Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Peter Morgan: on 9/21/21 at 20:19pm UTC, wrote How much difference do you see between the classical and quantum parts of...

Jens Eisert: on 9/21/21 at 18:18pm UTC, wrote Date of seminar: 12 July 2021 - 4:00pm - 5:00pm (GST) Title: Learning...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Stefan Weckbach: "Hi John, yes, the universe may work in an imperfect manner, I would and..." in The Present State of...

John Cox: "Stefan, The Present State of Physics does not address the philosophic..." in The Present State of...

Jim Snowdon: "People on the sunny side, would always see the Sun in the same place in the..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

Georgina Woodward: ""In the process of investigating all that, they will hopefully also help to..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

Georgina Woodward: "Video uploaded to YouTube. 'Adjusting Future, Past and Present' ..." in The Nature of Time

Georgina Woodward: "The two kinds of time are 1. foundational; change in the existing, material..." in The Nature of Time

Steve Dufourny: "The tools or systems are not really the problem in resume, it is how we..." in Global Collaboration

Mohammad Asadi-Dalir: "When I look at my awareness of things, I see that my consciousness is..." in Consciousness and the...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Good Vibrations
Microbead 'motor' exploits natural fluctuations for power.

Reconstructing Physics
New photon experiment gives new meta-framework, 'constructor theory,' a boost.

The Quantum Engineer: Q&A with Alexia Auffèves
Experiments seek to use quantum observations as fuel to power mini motors.

The Quantum Clock-Maker Investigating COVID-19, Causality, and the Trouble with AI
Sally Shrapnel, a quantum physicist and medical practitioner, on her experiments into cause-and-effect that could help us understand time’s arrow—and build better healthcare algorithms.

Connect the Quantum Dots for a New Kind of Fuel
'Artificial atoms' allow physicists to manipulate individual electrons—and could help to reduce energy wastage in electronic devices.

FQXi BLOGS
October 25, 2021

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Learning classical and quantum dynamical laws from data by Jens Eisert [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Blogger Jens Eisert wrote on Sep. 21, 2021 @ 18:18 GMT
Date of seminar: 12 July 2021 - 4:00pm - 5:00pm (GST)

Title: Learning classical and quantum dynamical laws from data

Abstract: Traditionally, physical laws are being formulated in a largely heuristic fashion and subsequently their predictions are empirically explored. Generations of physics students are being told that Hamiltonians govern the dynamics of physical systems both in the quantum and classical realm. While this is perfectly right, much less is said on how these Hamiltonian are determined or characterized in the first place. Often, a-priori knowledge of some sort is available, but then the question emerges of how one can be sure that the actual Hamiltonian is close to the anticipated one based on physical reasoning. This issue seems particularly pressing for complex systems involving many degrees of freedom, or for systems in the quantum technologies where high precision is imperative.

These basic yet profound insights motivate efforts to learn Hamiltonians - or directly physical laws - from data. In the first part of this talk, we will be concerned with new ways of learning classical dynamical laws from data. We move on to learn instances of quantum Hamiltonians from data, and show how superconducting devices as experimented with by the Google AI team can be characterized to unprecedented precision. We will see how one can set up a tensor network based and machine learning inspired way of learning quantum many-body Hamiltonians from dynamical data. If time allows, I will mention aspects of rigorously minded quantum-assisted machine learning and of the recovery of quantum processes from data. In an outlook, we will discuss further perspectives of data-driven approaches in identifying physical laws from data.

Keywords: #iaf #quantum #foundations #data

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

This forum thread is open to the public.

Peter Warwick Morgan wrote on Sep. 21, 2021 @ 20:19 GMT
How much difference do you see between the classical and quantum parts of your talk, Jens? I wonder whether you think that Koopman's Hilbert space formalism for classical mechanics might help to bring them more together?

That's a somewhat leading question, as you'll know if you've seen my talk at IQOQI in March or my paper in Annals of Physics 2020. In both of those, I adopt a signal analysis approach to the interpretation of both classical and quantum mechanics, so I feel a lot of common cause with your approach and with your talk.

Koopman's Hilbert space formalism, however, is perhaps not as important as an algebraic understanding that nonabelian transformation algebras are as significant and as natural for classical measurement theory as they are for quantum measurement theory. Consequently, measurement incompatibility and contextuality need to be included as naturally as possible in any fully realized formalism for classical mechanics. [Even if we introduce noncommutativity into classical mechanics, there remain two other differences between classical and quantum mechanics, but I won't bother you with those here. I'll mention that I've discussed these ideas quite a bit with Marek Gluza, so you can ask him about them before responding here or elsewhere. In any case, Nice Talk!]

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.