Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

John Cox: on 2/27/22 at 20:38pm UTC, wrote Given the attention Covid 19 has drawn to viruses, this topic might be...

Steve Dufourny: on 2/18/22 at 14:19pm UTC, wrote Hello Mr Granet, I agree totally about the fact that we must always prove...

Roger Granet: on 2/17/22 at 18:16pm UTC, wrote Hi, Steve. My view is that no matter what our metaphysical ideas are,...

Steve Dufourny: on 2/17/22 at 16:02pm UTC, wrote For the turing machine ,universal, it is complex , we must I believe make a...

Steve Dufourny: on 2/17/22 at 15:53pm UTC, wrote Hi Mr Granet, The metaphysics are ideas that the majority of thinkers...

Roger Granet: on 2/16/22 at 22:26pm UTC, wrote As a retired biochemist who's also interested in physics and metaphysics,...

Steve Dufourny: on 2/16/22 at 17:39pm UTC, wrote Hi to both of you, It is always interesting to have the different points...

Georgina Woodward: on 2/16/22 at 5:39am UTC, wrote There has been a long standing suspicion that consciousness may have some...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "This platform is about theoretical physics, it is irritating to have these..." in 16th Marcel Grossmann...

Steve Dufourny: "post under review , irritating" in 16th Marcel Grossmann...

Steve Dufourny: "I recommand this you tube of Professor Ellis about mind, intelligence,..." in George Ellis - How can...

Steve Dufourny: "irritating these posts, they shall disappear simply because under review..." in George Ellis - How can...

Steve Dufourny: "I have thought about this theory of wave pilot and the wave particle..." in The Noise of Gravitons

Steve Dufourny: "That becomes interesting now to consider so these series finite of 3D..." in The Noise of Gravitons

Steve Dufourny: "I have a dream , like you know I have conviced FQXi to create the forum..." in Global Collaboration

Steve Dufourny: "Let s try please dear members of FQXi, let s forget our vanity, lets forget..." in Global Collaboration

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Math of Consciousness: Q&A with Kobi Kremnitzer
A meditating mathematician is developing a theory of conscious experience to help understand the boundary between the quantum and classical world.

Can We Feel What It’s Like to Be Quantum?
Underground experiments in the heart of the Italian mountains are testing the links between consciousness and collapse theories of quantum physics.

The Thermodynamic Limits of Intelligence: Q&A with David Wolpert
Calculating the energy needed to acquire and compute information could help explain the (in)efficiency of human brains and guide the search for extra-terrestrial intelligence.

Gambling Against the Second Law
Using precision thermometry to make mini heat engines, that might, momentarily, bust through the thermodynamic limit.

Mind and Machine: What Does It Mean to Be Sentient?
Using neural networks to test definitions of 'autonomy.'

FQXi BLOGS
June 29, 2022

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Lenore Blum – A Theoretical Computer Science Perspective on Consciousness by Lenore Blum [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Josh Hoffman wrote on Feb. 14, 2022 @ 23:57 GMT
The Conscious Turing Machine (CTM) is a machine model of consciousness inspired by Alan Turing’s simple yet powerful model of a computer and Bernhard Baars’ Global Workspace model of consciousness. In this brief presentation, we explore how the CTM might experience phenomena generally associated with consciousness and, while we do not claim this is how humans experience these phenomena, we suggest it provides some high- level understanding of how such experiences might be generated. We start with three examples related to vision: blindsight, inattentional blindness, and change blindness. Then we consider illusions, dreams and free will. This is joint work of Lenore, Manuel and Avrim Blum. See accompanying video by Manuel Blum.

Keywords: #Consciousness #Mathematical_Models_Of_Consciousness #Blum #Theoretical_Computer_Science #Global_Workspace_Theory #Turing_Machine #Complexity_Theory

Bookmark and Share

This forum thread is open to the public.

Roger Granet wrote on Feb. 15, 2022 @ 23:07 GMT
I'm not sure what all these consciousness things have to do with physics, but this model of the Blum's is getting closer to how humans think, IMHO.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate
Georgina Woodward replied on Feb. 16, 2022 @ 05:39 GMT
There has been a long standing suspicion that consciousness may have some role in quantum physics. "Consciousness causes collapse (of the wavefunction)" theories.

Personally I think conscious perception of vision is awareness of an observer generated space-time (emergent) representation of the external environment. Relevant to physics as we need to differentiate what exists from what is perceived. Relevant to the understanding of time and relativity and quantum physics.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny replied on Feb. 16, 2022 @ 17:39 GMT
Hi to both of you,

It is always interesting to have the different points of vue of thinkers about this consciousness. But we must recognise unfortunally our limitations in knowledges , mainly about the philosophical origin of the universe and about what are our foundamental objects. In fact we can of course analyse our brains and its mechanisms with the neurons, synaps, microtubules ,....but we have limitations about this emergent consciousness, it is different than this intelligence . The philosophy can be relevant too to analyse but like I said we have these limitations, nobody can affirm to know the truth. Best regards

Bookmark and Share

Roger Granet replied on Feb. 16, 2022 @ 22:26 GMT
As a retired biochemist who's also interested in physics and metaphysics, I'm very skeptical that quantum physics plays any major role in brain functioning/consciousness, but I'll remain open to evidence. Of course, it's near the base in terms of how matter works in general, but at different sizes and levels of complexity (very small and uncomplicated to medium and large sizes and complexities), different laws may take on more significance. At the level of brain function, I think these different laws (those of biochemistry and biology) will be more significant. It's the emergence stuff.

Also, I sometimes think physicists think they should be able to pontificate in other areas, but they don't like it when people in other areas pontificate in physics.

In terms of fundamental objects, I've made my views known about what I think is the fundamental object in various FQXi essay contests to no avail. So, as my retirement hobby, I'm using a metaphysics-to-physics approach where you:

1. Start with metaphysical ideas on what the fundamental unit of existence is, 2. Use those ideas to build a simple model of the early universe (because the universe exists and is, I think, made of fundamental units)

3. See if that model matches observations

4. See if it can make testable predictions that can be experimentally verified

to try and provide evidence for my ideas. No one listens to logical ideas. They only listen to evidence, and especially evidence they can see. Obviously, this is a long-term goal! :-)

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Bookmark and Share

John R. Cox wrote on Feb. 27, 2022 @ 20:38 GMT
Given the attention Covid 19 has drawn to viruses, this topic might be rather timely. Because we know enough to correlate through gene sequences to gain of function; the stripped down form of any virus gives us a laboratory view of the process of messanger RNA. Yet the causal link has yet to be found as to what physically happens that might be said to transfer information coded in a quadary complex of only four simple amino acids, each of which are made up of only four elements; carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and either oxygen or sulfer (two highly reactive elements). mRNA seems to hijack the cell to amp up production of amino acids to replicate many copies of itself, and having no cell stucture of its own it needs a living cell to produce the four simple molecules that it (the virus) is constructed from.

So a concept of how a Turing machine might gain the function of translational experience in real time from simple sequencing of inanimate elements is certainly worth due consideration. How DOES RNA and DNA as a sequencing of physical elements "instruct" cellular differentiation, growth and reproduction?

best jrc

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.