Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Héctor Gianni: on 5/27/20 at 0:14am UTC, wrote Dear H.H.J. Luediger: I think you're...

Héctor Gianni: on 5/26/20 at 23:05pm UTC, wrote Dear Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta: I'm sorry, mine is not a...

Héctor Gianni: on 5/26/20 at 22:30pm UTC, wrote Dear Pavel Vadimovich Poluian: ...

Héctor Gianni: on 5/22/20 at 22:16pm UTC, wrote Dear Sherman Ioran Jenkins: I am really don’t know if we are beginning...

Pavel Poluian: on 5/18/20 at 20:52pm UTC, wrote Dear Doc! ))) Thank you for your interest in the philosophy of the times....

sherman jenkins: on 5/15/20 at 6:32am UTC, wrote Hector: A new era dawns.  Old questions become quaint and historical. ...

Héctor Gianni: on 4/12/20 at 23:45pm UTC, wrote Dear Edwin Klingman I'm glad you liked my essay. You say: ...

Edwin Klingman: on 4/6/20 at 18:02pm UTC, wrote Dear Hector Daniel Gianni, I enjoyed your essay very much and fully agree...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

jim hughes: "I'm not a mathematician. So what I see here is some smart people who..." in Consciousness and the...

Steve Dufourny: "Hello FQXi, the members and all, I try to do my best to unite and convice..." in Global Collaboration

Lorraine Ford: "The idea of a smooth mathematical evolution of “the wave function”, and..." in Consciousness and the...

Georgina Woodward: "Broken machine: What do[es] I see next? The I that was, E.I, has not been..." in The Room in the Elephant:...

Lorraine Ford: "Hi Stefan, I hope that a good leader, and a good political party, is..." in The Present State of...

Lorraine Ford: "We live in an age of computing. But physics, mathematics and philosophy,..." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "I've copied the comment to the thread where it belongs. This orphan can be..." in The Room in the Elephant:...

Georgina Woodward: "Thank you John. What did you think about the questioning whether altitude..." in The Nature of Time

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Good Vibrations
Microbead 'motor' exploits natural fluctuations for power.

Reconstructing Physics
New photon experiment gives new meta-framework, 'constructor theory,' a boost.

The Quantum Engineer: Q&A with Alexia Auffèves
Experiments seek to use quantum observations as fuel to power mini motors.

The Quantum Clock-Maker Investigating COVID-19, Causality, and the Trouble with AI
Sally Shrapnel, a quantum physicist and medical practitioner, on her experiments into cause-and-effect that could help us understand time’s arrow—and build better healthcare algorithms.

Connect the Quantum Dots for a New Kind of Fuel
'Artificial atoms' allow physicists to manipulate individual electrons—and could help to reduce energy wastage in electronic devices.

FQXi FORUM
September 28, 2021

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: No knowing Time definition and experimental meaning, Force physicists to theories creation, that make Physics Undecidable, Incomputable and Unpredictable. by Héctor Daniel Gianni [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Héctor Daniel Gianni wrote on Apr. 5, 2020 @ 23:03 GMT
Essay Abstract

No knowing Time definition and experimental meaning, Force physicists to theories creation, that make Physics Undecidable, Incomputable and Unpredictable. We know the definition and experimental meaning of time for more than 50 years, 24 hours, after I found it I thought it would be useless, the world just needed to measure it. For 20 years I followed my studies and profession, when I knew the need of physics to know the nature of Time, being Lego in Physics and Mathematics and without knowing its terminology, for 33 years I try in vain to penetrate, the wall that separates our two professions to be able to introduce the new knowledge of Time nature for you all. Not knowing the experimental definition and meaning of Time, which is "movement," forced physics to create theories that made it Undecidable, Incomputable and Unpredictable. physicists, are in the midst of a great confusion, which was graced with the help of Philosophers. I think this confusion began, when physicists by ignoring something “fundamental” to the development of physics, such as the experimental meaning of Time. They were also hindered by the clear understanding of the meaning Einstein gave to space-time, by noting the meaning of the latter. he the first who applied the construction in general relativity, which both in the “construction” and in the effect of speed and gravity about Time in the General relativity. “He” considered and treated this one as if it were "movement." Physicists lack, also diverted them from the path of gravity of general relativity, the only real and "predictable", both for planets and subatomic particles. The failure to possess Time experimental meaning, lead them to create various theories of quantum gravity, with a different description of space-time in each of them. Hëctor Daniel Gianni

Author Bio

Author-Bio University of Buenos Aires, degree MD. MN. Nº 32.803, 1967. ECFMG Candidate number 097729 approved 78 % Jan/22/1968 Surgical Intern The Queen’s Medical Center, Honolulu Hawaii 1968-1969 Psychiatry Residency Metropolitan State Hospital, Waltham Mass.19691970-1971-1972 Advanced Study in Psychotherapy at Harvard Medical School, Mass.19711972. I taught Clinical psychiatry at Tufts Medical School, Boston Mass. 1971-1972 Staff psychiatrist Florida State Hospital, 1972-1975. Research: “The Institute of Medical research, Dr Alfredo Lanari” University of Buenos Aires, field: nervous transmissions. 1979-1983. Private practice: Psychoterapist

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Apr. 6, 2020 @ 09:29 GMT
Dear Dr Héctor Daniel Gianni,

Your essay on Time and its concept are very good. Your words...... Einstein said "Since mathematicians have invaded my theory of relativity, I don't understand it myself," so not always mathematics clarified concepts.............was exactly correct. There so many similarities with my essay,....

"A properly deciding, Computing and Predicting new theory’s Philosophy"

Hope you will find those similarities in concepts...

Best wishes to your essay

=snp

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

H.H.J. Luediger wrote on Apr. 6, 2020 @ 10:21 GMT
Dear Héctor,

I appreciated very much your down-to-earth view of 'time'. It is true that the 'time' systems of our forebears (e.g. the neheh-djet time system of the ancient Egyptians, the ancient Greeks' discrimination of chronos and kairos or the quasi-relativistic time system of the Hopi) give us much deeper insight into the nature=use of 'time' than any physics textbook.

Plato remarked about kairos (knowledge-based action or 'motion'): ..."in it and from it the moved transitions to rest, and the resting to motion". So, our clocks (of whatever kind) display literally time-less knowledge - not motion let alone time itself. Chronos, on the other hand, denotes historical and hence contingent 'time' or simply the openness of the future.

best,

Heinz

Bookmark and Share

David Brown wrote on Apr. 6, 2020 @ 11:04 GMT
For anyone who might be interested, I used "Google Scholar" to compile a brief bibliography of articles by Peter Lynds.

Lynds, Peter. "Time and classical and quantum mechanics: Indeterminacy versus discontinuity." Foundations of Physics Letters 16, no. 4 (2003): 343-355.

Lynds, P. (2003). Zeno's paradoxes: a timely solution.

Lynds, P. (2003). Subjective perception of time and a progressive present moment: the neurobiological key to unlocking consciousness.

Lynds, P. Denying the existence of instants of time and the instantaneous.

Lynds, P. (2012). Why there is something rather than nothing: The finite, infinite and eternal. arXiv preprint arXiv:1205.2720.

My guess is that anyone who wants to understand the foundations of physics should realize that Milgrom is the Kepler of contemporary cosmology. Google "witten milgrom".

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Apr. 6, 2020 @ 18:02 GMT
Dear Hector Daniel Gianni,

I enjoyed your essay very much and fully agree with your conclusion that:

what slows is not time but the clocks,”

Although that is usually the way it is stated in special relativity (“moving clocks run slower”), that is not the conception forced on us by Einstein, who built multiple time dimensions into relativity by his definition of ‘inertial reference frame’, and his formulation of every special relativity problem in terms of two or more reference frames. I’ve reached the same conclusion, and have submitted a paper that calculates the value of ‘gamma’, the inertial factor, in exact agreement with the gamma of relativity, but based on different ontology.

It’s hard to argue that time ‘exists’ as a physical entity with one dimension, but it’s an extremely useful concept. I agree that movement is key, but it is moreover cyclical movement, and the measurements in most cases involves counting cycles of motion.

I have a related essay in the contest that you may find interesting:

Deciding on the nature of time and space.

I invite you to read it and welcome any comments you might have.

Good luck in the contest and thanks for participating.

Edwin Eugene Klingman

Bookmark and Share
Author Héctor Daniel Gianni replied on Apr. 12, 2020 @ 23:45 GMT
Dear Edwin Klingman

I'm glad you liked my essay. You say:

“It’s hard to argue that time ‘exists’ as a physical entity with one dimension, but it’s an extremely useful concept.”

We agree that "the so-called time" was and is and will remain an extremely useful

concept, and that it is hard to argue that it has a physical...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

sherman loran jenkins wrote on May. 15, 2020 @ 06:32 GMT
Hector:

A new era dawns.  Old questions become quaint and historical.  Is the whole community ready?  Or is physical reality too dangerous for our collective understanding at this time? 

Bookmark and Share

Pavel Vadimovich Poluian wrote on May. 18, 2020 @ 20:52 GMT
Dear Doc! )))

Thank you for your interest in the philosophy of the times. This is a difficult question.

In modern nature study the geometrical interpretation of time prevails. In the twentieth century the philosophers of science, for example McTaggart (1908) and up to Julian Barbour (1999), the duration of the time refered to the sphere of subjectivity . The objectivity is a property...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Héctor Daniel Gianni wrote on May. 22, 2020 @ 22:16 GMT
Dear Sherman Ioran Jenkins:

I am really don’t know if we are beginning or not a new era. I think mankind didn’t find time definition an its empiric meaning before, just because for thousands of years it was just a curiosity inquiry and there wasn’t a true need for it, like the one that started sixty years ago for theoretical physics. Humanity isn't really interested in the empirical meaning of time, just a little curious about it, people are only interested in measuring time and a little bit about the accuracy of it. I don't see any danger in this for people in general or for science, just benefits.

Thank you for reading my essay

Héctor

Bookmark and Share

Author Héctor Daniel Gianni wrote on May. 26, 2020 @ 22:30 GMT
Dear Pavel Vadimovich Poluian:

I know that "so-called time" is constant and uniform movement, I know that Time is a measurement system created by prehistoric man probably between 20 and 30 thousand years ago. Time as a system that is, has no physical existence. From everything I've said, I'm not interested in the mystery of time, but in transferring the definition and experimental meaning of time to theoretical physicists who are practically the only ones who need it. I'm sorry I don't comment on most of your post, but I don't know anything about computing and less I know its terminology. Philosophers have helped complicate the problem of time created by physicists.

Thank you for reading my essay.

Héctor

Bookmark and Share

Author Héctor Daniel Gianni wrote on May. 26, 2020 @ 23:05 GMT
Dear Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta:

I'm sorry, mine is not a theory but a discovery I made 50 years ago. Aim just trying to transfer this knowledge to theoretical physicists, because they need it.

Thank you for reading my essay.

Héctor

Bookmark and Share

Author Héctor Daniel Gianni wrote on May. 27, 2020 @ 00:14 GMT
Dear H.H.J. Luediger:

I think you're right that one of the insoluble problems for physicists "the problem of time" can be traced back to a common source, the category of error or mistake when from the name that acquired "Time" as a system of measuring changes and transformations was over millennia transferred from the name of the measurement system to what the system measured , "the so-called time", a question, passing as you said from a system to give answers to a scientific question, the current problem of time, which is solved in my essay. Thank you for reading my essay

Hector

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.