Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Steve Dufourny: on 6/14/22 at 12:51pm UTC, wrote This reasoning can be applied for the hard problem of consciousness and can...

Steve Dufourny: on 6/12/22 at 14:17pm UTC, wrote of course it is about too the vector spherical harmonics , the spinor...

Steve Dufourny: on 6/12/22 at 14:03pm UTC, wrote The main intrest now is to find how acts this scalar main field for our...

Steve Dufourny: on 6/11/22 at 11:54am UTC, wrote Philosophically speaking this main general field of the DE is fascinating ,...

Steve Dufourny: on 6/11/22 at 11:08am UTC, wrote This Scalar field of the DE Steve A is a key for all at my humble opinion,...

Steve Dufourny: on 6/10/22 at 20:01pm UTC, wrote Now I have thought too about the deformations of these spherical volumes...

Steve Dufourny: on 6/10/22 at 19:55pm UTC, wrote Imagine that this vacuum of the DE so is made of 3D spheres and that each...

Steve Dufourny: on 6/10/22 at 17:03pm UTC, wrote That said Steve A, we have different models and we see differently this...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "1. The 'magic rabbit' does not come into being, upon the photo being seen...." in Quantum Physics and the...

Deserdi Chapas: "Report on ongoing Holographic Physics work at deserdi.xyz As humanity has..." in Alternative Models of...

Georgina Woodward: "Given that a particle is a part of what is existing, it has Absolute..." in Quantum Physics and the...

umair zaheer: "Travel is the movement of people between distant geographical locations...." in Anatomy of spacetime and...

robin 435: "rsvsfascxseaczcfadv" in Anatomy of spacetime and...

David Vognar: "Electron Doping? by David Vognar I think it helps to visualize physics so..." in The Present State of...

Nick Fury: "Hi, when you get older there is not a single part of your body that is..." in Quantum Measurement and...

Lady Zecharia: "Can physics address - at least in principle - the truly deep questions of..." in The Present State of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Entropic Price of Building the Perfect Clock: Q&A with Natalia Ares
Experiments investigating the thermodynamics of clocks can teach us about the origin of time's arrow.

Schrödinger’s A.I. Could Test the Foundations of Reality
Physicists lay out blueprints for running a 'Wigner's Friend' experiment using an artificial intelligence, built on a quantum computer, as an 'observer.'

Expanding the Mind (Literally): Q&A with Karim Jerbi and Jordan O'Byrne
Using a brain-computer interface to create a consciousness 'add-on' to help test Integrated Information Theory.

Quanthoven's Fifth
A quantum computer composes chart-topping music, programmed by physicists striving to understand consciousness.

The Math of Consciousness: Q&A with Kobi Kremnitzer
A meditating mathematician is developing a theory of conscious experience to help understand the boundary between the quantum and classical world.

FQXi BLOGS
December 6, 2022

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: FQXi: Exploring the Edge of Reality by Tegmark, Aguirre, Musser, Maudlin, D'Souza, Markopoulou, Lassig, McDermott, Rickles, Wllace, Davies, Albrecht [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Josh Hoffman wrote on May. 30, 2022 @ 12:03 GMT
FQXi is a science think tank bringing together some of the world's leading minds to explore the foundations of physics, cosmology, quantum reality, consciousness, and artificial intelligence. As a funding agency, the Foundational Questions Institute supports new frontiers and innovative ideas integral to a deep understanding of reality, but unlikely to be supported by conventional sources.

Subscribe to @FQXi to watch talks from our international conferences. Visit fqxi.org/community to learn more about our research and contests, through videos, articles, audio and more.

Keywords: #FQXi #FoundationalQuestionsInstitute #Time #NatureofTime #JTF #Tegmark #Aguirre #Musser #Maudlin #D'Souza #Markopoulou #Lassig #McDermott #Rickles #Wallace #Davies #Albrecht #Copenhagen

Bookmark and Share

This forum thread is open to the public.

Steve Dufourny wrote on Jun. 6, 2022 @ 10:58 GMT
This is important to unite the thinkers and focus to explain the deepest unknowns, so congrats to your team. It could be well that said to help me for this project here on FQXi global collaboration to improve the planet ,Instead to try to explain this hard problem of consciousness wich is a very complex problem and I try myself to find roads of explaination, it could be well too to utilise this consciousness for a better world. We can do with FQXi if we forget all our vanity and this naormality . If the theinkers want to be leaders of this project , I accept , I don t want to be the leader of this project, I just really want to change this planet with sciences and consciousness with adapted global solutions. Regards

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Roger Granet wrote on Jun. 6, 2022 @ 22:02 GMT
I think the best way to make progress toward understanding the nature of reality and the physical universe is by trying to answer the question that underlies it all "Why is there something that nothing?" as well as the subsequent question "What is the nature of the most fundamental something?". This is metaphysics. Then, because:

1. Metaphysics is the study of existence and the nature of...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

Steve Agnew replied on Jun. 7, 2022 @ 15:41 GMT
Much has been made about the concept of nothing and many books have been written all about nothing. Of course, once you define nothing as something, it no longer is nothing.

In other words, there is no meaning to the concept of nothing because we use our reasoning to imagine nothing... as something. We live in a discrete and finite universe of things and so are limited to measuring things in this universe, which is Science, and discovering other truths beyond Science. Although the truths of Science are very useful, there are many other truths that we have found useful for improving our lives.

The nihilism and relative morality that come out of the concept of nothing can have very undesirable outcomes...

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny replied on Jun. 7, 2022 @ 15:51 GMT
Hi to both of you, I agree with you Steve A, happy to see you again on FQXi,

well said The nihilism and relative morality that come out of the concept of nothing can have very undesirable outcomes..

It is indeed very important to understand this concept about the moralities furthermore , that implies so correlated consciousness when we are aware of several universal truths in sciences and philosophy

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny replied on Jun. 7, 2022 @ 15:57 GMT
But where are our georgina and john , hope they are well ,

Bookmark and Share

Robert H McEachern wrote on Jun. 8, 2022 @ 11:33 GMT
Extensive discussions of the question "Why is there something rather than nothing?" can be found on Closer to Truth.

Here is my take on this subject:

There can be no reason (cause) for "nothing" to exist; because a reason is a "something", which would thereby preclude any possibility of there being "nothing." So the reason "something" exists, is precisely because there is no possible reason for "nothing" to exist.

Indeed, "Cause and Effect" itself exists, entirely as a result of the nature of "information", as conceived of by Shannon.

In essence, Shannon realized, that all the concerns about "what is necessary" are themselves unnecessary, whenever something else (namely "information") turns out to be a sufficient cause, even though it is not necessary; "one does not need to fret over an inability to correctly recover some supposed information, that one knows was never there to begin with."

Rob McEachern

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

PRASAD RAMESH DIVATE wrote on Jun. 9, 2022 @ 14:05 GMT
hi all,

i have written manuscript on philosophy of relativity called "beyond einstein",please give me feedback regarding above!

thanks,

prasad divate

attachments: Beyond_Einstein_philosophy_regarding_relativity_revisited.docx

Bookmark and Share
Steve Dufourny replied on Jun. 9, 2022 @ 14:39 GMT
Hi Prasad , I cannot see it ,it tells this, This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.