Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Steve Dufourny: on 5/6/21 at 20:13pm UTC, wrote Hi Kjetil , welcome on FQXi, I have a model , the universe will not...

Kjetil Hustveit: on 5/6/21 at 19:50pm UTC, wrote Thank you professor Rovelli for a wonderfully refreshing talk. You probably...

Steve Dufourny: on 4/30/21 at 14:02pm UTC, wrote Professor Rovelli, at the end the discussions are about the observations...

Steve Dufourny: on 4/30/21 at 12:02pm UTC, wrote Hello Professor Rovelli, It is a very relevant general analysis. I agree...

Carlo Rovelli: on 4/30/21 at 0:01am UTC, wrote Quantum Limits of Knowledge 2021 Tuesday 30th March, 2021 Discussions...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Lorraine Ford: "Georgina, Describe in words, or other symbols: - What "consciousness"..." in How does the brain...

Lorraine Ford: "Steve, “I am going to be frank with respect, you have no idea about”..." in Round Table on 'Varieties...

Georgina Woodward: ""Consciousness and agency are a single undivided piece." Lorraine ford...." in How does the brain...

Steve Dufourny: "I search a road with the spherical topological geometrical algebras that I..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "Lorraine, I am going to be frank with respect, you have no idea about this..." in Round Table on 'Varieties...

Georgina Woodward: "A short book, newly published on Amazon. The Right Time by Georgina..." in The Nature of Time

Steve Dufourny: "I forgot these pions , they are interesting also like the kaons The Pion..." in Alternative Models of...

Joe Schindler: "Neural correlates, computational correlates, and the prospects of..." in Neural correlates,...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Can Choices Curve Spacetime?
Two teams are developing ways to detect quantum-gravitational effects in the lab.

The Quantum Engine That Simultaneously Heats and Cools
Tiny device could help boost quantum electronics.

The Quantum Refrigerator
A tiny cooling device could help rewrite the thermodynamic rule book for quantum machines.

Time to Think
Philosopher Jenann Ismael invokes the thermodynamic arrow of time to explain how human intelligence emerged through culture.

Lockdown Lab Life
Grounded physicists are exploring the use of online and virtual-reality conferencing, and AI-controlled experiments, to maintain social distancing. Post-pandemic, these positive innovations could make science more accessible and environmentally-friendly.

FQXi BLOGS
May 13, 2021

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: How to be a Realist without Wave-Function Realism; Relational QM by Carlo Rovelli [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Blogger Carlo Rovelli wrote on Apr. 30, 2021 @ 00:01 GMT
Quantum Limits of Knowledge 2021

Tuesday 30th March, 2021

Discussions on quantum mechanics often assume that an epistemic interpretation of the wave function (or the Hilbertspace's state) is incompatible with realism and requires an instrumentalist view of science. I show that this is a mistake. Quantum mechanics can be interpreted without makeing reference to observers, agents, or knowledge, but without wavefunction realism either.

Keywords: #quantum #interpretations #realism

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

This forum thread is open to the public.

Steve Dufourny wrote on Apr. 30, 2021 @ 12:02 GMT
Hello Professor Rovelli,

It is a very relevant general analysis. I agree to begin with the fact that it exists concrete general theories converging due to their interpretations when they are rational and deterministicv like said Feynmann. I make the same in my model and these 3D spheres , I don t reject the others, I try to converge in sorting and in respecting this determinism if I can...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
Steve Dufourny replied on Apr. 30, 2021 @ 14:02 GMT
Professor Rovelli, at the end the discussions are about the observations and the philosophy. A person asks you about a supreme observer and that we could not even exist without this observation. We arrive at deep philosophical questions. Like I said I consider an infinite eternal consciousness creating a project, a system physical in evolution. The sciences community is divided about this, some...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

Kjetil Hustveit wrote on May. 6, 2021 @ 19:50 GMT
Thank you professor Rovelli for a wonderfully refreshing talk. You probably pinpointed an important cause of confusion. And it is truly strange that the discreteness of reality is not fully embraced after nearly a hundred years of quantum mechanics.

I think the hunt for an esthetic grand theory may seriously limit the solution space, although it has led to many extraordinary achievements. Leonard Susskind expressed it nicely by saying “it is what it is”

I’m not a professional myself but like to think that everything is just information and structure arose from chaos by combining causality, relation and chance fueled by “points of action” that instigates change. Time, space, matter and forces are emergent from this chaos. How could the incredibly stable and complex universe self assemble from this? This can only happen if, by incredibly luck, it generates a very well functioning error correction structure. And that is what all the beautiful mathematics mimics. Relational QM seems to fit this picture.

This however leads to the slightly controversial conclusion that conservation of energy also is emergent and that the universe at some point will evaporate, but also opens for explaining dark matter and dark energy as information captured and processed by the error correction layers - in which space time may be important. I have to throw in that this also builds on a definition of the universe as “a collection of information where the elements have a non zero chance of influencing each other” which rules out an infinite universe.

And at that I’ll stop the ranting :)

Bookmark and Share
Steve Dufourny replied on May. 6, 2021 @ 20:13 GMT
Hi Kjetil , welcome on FQXi, I have a model , the universe will not evaporate but the potential is infinite, so the universal sphere wich is a finite evolutive system will increase in mass and complexity. Do you know my theory of spherisation, an optimisation evolution of the universal sphere or future sphere with quantum and cosmological 3D spheres, I consider that the main codes are in the space vacuum of the Dark energy , finite series coded sent from the central cosmological sphere a super matter energy and the two other series are the photons and the cold dark matter and when they merge they create the topologies, geometries, matters, fields, I have invented the spherical geometrical topological algebras for the 3 main series of 3D spheres and the quantum gravitation appears . Rovelli has well generalised our 5 main theories, mine in all humility can be considered also and that can converge with the fields, waves, and there is like a conjecture even with the strings , just that I don t consider the extradimensions. What are your thoughts ? regards

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.