Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Vladimir Fedorov: on 5/18/20 at 7:25am UTC, wrote Dear Tatsu, I greatly appreciated your work and discussion. I am very glad...

John Vastola: on 5/17/20 at 20:14pm UTC, wrote Glad to see a shout-out of the Koopman-von-Neumann formulation of classical...

Pavel Poluian: on 5/15/20 at 15:34pm UTC, wrote Deeply respected Djordje Minic and Tatsu Takeuchi Great job! A panorama of...

James Hoover: on 5/13/20 at 18:33pm UTC, wrote Djordje & Tatsu, Interesting discussion about an open-ended universe. It...

Yutaka Shikano: on 5/12/20 at 8:13am UTC, wrote Dear Djordje and Tatsu, This essay is also open ended :) I enjoyed...

Irek Defee: on 5/11/20 at 16:17pm UTC, wrote Dear Authors, Your essay is written in good style and provides excellent...

Flavio Del Santo: on 5/10/20 at 14:30pm UTC, wrote Dear Profs. Minic and Takeuchi, I loved reading your brilliant and...

Luca Valeri: on 5/6/20 at 16:29pm UTC, wrote Hi Djordje and Tatsu What a well written, interesting and really dense...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Max? Why?" in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Steve Agnew: "Mueller opens his essay with... "As the argument goes, there are truths..." in Undecidability,...

Steve Dufourny: "Dear Lorraine, :) thanks a lot, I am touched by these words from you, take..." in The Present State of...

Dr Narayan Bhadra: "All the Honourable Scientists are cordially requested to feedback that we..." in Undecidability,...

Stefan Weckbach: "To shortly resume my main points here for a better understanding: I wrote ..." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "The mass of the lion entity is not divided between different areas of high..." in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Jim Snowdon: "Since evolving on our rapidly rotating planet, we have used it`s rotational..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

Steve Dufourny: "a general universal clock of evolution irreversible correlated for me with..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Quantum Clock-Maker Investigating COVID-19, Causality, and the Trouble with AI
Sally Shrapnel, a quantum physicist and medical practitioner, on her experiments into cause-and-effect that could help us understand time’s arrow—and build better healthcare algorithms.

Connect the Quantum Dots for a New Kind of Fuel
'Artificial atoms' allow physicists to manipulate individual electrons—and could help to reduce energy wastage in electronic devices.

Can Choices Curve Spacetime?
Two teams are developing ways to detect quantum-gravitational effects in the lab.

The Quantum Engine That Simultaneously Heats and Cools
Tiny device could help boost quantum electronics.

The Quantum Refrigerator
A tiny cooling device could help rewrite the thermodynamic rule book for quantum machines.

FQXi FORUM
September 19, 2021

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: An Open-ended Quantum Universe by Tatsu Takeuchi [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Tatsu Takeuchi wrote on May. 5, 2020 @ 20:09 GMT
Essay Abstract

We present various arguments for an open-ended nature of the Universe, especially in the light of quantum foundations, including quantum gravity, and the questions of computability and undecidability. We also comment on the role of the choice of the number field in our descriptions of the regularity of natural phenomena and we argue for the emergent nature of the laws of nature at different scales of the Universe. Finally, in this context we make some remarks regarding the Universe-Multiverse debate.

Author Bio

Djordje Minic is Professor of Physics at Virginia Tech. He has over 150 publications in string theory, and various other fields of theoretical physics ranging from condensed matter physics to quantum foundations. He is the author of a popular book honoring the 2005 Year of Physics, titled "In search of another miraculous year" (published in 2005 in Serbia). Tatsu Takeuchi is Associate Professor of Physics at Virginia Tech. He has over 90 publications in various areas of particle physics. His popular book "An Illustrated Guide to Relativity" has been published in three languages (English, Japanese, Chinese).

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

George Gantz wrote on May. 6, 2020 @ 01:31 GMT
Djordje and Tatsu -

A brilliant essay providing an excellent survey of the issues. It plants a flag - the World is open-ended and emergent. But I finished reading it hoping for more. If the universe is emergent and open-ended (something with which I agree) what does it show and what can we draw from it?

I think you can go farther and I would be most interested in your reaction to my thesis. The world is emergent and open-ended - but those are qualities of autonoetic consciousness. And those qualities are manifest in the features of the universe over which FQXi is struggling - undecidability, incompleteness and all the rest.

I see this is the first comment on your essay. Welcome to the fray!

George Gantz, The Door That Has No Key: https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3494

George Gantz,

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Michael muteru wrote on May. 6, 2020 @ 08:26 GMT
open ended and emergent very well put. Good work,rated you highly. Is it all emergent from cognitive ability. pls read/rate-https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3525.thanks
all the best in the contest.

Bookmark and Share

Luca Valeri wrote on May. 6, 2020 @ 16:29 GMT
Hi Djordje and Tatsu

What a well written, interesting and really dense overview of ideas of current physics. What I specially like is, that you stay non dogmatic, although you state your case.

In my essay I tried a conceptual analysis of the structure of physical laws and speculate, that the fundamental laws and objects are themselves emergent and dependent on the possible relations of the whole. I also argue that these laws might change and give rise to the phenomenology of time as factual past and open future.

The openness of the future would be an extreme one: Not because the initial conditions are not known or the laws of evolutions not computable. But because of lack of the conceptual structure that would describe the future state.

I hope, you find the time to have a look to my essay and give your opinion.

Luca

Bookmark and Share

Flavio Del Santo wrote on May. 10, 2020 @ 14:30 GMT
Dear Profs. Minic and Takeuchi,

I loved reading your brilliant and thought-provoking essay!

Needless to say, we share a great deal of your views, and I am glad and most grateful that you cite my work more than once in your essay (your ref. [4]). Indeed, your discussion on the choice of a number field is deep and I also believe that it could be at the core of new ideas on the foundations of physics. In my essay, I develop further the concepts introduced by Gisin (and myself). I appreciated very much your section on potentiality vs actuality, which is something I am also most interested in (my main research project is on the quantum measurement problem!).

I would like to comment that this problem would arise in any irreducible probabilistic theory, besides quantum physics. In my essay I discuss a "classical measurement problem" in the context of our indeterministic alternative classical physics. Moreover, I relate this to causality. I hope you may find an interest in that, and I would appreciate your feedback, should you have time to read my contribution.

At last, I liked your conclusion on emergence and Wheeler's proposition of "law without law". In this respect, you may find interesting the work of Markus P Mueller "Law without law: from observer states to physics via algorithmic information theory" (https://arxiv.org/abs/1712.01826v4), which is conceived in a subjectivist spirit (similar to QBism) and it was acclaimed with a certain favour in the quantum foundations community.

I wish you the best of luck for the contest and I give you the top rating you definitely deserve.

Best wishes,

Flavio Del Santo

Bookmark and Share

Irek Defee wrote on May. 11, 2020 @ 16:17 GMT
Dear Authors,

Your essay is written in good style and provides excellent review of issues. I would like to comment on the part concerning uncomputability since this word appears in the title of my essay. You provide account of different number systems which could have potential for physics but in my view there will be always question why these? In other words we have to go below the level of number systems when thinking about deepest foundations, the systems have to be emerging from something. In my essay this is done by considering uncomputable sequences from which the mathematical fields and other mathematical structures emerge due to the action of infinite permutation groups, there is enough headroom there for physics to be one to them. Physics would be then emerging from uncomputable substrate which means an ultimate theory without the baggage of assumptions and notions.

Best regards,

Irek Defée

Bookmark and Share

Yutaka Shikano wrote on May. 12, 2020 @ 08:13 GMT
Dear Djordje and Tatsu,

This essay is also open ended :) I enjoyed reading your essay. On the arrow of time, this question is also open ended and fundamental to understand what physics is. My colleague developed quantum mechanical solution on this problem as seen in his paper. As the background, the relationship between the information flow and arrow of time should be discussed. What do you think about such approaches from your viewpoint?

Best wishes,

Yutaka

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on May. 13, 2020 @ 18:33 GMT
Djordje & Tatsu,

Interesting discussion about an open-ended universe. It reminds me of philosophy/religion that speaks of a great spirit that co-creates though stars, galaxies, planets, bacteria, plants, and now humans, a great spirit w/o beginning or end. In such a realm, I imagine natural laws are emergent first at small distances and then large. Do all forces become one eventually, reverting back to the beginning? Hope you can check mine out: https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3396

Regards,

Jim Hoover

Bookmark and Share

Pavel Vadimovich Poluian wrote on May. 15, 2020 @ 15:34 GMT
Deeply respected Djordje Minic and Tatsu Takeuchi

Great job! A panorama of modern physics is drawn and all important problems are touched. A lot of original and unexpected. Our assessment of your work is the highest. Ten points! A very bright image of a physicist playing with the Multiversum! This is similar to the word guessing game that Wheeler described. We think a more accurate description is a game of chess. The evolution of the universe is the self-expansion of a chess game. The universe plays with itself ... Algorithms are inherent in this game. We talked about this in our essay.

Truly yours,

Pavel Poluian and Dmitry Lichargin,

Siberian Federal University.

Bookmark and Share

John Joseph Vastola wrote on May. 17, 2020 @ 20:14 GMT
Glad to see a shout-out of the Koopman-von-Neumann formulation of classical mechanics. It is endlessly fascinating to me that the same (empirically successful) theory can be mathematically described in so many different-looking ways.

Interesting to hear about the work of people like Aharonov taking a closer look at what 'measurement' really means. It makes a lot of sense to me that there are subclasses of measurements like 'weak measurements'. Maybe this is part of the key to the puzzle.

Maybe we should indeed be open to using different number fields in physics. After all, all measurement outcomes are rational numbers, and in that sense the real numbers are only a kind of idealization. Perhaps the use of p-adic numbers (or something else) should be investigated more closely.

Finally, I am very sympathetic to the idea that the fundamental laws (as we know them) are emergent from some different description. One thing that makes this hard to probe, though, is that there are probably many underlying models from which the Standard Model or something like it can 'emerge'. Also, if we find a deeper description, does that emerge from something else? Is it emergence all the way down? Thank you for the well-written essay!

John

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Nikolaevich Fedorov wrote on May. 18, 2020 @ 07:25 GMT
Dear Tatsu,

I greatly appreciated your work and discussion. I am very glad that you are not thinking in abstract patterns.

"We also comment on the role of the choice of the number field in our descriptions of the regularity of natural phenomena and we argue for the emergent nature of the laws of nature at different scales of the Universe".

While the discussion lasted, I wrote an article: “Practical guidance on calculating resonant frequencies at four levels of diagnosis and inactivation of COVID-19 coronavirus”, due to the high relevance of this topic. The work is based on the practical solution of problems in quantum mechanics, presented in the essay FQXi 2019-2020 “Universal quantum laws of the universe to solve the problems of unsolvability, computability and unpredictability”.

I hope that my modest results of work will provide you with information for thought.

Warm Regards, `

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.