Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Steve Dufourny: on 8/3/20 at 10:30am UTC, wrote I repeat this simple general intuitive idea, what are your thoughts? .... ...

Steve Dufourny: on 8/3/20 at 9:19am UTC, wrote You know Tejinder, I don t want to destroy the works of strings theorists,...

Steve Dufourny: on 8/3/20 at 8:19am UTC, wrote like I said I was surprised to reach it , in changing the distances and in...

Steve Dufourny: on 8/3/20 at 8:14am UTC, wrote what I tell is that the symmetries and automorphisms shall not change this...

Steve Dufourny: on 8/3/20 at 8:12am UTC, wrote why all are focused on these strings I don t know , and I know that it is...

Steve Dufourny: on 8/3/20 at 8:09am UTC, wrote Hi Tejinder, like I explained it is also a string development and...

Tejinder Singh: on 8/3/20 at 7:28am UTC, wrote Dear Jason, You ask: is there a theory better than string theory? Kindly...

Steve Dufourny: on 8/2/20 at 12:30pm UTC, wrote instead to accelerate the process of evolution of discoveries, unfortunally...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "there is something of very relevant for the actions coupled in matters and..." in Is Causality Fundamental?

Steve Dufourny: "I have utilised this general method for the quantum gravitation and oddly I..." in Is Causality Fundamental?

Jim Snowdon: "Hi Steve, The Earth`s rotational motion is the physical mechanism..." in The Nature of Time

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Mr Snowdon, I beleive indeed that there is a link with the rotations of..." in The Nature of Time

Steve Dufourny: "I repeat this simple general intuitive idea, what are your thoughts? .... ..." in Undecidability,...

Steve Dufourny: "You know Tejinder, I don t want to destroy the works of strings theorists,..." in Undecidability,...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Lockdown Lab Life
Grounded physicists are exploring the use of online and virtual-reality conferencing, and AI-controlled experiments, to maintain social distancing. Post-pandemic, these positive innovations could make science more accessible and environmentally-friendly.

Is Causality Fundamental?
Untangling how the human perception of cause-and-effect might arise from quantum physics, may help us understand the limits and the potential of AI.

Building Agency in the Biology Lab
Physicists are using optogenetics techniques to make a rudimentary agent, from cellular components, which can convert measurements into actions using light.

Think Quantum to Build Better AI
Investigating how quantum memory storage could aid machine learning and how quantum interactions with the environment may have played a role in evolution.

Outside the Box
A proposed quantum set-up that could predict your game-playing strategy resurrects Newcomb’s classic quiz show paradox.

FQXi BLOGS
August 4, 2020

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability - Essay Contest Winners [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator David Sloan wrote on Jul. 29, 2020 @ 15:03 GMT
FQXi's essay contests are always set up as a challenge for our community to push back on the boundaries of our understanding. This year was no different, as we asked you to decide how something could be undecidable, compute what we would find uncomputable, and predict where we will find the unpredictable. As ever the response to the call was impressive. After a long period of analysis and deliberation our panel have returned their verdict:

Unable to separate the top two candidates, the panel elected to jointly award first place to Markus Mueller for "Undecidability and unpredictability: not limitations, but triumphs of science" , and Klaas Landsman for "Undecidability and indeterminism" . The panel were impressed by the deep philosophical implications of Landsman's work, and the clear logical writing displayed by Mueller.

Taking a second place prize is David Wolpert and David Kinney's "Noisy Deductive Reasoning: How Humans Construct Math, and How Math Constructs Universes" . The panel cited the discussion of the role of mathematicians as imperfect reasoners as novel and interesting.

Discretionary prizes were awarded to Rick Searle's "Computational Complexity as Anthropic Principle" with the panel noting the entertaining literary device of an imagined conversation between Laplace, Champollion and a mechanical Oracle, and to Jochen Szangolies's "Epistemic Horizons: This Sentence is 1/√2(|True> + |False>)" for a creative approach to the problem.

Thank you to our sponsors, The Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation for making this happen. We also thank our anonymous judging panel for the hard work they put in, and congratulate our winners. And finally, thanks to everyone who entered the contest. We hope to see you again in the next contest soon!

For a full set of winners with third and fourth place please see the winners list

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

Steve Dufourny wrote on Jul. 29, 2020 @ 19:24 GMT
Hi Mr Sloan, great to see these results, I beleive they are just, They were my favorites, My favorite was Flavio Del Santo personally, congrats to all the winners and long life to FQXi, you make a wonderful job, friendly

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Jul. 29, 2020 @ 20:16 GMT
Congratulations to all the winners!

I recall enjoying several of your essays. Some of my favorites were overlooked. I can't say I got to read all of the ones that turned up in the winner's circle, however.

Thanks to everyone who participated, for making it enjoyable. I really do enjoy the engaging debates. I'm not one of those folks who is just looking for appreciation, because I want to understand things on a deeper level.

So it is disappointing when some of the folks who end up winning choose not to engage with folks like myself. I think they would get something out of reading my essay, but many in these contests are very insular. That I don't like so much.

Best to All,

Jonathan.

Bookmark and Share
Steve Dufourny replied on Jul. 30, 2020 @ 07:53 GMT
Hello Jonathan, hope you are well, I am understanding your words. I asked me if you could help me also in this project of global collaboration, the aim being to create concrete solutions adapted to our global system to optimise what we can improve. The aim is to convice this UN and make a win win for all. Hope you could put some ideas , I beleive strongly that it is important and that we must try to solve and FQXi and thinkers seems essential to reach this aim. take care, regards

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Jul. 30, 2020 @ 17:58 GMT
Congratulations to the winners. I must confess that I didn't evaluate any of the winners. They have quite impressive credentials and from what I understood in the abstracts, challenging concepts. I most likely scanned several and with my meager math background went on. Like Jonathan, I have experienced evaluating winners in several past contests and most did not return the favor. Of course, some did. But under the circumstance, I value these contests and the opportunity to exchange ideas. I have learned a great deal from participants in the contest and hope to continue.

Bookmark and Share

Michael Smith wrote on Jul. 30, 2020 @ 23:31 GMT
A big congrats to the winners and to everyone who participated! As a first timer submitting an article, I must say I was impressed by the diversity and originality of ideas submitted and the thought provoking topic selected by FQXi.

One suggestion I might offer for future contests is to add an "engagement" prize for one or more individuals who are especially responsive in replying to posts about their article and offering constructive feedback to other articles (but not necessarily rating their articles in return). This might help encourage healthy dialogue while discouraging the "I rated yours so you should rate mine" expectation.

Bookmark and Share

Jason Mark Wolfe wrote on Aug. 1, 2020 @ 08:45 GMT
Wish I could decide the next essay topic! Topics I would suggest include:

- Quantum gravity

- Is there a theory better than string theory?

- What theory would best unify QM with GR?

- What is the connections between wave functions and gravitons?

- Are the gravitons the foundation carriers of the physics constants?

- Does a gravitational propulsion experiment exist?

- Are the Einstein equations a special case for gravity?

- Forget a theory of Everything, is there a theory that will lead to new technology?

Bookmark and Share
Steve Dufourny replied on Aug. 2, 2020 @ 12:27 GMT
Hi Jason, lol Is there a theory better than string theory?, yes of course, the 3D quantum spheres but of course for this, the lobbies of strings , the universities and the strings theorists must less insist about the main origin of our physicality, they consider all that our geometries, topologies, matters come from fields , it is a fashion in fact because they had not an other theory, but these coded particles spherical turn, are in motions and oscillate ......

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny replied on Aug. 2, 2020 @ 12:29 GMT
An other paramter is this vanity , all we are persuaded and it is difficult to change a line of reasoning, imagine all these Phd and professors having worked so many years in the maths of strings, and me I arrive with my small coded quantum spheres, I am a problem in fact and I am conscious of this, the vanity and the money are against me lol

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny replied on Aug. 2, 2020 @ 12:30 GMT
instead to accelerate the process of evolution of discoveries, unfortunally this vanity decreases it , the competition is well but the points of equilibrium also like the complementarity ....

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward wrote on Aug. 2, 2020 @ 06:42 GMT
CONGRATULATIONS WINNERS!! : )

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.