best is the Five Fingers Kso Trek Shoes Caffe San Marco, as old Five Fingers Moc Shoes as you can get. [/QUOTE]

Interesting. Well written. I want to know how did you improve your writing skills. I want to get into essay writing but my English is not exactly accurate in terms of grammar to be honest.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

wilton.alano@gmail.com wrote on May. 28, 2011 @ 13:25 GMT
Both matter and energy are real, but just matter "exists". Energy just "happens", what is quite different.

As long as we know, the cosmos is filled with matter in motion.

"Time" just means that there happens motion. Exactly, it means that every particle or corpses occupies "now" a different spatial position than "before" or "after", related to a reference point (so, Einstein's relativeness is quite right).

I use to think that "time" is just the other face of the energy coin, because without energy, no time occours. It is like a 'side effect' of motion/energy.

Cheers,

Bookmark and Share

galeri gps wrote on Oct. 21, 2017 @ 08:43 GMT
Thanks for the information

This article is very good for my knowledge going forward

★ Produk Obat Kuat

★ Obat Kuat Viagra

★ Obat Kuat Levitra

★ Obat Kuat Cialis

★ Obat Kuat Nangen

★ Obat Kuat Maxman

★ Procomil Spray

★ candy b complex

★ Produk...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

lu xueqi wrote on Jan. 26, 2018 @ 19:12 GMT
Thanks for the information

This article is very good for my knowledge going forward

link alternatif sbobet

cara menang di poker online

judi online terpercaya

agen poker online terbaik

agen taruhan piala dunia 2018

agen poker online indonesia

prediksi togel jitu

Bookmark and Share

Anna Shetty Shetty wrote on Mar. 8, 2018 @ 09:24 GMT
123movies - watch your favorite movies, Watch full movies online in here, watch thousands of movies and TV-series anywhere with your favorite westerns, adventure, and comedy. Especially interesting with English subtitles

Bookmark and Share

indobet 7 wrote on Aug. 12, 2018 @ 10:03 GMT
Nice article with useful information regarding great use! The ways you have illustrated the information is impressive. This post is mind blowing .Thanks for sharing good post here .Hope in future will get some more information from you.

Poker Online Terpercaya

Agen Poker Free terbaik

Situs Poker Android

Poker Uang Asli

Agen Poker Online

Poker Online Indonesia

Poker Indonesia

Situs Bola Online

Situs Judi Bola Online

Agen Judi Casino Online

Bandar Bola Online

Agen Judi Online

Bandar Togel

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.