Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Georgina Woodward: on 9/18/20 at 12:21pm UTC, wrote Thank you for your reply Zeeya. I did not know who to ask. I will just Flag...

Zeeya Merali: on 9/18/20 at 11:20am UTC, wrote Hi Georgina, I'm afraid we don't have the staff to actively monitor the...

Jason Wolfe: on 9/18/20 at 6:10am UTC, wrote Hi Georgina, I think it would be preferable to have conversations that...

Georgina Woodward: on 9/18/20 at 4:32am UTC, wrote Hi Zeeya, could the posts be more actively moderated? I don't want to flag...

Steve Dufourny: on 9/13/20 at 8:31am UTC, wrote Thanks Georgina for your message, it is nice, I am a little bit tired but...

Jason Wolfe: on 9/13/20 at 1:00am UTC, wrote Georgina, What are we allowed to say about consciousness that actually has...

Georgina Woodward: on 9/12/20 at 21:50pm UTC, wrote Sorry to hear about your heart problem.Take care of yourself and give...

Jason Wolfe: on 9/12/20 at 11:00am UTC, wrote I pray that you get to experience your consciousness for what it truly is.

RECENT FORUM POSTS

John Cox: "Georgina, beg pard, are you suggesting that the unpaired Ag electron is..." in Answering Mermin’s...

Stefan Weckbach: "The interaction of the gyroscope with the magnetic field in your reference..." in Answering Mermin’s...

Steve Dufourny: "Hello Jim, this time seems a parameter inside this physicality correlated..." in The Nature of Time

Jim Snowdon: "Hi Steve, On the nature of time, we can assume that time exists..." in The Nature of Time

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Prasad, it is a philosophical approach interesting. Like I see you..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi all, I am occupied here in finland in creating several projects like a..." in Global Collaboration

jim hughes: "We can probably say a lot more about the content of consciousness. But we..." in Understanding...

PRASAD DIVATE: "Hi all, I would like to add one more point here in different context: In..." in Understanding...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Time to Think
Philosopher Jenann Ismael invokes the thermodynamic arrow of time to explain how human intelligence emerged through culture.

Lockdown Lab Life
Grounded physicists are exploring the use of online and virtual-reality conferencing, and AI-controlled experiments, to maintain social distancing. Post-pandemic, these positive innovations could make science more accessible and environmentally-friendly.

Is Causality Fundamental?
Untangling how the human perception of cause-and-effect might arise from quantum physics, may help us understand the limits and the potential of AI.

Building Agency in the Biology Lab
Physicists are using optogenetics techniques to make a rudimentary agent, from cellular components, which can convert measurements into actions using light.

Think Quantum to Build Better AI
Investigating how quantum memory storage could aid machine learning and how quantum interactions with the environment may have played a role in evolution.

FQXi BLOGS
December 2, 2020

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: The empirical quest to understand consciousness and its functions by Liad Mudrik [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Blogger Johannes Kleiner wrote on Aug. 22, 2020 @ 18:45 GMT
In the last decades, studies of consciousness - once considered outside the scope of empirical science - have become part and parcel of cognitive science. To meet the challenge of scientifically operationalizing this high-level phenomenon, different experimental manipulations have been developed. In this talk, I will first argue that these operational definitions play a critical role in shaping the questions we ask and the conclusions we reach. I will further question the external validity of some of the findings, and examine the relations between the operational definitions and the theoretical constructs being studied. Then, I will present new, more ecological ways to study consciousness and its function. These will focus on changing the operational definitions, changing the stimuli, and changing the experimental methods, using also virtual and augmented reality. Though sometimes less controlled, I will argue that such experiments pave the way for a fuller, more complete, understanding of consciousness.

Keywords: Mathematical Consciousness Science Online Seminar Series

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

This forum thread is open to the public.

Steve Agnew wrote on Aug. 25, 2020 @ 16:41 GMT
Here is the Kleiner blog entry for Mudrik’s talk simply substituting free choice for consciousness. This shows that free choice is a much more useful scientific operationalization for why we act the way that we act, not consciousness...

In the last decades, studies of free choice- once considered outside the scope of empirical science - have become part and parcel of cognitive...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
Jason Mark Wolfe replied on Aug. 25, 2020 @ 17:10 GMT
This doesn't sound anything like consciousness. For the life of me, I can't understand what is driving your efforts so far away from actual reality of consciousness.

You would be better off describing consciousness as a kind of hunger that is seeking satisfaction/delight. It makes choices to experience those things that satisfies its hunger. But instead you talk about "noise" driving decisions?

You are so far off, you should just take all your notes and burn them. Delete all your files. Start over. Maybe go find a nice deli and eat a good sandwich (if such things still exist).

Bookmark and Share

Jason Mark Wolfe replied on Aug. 25, 2020 @ 17:34 GMT
For decades, atheist physicists have derided consciousness as having nothing to do with paranormal, in spite of all the evidence they chose to throw out.

Today, the best they can come up with is that consciousness has something to do with NOISE!

The truth is, the atheist science community has lost its grip on reality!

Bookmark and Share

Steve Agnew replied on Aug. 26, 2020 @ 04:16 GMT
Of course, this thread should be about two-dimensional time, but now seems to have wandered a bit...consciousness is a term with no meaning. Free choice has meaning...

Bookmark and Share

Jason Mark Wolfe wrote on Aug. 29, 2020 @ 22:09 GMT
"The ultimate free choice is whether to live or to die...not whether to have a cupcake or not. " Very sorry you feel sad. I was watching a video the other day about Boltzman, one of the developers of thermodynamics. Apparently, he started to understand the deeper (dire) meaning of entropy, that everything eventually falls apart. It made him so depressed that he eventually took his life.

Suicide is not the epic choice, it's the last choice of a series of choices of how we create meaning in our lives. Atheists scoff at theists and call them dumb. But theists do a better job at creating meaning for their lives.

Earlier, I looked out the bathroom window to see a cat sitting in my front yard. He was sitting on top of the lavarock that surrounds my gargoyle statue. The wind is blowing and the warm air is cooled by the shade. I felt good that a cat made a decision to sleep in my front yard.

It was actually the physics that convinced me that this world and our lives are here by design, by intention, ... not by accident. I honestly feel that God created our lives so that we could live them the way we want. It actually doesn't take much to make me happy. I don't have to terrorize the countryside, pillage and burn. I don't need to snort cocaine with hot women to give my life meaning. I don't even need to force atheists into a church against their will.

The only thing that would make me happy is for a learned person to look at the physics, at the chemistry, the biology, and to honestly and from the heart, comment that they think it looks like it was designed!

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Sep. 1, 2020 @ 21:08 GMT
Yes Steve...

Focusing on free choice might give us more meaningful inputs to interpret, rather than looking for signs of consciousness. And to Jason; it probably was your gut bacteria that made the choice for you to eat the cupcake. And technically; they are indeed a part of you, but I'd rather make those decisions myself.

Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Jason Mark Wolfe wrote on Sep. 2, 2020 @ 16:28 GMT
Meditation is a good way to learn about consciousness.

The gut might effect our decision of whether to eat the cupcake, but it is our decision about what we put in our gut. Is it based on values? Is it based on some accumulated level of happiness (or lack of)?

Bookmark and Share
Steve Dufourny replied on Sep. 2, 2020 @ 17:10 GMT
Hi Jason, it seems to be a good thing to check our mind and body , the meditation permits to be more clam and to realtivate with a kind of serenity of the mind, that needs probably exercises and practices. That depends also of persons and their lifes and states of mind, me for example I have tried due to my very difficult life and past, I have had too much sufferings and it is not easy but that helps a little bit. I have read the buddhism and the teachings of siddartha gottama Buddah, the aim being in a compassion and altruism and the mediattion permits to be in a kind of synchronisations relative with the evironments and with our mind. It is a kind of detachment. But all this seems electromagnetic and due to our brain and the body and its biology and chemistry, maybe we could reach deeper levels with deep meditations, I don t know really, I am too much nervous for this lol, the happiness is a foundamental paremater but unfortunally all we have not had the same past and we don t live the same lifes, that depends of persons, it is function of many parametyers, first of all the persons must want it and also be already in a research of spirituality or others. I like also the buddhism.

Bookmark and Share

Jason Mark Wolfe replied on Sep. 2, 2020 @ 18:20 GMT
Hi Steve,

Finding personal happiness has been difficult for me all my life. When I was young, my mom would ask me if I would be happy if water would fall up!!! Actually yeah!!! LOL

I think there was a time in our innocent past when we all hoped that meditation would lead to psychic powers! Telepathy! Telekinesis! Omniscience! Astral projection! And all those magical powers that would impress the physics community. When they weren't obvious like they are in movies like the X-men, the physics community assumed that they were ruled out and that the universe was set up in a way that makes those things impossible.

But the weird thing is, you actually could obtain information that cannot be figured out by other means. You can't break passwords. But you can figure out how the universe is constructed!

You can figure out how fields are created, as I have suggested that there are gravitons that expand from a point (from the Planck scale), and within a few seconds, they fill a space that is larger than the planet Earth. The leap from (quantum fields exist!) to (spirits and life after death exist!) is achievable if atheists didn't throw out all the data that is provided! Maybe some sincerity and honesty would go along way towards bridging this gap.

As for AI (artificial intelligence), it is my firm belief that robots and other tool platforms are meant to serve humans, not lead them.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny replied on Sep. 3, 2020 @ 08:21 GMT
Hi Jason, thanks for sharingh, I have had difficulties to be happy , I must say that like I told, it is due to all my problems and sad past , but I am a little bit better , I relativate and I try to smile even if I am sad.

The sciences help me a lot, we search answers and that helps to find his place inside this universe. About the fields, like I explained we don t know really this origin and we cannot affirm in fact simply, the fields for me are created due to these two fuels and that all is in contact in my model and so we have the fields and waves, I consider that all is made of particles and not from fields, because in my logic, we can have particles without fields but not the opposite, but I respect the philosophies and ideas of others, I just explain mine. The points at this planck scale are not proved and this planck scale is relevant but is an assumption also, it is just a mathematical extrapolation, sometimes the maths imply confusions even if I recognise that they are essential to prove the laws, axioms, equations. The universe has chosen for me the 3D, the rotating oscillating 3D spheres , I don t consider the points, they are just a mathematical fractalisation of dimensions, I don t see the necessity to have 1D points or strings and 11D , I beleive strongly that all is in 3D at all scales, regards

Bookmark and Share

Jason Mark Wolfe wrote on Sep. 3, 2020 @ 18:51 GMT
In my own opinion, I think dark energy is the effect of continually adding gravitons to the universe, for every point in space.

Bookmark and Share
Jason Mark Wolfe replied on Sep. 4, 2020 @ 07:12 GMT
An expanding graviton theory does NOT assume a conservation of the number of gravitons. The number of gravitons is always increasing. But there probably is a way to write the entropy of a graviton. When the radius of a graviton is zero, the entropy is a minimum.

Bookmark and Share

John R. Cox wrote on Sep. 5, 2020 @ 22:31 GMT
Tying this topic to Penrose's, the question has to be formulated that addresses how we can know if we are at all correct in what we define as consciousness. We are all (or should be) familiar with the illustration of entropy whereby a deck (52 cards, 4 suits, A thru 10, J,Q,K) of cards is thrown up in the air and spills out in random fashion on the floor. But what in that proves that the 52 cards that show are what the original deck was in the first place, or that some of the 52 cards on the floor are really cards. Maybe the deck didn't have an A or J,Q,K. Or it should have 1 thru 12 plus A,J,Q,K.

There is no wavelength or corresponding frequency of Purple. Yet many find it a pleasing color experience.

jrc

Bookmark and Share

Jason Mark Wolfe wrote on Sep. 5, 2020 @ 23:02 GMT
Wavelength of purple light is 380nm to 450nm. Any biological cell that is reactive at that frequency will no doubt "experience" that wavelength.

But to the question of consciousness, you might as well be asking if there is any kind of "consciousness field" that can experience not just purple light, but that can experience everything that the brain can experience. That is much harder to prove. But it most likely does.

Bookmark and Share
Steve Dufourny replied on Sep. 6, 2020 @ 09:06 GMT
you beleive that all comes from the fields like main origin and it is not proved like the strings, your model so is a simple assumption, mine also about the coded particles, 3D spheres, you have extrapolated the gravitons being points and you have just created different oscillations in 1D for them to difference these gravitons of photons, so all is a pure assumption, that is why you beleive that in meditating you can be in synchro with God but all is just in your head, in fact that comes from religious interpretations and a little bit of physics mixed, all what you tell is just an assumption, you have not proved nor the consciousness, nor the gravitons, nor the souls, all is just an extrapolation of your mind due to your encodings and ideologies since your birth, are you conscious of this, make like all, doubt and try to prove instead to affirm these assumptions like facts being sure. Probably that you have considered God before this physicality like an infinite heat, that is why you beleive in this BB and fater you oscillate just the photons, it is a common thought, nothing of innovative or exceptional, all this is an assumption Jason

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny replied on Sep. 6, 2020 @ 09:22 GMT
for example I respect their works like the geometrodynamics theorists or the lie E8 algebras but they consider points or strings in 1D and after they oscillate them and rank them with the associativity, commutativity and non commutativity , I like these works and I beleive that we have a conjecture with the 3D coded spheres but the main difference if the origin of geometries, topologies and fields, and the foundamental objects, we don t know really in fact the secret of all this, we just utilise partitions,and mathematival tools to try to reach these unknowns. The problem for me is to consider that we have only photons like primoridal essence and so they have invebted the gravitons to fractalise the fields in changing the oscillations of photons but we cannot renormalise in this logic and quantify this quantum weakest force, that proves that we need to consider a deeper logic superimposed and we need fruthermore a balance to explain the heat cold equilibrium or others like the anti matter or others the charges....it is there that this DM encoded cold solves the problem of antimatter and QG, we need a balance , the standad model and all our actaul aparticles seem encircled by this gravitation, that is why it seems to be the main chief orchestra and the electromagntism is just emergent due to photons encoded, but we must find and prove the real universal balance, I beleive strongly that we cannot check this gravitation with fields and photons, we have a different logic , the cold for me is the answer like a fractal near this zero absolute wich in fact does not exist like the planck scale for me, they are just mathenatical extrapolations, we have a pure 3D at all scales, All my reasoning is an assumption but I see like this.

Bookmark and Share

Jason Mark Wolfe replied on Sep. 6, 2020 @ 10:33 GMT
Steve,

You don't need 99% of the mathematical bull**** that is used to mesmerize the children.

You need an experiment that can prove that gravity can be harnessed using field generator technology. You need to prove that gravity and quantum mechanics have something in common.

The fact that you don't believe in the big bang tells me that you are a conspiracy nut whose frontal lobe is used to keep your interior brain from getting cold.

Bookmark and Share

Jason Mark Wolfe wrote on Sep. 6, 2020 @ 13:05 GMT
I know what caused the big bang, as effortless as a light emitting diode emitting a photon of E = hf = energy of the big bang. Except it was a higher than 3D+1 field emitting a photon. All you string theorists with your undetectable superstrings with 26 dimensions. Did you ever consider that a field might have 26 or more dimensions? Did you ever consider that a field might have consciousness? Be consciousness? Could such a field emit a photon? Could a photon really be the surface area of an expanding graviton of radius r = ct? How stable could a surface area of an expanding graviton be if it has the energy of the big bang in the form of E = hf?

Bookmark and Share
Steve Dufourny replied on Sep. 6, 2020 @ 13:17 GMT
the difference between us is that the string theorists for the majortity ofrme and my 3D spheres or others, we don t affirm, you you affirm and no you don t know nor the BB if it is correct, nor how this infinite eternal consciousness transforms the E in matters and creates the geometries, topologies and matters and fields, you don t know, you beleive that you know, it is different, it is due to a kind of spiritual euphory and you beleive that god has told you the truth and you beleive that you are a genius, all this is simply in your head and not true, it is a fact , you repeat always the same in fact, a little bit of God, after the virtual photons and gravitons and hop hocus pocus you conclude like an universal truth, but no, be sure all is just assumptions that you cannot prove, in fact you have proved nothing,you don t speak to God and god does not tell you the truths, it is still this psychological problem for me, you want to be a kind of genius, mixed with Jesus m aybe I don t know but be sure it is odd and not rational

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

Jason Mark Wolfe replied on Sep. 6, 2020 @ 16:17 GMT
The big bang is a scientific fact. You'll have to get used to believing in facts. BTW 2+2=4; get used to that too!

In contrast, superstrings, E8, quantum loop gravity and twistor theory are all speculation that don't have any experiments to prove they exist.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny replied on Sep. 6, 2020 @ 16:29 GMT
I can affirm you Jason that it is a model, not a total proved idea, be sure, search informations about this, you shall see that I am right, even if the CMB is a reality, that does not prove really this BB, in fact there is even a foundamental problem with the BB , it does not explain the energy, the space and time, and even if the huble lemaitre works converge, we cannot affirm, What I tell simply is that it is just a photonic thermodynalical interpretations , it lacks several things , that implies things not solved simply

Bookmark and Share

Jason Mark Wolfe wrote on Sep. 6, 2020 @ 23:04 GMT
I think it's interesting that the big bang model, when rolled backwards in time, suggests lower and lower entropy.

The lowest possible entropy would be a single photon (graviton) with an energy E = hf = energy of the big bang 10^60 Joules, and a wavelength of 10^-94 meters.

Genesis 1:3 And God said, "Let there be light..."

Well, a photon is a particle of light. God let there be a photon with the smallest possible entropy. That was the big bang!

The atheist physics community has had a century to come up with an answer to "what caused the big bang". The fact that they have failed is rather interesting.

My personal stake in all of this is that I want humanity to explore space using faster and faster technologies that will take us farther and farther, beyond the speed of light. I want humanity to meet Extraterrestrials. I want humanity to mine asteroids and to build space stations in this solar system and beyond. And if we owe our lives to a Creator that looks down from above, at our souls that have incarnated into fleshy bodies made of alchemy, bio-molecular machinery, then we should call it an exciting time to be alive!!!

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward wrote on Sep. 7, 2020 @ 02:31 GMT
Conscious experience is dependent on the function of the brain. How the brain functions can be affected by brain biochemistry, which is affected by diet.

Vitamin D and the omega-3 fatty acids control serotonin synthesis and action, part 2: relevance for ADHD, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and impulsive behavior Rhonda P Patrick , Bruce N Ames 2015 Jun;29(6):2207-22. doi:...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
Georgina Woodward replied on Sep. 7, 2020 @ 03:03 GMT
Epigenomics. 2012 Jun; 4(3): 303–315.doi: 10.2217/epi.12.20

Prenatal nutrition, epigenetics and schizophrenia risk: can we test causal effects? James B Kirkbride,3 Ezra Susse, et al

Prenatal nutrition & schizophrenia in offspring

"The strongest evidence relating maternal prenatal nutrition to schizophrenia in offspring derives from a series of studies based on...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward replied on Sep. 8, 2020 @ 08:14 GMT
"A 2018 study published in the Annals of Pharmacotherapy​ found that vitamin D deficiency was significantly greater in children with ADHD. The research also demonstrated that vitamin D supplementation improved cognitive function in the conceptual level, inattention, opposition, hyperactivity, and impulsivity domains." The impact of vitamin D supplementation on ADHD: Studywww.nutraingredients-usa.com › Article › 2020/02/11

Is the vitamin D causing the person to pay more attention to products generated from external stimuli and not the internal world of private thoughts, and imagination self generated from internal sources of input to the rational mind? Is it lack of attention to the products of the senses that leads to psychotic amalgamation of the real and imagined? And the confusion of the rational mind that tries to make sense of that experience?

A former housemate of one of my sons was being troubled by demons. He insisted on taking a spiritual rather than medical approach. Some of the housemates teasingly drew pentagrams in the dust. The unfortunate guy was distressed by that, insisting that they were portals by which the demons could get to him. For him it was a real experiences.

Bookmark and Share

Jason Mark Wolfe replied on Sep. 8, 2020 @ 08:19 GMT
It is my opinion that we are spiritual beings living inside of a biochemical cellular machine. We are interfaced at the level of the wave function, where "wave function" is a set of quantum fields that includes not just the 4D geometry of the physical world, but higher dimensional lifeforms that are beyond the realm of present day physics.

Bookmark and Share

John R. Cox wrote on Sep. 8, 2020 @ 11:59 GMT
I still think that "The empirical quest to understand consciousness and its functions" has little to do with anti-gravitational drive conjectures and grand globalization topological modeling of the universe, and more to do with emergent higher order effects where it is possible to distinguish between known electro-chemical response by the retina of the human eye, and the experience of visual perception.

Discuss...

Bookmark and Share
John R. Cox replied on Sep. 8, 2020 @ 15:28 GMT
Apparently this topic isn't very provocative of discussion, maybe we should all just go to the comic book store and sit around listening to the gamers argue about their Graphic Design Engines.

Bookmark and Share

Jason Mark Wolfe replied on Sep. 8, 2020 @ 19:14 GMT
The atheist scientific interpretation of consciousness is an insult to the reality of consciousness. I mean, the sheer audacity of throwing out hundreds of thousands of testimonials of near death experiences to make room for what? The god of Spinoza? That is just the stupidest thing I have ever heard of!

Bookmark and Share

John R. Cox replied on Sep. 8, 2020 @ 21:48 GMT
Jason,

The topic is 'empirical understanding' your personal religious belief does not alter the definition. Unless, of course, you wish to argue that consciousness has nothing to do with human physiology. In which case you are irrelevant to the discussion. This is a scientific forum and abuse of that privilege is articulated in the terms of use. If you must repeatedly be challneged for proselytizing then Members of FQXi will have to be petitioned to block you entirely. You have no legal right to demand that everyone adopt your faith, it says so in Article One of the U.S. Constitution specifically: government and law of the United States of America "will respect no organized religion" . Cease and desist!

John R. Cox

Bookmark and Share

Jason Mark Wolfe wrote on Sep. 12, 2020 @ 09:45 GMT
Do you have any sense of what drives consciousness?

Bookmark and Share
Steve Dufourny replied on Sep. 12, 2020 @ 09:50 GMT
we search all answers concrete and rational, and nobody has the answer really , nor you you know, you still beleive that you underatand things better than the others, but no Jason, it is the same still with your origin of the universe, the gravitons and others, in fact you are too much persuaded about your ideas, and you don t prove them, you don t make like us, you affirm without proofs in fact, I cannot understand this, it is still this euphoty spiritual you know, we discuss and always you make the same, you try to impress or tell that you know but you prove nothing, I find this very odd Jason

Bookmark and Share

Jason Mark Wolfe replied on Sep. 12, 2020 @ 11:00 GMT
I pray that you get to experience your consciousness for what it truly is.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.