Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Anonymous: on 9/15/18 at 14:48pm UTC, wrote This is only on the web that you can find a voyance au feminin website...

Nikki Heysen: on 9/4/18 at 8:53am UTC, wrote The academic experts at StudentsAssignmentHelp.com offers top-quality...

digene larjem: on 8/3/18 at 6:05am UTC, wrote NJMCDirect is an online portal which allows you to pay the ticket fines...

digene larjem: on 8/3/18 at 6:02am UTC, wrote NJMCDirect is an online portal which allows you to pay the ticket fines...

sheeraz khatri: on 4/20/18 at 11:13am UTC, wrote Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it....

lionel john: on 4/9/18 at 10:14am UTC, wrote free std and hiv testing A lot of valuable details related to the physics...

maria smith: on 3/31/18 at 5:56am UTC, wrote This is very nicely written post. Mobdro apk 2018

Erica Sena: on 3/5/18 at 20:18pm UTC, wrote top essay writing services

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Dear Potential Realists, Yesterday’s Closer to Truth Facebook page..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Andrea White: "Canon is a leading optical product and imaging product company.They have..." in Sounding the Drums to...

Avneesh panwar: "If you are delete our bing search history to visit this platform delete..." in The Quantum Thermodynamic...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Loyal Reality Followers, The September 14, 2018 Closer to Truth..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Contact Laptop Number UK: "Dial @ 0800-014-8456 toll free in UK for instant HP Laptop Contact Number..." in Usurping Quantum Theory

Contact Printer UK: "Find an instant technical support for HP, Epson, and Canon Printers in UK...." in Constructing a Theory of...

Steve Agnew: "Singh has a really good approach for resolving the measurement issues by..." in Space-time from Collapse...

josef smith: "I would like to thank for the efforts you have Hostgator Promo Codes made..." in Superhuman: Book Review...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

Constructing a Theory of Life
An all-encompassing framework of physics could help to explain the evolution of consciousness, intelligence, and free will.

Usurping Quantum Theory
The search is on for a fundamental framework that allows for even stranger links between particles than quantum theory—which could lead us to a theory of everything.

Fuzzballs v Black Holes
A radical theory replaces the cosmic crunchers with fuzzy quantum spheres, potentially solving the black-hole information paradox and explaining away the Big Bang and the origin of time.

Whose Physics Is It Anyway? Q&A with Chanda Prescod-Weinstein
Why physics and astronomy communities must take diversity issues seriously in order to do good science.

FQXi FORUM
September 19, 2018

CATEGORY: The Nature of Time Essay Contest (2008) [back]
TOPIC: Smaller than Planck time by Guenter Hauser [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Guenter Hauser wrote on Dec. 2, 2008 @ 14:31 GMT
Essay Abstract

The twin paradox where two persons can age at different rates is an astonishing effect. I will ask whether we could get a better understanding of the non-global nature of time by a concept which I call transparent time. This kind of time is associated with unobservable transformations. I also do argue for the existence of an additional more fundamental type of time, the underlying time, partly in line with John Cramer's Pseudo time. The Planck time, an extremely small amount of time, is often considered as the smallest period of time. Smaller intervals either do not exist or a new theory is necessary to explain this domain of physics. Starting from the hypotheses that it is an intermediate equilibrium instead of a block universe what we are able to observe, I argue that it is the current version of the history which we do experience, and not the “original” history. From the equilibrium with the current version of the history, I get a series of operator equivalence classes C1, C2, C3,… together with a series of critical times. Each of the times in this decreasing series marks the beginning of a new domain of physics. Each domain has got its own version of an uncertainty principle. Planck time is not the smallest critical time and most of the critical times are smaller – smaller yet by another quite large factor. Finally all the laws of physics plus the universe(s) themselves, become united in a single space.

Author Bio

Degree in Physics from Technical University Munich

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Gloria Lapiz wrote on Sep. 15, 2017 @ 14:27 GMT
thank you for sharing your essay. I enjoyed reading it. Also, for quite some time I've been interested in this topic (especially since I wrote a few pieces on it for theessayservice). I found this sciencefocus article -- think you will like it.

Cheers

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Emma mary Stones wrote on Nov. 3, 2017 @ 07:12 GMT
I wish i would have come here sooner as i am an expert of writing. I love the topic for this contest and the only thing i would have required to do was a little bit of my own research. I have many sources to look from one for them is assignment help service which can provide valuable content help to me whenever i need to write an essay or an assignment.

Bookmark and Share

Julina Martin wrote on Nov. 7, 2017 @ 12:38 GMT
The abstract is always written after the paper is completed. "Abstract" means that you have "abstracted", or taken out, the main ideas and put them in a short version that someone can read to decide whether they want to read the whole Pay Someone To Write My Essay. Start with your thesis- what is the topic, and what position are you going to take on it? Then decide what evidence you need to support your thesis and look it up. Your thesis needs to be something that can be argued- ask yourself if someone could take the opposite point of view.

Bookmark and Share

Amanda Leon replied on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 07:17 GMT
Planck time, an extremely small amount of time, is usually considered the smallest period of time Professional paper writer. Smaller intervals either do not exist or a new theory is needed to explain this physical field.

Bookmark and Share

Julina Martin wrote on Nov. 7, 2017 @ 12:42 GMT
The abstract is always written after the paper is completed. "Abstract" means that you have "abstracted", or taken out, the main ideas and put them in a short version that someone can read to decide whether they want to read the whole Pay Someone To Write My Essay . Start with your thesis- what is the topic, and what position are you going to take on it? Then decide what evidence you need to support your thesis and look it up. Your thesis needs to be something that can be argued- ask yourself if someone could take the opposite point of view.

Bookmark and Share

Amanda Leon wrote on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 07:18 GMT
Planck time, an extremely small amount of time, is usually considered the smallest period of time Professional paper writer. Smaller intervals either do not exist or a new theory is needed to explain this physical field.

Bookmark and Share

Elizabeth David wrote on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 07:23 GMT
From assuming that it is an intermediate balance rather than a block universe what we can observe is Professional paper writer, I think it is the current version of our experience, not the "original" history.

Bookmark and Share

issia cristian wrote on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 14:02 GMT
high energy physics is often called particle physics these days...it is the study of the most elementary particles found in nature...these particles are not found under normal everyday conditions, but usually only when high specialized laboratories create conditions of high energy, often by colliding matter at extremely high speeds. write my essay paper .do a google search for high energy physics or particle physics and you can read much more

Bookmark and Share

Anna Julia wrote on Feb. 1, 2018 @ 09:51 GMT
If you are struggling with your dissertation and need help to cope up then contact us for dissertation help. We provide all kinds of academic writing services.

Bookmark and Share

Erica Sena wrote on Mar. 5, 2018 @ 20:14 GMT
You must be a good writer, I can see that your writing services review article was very well written!

Bookmark and Share

Erica Sena wrote on Mar. 5, 2018 @ 20:14 GMT
Thank you very much for posting and sharing this great article. It is so interesting for me [url=https://awriter.org/essay-writing-services/]best essay writing service review[/url]

Bookmark and Share

Erica Sena wrote on Mar. 5, 2018 @ 20:15 GMT
I can fully understand your working hard.https://awriter.org/academized-com-review/

Bookmark and Share

Erica Sena wrote on Mar. 5, 2018 @ 20:18 GMT
top essay writing services

Bookmark and Share

maria smith smith wrote on Mar. 31, 2018 @ 05:56 GMT
This is very nicely written post. Mobdro apk 2018

Bookmark and Share

lionel john wrote on Apr. 9, 2018 @ 10:14 GMT
free std and hiv testing

A lot of valuable details related to the physics topics are being shared here. I am a regular reader of most of the posts shared here and this one also helped me to know about a fair amount of things. Thanks for the share.

Bookmark and Share

sheeraz khatri khatri wrote on Apr. 20, 2018 @ 11:13 GMT
Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also. Ginger Tea

Bookmark and Share

digene larjem wrote on Aug. 3, 2018 @ 06:02 GMT
NJMCDirect is an online portal which allows you to pay the ticket fines which you have received from New Jersy Court.

njmcdirect |

www.njmcdirect.com |

njmcdirect.com

Bookmark and Share

digene larjem wrote on Aug. 3, 2018 @ 06:05 GMT
NJMCDirect is an online portal which allows you to pay the ticket fines which you have received from New Jersy Court.

njmcdirect |

www.njmcdirect.com |

www.njmcdirect.com

Bookmark and Share

Nikki Heysen Heysen wrote on Sep. 4, 2018 @ 08:53 GMT
The academic experts at StudentsAssignmentHelp.com offers top-quality Students Assignment Help Australia services for all the students studying in Australian colleges or universities. Our writers are well-versed with all the academic discipline and offer the best guidance at a reasonable cost.

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Sep. 15, 2018 @ 14:48 GMT
This is only on the web that you can find a voyance au feminin website totally dedicated to the divinatory arts and esoterism. For all your questions, for you doubts and fear : there are always answers that you can find thanks to your voyance web, tarots cards, cristall ball or pendulum. voyance web

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.