Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Vladimir Fedorov: on 5/18/20 at 12:35pm UTC, wrote Dear Leroy, I greatly appreciated your work and discussion. I am very glad...

Leroy Cronin: on 5/10/20 at 13:00pm UTC, wrote Dear Alyssa, Thanks for your comments. Assembly theory will work for...

Leroy Cronin: on 5/10/20 at 12:50pm UTC, wrote Dear Simon, Thanks for these comments. You are right. I'm developing...

Yutaka Shikano: on 5/4/20 at 22:03pm UTC, wrote Dear Lee, I learned a lot things of the entropies in your essay. Thank...

Alyssa Adams: on 4/30/20 at 22:20pm UTC, wrote Hi Lee! Awesome essay! I really loved learning about this new idea,...

Simon DeDeo: on 4/29/20 at 23:02pm UTC, wrote Hello Lee — Very nice to see your essay in the mix this year! I really,...

Kwame Bennett: on 4/25/20 at 16:23pm UTC, wrote Quantum mechanics is very dynamic

Leroy Cronin: on 4/25/20 at 11:52am UTC, wrote Essay Abstract The Universe appears to be inherently unpredictable,...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Lorraine Ford: "So, in reply to the posts by Stefan Weckbach and Steve Dufourny above,..." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "If considering existence rather than appearances, the time dimension..." in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Georgina Woodward: "That is about the 'anatomy"" of spacetime." in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Lorraine Ford: "So what exactly is WRONG with physics, apart from the fact that physics..." in The Present State of...

Steve Dufourny: "Hello Jim, yes indeed in a sense we have these motions and we have invented..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

Jim Snowdon: "Hi Steve, Clearly we have motion in our Universe. It is not..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

Georgina Woodward: "Thank you. Good luck." in The Nature of Time

Lorraine Ford: "Rob, As you have not replied, I take it that you now concede that the..." in 16th Marcel Grossmann...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Quantum Clock-Maker Investigating COVID-19, Causality, and the Trouble with AI
Sally Shrapnel, a quantum physicist and medical practitioner, on her experiments into cause-and-effect that could help us understand time’s arrow—and build better healthcare algorithms.

Connect the Quantum Dots for a New Kind of Fuel
'Artificial atoms' allow physicists to manipulate individual electrons—and could help to reduce energy wastage in electronic devices.

Can Choices Curve Spacetime?
Two teams are developing ways to detect quantum-gravitational effects in the lab.

The Quantum Engine That Simultaneously Heats and Cools
Tiny device could help boost quantum electronics.

The Quantum Refrigerator
A tiny cooling device could help rewrite the thermodynamic rule book for quantum machines.

FQXi FORUM
September 17, 2021

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: Self-Assembling Universes Maximize Novelty by Leroy Cronin [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Leroy Cronin wrote on Apr. 25, 2020 @ 11:52 GMT
Essay Abstract

The Universe appears to be inherently unpredictable, not just for fundamental reasons from the limits of mathematical proof, or the consequences of quantum mechanics, but also due to how complex systems express or develop new rules at higher levels which emerge independently of their lower levels. However, most of these complex systems are still simple, and have few constraints which places limits on the nature of the unpredictability of the dynamics shown by these systems. Living systems are not only able to exhibit more unpredictable behaviors, but these are intrinsically more novel than the unpredictable behaviors associated with the abiotic universe. In this essay I discuss how a new theory I have been developing, assembly theory, can be used to identify if a given object has been constructed or not by exploring the constraints required for the object to form from undirected or random processes. I try to explain that the more assembled a given a system is, the more of the possible state space is accessible, and hence how both unpredictable and capable of generating novelty the system is. Finally, I argue that living systems are also intrinsically unpredictable in terms of their ability to express novelty and outline a scale of assembly which might provide a way to distinguish living systems from non-living systems.

Author Bio

Leroy (Lee) Cronin is the Regius Professor of Chemistry in Glasgow. His research has four main aims 1) the construction of an artificial life form / work out how inorganic chemistry transitioned to biology / searching for new life forms; 2) the digitization of chemistry; and 3) the use of artificial intelligence in chemistry including the construction of ‘wet’ chemical computers and to self-assemble a chemical brain; 4) The exploration of complexity and information in chemistry. He runs a team of around 60 people funded by grants from the UK EPSRC, US DARPA, Templeton, Google.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Kwame A Bennett wrote on Apr. 25, 2020 @ 16:23 GMT
Quantum mechanics is very dynamic

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Member Simon DeDeo wrote on Apr. 29, 2020 @ 23:02 GMT
Hello Lee —

Very nice to see your essay in the mix this year!

I really, really like pathway assembly. This may have been something you were telling me about the last time we met in DC—if so, I finally understand it! It is, indeed, computable—and, OK, fine, it's in NP, I think (just because it's a shortest path problem), but the way in which it is computed is quite...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
Author Leroy Cronin replied on May. 10, 2020 @ 12:50 GMT
Dear Simon,

Thanks for these comments. You are right. I'm developing assembly theory to go way beyond biology but look at the intrinsic historhy associated with a given configuration in a state space. This will apply to everything; quantum states; letters; social systems and so on. I'm working up a general representation of the theory and I aim this will replace our confused notion of 'complexity' rather looking at hwo assembled the universe is and how much assembly information is required to get to that configuration. I'm writing up the theory now and we have one or two experimental results that show how this theory can lead to new insights, understanding and predictions.

Thanks,

Lee

Bookmark and Share

Alyssa Adams wrote on Apr. 30, 2020 @ 22:20 GMT
Hi Lee!

Awesome essay! I really loved learning about this new idea, especially when it comes to thinking about proteins and how they fold. Speaking of proteins, do you think this framework is general enough to structures with that change the landscape of possible transformations over time? Using proteins as an example, most of them fold in such a way that makes it physically more difficult for other objects to attach to certain regions. So in a sense, as a structure grows, transformations are no longer equally as likely as occurring as they were before. The reason why I think this is potentially interesting is because it suggests that structures change their space of possible transformations as they evolve. Then by the time you arrive at a final structure to measure the Assembly Complexity, you might have to take this into account. I wonder if it's not actually possible to estimate that, since you'd need to know the available state space at every time step in the assembly, and if that state space changes at every step, then it could be very difficult to calculate in practice. For proteins, you'd have to know how the protein folds to do this, which is a whole other problem in itself. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, I'd be really curious to know what your thoughts are on my essay, since I focus on how state spaces change over time, and how an observer could switch to one state space to another to solve a particular problem. I think there's a lot of potential overlap between these ideas and Assembly Theory!

Cheers!

Alyssa

Bookmark and Share
Author Leroy Cronin replied on May. 10, 2020 @ 13:00 GMT
Dear Alyssa,

Thanks for your comments. Assembly theory will work for proteins and protein folding - indeed the evolved infrastructure of biology that takes advantage of the current trajectories in 'folding space' can be traced using assembly theory. I'm working on the framework that this will fit into with my team from genes and protein sequences, then 3D structures.

Assembly theory explains how you can get access to new structures based on the history of previous structures - there is no free lunch - the future is constrained by the past. Assembly theory already takes this into account.

I enjoyed your essay BTW and I'm interested how you make the decision, as an observer, to switch space. When you switch a physical space you need to ensure you have the history of that space correctly accounted for since you will be exploring one structure with another and the contexts / origins will be wrong. We can of course observe common paterns in complex systems but I think this is because the assembly spaces are similar and similar dynamics are expressed, but that is the extent of the overlap.

I hope this helps! Great to hear from you!

Lee

Bookmark and Share

Yutaka Shikano wrote on May. 4, 2020 @ 22:03 GMT
Dear Lee,

I learned a lot things of the entropies in your essay. Thank you so much. In my past essay to be published from the book, I pointed out when the entropy is used. This condition is "macroscopic". I would like to ask you when the "macroscopic" context is adapted. The biology is always in "macroscopic", itn't it??

In this time, I wrote the essay on the unpredictability on computation.

Best wishes,

Yutaka

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Nikolaevich Fedorov wrote on May. 18, 2020 @ 12:35 GMT
Dear Leroy,

I greatly appreciated your work and discussion. I am very glad that you are not thinking in abstract patterns.

"Living systems are not only able to exhibit more unpredictable behaviors, but these are intrinsically more novel than the unpredictable behaviors associated with the abiotic universe. In this essay I discuss how a new theory I have been developing, assembly theory, can be used to identify if a given object has been constructed or not by exploring the constraints required for the object to form from undirected or random processes".

While the discussion lasted, I wrote an article: “Practical guidance on calculating resonant frequencies at four levels of diagnosis and inactivation of COVID-19 coronavirus”, due to the high relevance of this topic. The work is based on the practical solution of problems in quantum mechanics, presented in the essay FQXi 2019-2020 “Universal quantum laws of the universe to solve the problems of unsolvability, computability and unpredictability”.

I hope that my modest results of work will provide you with information for thought.

Warm Regards, `

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.