Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

John Cox: on 4/28/21 at 2:48am UTC, wrote Non-identical electrons can be a modeled example of "field(s) on a higher...

John Cox: on 4/26/21 at 14:43pm UTC, wrote Many thanks from the lay perspective to Alyssa Ney and the minority cohorts...

Joe Schindler: on 4/21/21 at 18:48pm UTC, wrote Quantum Limits of Knowledge 2021 Monday 29th March, 2021 Wave function...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Schindler: "Thank you to Eugen Muchowski for suggesting we open a thread to discuss his..." in On a contextual model...

Georgina Woodward: "I've just read that sharks and turtles also use the Earth's magnetic field..." in How does the brain...

Steve Dufourny: "Lorraine, You tell an interesting point when you tell "The Boolean AND and..." in How does the brain...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Lorraine, I was at university also in 3 in geology but I have stopped..." in Round Table on 'Varieties...

Lorraine Ford: "Steve, I studied Physics, Maths and Computer Science at university. The..." in Round Table on 'Varieties...

Georgina Woodward: ""As an alternate option to search your book, you can use advanced search...." in The Nature of Time

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Vesuvius, Thanks for looking. Its on Amazon.com. My books can be found..." in The Nature of Time

Steve Dufourny: "I search a road with the spherical topological geometrical algebras that I..." in Alternative Models of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Can Choices Curve Spacetime?
Two teams are developing ways to detect quantum-gravitational effects in the lab.

The Quantum Engine That Simultaneously Heats and Cools
Tiny device could help boost quantum electronics.

The Quantum Refrigerator
A tiny cooling device could help rewrite the thermodynamic rule book for quantum machines.

Time to Think
Philosopher Jenann Ismael invokes the thermodynamic arrow of time to explain how human intelligence emerged through culture.

Lockdown Lab Life
Grounded physicists are exploring the use of online and virtual-reality conferencing, and AI-controlled experiments, to maintain social distancing. Post-pandemic, these positive innovations could make science more accessible and environmentally-friendly.

FQXi BLOGS
May 18, 2021

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Three Arguments for Wave Function Realism by Alyssa Ney [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Joe Schindler wrote on Apr. 21, 2021 @ 18:48 GMT
Quantum Limits of Knowledge 2021

Monday 29th March, 2021

Wave function realism is an interpretative framework for quantum theories which recommends taking the central ontology of these theories to consist of the quantum wave function, understood as a field on a high-dimensional space. I will present and evaluate three standard arguments for wave function realism and clarify the sort of ontological framework these arguments support.

Keywords: #quantum #interpretations #wavefunction #realism

Bookmark and Share

This forum thread is open to the public.

John R. Cox wrote on Apr. 26, 2021 @ 14:43 GMT
Many thanks from the lay perspective to Alyssa Ney and the minority cohorts arguing a rationalization for the chaos of the Quantum Mechanical method. What is to often omitted in the arguments about the role of the observer in causing the problem in measurement is that we are human, and have an essential psychological need for a sense of continuity to make sense of anything ourselves. Thanks again, now we're getting somewhere. jrc

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate
John R. Cox replied on Apr. 28, 2021 @ 02:48 GMT
Non-identical electrons can be a modeled example of "field(s) on a higher dimensional space with the structure of configuration space". Picture two popcorn puffs of equal mass, continually changing shape and the continuous mathematical function of the wavefunction, tracing the topological undulation of the condensed matter's unique configuration space of each. The two electrons have all the same physical properties but will each behave alike in their own time.

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

report post as inappropriate

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.