Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

austin fearnley: on 5/17/20 at 9:05am UTC, wrote Terry "Heh! You can tell I did not read this paragraph before replying to...

Terry Bollinger: on 5/16/20 at 21:04pm UTC, wrote Austin, My apologies! Because I had a couple of earlier threads from you,...

Terry Bollinger: on 5/16/20 at 19:01pm UTC, wrote Dear Vladimir, Thank you for your interest in and kind words about my poor...

Vladimir Fedorov: on 5/16/20 at 13:11pm UTC, wrote Dear Terry, Glad to read your work again. I greatly appreciated your...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 5/15/20 at 8:18am UTC, wrote Dear Terry I replied your post on my essay, please check there.... Best...

Terry Bollinger: on 5/14/20 at 19:00pm UTC, wrote Dear snp, Thank you for such kind words after me providing a fairly tough...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 5/14/20 at 0:04am UTC, wrote Dear Terry I made 4 posts to reply your post, I made them smaller to...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 5/13/20 at 22:18pm UTC, wrote Dear Terry, I never expected that you will reply because our differences....

RECENT FORUM POSTS

jim hughes: "I'm not a mathematician. So what I see here is some smart people who..." in Consciousness and the...

Steve Dufourny: "Hello FQXi, the members and all, I try to do my best to unite and convice..." in Global Collaboration

Lorraine Ford: "The idea of a smooth mathematical evolution of “the wave function”, and..." in Consciousness and the...

Georgina Woodward: "Broken machine: What do[es] I see next? The I that was, E.I, has not been..." in The Room in the Elephant:...

Lorraine Ford: "Hi Stefan, I hope that a good leader, and a good political party, is..." in The Present State of...

Lorraine Ford: "We live in an age of computing. But physics, mathematics and philosophy,..." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "I've copied the comment to the thread where it belongs. This orphan can be..." in The Room in the Elephant:...

Georgina Woodward: "Thank you John. What did you think about the questioning whether altitude..." in The Nature of Time

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Good Vibrations
Microbead 'motor' exploits natural fluctuations for power.

Reconstructing Physics
New photon experiment gives new meta-framework, 'constructor theory,' a boost.

The Quantum Engineer: Q&A with Alexia Auffèves
Experiments seek to use quantum observations as fuel to power mini motors.

The Quantum Clock-Maker Investigating COVID-19, Causality, and the Trouble with AI
Sally Shrapnel, a quantum physicist and medical practitioner, on her experiments into cause-and-effect that could help us understand time’s arrow—and build better healthcare algorithms.

Connect the Quantum Dots for a New Kind of Fuel
'Artificial atoms' allow physicists to manipulate individual electrons—and could help to reduce energy wastage in electronic devices.

FQXi FORUM
September 28, 2021

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: On the Deterministic Roots of Indeterminacy by Terry Bollinger [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Terry Bollinger wrote on Apr. 25, 2020 @ 14:57 GMT
Essay Abstract

This essay proposes a variant of decoherence theory in which the classical universe is interpreted as a finite set of bits operating on top of a deterministically conservative quantum understructure. From this it is concluded that undecidability and uncomputability lack valid physical interpretations, while indeterminacy is fundamental.

Author Bio

Terry Bollinger is retired from the MITRE Corporation, where he once helped keep open source software alive. He is not a physicist, but he finds solid and insightful physics papers delightful.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

austin fearnley wrote on May. 1, 2020 @ 11:00 GMT
Terry

I really enjoyed reading your essay! You have covered many points of interest. I will say that I did not expect to find such an interesting paper here on IMO such a negative set topic. I had not originally intended to submit an essay on this topic but very late on found that my paper-in-progress could be loosely fitted to the theme too. And the extension of the deadline gave me an unwelcome(?) or grudging(?) opportunity to complete my paper in a hurry.

Taking your topic of pair creation. The vacuum is not empty so there is not necessarily a strict requirement for particle pairs to add to null. They could add to whatever was in the vacuum which contributed maybe to their creation. This is a similar point to that described in Sabine H's recent blog thread where the search for beauty in postulating a missing yin for a yang or a symmetrical ancestry for potentially broken symmetries does not necessarily lead to the truth. On the other hand (watch what I do and not what I have just said) I am keen on doing exactly that as I have postulated in various papers: particles of negative mass causing DM and DE, and antiparticles travelling backwards in time and thereby solving Bell's Theorem (my current essay paper).

Congratulations on your essay.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Terry Bollinger wrote on May. 1, 2020 @ 21:05 GMT
Austin,

Thank you for your kind comments! I too very nearly passed on this theme entirely, for much the same reason: It's a bit of a downer, really. But at some point I realized that other work I've been doing -- the dark-image interpretation of wave functions, literally the negative image of MWI, replacing infinities of universes with voids subject to unavoidably finite decoherence...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

austin fearnley wrote on May. 2, 2020 @ 12:25 GMT
Terry

First, as you may read my essay I will add a brief comment post to help: on my site page where it would be more appropriate. I ditched a lot of words to fit my paper within the ten pages allowed. Then found that the references had to be on a page without other text. But on loading my paper to the website I found that 12 pages are allowed. But too late to use the extra space. Also I...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

austin fearnley wrote on May. 4, 2020 @ 09:55 GMT
Terry

I have been reading five of your references. I suspected correctly from the way you write that your references would be readable too! Thanks. But can you point me to where I can find more about dark image interpretations?

I have been thinking further about pair creation. Ideally a yin-yang antiparticle would be the complete inverse of a particle. Backwards in time and negative mass. But problems arise in picking a neutral observation post. For example, masses of both signs should measure as positive when measured within a positive matter dominated region. Maybe the same occurs for time signs and negative time measures as positive within a region dominated by matter with positive time signs?

Best

Austin

Bookmark and Share
Author Terry Bollinger replied on May. 5, 2020 @ 05:01 GMT
Austin,

Thanks, you have raised lots of interesting points. I've been short on time, but before midnight (in 5 minutes? oops) let me mention a couple of items quickly:

-- Alas, I cannot provide any specific references for the dark function (or negative image) interpretation of quantum mechanics because... well... this essay is where I invented it.

I'm not familiar with any...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Yutaka Shikano wrote on May. 4, 2020 @ 21:58 GMT
Dear Terry,

What do you think about the information-loss paradox of the black hole? The quantity of information is important. Therefore, the Bekenstein-Hawking entropy is well defined in the context of the operational way as pointed in my past essay.

Best wishes,

Yutaka

Bookmark and Share
Author Terry Bollinger replied on May. 5, 2020 @ 05:12 GMT
Yutaka,

Thank you, I will take a look at your essay.

While I didn't get into it in this essay, I have a very specific interpretation of black holes that is based on recent papers by 't Hooft. His view is that particles become momentum waves that travel to the antipodal side of the black hole, rather than into a singularity at the center or to some other universe.

I just rephrase that idea a bit by saying that the particles enter momentum space. This is equivalent to saying that a black hole is equivalent to a spherical mirror, only one in which it's not just the electrons that are delocalized over the entire surface, but all particles. No information is lost. There is just a switch from mostly-in-xyz to mostly-in-momentum-space, which scrambles everything but does not destroy anything.

Ironically, given my independent use of "dark functions" in this essay, I've more than once called this my "dark mirrors" interpretation of black holes. I need to work on finding some cheerier adjectives!

Cheers,

Terry

Bookmark and Share

Yutaka Shikano replied on May. 11, 2020 @ 00:36 GMT
Dear Terry,

Thank you so much for answering my comment.

I am not familiar with the t'Hooft recent paper. On the new definition of the black hole, what do you think about the Hawking and Ellis textbook? Should we rewrite this book on the conceptual issue of the black hole as the "dark mirror"?

Best wishes,

Yutaka

Bookmark and Share

Author Terry Bollinger replied on May. 13, 2020 @ 00:36 GMT
Dear Yutaka,

I found both your 2013 essay and this 2020 essay interesting, and also your remarks above about black holes. 't Hooft's papers can be found pretty easily by looking up his name on either Google Scholar or directly at arXiv. Your perspective had for me some unanticipated common themes with my essay, so I ended up leaving longer (maybe too long!) comments on your essay threads.

Good luck on your essay!

Cheers,

Terry

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on May. 9, 2020 @ 09:52 GMT
Dear Prof Terry Bollinger

your starting words are very good. You are proposing another model of Universe. For a change see someother model Dynamic Universe Model as described in my essay "A properly deciding, Computing and Predicting new theory’s Philosophy"

It is an N-body problem solution which solves many present day unsolved problems give many predictions that came true. I developed with the help of Maa Vak about 40 years back. You can see my blog

" https://vaksdynamicuniversemodel.blogspot.com/ "

Best wishes to your essay

=snp

Bookmark and Share

Author Terry Bollinger wrote on May. 9, 2020 @ 11:53 GMT
Dear snp,

Thank you for your interest. To be honest, I keep hoping no one notices my very last-minute and not-properly edited essay, though I'm very fine with the ideas in it. They just need to go into a real paper somewhere.

I will take a look at your essay today.

Cheers,

Terry

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on May. 10, 2020 @ 06:24 GMT
Dear Prof Terry Bollinger ,

Why do you think like that? All the good work will be noticed , some take more time.................

Best wishes to your essay

I am waiting to see your learned comments on my essay...

Best

=snp

Bookmark and Share

Author Terry Bollinger replied on May. 13, 2020 @ 00:30 GMT
Dear snp,

I enjoyed reading your essay, but I also have a self-imposed rule that when an essay makes non-trivial mention of a specific deity of any religious tradition, I thereafter avoid making specific comments on its contents. I believe it is an important duty to us as fellow humans to respect each other's religious traditions, so I do not feel comfortable critiquing an essay that includes such beliefs. I will note, however, that I found looking up वाच् fascinating. I gather she plays a somewhat similar role in Vedic traditions to the creative aspects of the Spirit of God in Judaic traditions. There are some fascinating and ancient histories there! I wish you well on your essay.

Cheers,

Terry

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on May. 13, 2020 @ 07:56 GMT
Dear Prof Terry Bollinger,

Thank you for reading my essay. Name of the Goddess is Vak, Pronounce "k" as in coffee or cow, but not "Ch" as in Chess. Maa Vak is Hindu God of Knowledge, and education.....

People asked me "why are you entering Physic field, what degrees you got, what knowledge you got??? We are sufficient to study physics."

I told about Maa Vak, I have to. That is true for many people for them accuracy and truthfulness not important. What results you show are not important. 40 years I faced lots of humiliation. No recognition, no back patting nothing No help was available, except Maa Vak, what shall I do? They dont give seat in PhD even. For them the power and position are important. I know many people in our community are believers or followers. One Example is Prof Stephan Hawking, when he met Pope , pope appreciated him.

Its Ok . Maa gave me mental support, reduced my pain, answered my questions through my consciousness.......

I am just nobody. This difference with you cant be solved by me..........

Hope you will rate my essay ignoring the difference. i will reciprocate ....

Best Regards

=snp

Bookmark and Share

Michael muteru wrote on May. 10, 2020 @ 19:59 GMT
Hi Terry. Nice explanation there on decoherence,ilove your expansion into quantum computing. rated you well.i have something on cognitive bias here https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3525.hope you see my take on how QM arises in the simple diagrams.Thanks to you,All the best in the essay contest.

Bookmark and Share
Author Terry Bollinger replied on May. 13, 2020 @ 01:00 GMT
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your kind comments. To be honest, I submitted it so late and with so little review (one of my old hats was senior technical magazine editor) that I've been afraid to read it myself!

I had fun reading your essay, which was certainly broad ranging! In cases like this where I can tell my poor brain is just not following the thread, even after a couple of reads of some sections, I just enjoy the read and avoid making critical assessments of valuations. So thanks again for letting me know about your essay, and I wish you the best on the FQXi contest this year.

Cheers,

Terry

Bookmark and Share

austin fearnley wrote on May. 11, 2020 @ 12:42 GMT
Terry

I have been idly thinking about some of your ideas over the last week.

Multi-level structures interfering with a return to nullity ...

I did have this thought years ago about my preon model. If a standard model elementary particle has to be brought to a point (or a single state) at a measurement then if there are preons within the particle, wouldn't all the individual...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
Author Terry Bollinger replied on May. 16, 2020 @ 21:04 GMT
Austin,

My apologies! Because I had a couple of earlier threads from you, I kept losing this post even after having read it briefly back on that Monday. I kept thinking I was missing something, but then kept not finding it in the earlier threads. You have lots of interesting points, so I'll try to go through a few:

----------

>> ... If a standard model elementary...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

austin fearnley replied on May. 17, 2020 @ 09:05 GMT
Terry

"Heh! You can tell I did not read this paragraph before replying to the previous one, since I spent all of my time there talking about how internal particles of any type do not also collapse! (And BTW, since T and V are fermions, I always assumed most preon theories used fermions, not bosons. But I've not looked carefully at the area, since the orthogonal Glashow cube vectors explain...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on May. 14, 2020 @ 00:04 GMT
Dear Terry

I made 4 posts to reply your post, I made them smaller to improve readability. This is the last post there

................. Your words................

The other factor you might want to consider regarding FQXi mutual ratings is that, at least three years ago, they seemed to matter very little in terms of actual selection of winners....................

Let FQXi take their own decisions, I am not worried

I recall that I was quite disappointed when the essays that I and many others thought were the most innovative, insightful, well-written, and science-focused -- essays that scored well in reviews like this (I was not in this group) -- nonetheless ended up getting at best a few lower-level awards..........

Yes correctly said.........

Meanwhile, authors who other essayists had not noticed much during the internal reviews somehow ended up not just winning the big prizes, but getting heaps of praise for their dedicated repetition of themes that were far more traditional and predictable, and whom in at least some cases had been previously supported by the same groups that fund FQXi. An unfortunate appearance of conflict, that, although it was surely unintentional.

I dont worry, I could meet some people like you thro' this contest.

I hope you will publish some papers of me like on GRBs using Dynamic Universe model....

Best

=snp

Bookmark and Share

Author Terry Bollinger wrote on May. 14, 2020 @ 19:00 GMT
Dear snp,

Thank you for such kind words after me providing a fairly tough review! You are a good person, and I too am delighted by meeting folks like you and other here.

I like your point that the greatest value of FQXi is the interaction, not the prizes. If someone gets an FQXi prize... well celebrate! Great gravy train in the morning, why should you not? But if you...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on May. 15, 2020 @ 08:18 GMT
Dear Terry

I replied your post on my essay, please check there....

Best regards

=snp

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Nikolaevich Fedorov wrote on May. 16, 2020 @ 13:11 GMT
Dear Terry,

Glad to read your work again.

I greatly appreciated your work and discussion. I am very glad that you are not thinking in abstract patterns.

While the discussion lasted, I wrote an article: “Practical guidance on calculating resonant frequencies at four levels of diagnosis and inactivation of COVID-19 coronavirus”, due to the high relevance of this topic. The work is based on the practical solution of problems in quantum mechanics, presented in the essay FQXi 2019-2020 “Universal quantum laws of the universe to solve the problems of unsolvability, computability and unpredictability”.

I hope that my modest results of work will provide you with information for thought.

Warm Regards, `

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Author Terry Bollinger wrote on May. 16, 2020 @ 19:01 GMT
Dear Vladimir,

Thank you for your interest in and kind words about my poor scribblings!

You've got a lot of work there, but I have a rule: I always like talking to folks about their ideas, but if I find the ideas irreconcilable with my best (but poor, always) understanding of physics, I must also say that.

So, here's the big problem: I just don't see a link in any of the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.