Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

roland swan: on 1/15/18 at 6:11am UTC, wrote I regard your site it truly shares extraordinary data for readers $1 web...

roland swan: on 1/15/18 at 6:06am UTC, wrote nice

h b: on 1/12/18 at 14:18pm UTC, wrote This early practice is commonly costly as professional web developers can...

h b: on 1/12/18 at 14:14pm UTC, wrote This early practice is commonly costly as professional web developers can...

h b: on 12/23/17 at 18:13pm UTC, wrote Your basic blog is usually informative; it provides information to your...

h b: on 11/26/17 at 7:40am UTC, wrote So you'on probably auxiliary in the network assertion online pitch. You've...

h b: on 11/26/17 at 7:39am UTC, wrote So you'on probably auxiliary in the network assertion online pitch. You've...

johnz 308: on 11/12/17 at 11:22am UTC, wrote Bitcoin to US Bank Account, Bitcoin To Chase Wells fargo Checking Account,...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Lorraine Ford: "In quantum events, energy is not always conserved: i.e. the numbers, for..." in Constructing a Theory of...

Georgina Woodward: "I think the definition of existence that is used will either allow or..." in Constructing a Theory of...

ariana pham: "Nice to read the information here. The content of this post is very useful..." in Ed Witten on the Nature...

Kane Williamson: "Time of social event is all in all something Egyptian Colloquial Arabic..." in Podcast Up: Interacting...

Kinal Kaur: "I just want to thanks to making such a wonderful website concept. Article..." in Quantum Replicants:...

Jennet Will: "Repkickz the best seller of the Replica. Buy off-white replica with us and..." in Fuzzballs v Black Holes

Andrew Jackson: "Brother is a renowned brand and it never frustrates its clients. The..." in Manipulating the Quantum...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Constructing a Theory of Life
An all-encompassing framework of physics could help to explain the evolution of consciousness, intelligence, and free will.

Usurping Quantum Theory
The search is on for a fundamental framework that allows for even stranger links between particles than quantum theory—which could lead us to a theory of everything.

Fuzzballs v Black Holes
A radical theory replaces the cosmic crunchers with fuzzy quantum spheres, potentially solving the black-hole information paradox and explaining away the Big Bang and the origin of time.

Whose Physics Is It Anyway? Q&A with Chanda Prescod-Weinstein
Why physics and astronomy communities must take diversity issues seriously in order to do good science.

Why Time Might Not Be an Illusion
Einstein’s relativity pushes physicists towards a picture of the universe as a block, in which the past, present, and future all exist on the same footing; but maybe that shift in thinking has gone too far.

FQXi FORUM
August 16, 2018

CATEGORY: The Nature of Time Essay Contest (2008) [back]
TOPIC: The physical nature of time by Sherman Loran Jenkins [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Sherman Loran Jenkins wrote on Dec. 2, 2008 @ 14:27 GMT
Essay Abstract

Time has three principle features that lead me to conclude that time and all reality occur from a common origin. Number one, time moves forward but has no direction. Number two, the pace of time is not constant. Number three, time has a common regulator through out the universe. The principle characteristics of time and times' relationship to mass and energy tend to the conclusion that time and matter originate together from the structure and energy of space. Time and all reality can be seen as though it derives from one trait. Math, physics, philosophy and religion must not be entangled when looking for the true nature of time. The true nature of time can be entirely lost by a careless connection between disciplines. As an example, symmetry, as a mathematical tool, is very powerful; but in physics we must look for the hidden cause of patterns; and not permit numbers to dictate a concept of reality where only an illusion of time exists. Our perception of time is most sensitive to an ill conceived overlap of disciplines. The entanglement of math with physics is nearly universal when pondering the nature of time. And to grasp the physical structure that yields time, we must avoid basic errors in math. Time, distance and mass derive from one source - the structure of the universe. The conclusion here permits one to describe the time sensitive CMBR signature from structure alone. This structure yields the mass of the fundamental particles; and constants of interaction. Here we shall approach the derivation of alpha from the base position that mass, distance and time are linked and have a common origin.

Author Bio

Sherman Jenkins has studied Physics and Mathematics at the University of Missouri, Washington University and the University of California.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Sherman Jenkins wrote on Dec. 14, 2008 @ 04:30 GMT
Good question number one. Why do I think that the electron is made of three 1/3 charge quark like particles? More properly, why do I say that the electron is a composite particle? The short answer is that it works; and leads to the best theory of everything that I have found. Why would anyone prefer a standard theory that has an assortment of fundamental particles with more than 6 different charge levels? Why, when a composite electron in a universal lattice of only one type constituent particle yields a TOE that explains a host of puzzling questions?

Bookmark and Share

Sherman Jenkins wrote on Dec. 23, 2008 @ 05:50 GMT
"How does what we call time emerge from a lattice of charge?"

The phase state of the lattice structure corresponds to a specific temperature of the lattice. As the lattice structure and temperature are both locked by the phase state through out the universe. And as all matter is made up of groupings of the charge components and holes in the lattice. (We see those groupings as electrons, quarks, protons, neutrons etc.) All material structures, being composed of displaced bits of the lattice and holes, are therefore regulated by the lattice temperature. And energy exchange by all matter is determined by the temperature and motion of the lattice.

The temperature of the lattice is the underlying regulator. Of all things. Including motion through the lattice. And motion through the lattice is of necessity sequential due to the nature of matter and how it must move in the lattice of space. Easiest to visualize with the positive bits as they do not move by them selves but are transported by the sequential movement of the negative bits, one after the next. That is, movement of material objects through the lattice of space is advanced by a pattern of steps that transport the groupings through the lattice.

So the holes and the bits of charge making up protons, for example, must move along with electrons (three bits of charge) as they move through the lattice of space. And the temperature dance of the lattice bits regulate how matter moves. And this same structure and temperature limit how pulses of energy are transported.

The encounter of an electron and positron can result in the release of energy equal to the energy that created them. The charge bits of the electron can fill the holes of the positron. But in the case of stable material in our part of the universe this is not so easy. The energy of the mass must be released to drop the component parts back into the lattice.

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Jan. 2, 2009 @ 07:53 GMT
Sherman,

Going over the essays here, I was quite struc by the simplicity with which yours explains the nature of time. However, more than the simplicity, I like how time happens *because it has to*: in other words, how time is a logical consequence of the phase locking of lattice maximal packing and lattice temperature.

Interestingly enough, another essay here, the one by Gil

Jannes gave me a good visualization of how time "just happens". Gil Jannes is studying a theory of quantum gravity from a condensed-matter approach. From that, I remebered what I know about weird states of matter like Bose-Einstein condensates. In those states, behavior arises from very simple rules.

Given these connections, it would not surprise me if time really does arise from the simple phase-state locking of the lattice of point charges as described by you, Sherman.

Another interesting connection that I see to your ideas is in the article from Physical Review "Journey to the Center of the Neutron]." In this article, a finding is described that how fast each of the three quarks moves inside the neutron determines the charge distribution in space of the neutron--another linking of energy with space and time. I do not think that the quarks having charges multiples of -1/3 is a coincidence!

report post as inappropriate

Astro wrote on May. 17, 2010 @ 13:41 GMT
Time is not tangible. It's part of our measurements of the external world as away to track them over a duration, but i truely don't believe that time itself is a physical dymnamical quantity, like space itself.

I know Minkowski space attempts to place them as essentially the same thing, but physics is heading in a direction where time is no longer a phenomena of geometry, but something quantized, local, embedded in area's of Planck length. Reality in short, exists for fleeting flashes of existence - not this linearity we sense all around us.

Bookmark and Share

h b wrote on Jan. 12, 2018 @ 14:14 GMT
This early practice is commonly costly as professional web developers can act you all from a hundred bucks to thousands of dollars, depending upon how puzzling you lack your website to be. Indian Bank Online Banking

Bookmark and Share

h b wrote on Jan. 12, 2018 @ 14:18 GMT
This early practice is commonly costly as professional web developers can act you all from a hundred bucks to thousands of dollars, depending upon how puzzling you lack your website to be. Indian Bank Online Banking

Bookmark and Share

roland swan wrote on Jan. 15, 2018 @ 06:06 GMT
nice

Bookmark and Share

roland swan wrote on Jan. 15, 2018 @ 06:11 GMT
I regard your site it truly shares extraordinary data for readers

$1 web Hosting much thanks for this efforts.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.