Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Kevin Knuth: on 5/12/20 at 18:33pm UTC, wrote Dear Stephen, Let me first say that I am both delighted and impressed that...

James Hoover: on 5/7/20 at 17:04pm UTC, wrote Stephen, "Despite the holes in our physical theories and the valid...

Yutaka Shikano: on 5/4/20 at 21:42pm UTC, wrote Dear Stephen, Great to see a young talented student such as you at this...

Syed Raiyan Nuri Reza: on 4/30/20 at 18:31pm UTC, wrote Dear Stephen Klein, We are delighted to find an undergrad level student...

Lachlan Cresswell: on 4/30/20 at 9:04am UTC, wrote Dear Stephen, A most enjoyable essay. I cover similar ground in my essay,...

Tejinder Singh: on 4/29/20 at 12:28pm UTC, wrote Sorry to barge in Luca. Request you to kindly see my essay, The pollen and...

Luca Valeri: on 4/29/20 at 6:28am UTC, wrote Hi Stephen, Laplace's demon is such an good and inspiring topic in the...

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 4/26/20 at 16:41pm UTC, wrote Dear Stephen, You give very good doubts in the spirit of Descartes. As...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "That is about the 'anatomy"" of spacetime." in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Lorraine Ford: "So what exactly is WRONG with physics, apart from the fact that physics..." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "The perception generated of time difference relates to the potential..." in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Steve Dufourny: "Hello Jim, yes indeed in a sense we have these motions and we have invented..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

Jim Snowdon: "Hi Steve, Clearly we have motion in our Universe. It is not..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

Steve Dufourny: "You are welcome, thanks too for your words. I have never lost the faith..." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "Thank you. Good luck." in The Nature of Time

Lorraine Ford: "Rob, As you have not replied, I take it that you now concede that the..." in 16th Marcel Grossmann...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Quantum Clock-Maker Investigating COVID-19, Causality, and the Trouble with AI
Sally Shrapnel, a quantum physicist and medical practitioner, on her experiments into cause-and-effect that could help us understand time’s arrow—and build better healthcare algorithms.

Connect the Quantum Dots for a New Kind of Fuel
'Artificial atoms' allow physicists to manipulate individual electrons—and could help to reduce energy wastage in electronic devices.

Can Choices Curve Spacetime?
Two teams are developing ways to detect quantum-gravitational effects in the lab.

The Quantum Engine That Simultaneously Heats and Cools
Tiny device could help boost quantum electronics.

The Quantum Refrigerator
A tiny cooling device could help rewrite the thermodynamic rule book for quantum machines.

FQXi FORUM
September 17, 2021

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: Laplace's Demon -- Thwarted by Modern Physics, or Does He Know Something We Don't? by Stephen Klein [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Stephen Klein wrote on Apr. 25, 2020 @ 15:08 GMT
Essay Abstract

The development of Newtonian physics led the thinkers of the pre-modern era to conclude that the universe was rigidly deterministic. Pierre-Simon de Laplace developed this idea further with his famous thought experiment in which a "demon" was capable of knowing the state of every object in the universe simultaneously, and therefore could infer every event in the universe. Modern physics, namely quantum formalism and information entropy, defies the existence of such a creature. But without a way to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity, we're left to wonder whether these modern theories are really ontological, or just rudimentary models. Do these theories really stand up to Laplace's Demon, or are we kidding ourselves?

Author Bio

I am an undergraduate student studying physics at the State University of New York at Albany.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Member Tejinder Pal Singh wrote on Apr. 25, 2020 @ 16:00 GMT
Dear Stephen.,

Great to see a young student such as you at this context. Wish you all the best for your nice essay, and for asking a very pertinent question.

If you are interested, I answer precisely the question you ask (in the affirmative) in my essay here: The pollen and the electron. Underlying quantum theory is a deterministic dynamics at the Planck scale. The emergent theory at low energies loses predictability because it is not probing precisely enough.

My best regards,

Tejinder

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Member Kevin H Knuth wrote on Apr. 26, 2020 @ 07:42 GMT
Dear Stephen,

I am delighted to see your entry here.

I wish you the best of luck!

Sincerely,

Kevin Knuth

Bookmark and Share

David Brown wrote on Apr. 26, 2020 @ 08:38 GMT
"Quantum formalism sets a definite limit on the deterministic universe predicted by Newtonian mechanics."

Consider Lestone's theory of virtual cross sections:

Lestone, John Paul. Possible reason for the numerical value of the fine-structure constant. No. LA-UR-18-21550. Los Alamos National Lab.(LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States), 2018.

Consider the following hypothesis: Lestone's theory is either wrong or it requires a new law of physics.

According to some of the string theorists, spacetime is doomed. If spacetime is doomed then is a new uncertainty principle required? What might be wrong with the following?

There exists a Lestone-maximum-mass > 0, such that for any massive elementary particle in the Standard Model of particle physics,

(standard deviation of position) * (standard deviation of velocity) ≥

(reduced-Planck's-constant/2) / (Lestone-maximum-mass) .

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Apr. 26, 2020 @ 16:41 GMT
Dear Stephen,

You give very good doubts in the spirit of Descartes. As Hegel said “The owl of Minerva begins its flight only at dusk.”...To overcome the modern crisis of understanding in the philosophical basis of knowledge today, mathematicians and physicists must stubbornly "dig" to the most remote meaning-distinguishable ontological depths. Carlo Rovelli is right: Physics Needs...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Luca Valeri wrote on Apr. 29, 2020 @ 06:28 GMT
Hi Stephen,

Laplace's demon is such an good and inspiring topic in the context of this essay contest. And despite some principled limits of knowability, known from current physics (thermodynamics and quantum mechanics) as you mentioned in your essay and also from Gödel's theorem, which limits the knowability for formal languages, it is extremely difficult for me to think away the possible existence of a Laplace's demon.

This certainly is because I imagine the world in a simplistic realist way (what I criticise in my essay). But also because I haven't really seen a convincing derivation of the need of probability as a fundamental concept of the laws of physics that isn't merely epistemic (a limit of knowledge of the subjects taking part at the reality). Even if quantum mechanics suggests that randomness is not merely an epistemic problem.

Hopefully, we find in this contest an essay that can do that. Let me know if you do.

Thanks for you essay,

Luca

Bookmark and Share
Member Tejinder Pal Singh replied on Apr. 29, 2020 @ 12:28 GMT
Sorry to barge in Luca. Request you to kindly see my essay, The pollen and the electron, which addresses this very question.

Thank you,

Tejinder

Bookmark and Share

Lachlan Cresswell wrote on Apr. 30, 2020 @ 09:04 GMT
Dear Stephen,

A most enjoyable essay. I cover similar ground in my essay, which I hope you will read and comment on (I look at LaPlace’s demon and Maxwell’s demon with respect to quantum uncertainty).

I would like to state that I am not a fan of many of the interpretations of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP). I would make a comment that from my ‘Machian’ perspective...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Syed Raiyan Nuri Reza wrote on Apr. 30, 2020 @ 18:31 GMT
Dear Stephen Klein,

We are delighted to find an undergrad level student here like us!

However, your essay was as good as any other we have encountered here, both in terms of presentation and content!

The line that resonated most with us was:

“Furthermore, our mathematical formalism and analysis of nature are unavoidably human”.

The crux of our argument presented in our essay, which we hope you find interesting enough to read, analyzes the link between mathematics and cognition.

Kind Regards,

Raiyan Reza and Rastin Reza

Bookmark and Share

Yutaka Shikano wrote on May. 4, 2020 @ 21:42 GMT
Dear Stephen,

Great to see a young talented student such as you at this context. In this context,I think that the past essay article to be published from the book is closely linked to your question. The partial answer was given but your clear viewpoint cannot be answered in my viewpoint of the past essay.

Best wishes,

Yutaka

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on May. 7, 2020 @ 17:04 GMT
Stephen,

"Despite the holes in our physical theories and the valid questions of our impartiality as human beings, we can regard our physics as predictive." As I say "Maybe, by the passing of a trillion tomorrows." And regarding bridging quantum to classical states, which you mention, US & Austrian physicists have evidence of that, which I site in my essay. An interesting discussion, Stephen.

Jim Hoover

Bookmark and Share

Member Kevin H Knuth wrote on May. 12, 2020 @ 18:33 GMT
Dear Stephen,

Let me first say that I am both delighted and impressed that you entered the fray! I found your essay to be well-written, interesting, thought-provoking, and enjoyable.

I really enjoyed how you brought together multiple examples of information and indeterminism under the context of Laplace's demon. I am especially delighted to see this because, as an educator, I often worry that we present physics to our students as if everything is well-known and well-understood. Clearly, you have an excellent grasp of a number of things that are not well-understood.

Keep thinking and wondering! There is much that we all have yet to learn!

Thank you again!

Kevin

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.