Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Rick Searle: on 5/16/20 at 0:53am UTC, wrote That was a great piece Gabriele! It managed to be engaging, thought...

Gabriele Carcassi: on 4/25/20 at 7:46am UTC, wrote Dear Mozibur, Thanks for the feedback and encouragement! And I am glad to...

Gabriele Carcassi: on 4/25/20 at 7:39am UTC, wrote >I hope that mathematicians, physicists, poets >and musicians will...

Mozibur Ullah: on 4/25/20 at 6:07am UTC, wrote Dear Gabrielle, I liked the use of a dialogue format - it makes the issues...

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 4/24/20 at 18:46pm UTC, wrote Thanks a lot, Gabriele! I wish you success in your research and contest. I...

Gabriele Carcassi: on 4/24/20 at 6:48am UTC, wrote Dear Vladimir, A coordinate system assigns labels (in the form of numbers)...

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 4/23/20 at 18:13pm UTC, wrote Dear Gabriele, Thanks so much for the quick reply and reading my essay. I,...

Gabriele Carcassi: on 4/23/20 at 12:25pm UTC, wrote Dear Vladimir, Thanks! Given that I have attended philosophy of science...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Lorraine Ford: "So, in reply to the posts by Stefan Weckbach and Steve Dufourny above,..." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "If considering existence rather than appearances, the time dimension..." in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Georgina Woodward: "That is about the 'anatomy"" of spacetime." in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Lorraine Ford: "So what exactly is WRONG with physics, apart from the fact that physics..." in The Present State of...

Steve Dufourny: "Hello Jim, yes indeed in a sense we have these motions and we have invented..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

Jim Snowdon: "Hi Steve, Clearly we have motion in our Universe. It is not..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

Georgina Woodward: "Thank you. Good luck." in The Nature of Time

Lorraine Ford: "Rob, As you have not replied, I take it that you now concede that the..." in 16th Marcel Grossmann...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Quantum Clock-Maker Investigating COVID-19, Causality, and the Trouble with AI
Sally Shrapnel, a quantum physicist and medical practitioner, on her experiments into cause-and-effect that could help us understand time’s arrow—and build better healthcare algorithms.

Connect the Quantum Dots for a New Kind of Fuel
'Artificial atoms' allow physicists to manipulate individual electrons—and could help to reduce energy wastage in electronic devices.

Can Choices Curve Spacetime?
Two teams are developing ways to detect quantum-gravitational effects in the lab.

The Quantum Engine That Simultaneously Heats and Cools
Tiny device could help boost quantum electronics.

The Quantum Refrigerator
A tiny cooling device could help rewrite the thermodynamic rule book for quantum machines.

FQXi FORUM
September 17, 2021

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: A dialogue concerning undecidability, uncomputability and unpredictability by Gabriele Carcassi [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Gabriele Carcassi wrote on Apr. 18, 2020 @ 12:03 GMT
Essay Abstract

At a physics conference break, a group of three participants discuss the impact on physical theories of Turing's halting problem, the uncertainty coming from chaos and quantum theories and Godel's incompleteness theorems. They try to differentiate between limitations of formal systems and limitations of what is accessible through experimentation, the latter of which, one of them argues, should be taken as foundational starting points in physics.

Author Bio

Gabriele Carcassi is a researcher in the Physics Department of the University of Michigan. There, with Prof. Christine Aidala, he leads a project on the foundations of physics called "Assumptions of Physics", his main research interest. He also has been working on numerous technical projects in support of the High Energy Physics community, including accelerator controls, data management and Grid/Cloud software infrastructure.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Apr. 19, 2020 @ 07:29 GMT
Dear Gabriele Carcassi,

Wonderful simple essay as a dialogue form !!, Uncomputability is not only just non-terminating infinite loop of calculations, but also those physical situations where it is not possible to fit a mathematical function to some physical happenings, what do you say?

Some of your beautiful dialogues.........

B: I understand now. You can separate what is physically relevant from athematical junk.

C: That’s a rather harsh term… Time and time again, what was seen as mathematical junk turned out to be useful to physics later

B: And a lot of it didn't ..............

..... is extremely correct, Physicists are searching for mathematical singularities in Physical universe!!!

In my essay "A properly deciding, Computing and Predicting new theory’s Philosophy" I discussed much similar concepts in a different way....

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate
Author Gabriele Carcassi replied on Apr. 20, 2020 @ 13:01 GMT
Thanks for the kind words.

>also those physical situations where it is not possible to fit

>a mathematical function to some physical happenings, what do you say?

I am not sure I understand... maybe an example?

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Apr. 21, 2020 @ 06:36 GMT
Dear Gabriele Carcassi,

Thank you for your reply. For example there is a Mass and it is under gravitation. For Gravitation of that body we made a mathematical equation. That equation is complex and explains Gravity well. But that mathematical equation has some undefined points where some infinite values are coming.

Does that mean we should search for such infinite vales in physical world or try to change mathematical portions?

Is that what you said in your Dialogue is it not? I also discussed some thing similar in my essay.

I request you to have a look at it

Best

=snp

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Apr. 22, 2020 @ 18:03 GMT
Dear Gabriele,

A very interesting, exciting Dialogue ... Is this a crisis of understanding in the basis of "fundamental knowledge"? ... Your opinion: what to do with the Big Bang hypothesis? I believe Carlo Rovelli is right: Physics Needs Philosophy / Philosophy Needs Physics ... Do you agree with the conclusions of Carlo Rovelli?

Sincerely, Vladimir

Bookmark and Share
Author Gabriele Carcassi replied on Apr. 23, 2020 @ 12:25 GMT
Dear Vladimir,

Thanks! Given that I have attended philosophy of science conferences and that I am starting to contribute to the philosophy literature, it seems I do think some philosophical aspects are indeed useful.

But I am not a philosopher myself, so most of the things you talk about in your essay, for example, are things I do not have enough background for. Also, there are many questions in philosophy that I am not personally interested. For example, "what is space?" and other similar ontological questions I do not find interesting.

The question I am interested is "how do we, in practice, construct a coordinate system?". This is both a philosophical question, as it delves into epistemological issues, but it is also very practical engineering/physics questions, as it delves into the practical aspects of setting up an experimental device, calibrate it, etc...

Gabriele

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin replied on Apr. 23, 2020 @ 18:13 GMT
Dear Gabriele,

Thanks so much for the quick reply and reading my essay. I, too, am not a philosopher, but an engineer, but life made me back in 1990 to begin to answer the most extreme questions of being and knowledge. Moreover, when science imposes on society a philosophically naive model of the "beginning" of the Universe, and knowledge in general, and especially mathematics, does not have an ontological basis ... Especially in modern conditions, when existential threats and risks for Mankind are constantly increasing.

You write: "The question I am interested is" how do we, in practice, construct a coordinate system? ""

This question also interests me.

I have three questions:

What is the coordinate system in the heads of birds that fly in the north in spring, home to their homeland, and in the south to fall?

How could a coordinate system arise as a result of the "Big Bang"?

Is there an absolute (natural) coordinate system in Nature? How to construct it?

Sincerely, Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Author Gabriele Carcassi replied on Apr. 24, 2020 @ 06:48 GMT
Dear Vladimir,

A coordinate system assigns labels (in the form of numbers) to objects to quantify their spatial position. Nature does not do this. We do it. The principle of relativity is a consequence of that: since nature does not assign numbers to objects, the laws we write down based on those numbers should not care of that assignment is done. Therefore, the laws should be independent of the choice of coordinate system.

Birds do not do that either. Though they will use a system of references to know where they are with respect to different objects. A system of references is what I use to approach the problem of defining a coordinate system. The idea is that, if you assume you have enough references that can be arranged in a particular way, you can construct a continuous scale. At a technical level, it meas writing down a few formal definitions and run the math to see you can derive the appropriate structures.

The fact that mathematics captures only abstract formal relationship does not bother me. What I like to do is have the physics justify those formal relationships in mathematical starting points (i.e. axioms and definitions) and then use it to make conclusion.

So, that's more or less how I approach the question "how do we, in practice, construct a coordinate system?" and the type of problems I work on.

Gabriele

Bookmark and Share

Mozibur Rahman Ullah wrote on Apr. 25, 2020 @ 06:07 GMT
Dear Gabrielle,

I liked the use of a dialogue format - it makes the issues come alive more. I especially liked:

shrugs, silence.

and

Newton’s second law and Ohm’s law have, formally, the same structure. The math itself is not enough to characterize the physics.

I very much agree with that. Physics is so much more than mathematics, though of course, the mathematics helps a great deal.

I wish you all the best with the contest.

Warm wishes

Mozibur Ullah

Bookmark and Share
Author Gabriele Carcassi replied on Apr. 25, 2020 @ 07:46 GMT
Dear Mozibur,

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement! And I am glad to see the dialogue format achieved the desired effect!

>Physics is so much more than mathematics, though of course,

>the mathematics helps a great deal.

Indeed! To me, the math captures the part and only the part of physics that can be formally characterized. Which I feel is a small part.

Gabriele

Bookmark and Share

Member Rick Searle wrote on May. 16, 2020 @ 00:53 GMT
That was a great piece Gabriele!

It managed to be engaging, thought provoking, and funny at the same time.

The line "Pardon my math..." made me laugh out loud.

Seeing the Halting Problem in terms of experimental verification, or scientific verification as analogous to Incompleteness was new and eye opening for me.

Thanks for your dialogue- and best of luck in the contest!

Rick Searle

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.