Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Gyongyi Bokor: on 7/29/20 at 12:43pm UTC, wrote Nowadays, as far as I see, more and more researchers working on to save...

Gyongyi Bokor: on 5/19/20 at 3:25am UTC, wrote Dear Nancy Walters, Your question seems simple at first reading. However,...

Gyongyi Bokor: on 5/19/20 at 3:10am UTC, wrote Dear Pavel, The ideas you outline are incredibly interesting. I really...

Jonathan Dickau: on 5/19/20 at 3:04am UTC, wrote Sounds like Fun! No worries from me. Jonathan

nancy walters: on 5/19/20 at 2:08am UTC, wrote Dear Gyöngyi Bokor, Thank you for your essay. Do you think it's possible...

Pavel Poluian: on 5/18/20 at 18:34pm UTC, wrote You have chosen a great theme! But you come from standard concepts of time....

Gyongyi Bokor: on 5/18/20 at 16:44pm UTC, wrote Dear Austin Fearnley, Thank you very much for reading my essay. You also...

Gyongyi Bokor: on 5/18/20 at 12:36pm UTC, wrote Dear Ilgaitis Prusis, My explanation a little bit longer than a simple...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

John Cox: "Ulla, You speak of EM emission as being 'one ray' which I can imagine as a..." in The Noise of Gravitons

Ulla Mattfolk: "This all start to look like numerology. I just discuss with Bruno Marshal..." in The Noise of Gravitons

Jeremy Fiennes: "The attachment, "QUANTUM REALITY: REALLY INDETERMINATE", has two principal..." in Alternative Models of...

Ulla Mattfolk: "can you give us the link, pls. Ulla." in AI, Consciousness,...

PRASAD DIVATE: "Dear Jonathan, I recently read after sedenions come trigintaduonions! Has..." in AI, Consciousness,...

Joe Fisher: "All visible humanly contrived information contains supposedly finite..." in Time to Think

Noah Isabella: "You can either choose both Box A and B, or just Box B. But here's the..." in Outside the Box

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Time to Think
Philosopher Jenann Ismael invokes the thermodynamic arrow of time to explain how human intelligence emerged through culture.

Lockdown Lab Life
Grounded physicists are exploring the use of online and virtual-reality conferencing, and AI-controlled experiments, to maintain social distancing. Post-pandemic, these positive innovations could make science more accessible and environmentally-friendly.

Is Causality Fundamental?
Untangling how the human perception of cause-and-effect might arise from quantum physics, may help us understand the limits and the potential of AI.

Building Agency in the Biology Lab
Physicists are using optogenetics techniques to make a rudimentary agent, from cellular components, which can convert measurements into actions using light.

Think Quantum to Build Better AI
Investigating how quantum memory storage could aid machine learning and how quantum interactions with the environment may have played a role in evolution.

FQXi FORUM
September 25, 2020

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: CAN THE FUTURE CREATE THE PAST? by Gyöngyi Bokor [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Gyongyi Bokor wrote on Apr. 25, 2020 @ 12:16 GMT
Essay Abstract

Is it possible that past, present, and future exist altogether somewhere and sometime, in a hidden structure unperceivable from our world? Can there be a dimension to change our causation rules and transform them into a free formable pile of information? How can this deep dimension contact our world? Can these two worlds develop a unified system? Is it possible that this unified system is able to create and sustain itself?

Author Bio

I am not a scientist.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

Agus H Budiyanto wrote on Apr. 30, 2020 @ 02:51 GMT
Dear Gyöngyi Bokor

Thank you for your essay.

You raise some interesting questions in your essay. Can the future create the past? I think the answer is positive. It follows from the Omega Point Theory. Even though The physics of Tipler's Omega Point is wrong, I think its general philosophy is correct. My Process-Universism is a generalization of the omega point theory. I discuss this briefly in my essay.

Best regards,

Agus

Bookmark and Share
post approved
Author Gyongyi Bokor replied on May. 2, 2020 @ 05:01 GMT
Dear Agus H Budiyanto,

Thank you very much and it is a great honour to have read my writing. I will definitely read the Omega Point Theory you mentioned thoroughly. Unfortunately, I have very strict work deadlines at the moment, but in a few days, I will have more time. I would like to give you a very thorough and detailed answer, for I am really grateful for your attention.

Best regards

Gyöngyi

Bookmark and Share

Author Gyongyi Bokor replied on May. 13, 2020 @ 10:43 GMT
Dear Agus H Budiyanto,

Thanks again for your constructive comment. Thanks to you, I have been able to read very exciting studies on the subject I have discussed. I tried to get to know the Omega Point Theory you mentioned and your theory as thoroughly as possible. Both raise incredibly exciting questions.

Your essay examines whether TOE (theory of everything; a complete theory that...

view entire post

attachments: FQXi_spacetime_wire_curvatures.jpg, FQXi_past_present_future.jpg

Bookmark and Share

Author Gyongyi Bokor wrote on May. 8, 2020 @ 05:33 GMT
A corrected version of my essay can be found in the following link:

CAN THE FUTURE CREATE THE PAST?

Bookmark and Share

Author Gyongyi Bokor replied on May. 8, 2020 @ 07:39 GMT
CAN THE FUTURE CREATE THE PAST?

Bookmark and Share

Michael muteru wrote on May. 10, 2020 @ 20:11 GMT
Dear Gyongyi. Very structured and beautiful writing right from the heading- can the future create the past ? very foundational thought I believe in such an idea. rated you well.Hope you kindly read my essay -https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3525.where I discuss how all could be a product of Brain Neuroscience. All the best in the essay.keep up the good thoughts.Thanks

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate
Author Gyongyi Bokor replied on May. 15, 2020 @ 11:10 GMT
Dear Michael,

Thank you very much for your attention and comment. I am very grateful that you took the time to read my study.

In your essay, you examine very interesting questions, and some of them are related to my suggestions in many ways.

I like your opinion below.

“Measure is an Agreed Standard, Consented and Stipulated in convention to enable us to understand and...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on May. 13, 2020 @ 19:33 GMT
Well.. I have to commend you.

It takes courage to set out something like this that on the surface appears ridiculous, but is in some sense realistic or possibly accurate. I am, in fact, working in a theoretical framework that is CPT-symmetric with respect to our universe, so half of the cosmos is going the other way in time, only to meet up later at the end of the cycle. It will not be obvious to most people reading my essay that this is the case, but that is how the theory works, or what it tells me. So you are somewhat on track, in my view.

However; your arguments are weak in some places, and you have only a tenuous connection back to the essay question. It could be said that the future tyrannizes the past, because its rule is absolute. But most people would say "how could what hasn't happened yet influence the now?" Well; the idea of a holographic projection of current events onto a 2-d screen at the cosmos' end makes sense. At least it is not a total wipeout. So I give you partial credit on several areas of assessment. Overall an enjoyable read, but not definitive.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share
Author Gyongyi Bokor replied on May. 15, 2020 @ 07:01 GMT
Dear Jonathan J. Dickau,

Thank you very much for your attention and comment. I am very grateful that you took the time to read my study.

To be honest, I know that my essay is provocative as it follows a very wild logic. However, I had an interesting assumption and I tried to deduce reasonably following its logical rules. I confess I guessed that I would get strong criticism of...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on May. 19, 2020 @ 03:04 GMT
Sounds like Fun!

No worries from me.

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

austin fearnley wrote on May. 15, 2020 @ 10:54 GMT
Some of your ideas have resonance with my essay in which antimatter is suggested to travel backwards in time. In my essay I bypass Bell's Theorem by the use of antimatter travelling backwards in time. Bell's Theorem is absolutely correct of course in normal circumstances. By normal I mean for matter of every type travelling forwards in time. Bell's Theorem correctly rules out local hidden...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
Author Gyongyi Bokor replied on May. 18, 2020 @ 16:44 GMT
Dear Austin Fearnley,

Thank you very much for reading my essay. You also deal with time-returning particles in your theory, as you examine how Bell’s Theorem can apply to antimatter when Alice measures time-reversed antiparticles and Bob measures normal time particles. This is a very exciting problem, for as you write, Bell’s Theorem does not deal with this question. If I understand...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Ilgaitis Prusis wrote on May. 16, 2020 @ 13:42 GMT
Dear Gyöngyi Bokor,

Thank you for your interesting essay.

I have some remarks about Time.

Time itself does not exist. There are only motions. Motion is used as the time standard. The time is handy way to compare motions. Universal time (expansion rate of Universe) is irreversible. Local movements can be reversible, i.e., the local time can be reversible. More in: About Arrow of Time. http://viXra.org/abs/1902.0495.

The Time dilatation is apparent. All problems arise from wrong interpretation of Relativity. The Lorenz equations allow calculate real values from apparent measured values. More in:

About Tests of Special Relativity. http://viXra.org/abs/1909.0137

New Concept of Special Relativity. http://viXra.org/abs/1911.0367.

Best regards

Ilgaitis

Bookmark and Share
Author Gyongyi Bokor replied on May. 18, 2020 @ 12:36 GMT
Dear Ilgaitis Prusis,

My explanation a little bit longer than a simple comment, so I would add a link if you do not mind. I would be very grateful if you could read it anyway. I am very thankful for your interesting comment.

Answer to Prof. Ilgaitis Prusis.

Bookmark and Share

Pavel Vadimovich Poluian wrote on May. 18, 2020 @ 18:34 GMT
You have chosen a great theme! But you come from standard concepts of time. We introduce a new concept of time. The following definitions are given: 1) there is a set that we call "Time"; 2) this set consists of an infinite number of individual elements, which we call "Moments"; 3) all elements of a given set have a peculiarity: if one element is REAL, all other elements of the set are UNREAL; 4) we will call sets of this type – "AREAL SETS". It was found that the elementary areal relation is a logical law of contradiction: statements A and NOT-A together form an areal set of two elements.

Formulating the law of contradiction, Aristotle and all the logicians after him constantly emphasized: there cannot be A and NOT-A in the same respect at the same TIME. We propose to rearrange the emphasis: in our formulation, AREALITY is a special logical relation that can simulate natural Time. The proposed ontology is related to the definition and introduction of the digital physics paradigm.

Since we and you are thinking about time, we will give you a high rating. Honor our essay. Let's continue the conversation)))

Bookmark and Share
Author Gyongyi Bokor replied on May. 19, 2020 @ 03:10 GMT
Dear Pavel,

The ideas you outline are incredibly interesting. I really like the way you reinterpret time. What is beautiful about this phenomenon is that it can be interpreted in a thousand ways. If I understand correctly from your outline that you consider only the present to be distinguished, both the past and the future are secondary. You do not rank the past and future. In some ways, my essay suggests something similar. Otherwise, this kind of approach, an interpretation that moves a little away from human observation (memory, the anthropic principle, etc.), and seeks to interpret the universe by excluding the subjectivity of human observation. I try to use the same method.

I really like that you are dealing with time on a really deep philosophical level. I try to approach it similarly, but my approach is more geometrically based. I admire your deep really fundamental questions. Thank you very much for your comment.

Bookmark and Share

nancy walters wrote on May. 19, 2020 @ 02:08 GMT
Dear Gyöngyi Bokor,

Thank you for your essay. Do you think it's possible for smaller creatures to have a different experience of time? Like an ant for instance, is one month for us conceptually equal to years to them?

cc walters

Bookmark and Share
Author Gyongyi Bokor replied on May. 19, 2020 @ 03:25 GMT
Dear Nancy Walters,

Your question seems simple at first reading. However, very seriously, with careful consideration of the issue, it requires such an incredibly multifaceted investigation that there is, unfortunately, no time to do so now. Comments will be closed in a few hours. This is a very interesting question and a lot of physical factors should be considered.

How time perception is affected by our own mass, the masses near us, our movement, our location in the universe, our physiological processes, the energy used, and so on. Incredibly interesting question. It is very worth dealing with. Congratulations!

Bookmark and Share

Author Gyongyi Bokor wrote on Jul. 29, 2020 @ 12:43 GMT
Nowadays, as far as I see, more and more researchers working on to save black holes. Therefore, I think, some interesting experiments can be linked to my essay.

The most accepted view about black holes is that information crossing their horizons, glows and leaves in the form of radiation. So, after a while, the black hole itself runs out of material and disappears. However, some interesting...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.