Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 5/3/20 at 8:49am UTC, wrote Thanks a lot Stephen! I really like your philosophical and scientific...

Stephen Jarvis: on 4/22/20 at 20:33pm UTC, wrote Vladimir, thank you for spending the time to look at my work. Do have work...

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 4/22/20 at 11:36am UTC, wrote Dear Stephen, I read with great interest your critical analytical essay...

Stephen Jarvis: on 4/11/20 at 9:30am UTC, wrote Thanks David for your input.

Stephen Jarvis: on 4/11/20 at 9:27am UTC, wrote Thank you John for your comments. To address your question and to provide...

John Crowell: on 4/9/20 at 14:26pm UTC, wrote Stephen You present an interesting perspective on a pan-theory. In my...

David Brown: on 4/3/20 at 21:24pm UTC, wrote "The Monopole Problem ... the enormous energies that would have been...

Stephen Jarvis: on 4/3/20 at 14:41pm UTC, wrote Essay Abstract Addressed here are the features of physics and...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

jim hughes: "I'm not a mathematician. So what I see here is some smart people who..." in Consciousness and the...

Steve Dufourny: "Hello FQXi, the members and all, I try to do my best to unite and convice..." in Global Collaboration

Lorraine Ford: "The idea of a smooth mathematical evolution of “the wave function”, and..." in Consciousness and the...

Georgina Woodward: "Broken machine: What do[es] I see next? The I that was, E.I, has not been..." in The Room in the Elephant:...

Lorraine Ford: "Hi Stefan, I hope that a good leader, and a good political party, is..." in The Present State of...

Lorraine Ford: "We live in an age of computing. But physics, mathematics and philosophy,..." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "I've copied the comment to the thread where it belongs. This orphan can be..." in The Room in the Elephant:...

Georgina Woodward: "Thank you John. What did you think about the questioning whether altitude..." in The Nature of Time

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Good Vibrations
Microbead 'motor' exploits natural fluctuations for power.

Reconstructing Physics
New photon experiment gives new meta-framework, 'constructor theory,' a boost.

The Quantum Engineer: Q&A with Alexia Auffèves
Experiments seek to use quantum observations as fuel to power mini motors.

The Quantum Clock-Maker Investigating COVID-19, Causality, and the Trouble with AI
Sally Shrapnel, a quantum physicist and medical practitioner, on her experiments into cause-and-effect that could help us understand time’s arrow—and build better healthcare algorithms.

Connect the Quantum Dots for a New Kind of Fuel
'Artificial atoms' allow physicists to manipulate individual electrons—and could help to reduce energy wastage in electronic devices.

FQXi FORUM
September 28, 2021

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: Resolving the Unknown Universe by Stephen Harold Jarvis [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Stephen Jarvis wrote on Apr. 3, 2020 @ 14:41 GMT
Essay Abstract

Addressed here are the features of physics and cosmology theory that represent core outcomes central to undecidability, uncomputability, and unpredictability, namely the absence of measurable data associated to cosmological and physics theory. The central aim of this essay is addressing and resolving the “absence of data” in physics and cosmology theory despite physics and cosmology theory warranting the data to be there, “somewhere”. This process is undertaken through investigating each of the key problems in physics and cosmology theory leading to such incursions of theory and associated absence of data. More specifically, this essay addresses the basic theoretical problem in physics and cosmology that has landed on 7 key data-beaches: dark matter, dark energy, the Horizon problem, the Flatness Problem, the Monopole Problem, the Hubble Constant Problem, and the Cosmological Constant problem. Such data-incursions will be brought to bear on one common underlying ingredient, namely the idea of mass as inertia. A proposed solution is forwarded to this underlying incursion of theory, dealing out all “hoped for” physical data and replacing it with a theory that stays within the “known” universe and associated data, presenting a list of key axiom requirements for the establishment of a true data-valid pan-theory of physics and cosmology.

Author Bio

Stephen Jarvis, Founder and Director of Equus Space (www.equusspace.com), whose professional background is in Medicine/Surgery (University of Sydney Faculty of Medicine), is the author of 17 papers (http://orcid.org/0000-0003-3869-7694) central to a new approach to both physics and cosmology theory, employing the use of a new mathematical algorithm that adds more granularity to the measurement of time and associated nature of space, directly solving the current problems in physics and cosmology theory, while also arriving at a more substantiated and practical set of predictions for space research and exploration.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

David Brown wrote on Apr. 3, 2020 @ 21:24 GMT
"The Monopole Problem ... the enormous energies that would have been produced by the Big Bang should have created a magnetic particle as a monopole, not a dipole, a unique entity, and yet there is no evidence for it." I have suggested that string theory with the infinite nature hypothesis implies supersymmetry and the Big Bang, while string theory with the finite nature hypothesis implies that supersymmetry does not occur and the Big Bang needs to be replaced by Wolfram’s Reset. What empirical evidence refutes the following?

The Seven Sagacities of String Theory with the Finite Nature Hypothesis: (1) There is a profound synergy between string theory with the infinite nature hypothesis and string theory with the finite nature hypothesis. (2) Milgrom is the Kepler of contemporary cosmology — on the basis of overwhelming empirical evidence (implying dark-matter-compensation-constant = (3.9±.5) * 10^–5). (3) The Koide formula is essential for understanding the foundations of physics. (4) Lestone's theory of virtual cross sections is essential for understanding the foundations of physics. (5) The idea of Fernández-Rañada and Tiemblo-Ramos that atomic time is different from astronomical time is correct. (6) There is genius in the ideas of Riofrio, Sanejouand, and Pipino concerning the hypothesis that the speed of light in a perfect vacuum steadily decreases as our universe ages. (7) Quantum information reduces to Fredkin-Wolfram information, which is controlled by Wolfram's cosmological automaton in a mathematical structure isomorphic to a 72-dimensional, holographic, digital computer.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate
Author Stephen Jarvis replied on Apr. 11, 2020 @ 09:30 GMT
Thanks David for your input.

Bookmark and Share

John David Crowell wrote on Apr. 9, 2020 @ 14:26 GMT
Stephen You present an interesting perspective on a pan-theory. In my essay I introduce a pan-theory that is very different, additive to current theories with measured results and allows physics/cosmology to “keep” all of the the work that provide accurate measurements of the universe and its physical contents. As I state in my revised essay “This (theory) allows the different disciplines to use what works for them and incorporate the new more fundamental SSC paradigm in problem areas and when they need to connect/unify/work with other disciplines. This is like physics adding Einstein’s relativity theories while keeping and using classical physics when it works (and is easier to calculate).” I would appreciate your comments on my essay. John Crowell

Bookmark and Share
Author Stephen Jarvis replied on Apr. 11, 2020 @ 09:27 GMT
Thank you John for your comments. To address your question and to provide an overview of your essay, I had two papers on my short list for the competition, both quite different in that one presented what the case for Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability is, how that exists in physics and cosmology, and the other as the solution to the problem of Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability; two possible essays, one half-empty, the other half-full so to speak. I went with the half-empty, the one posted, as I thought it more important to address the actual issue of the Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability of physics and cosmology than to simply replace it. To address your comments therefore, if I may add the link to how I would judge what is the “solution” to the Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability issue, as most of the papers presented in this competition address what is considered as a solution to the Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability while not focusing on the actual core problem itself of Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability in physics and cosmology, and what that means. The link is as follows:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/340574420_Scientifi
c_Principles_of_Space_Time_and_Perception

This alternative paper is shorter than the one posted here, yet it addresses how I would comment on your paper, and other papers that present a pan-theory approach, as it presents the required core logic to a pan-theory of “any” type.

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Apr. 22, 2020 @ 11:36 GMT
Dear Stephen,

I read with great interest your critical analytical essay with a deep analysis of the situation in the basis of modern science and your original ideas. Question: Do you support this An Open Letter?

Sincerely, Vladimir

Bookmark and Share
Author Stephen Jarvis replied on Apr. 22, 2020 @ 20:33 GMT
Vladimir, thank you for spending the time to look at my work. Do have work of your own?

To answer you question though, the petition is a noble cause yet it falls flat I think, it has zero effect without the proper proposal. The problem is that its just as useless as the big bang theory itsef if it offers no conclusive theory and associated proof as to why the big bang is pure philosophy.

My suggestion is that a new petition should be signed questioning why in fact the stars are assumed to be solar systems in the first place, or why indeed “inertia” as a concept can explain the ideas of space and time as though mass as inertia is more fundamental an idea than space and time? Philosophers believed in a thing called “first matter”, and physics is still doing the same with inertia as mass-gravity in its theories, trying to explain the more fundamental concepts of space and time with “inertia”, which is quite ludicrous. The Big Bang is a secondary ludicrous story compared to inertia.

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin replied on May. 3, 2020 @ 08:49 GMT
Thanks a lot Stephen! I really like your philosophical and scientific views, deep ideas aimed at overcoming the crisis in the conceptual-paradigmatic basis of fundamental science. I wish you success in your research and new ideas. See also my ideas of the universal ontology.

With kind regards,

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.