Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

austin fearnley: on 5/15/20 at 11:03am UTC, wrote I added this comment at https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3550 which...

sherman jenkins: on 5/14/20 at 21:49pm UTC, wrote Austin: A new era dawns.  Old questions become quaint and historical. ...

austin fearnley: on 5/4/20 at 22:58pm UTC, wrote Terry Thank you for your kind comments on my essay. You mentioned:...

Terry Bollinger: on 5/2/20 at 15:22pm UTC, wrote Austin, I think your analysis is both interesting and solid. What I found...

austin fearnley: on 5/2/20 at 14:56pm UTC, wrote Some additional notes. Malus's Law has results as two intensities, adding...

austin fearnley: on 4/25/20 at 16:14pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr Gupta Thank you for your generous comments. I agree that my...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 4/25/20 at 10:04am UTC, wrote Dear Your nice essay is telling that time travel into past is impossible...

austin fearnley: on 4/23/20 at 12:11pm UTC, wrote Essay Abstract This paper shows a backwards-in-time solution to...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Lorraine Ford: "(continued) 2. Physics has assumed that bottom-up causation IS top-down..." in The Present State of...

Lorraine Ford: "1. Physics can’t tell you why the world ever moves, i.e. physics assumes..." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "Max? Why?" in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Steve Agnew: "Mueller opens his essay with... "As the argument goes, there are truths..." in Undecidability,...

Dr Narayan Bhadra: "All the Honourable Scientists are cordially requested to feedback that we..." in Undecidability,...

Georgina Woodward: "The mass of the lion entity is not divided between different areas of high..." in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Jim Snowdon: "Since evolving on our rapidly rotating planet, we have used it`s rotational..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

Steve Dufourny: "a general universal clock of evolution irreversible correlated for me with..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Quantum Clock-Maker Investigating COVID-19, Causality, and the Trouble with AI
Sally Shrapnel, a quantum physicist and medical practitioner, on her experiments into cause-and-effect that could help us understand time’s arrow—and build better healthcare algorithms.

Connect the Quantum Dots for a New Kind of Fuel
'Artificial atoms' allow physicists to manipulate individual electrons—and could help to reduce energy wastage in electronic devices.

Can Choices Curve Spacetime?
Two teams are developing ways to detect quantum-gravitational effects in the lab.

The Quantum Engine That Simultaneously Heats and Cools
Tiny device could help boost quantum electronics.

The Quantum Refrigerator
A tiny cooling device could help rewrite the thermodynamic rule book for quantum machines.

FQXi FORUM
September 19, 2021

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: Malus Law with local hidden variables, and a backwards-in-time solution for Bell’s Theorem by austin james fearnley [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author austin fearnley wrote on Apr. 23, 2020 @ 12:11 GMT
Essay Abstract

This paper shows a backwards-in-time solution to Bell’s Theorem. This solution assumes that antiparticles actually do travel backwards in time and therefore the experiment begins not at the usual source of particle pairs but at (say) Alice’s measurement of a positron and ends at Bob’s measurement of the electron. A second assumption is that the distribution of hidden variables in a polarised beam can be inferred using Malus Law. Once that is assumed, the simple calculations used in Malus Law complete the proof. If Alice measures the positrons then the electrons travelling to Bob are polarised either along Alice’s vector a or along –a. So Bob’s apparatus is acting like a Malus filter taking a polarised beam as input. However, although this arrangement satisfies the result of a Bell experiment having a correlation between Alice’s and Bob’s measurements of -cos θ, and uses the local hidden variables of particles, it is impossible to simulate the experiment using individualised local hidden variables. This is because of a disconnect in knowledge about the hidden variable vector of an individual particle after a measurement by a Stern - Gerlach detector apparatus or a filter. The polarisation state, if any, of the incoming beam of positrons is unknown. After measurement by Alice they are polarised along vector a, and after measurement by Bob the electrons are polarised along vector b. But the correlation is between the unknown hidden variables before Alice makes the measurement and the polarised beam measured by Bob. It is impossible to follow an individual hidden vector through these measurements even in a simulation.

Author Bio

Retired researcher into school examinations with a UK examining board. My B.Sc. degree is in mathematics and statistics.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Apr. 25, 2020 @ 10:04 GMT
Dear

Your nice essay is telling that time travel into past is impossible even to simulate, well said that.

For support your words............ In conclusion, the results of a time-reversed Bell experiment is explainable without the complication of entanglement. The explanation cannot be simulated using individualised local hidden variables but can be explainable using a probabilistic treatment of local hidden variables......... and ........It is impossible to follow an individual hidden vector through these measurements even in a simulation.......

You analised correctly!!

In Dynamic Universe Model also , there is no traveling back in time!!

Hope you can spend a little time on my essay "A properly deciding, Computing and Predicting new theory’s Philosophy" and give your valuable comments

Best Regards

=snp

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate
Author austin fearnley replied on Apr. 25, 2020 @ 16:14 GMT
Dear Mr Gupta

Thank you for your generous comments.

I agree that my conclusion for the reverse-time Bell experiment is not good for showing the existence of local hidden variables, even with time reversed for antiparticles. But the use of local hidden variables to explain the normal Bell experiment result is also not apparent under the QM explanation. However, my essay suggests...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author austin fearnley wrote on May. 2, 2020 @ 14:56 GMT
Some additional notes.

Malus's Law has results as two intensities, adding to 100%, and so having only one degree of freedom. Photons passing through a filter (at any set angle) and those which do not pass. So the results fit into a 2x1 table. If we repeat that experiment, at the same set angle, then the second set of results also forms an (ideally) identical 2x1 table. There are no...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Terry Bollinger wrote on May. 2, 2020 @ 15:22 GMT
Austin,

I think your analysis is both interesting and solid. What I found most interesting about it is that you used starting points that are very different from the ones taught in physics classes on these issues, yet came to conclusions that are not much different from some much more complicated analyses of similar issues. I think your use of antiparticles going backward in time to explain...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author austin fearnley wrote on May. 4, 2020 @ 22:58 GMT
Terry

Thank you for your kind comments on my essay.

You mentioned: "reminiscent both of what Wheeler and Feynman did in their pre-QED advanced-retarded photon work". I have long had a copy, in book form, of Feynman's thesis so I am aware of advanced and retarded waves in time. You also mentioned on your essay website page that John Cramer's TIQM may be relevant in a similar way. ...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

sherman loran jenkins wrote on May. 14, 2020 @ 21:49 GMT
Austin:

A new era dawns.  Old questions become quaint and historical.  Is the whole community ready?  Or is physical reality too dangerous for our collective understanding at this time? 

Bookmark and Share

Author austin fearnley wrote on May. 15, 2020 @ 11:03 GMT
I added this comment at https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3550

which is the page of Gyongyi Bokor

Some of your ideas have resonance with my essay in which antimatter is suggested to travel backwards in time. In my essay I bypass Bell's Theorem by the use of antimatter travelling backwards in time. Bell's Theorem is absolutely correct of course in normal circumstances. By normal...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.