Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Steve Dufourny: on 8/31/20 at 9:58am UTC, wrote No , Don t know this shop, Narpes is indeed very quiet and beautiful, they...

Jason Wolfe: on 8/30/20 at 22:15pm UTC, wrote Found Narpes. Certainly is beautiful and looks quiet. Have you ever gone...

Jason Wolfe: on 8/30/20 at 22:07pm UTC, wrote So I have a theory about n-dim fields that transmit complex signals. ...

Steve Dufourny: on 8/30/20 at 18:09pm UTC, wrote I can understand and I respect your choice, indeed I don t beleive in...

Jason Wolfe: on 8/30/20 at 17:55pm UTC, wrote Some things are rational and logical. Some things are not; and they don't...

Steve Dufourny: on 8/30/20 at 17:42pm UTC, wrote Thanks for sharing Jason, when I utilise the word deterministic, maybe It...

Jason Wolfe: on 8/30/20 at 17:33pm UTC, wrote https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measurement_in_quantum_mechanics "The...

Steve Dufourny: on 8/30/20 at 14:02pm UTC, wrote Jason, the non deterministic phenomen for me maybe can be analysed in the...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

John Cox: "Georgina, beg pard, are you suggesting that the unpaired Ag electron is..." in Answering Mermin’s...

Stefan Weckbach: "The interaction of the gyroscope with the magnetic field in your reference..." in Answering Mermin’s...

Steve Dufourny: "Hello Jim, this time seems a parameter inside this physicality correlated..." in The Nature of Time

Jim Snowdon: "Hi Steve, On the nature of time, we can assume that time exists..." in The Nature of Time

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Prasad, it is a philosophical approach interesting. Like I see you..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi all, I am occupied here in finland in creating several projects like a..." in Global Collaboration

jim hughes: "We can probably say a lot more about the content of consciousness. But we..." in Understanding...

PRASAD DIVATE: "Hi all, I would like to add one more point here in different context: In..." in Understanding...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Time to Think
Philosopher Jenann Ismael invokes the thermodynamic arrow of time to explain how human intelligence emerged through culture.

Lockdown Lab Life
Grounded physicists are exploring the use of online and virtual-reality conferencing, and AI-controlled experiments, to maintain social distancing. Post-pandemic, these positive innovations could make science more accessible and environmentally-friendly.

Is Causality Fundamental?
Untangling how the human perception of cause-and-effect might arise from quantum physics, may help us understand the limits and the potential of AI.

Building Agency in the Biology Lab
Physicists are using optogenetics techniques to make a rudimentary agent, from cellular components, which can convert measurements into actions using light.

Think Quantum to Build Better AI
Investigating how quantum memory storage could aid machine learning and how quantum interactions with the environment may have played a role in evolution.

FQXi BLOGS
December 2, 2020

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: An Opinionated Introduction to Phenomenology by Jeff Yoshimi [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Blogger Johannes Kleiner wrote on Aug. 22, 2020 @ 18:43 GMT
Phenomenology studies the structure and dynamics of conscious experience. Sincxe its inception in the early 20th century, hundreds of thousands of pages of detailed phenomenological analysis have been produced. In the last few decades this work has been increasingly integrated with the cognitive sciences, via "neuro-phenomenology" and "naturalized phenomenology". I advocate an approach to phenomenology which treats it as a vast database of hypotheses about consciousness, subject to rejection, revision, and refinement on the basis of contact with other work in the cognitive sciences. I give an opinionated overview of the field, focusing on several lines of research I believe to be especially promising. First, a "field theory of consciousness" according to which experiences are organized into a central "theme" surrounded by two kinds of peripheral structure (a "thematic field" and a "margin"). Second, a theory of "horizons" according to which we never experience objects in isolation, but only relative to an implicit sense of possible ways they could manifest themselves in further experience. By explicating or "unfolding" these horizons we can introspectively "model" our sense of an object, and ultimately our sense of the world as whole. These phenomenological models can be linked to computational and behavioral studies of agents in environments.

Keywords: Mathematical Consciousness Science Online Seminar Series

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

This forum thread is open to the public.

Jason Mark Wolfe wrote on Aug. 22, 2020 @ 20:00 GMT
Our souls are like those 26 dimensional superstrings that theorists imagine. But when it's time to reincarnate, those 26 dimensional souls get shoved into a 3D physical body.

Bookmark and Share

Jason Mark Wolfe wrote on Aug. 23, 2020 @ 06:21 GMT
Let's be honest. The science community is not going to confirm or validate anything like a soul or an afterlife. If they had that kind of information, they would use it to make our lives even less bearable!

Bookmark and Share
Steve Dufourny replied on Aug. 23, 2020 @ 13:30 GMT
Hi Jason, a part of thinkers in physics have their own ideas but it is not really well seen to speak about this, and we must admit that it is complicated to affirm and be sure, we cannot prove or explain this, I beleive that we have indeed a kind of body mind soul problem, and we must to encircle this really understand the planck scale or the main codes , our main uniqueness if it exists, we have too much limitations, it is the same with the meaning of God if it exists, we cannot prove if a thing codes the informations, all what we can is just discuss in trying to respect the determinism and it becomes pure philosophy. Nobody knows all this, like I told you I beleive that yes there is a continuity and we encode just foundamental things and we forget others, like sortings but how can we affirm these things? They are just assumptions.

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

Jason Mark Wolfe replied on Aug. 23, 2020 @ 23:41 GMT
Okay Steve,

If turning your back on God brings you healing, then do that! But I still look at the Periodic table, at the standard model, and it looks to me like the universe is Intelligently Designed. I have also had experiences with the Deity. So, I don't know what to tell you.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny replied on Aug. 24, 2020 @ 10:14 GMT
don t be persuaded about your thoughts but doubt, I can just tell you this, you are persuaded about the republican patriotism and the catholicism , and your interpretation of God like if they were the only one truth, but don t forget that it is just in your head due to your education, your encoding of informations and your adaptation in your environments, but of I can, nor the catholicism and the bible have been proved like a truth, nor the fact that the republicans and the pure capitalism and the production of arms have been proved by the universe like foundamental , nor the fact that in praying god we can be healed, sorry but it is a truth, so now, like you are a human, your vanity and the fact that you are persuaded irritates you , you know we are all like that us the humans, we are persuaded and vanitious and irritated when the others think differently, me also you know, but a sure thing, we can never affirm assumptions, we must doubt simply, so doubt or try to prove what you affirm or what is true in your mind .

Bookmark and Share

Steve Agnew wrote on Aug. 26, 2020 @ 04:23 GMT
I am loving this shift of consciousness into free choice...here is Yoshimi's shift to free choice...

Phenomenology studies the structure and dynamics of free choice. Since its inception in the early 20th century, hundreds of thousands of pages of detailed phenomenological analysis have been produced. In the last few decades this work has been increasingly integrated with the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
Jason Mark Wolfe replied on Aug. 26, 2020 @ 04:59 GMT
Can you simplify this to something that a child would understand? I see FREE CHOICE x2, and then something about "choking a wolf". I don't recognize anything that has to do with the common experiences of human beings.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Agnew replied on Aug. 29, 2020 @ 21:19 GMT
Good comment...philosophy makes a living by being obscure, but philosophy does ask useful questions.

Yoshimi's example of Husserl's method for cooking a meal may be enlightening. The central theme would then be in cooking a meal and then his thematic fields would be in chopping zucchini, then onions, and so on. Each thematic field would become central theme during the activity and would involve all of those experiences.

These are Husserl's familiar experiences of an articulated theme and the result of the central articulated theme is then very predictable...eating a meal...and therefore this is not much of a learning experience. The horizon of such a theme then relates all of the experiences.

During the central theme of cooking a meal, there are also a set of margins like music playing in the background. These margins Husserl calls our empty horizon, which seems like a strange name. The unexpected comes from the empty horizon and much greater learning because a new song my actually take over the moment and make us forget about cooking for some moments.

Just like any philosopher, Yoshimi then says that Husserl's field theory may or may not be useful for AI. It may explicate (i.e. explain) our sense of an object...somehow, philosophy never does really explicate anything, but it is fun anyway...

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.