Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Steve Dufourny: on 6/21/21 at 13:10pm UTC, wrote Hello, I liked a lot your ideas and expliantions, the technologies...

Natalia Ares: on 6/21/21 at 1:32am UTC, wrote Abstract: Understanding how thermodynamics operates at small scales, where...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Vesuvius Now, Not an A theorist OR B theorist. I want both series under..." in The Nature of Time

Vesuvius Now: "Woodward, are you an A-theorist or a B-theorist? And a Presentist or an..." in The Nature of Time

Franco Nori: "Non-Hermitian Systems / Open Quantum Systems are not only of fundamental..." in A Summary of Some of our...

John Cox: "Georgi, I don't know." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "Hi john, I've watched a video explaining that the 'pinball' idea of current..." in The Present State of...

Amrit Sorli: "We have only 2 times in the universe: - psychological time that has its..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Lorraine Ford: "The minimum requirement for any mathematical system. Remember? Remember all..." in Consciousness and the...

olivier denis: ""I d like to know more about your general philosophy of this universe, what..." in Alternative Models of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Good Vibrations
Microbead 'motor' exploits natural fluctuations for power.

Reconstructing Physics
New photon experiment gives new meta-framework, 'constructor theory,' a boost.

The Quantum Engineer: Q&A with Alexia Auffèves
Experiments seek to use quantum observations as fuel to power mini motors.

The Quantum Clock-Maker Investigating COVID-19, Causality, and the Trouble with AI
Sally Shrapnel, a quantum physicist and medical practitioner, on her experiments into cause-and-effect that could help us understand time’s arrow—and build better healthcare algorithms.

Connect the Quantum Dots for a New Kind of Fuel
'Artificial atoms' allow physicists to manipulate individual electrons—and could help to reduce energy wastage in electronic devices.

FQXi BLOGS
December 7, 2021

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Electromechanics for thermodynamics at the nano-scale by Natalia Ares [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Blogger Natalia Ares wrote on Jun. 21, 2021 @ 01:32 GMT
Abstract:

Understanding how thermodynamics operates at small scales, where fluctuations are significant and quantum behaviour arises, may reveal possibilities for entirely novel technologies. We can explore thermodynamics in this limit by combining exquisite control over mechanical degrees of freedom and the quantum states of confined electrons. I will show how to detect the displacement of a carbon nanotube approaching the standard quantum

limit near the phonon ground state [1-2]. With quantum dots embedded in a carbon nanotube, we were able to explore the impact of electron tunnelling in the nanotube’s mechanical energy, evidenced by the excitation of coherent self-oscillations [3]. I will discuss the potential of these findings to pave the way for experiments on quantum thermodynamics, in particular, for direct measurements of work exchange.

References

[1] N. Ares et al. Physical Review Letters 117, 170801 (2016)

[2] Y. Wen et al. Applied Physics Letters 113, 153101 (2018)

[3] Y. Wen et al. Nature Physics 16, 75 (2020)

Keywords: #quantum #thermodynamics #nanodevices #IAF

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

This forum thread is open to the public.

Steve Dufourny wrote on Jun. 21, 2021 @ 13:10 GMT
Hello, I liked a lot your ideas and expliantions, the technologies correlated indeed can be very relevant in the details of this thermo. I consider the heat and thermodynamics like the QFT so important universally speaking. I have studied a lot several books of Zemanski about the laws of thermodynamics. I have considered 3 main finite primoridal series in my model of spherisation, an optimisation evolution of the universal sphere or future sphere with quantum and cosmological 3D spheres . The series oddly having the same number than the cosmological finite serie of spheres, the dirac large number. I have considered the main codes in the space vacuum of the DE, and the two others are fuels, the photons and the cold dark matter, we have so like 3 ethers and when they merge they create the fields, geometries, matters,topologies.The fact that the space vacuum possesses the main codes and that the two others are encoded permit a distribution of cold and heat and permit the properties thermodynamicl of matters, that is why the water is the water with its properties of cold and heat and the liquid, solid, gas. Your ideas are very interesting about the small scales and the fractalisations of these distributed thermos can be better understood. I have also remarked that the volumes preserved of spheres and the densities can be very relevant when we consider the encodings of informations. Regards and congrats for your ideas and works.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.