Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Eric Reiter: on 9/6/20 at 19:01pm UTC, wrote Hello Barry. There is so much confusion in these discussions that I need...

Vladimir Fedorov: on 5/18/20 at 12:42pm UTC, wrote Dear Barry, I greatly appreciated your work and discussion. I am very glad...

barry gilbert: on 4/30/20 at 3:17am UTC, wrote Dear Lockie Thanks for threatening to put a nasty runic spell on me If I...

barry gilbert: on 4/30/20 at 2:45am UTC, wrote Sorry, Dr. Kadin, I got your name wrong. Cheers Barry

barry gilbert: on 4/30/20 at 2:39am UTC, wrote Dear Mr. Kadan: It is a long time between heretics, we’ve been on the...

barry gilbert: on 4/27/20 at 20:40pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr. Hodge Thank you for reading my paper and your comments. I read...

John Hodge: on 4/27/20 at 13:49pm UTC, wrote Wave model have been challenged see ...

Marts Liena: on 4/26/20 at 7:28am UTC, wrote Dear Dr. Gilbert I know what it is like to be a straw man. All believers...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Lorraine Ford: "(continued) 2. Physics has assumed that bottom-up causation IS top-down..." in The Present State of...

Lorraine Ford: "1. Physics can’t tell you why the world ever moves, i.e. physics assumes..." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "Max? Why?" in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Steve Agnew: "Mueller opens his essay with... "As the argument goes, there are truths..." in Undecidability,...

Dr Narayan Bhadra: "All the Honourable Scientists are cordially requested to feedback that we..." in Undecidability,...

Georgina Woodward: "The mass of the lion entity is not divided between different areas of high..." in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Jim Snowdon: "Since evolving on our rapidly rotating planet, we have used it`s rotational..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

Steve Dufourny: "a general universal clock of evolution irreversible correlated for me with..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Quantum Clock-Maker Investigating COVID-19, Causality, and the Trouble with AI
Sally Shrapnel, a quantum physicist and medical practitioner, on her experiments into cause-and-effect that could help us understand time’s arrow—and build better healthcare algorithms.

Connect the Quantum Dots for a New Kind of Fuel
'Artificial atoms' allow physicists to manipulate individual electrons—and could help to reduce energy wastage in electronic devices.

Can Choices Curve Spacetime?
Two teams are developing ways to detect quantum-gravitational effects in the lab.

The Quantum Engine That Simultaneously Heats and Cools
Tiny device could help boost quantum electronics.

The Quantum Refrigerator
A tiny cooling device could help rewrite the thermodynamic rule book for quantum machines.

FQXi FORUM
September 20, 2021

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: THE UNDECIDABILITY OF THE EPR PARADOX IS RESOLVED by barry gilbert [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author barry gilbert wrote on Apr. 23, 2020 @ 19:08 GMT
Essay Abstract

TheTHE UNDECIDABILITY OF THE EPR PARADOX IS RESOLVED. Abstract B. Gilbert The quantum mechanics (QM) community seems to have a public relations machine to be envied, their hubris and denigrating language, complete with their intellectual bullying tactics, are seen with great effect in physics forums and papers. J. S. Bell although sceptical of quantum mechanics QM, and particularly the Einstein Podolsky Rosen (EPR) experimental results, still accepted the photon, and therefore never bothered to create a Bell inequality to test Maxwellian wave models, only “classical billiard ball models”. I wish to propose a new loop hole, I will call the Mawellian wave model loop hole, or “Max’s loophole”(ML). Max is very appropriate, because Max Plank subscribed to the Maxwellian wave model vehemently, much to the chagrin of Albert Einstein. Max only proposed his “quantization to apply to massive particles or atoms and electron energies, propagated via Maxwellin waves. Albert on the other hand insisted that the energy must propagate in little packets, to respect the laws of energy conservation. Max proposed other solutions to solve the energy conservation issues. These proposals included, loading theory(Eric) and or an energy sea (dirac, SED, Santos). But Albert wasn't having any of it, and published his version without consulting Max. After all they were working as team up until this point. Max was very upset and their relation ship never recovered. Zero point enegy (ZPE), zero poim field(ZPF) and quantum noise are modern contenders for providing the missing energy that Albert was justifiably concerned about. This loop hole is for QM to attack, as I propose classic folk should be the noisy aggressors, instead of humble self deprecating defenders. undecidability of

Author Bio

retired from Telecom Research laboratories. ex Fellow of the HPS department of the University of Melbourne. co-authored 10 papers in international peer reviewed physics journals

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Alan M. Kadin wrote on Apr. 23, 2020 @ 22:46 GMT
Dear Mr. Gilbert:

I am another quantum skeptic, regarded as a heretic.

I agree with you that a photon is properly an electromagnetic wave packet of finite extent, which is never the model taken for comparison with quantum predictions.

I have further argued that a single photon is a circularly polarized wave packet, carrying quantized spin. So is an electron.

If you are interested, this was addressed in my previous FQXi essay, “Fundamental Waves and the Reunification of Physics”, and again in my new FQXi essay, “The Uncertain Future of Physics and Computing”.

Alan Kadin

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate
Author barry gilbert replied on Apr. 30, 2020 @ 02:39 GMT
Dear Mr. Kadan:

It is a long time between heretics, we’ve been on the endangered species list for quite some time now.

I am rather flattered that you bothered to read my essay considering your Bio compared to mine.

I thoroughly enjoyed your essay and in total agreement with most subjects you addressed.

I agree that the quantum computer (QC) is quantum mechanics...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Lachlan Cresswell wrote on Apr. 25, 2020 @ 00:59 GMT
Dear Barry,

It’s good to see that you finally decided to enter an essay in this competition.

Your essay is short, but makes a very strong point on EPR loopholes.

I downloaded “The Ghost in the Atom” by P. Davies and J. Brown. It is a good read. I noted in the foreword that the editors stated “A final thought and a note of caution; when we commissioned the interviews, several of our contributors (who shall remain nameless!) expressed the view that there is now no real doubt over how quantum theory should be interpreted. At the very least, we hope this book will show that there is little justification for such complacency.”

They were prescient, for as we now know there are serious doubts as to how to interpret a statistical theory as a framework for physics.

Check out my essay “Wandering towards a ‘Theory of Everything’ and how I was stopped from achieving my goal by Nature”, where I make observations about wave/particle duality, photons and the nature of time.

I hope others will read, challenge and discuss your most interesting ideas.

Good luck,

Lockie Cresswell

Bookmark and Share
Author barry gilbert replied on Apr. 30, 2020 @ 03:17 GMT
Dear Lockie

Thanks for threatening to put a nasty runic spell on me If I did not enter this comp. I’m enjoying it so far. I Think I’ll study more of the Foundations of Physics before I get philosophical.

Thanks also for your kind comments on my rather short essay, I liked your Inclusion of the remarks in the foreword of the “Ghost in the Atom” by Paul Davies and J Brown, my interpretation is they were bullied by QM’s to bias their account of the interviews, I wonder if Paul will get around to reading this post, he may wish to comment?

Good luck with your essay.

Barry

Bookmark and Share

Marts Liena wrote on Apr. 26, 2020 @ 07:28 GMT
Dear Dr. Gilbert

I know what it is like to be a straw man. All believers in the aether have felt like that since Einstein's SR. I think secretly even Albert felt like a strawman himself, after he was pigeonholed by Shankland.

If have read your essay correctly it would seem that the graph you referenced from Wiki needs to have its labelling reversed, with the classical viewpoint represented by the sinusoid and the quantum viewpoint by the straight line sections. How are the QM group going to wriggle out of that! Max's loophole would have dear old Max Planck laughing in the grave. I'm sure he would approve.

Good luck in your essay,

Marts

Bookmark and Share

John C Hodge wrote on Apr. 27, 2020 @ 13:49 GMT
Wave model have been challenged

see

https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation.
aspx?paperid=93056

There are other experiments rejecting wave models.

Bookmark and Share
Author barry gilbert replied on Apr. 27, 2020 @ 20:40 GMT
Dear Mr. Hodge

Thank you for reading my paper and your comments.

I read your paper on the link you provided and it appeared well thought out and reasonable. However, I must point out a couple of things:

Firstly, the laser pointer if typical of most laser pointers, would have a far-field of .5 to 1Km the slit width dimensions will create their own far fields at a similar distance. The far-field as you know is related to wavelength and the dimensions of the source. you can calculate it yourself. It is also defined as the distance at which E and H fields are orthogonal and in phase, as you would know, therefore your screen for this experiment would be valid only at this distance. Also, you would know that between your source slit and the screen, a Fourier Transform takes place at a distance of 500 meters. In between those distances, the pattern progresses from blurry shadows of your slits and nails etc. to a full-blown interference pattern at 500 metres, what you get at 5 or 6 metres is any bodies guess, not to mention the nail itself, will have diffraction and try to produce Its own pattern as well. The experiment would need overhauling before it is seen as a refutation of Maxwell's wave theory that seems to work well in the 5G network. It's generally a good idea to know something about the theory you are about to refute.

Wave theory although challenged many times still serves us well in the real world stealth industry communication industry. A. Zeilinger the eminent physicist of EPR fame claimed to get interference between buckyballs he made the same mistake, operated in the near field, I managed to co-author a paper in a peer-reviewed physics journal, to publish our critique of his work.

On the interference of Fullerenes and other Massive Particles

Sulcs, Gilbert, Osborne

Foundations of Physics, Vol 32, No. 8, August 2002

Cheers

Barry

Bookmark and Share

Author barry gilbert wrote on Apr. 30, 2020 @ 02:45 GMT
Sorry, Dr. Kadin, I got your name wrong.

Cheers

Barry

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Nikolaevich Fedorov wrote on May. 18, 2020 @ 12:42 GMT
Dear Barry,

I greatly appreciated your work and discussion. I am very glad that you are not thinking in abstract patterns.

"This loop hole is for QM to attack, as I propose classic folk should be the noisy aggressors, instead of humble self deprecating defenders".

While the discussion lasted, I wrote an article: “Practical guidance on calculating resonant frequencies at four levels of diagnosis and inactivation of COVID-19 coronavirus”, due to the high relevance of this topic. The work is based on the practical solution of problems in quantum mechanics, presented in the essay FQXi 2019-2020 “Universal quantum laws of the universe to solve the problems of unsolvability, computability and unpredictability”.

I hope that my modest results of work will provide you with information for thought.

Warm Regards, `

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Eric Stanley Reiter wrote on Sep. 6, 2020 @ 19:01 GMT
Hello Barry. There is so much confusion in these discussions that I need to start from basics. I am talking to the community, not just you Barry. Wikipedia has the graph mislabeled. In this case, QM agrees with Malus and classical waves. The triangle wave is a prediction of Bell's theorem, and billiard balls. Evidently, the assumptions behind Bell's theorem were too much like classical...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.