Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discuss

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Martin Staveren: on 3/29/20 at 19:08pm UTC, wrote This is a copy of Paul Butler’s comment to Martin van Staveren on Mar....

Martin Staveren: on 3/29/20 at 9:56am UTC, wrote Dear Paul, I can be reached at mvanstaveren@planet.nl

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 3/29/20 at 9:30am UTC, wrote Respected Prof Martin van Staveren, The following message was sent to me...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 3/26/20 at 11:48am UTC, wrote Respected Prof Butler This is in continuation to my above post Thank you...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 3/26/20 at 11:34am UTC, wrote This is in reply to your post Dated Mar. 24, 2020 @ 21:26 GMT ...

Martin Staveren: on 3/25/20 at 7:05am UTC, wrote Anything that is possible with hydrogen gas should be done, although...

Paul Butler: on 3/24/20 at 23:14pm UTC, wrote The machine had logged me out before I sent the previous comment, so it...

Anonymous: on 3/24/20 at 22:49pm UTC, wrote Dear Martin, I have seen estimates that it would take coverage of about...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Lorraine Ford: "Information about carrots, peppers, tweeting birds and roaring lions does..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Lorraine Ford: "Carl, Instead of focusing on examples like carrots and peppers, we need to..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Lorraine Ford: "To many, consciousness doesn’t make sense: why isn’t the world a zombie..." in Consciousness in the...

Lorraine Ford: "The thing about consciousness, as opposed to laws of nature, is that..." in Consciousness in the...

Janko Kokosar: "I propose a simple addition for more honest voting. These steps can help..." in Undecidability,...

Satyavarapu Gupta: "What should be the Foundational basis of an Alternative cosmological theory..." in Alternative Models of...

Catalina Curceanu: "I would like to inform you that next week, starting 30th March, we shall..." in INSPYRE 2020 -- Please...

Jochen Szangolies: "Hi there, I'm not sure it's such a good idea to make current votes visible..." in Undecidability,...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Think Quantum to Build Better AI
Investigating how quantum memory storage could aid machine learning and how quantum interactions with the environment may have played a role in evolution.

Outside the Box
A proposed quantum set-up that could predict your game-playing strategy resurrects Newcomb’s classic quiz show paradox.

The Quantum Agent
Investigating how the quantum measurement process might be related to the emergence of intelligence, agency and free will.

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

FQXi FORUM
April 5, 2020

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: The Ultimate decidability, computability, and predictability of all things and processes. by Paul N Butler [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

This essay's rating: Community = 5.5; Public = N/A

Author Paul N Butler wrote on Mar. 15, 2020 @ 22:37 GMT
Essay Abstract

Man tends to look at things in ways that are not the most productive to continuing maximum scientific advancement. My point in this paper is that it is not possible for man at this point in the total range of his long term scientific development to be able to understand the end point of this range (What he will know at his maximum development level.) because he has not yet come to know the existence of and to understand many things and their relationships with each other, which makes him still blind in many areas. I try to point out some of man’s weaknesses and make some suggestions of needed changes, but paper length limitations allow only a brief overview of such things. I believe it can still be of some help and more may be able to be answered in comments.

Author Bio

The author has long been interested in understanding the fundamental structure of the universe. Part of that endeavor has been devoted to understanding Man and those things that hinder him from maximum scientific development.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Shawn Halayka wrote on Mar. 16, 2020 @ 15:46 GMT
Dear Paul,

Have you ever considered a gravitating body to be a process? How about a test particle in the presence of that process: the closer the particle gets, the more its process is interrupted by the gravitating body. The time slices reduce in frequency, and thus the process runs slower.

With love,

- Shawn

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Paul N Butler replied on Mar. 22, 2020 @ 00:23 GMT
Dear Shawn,

I looked at your paper and in it you express a desire to understand the density of dark matter. I presently concentrate on the structure of normal matter and once that is understood it is then possible to get an understanding of what is actually being detected and being interpreted as dark matter and how that works. That being said, gravity is a large scale field generated at...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Shawn Halayka replied on Mar. 22, 2020 @ 01:04 GMT
Hi Paul,

I beg to differ about our interpretations of time. Would you care to read another paper of mine?

https://vixra.org/abs/1812.0423

- Shawn

Bookmark and Share

Shawn Halayka replied on Mar. 22, 2020 @ 01:40 GMT
P.S. Are you familiar with the `light clock' thought experiment?

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Mar. 21, 2020 @ 07:51 GMT
Hello Dear Old Friend Professor Paul N Butler,

In your Bio you wrote wonderful words "those things that hinder him from maximum scientific development." Man should come over them. And I am also interested in understanding the fundamental structure of the Universe.

I discussed the similar things in some other words in my essay...where I just elaborated what should be the freedom available to an author when the “ real open thinking” is supported. Have a look at my essay please.

“A properly deciding, Computing and Predicting new theory’s Philosophy”

And again you are exactly correct in saying"Only through teaching love for one another."

Wow!!

=snp.gupta

Bookmark and Share

Author Paul N Butler replied on Mar. 22, 2020 @ 18:01 GMT
Dear Satyavarapu,

I am glad that you recognize some of the problems that currently exist in the scientific community. It is true that the necessary changes will only occur if people truly learn to love one another. I have found that there is only one way to acquire that kind of love and most don’t go where they can get it.

I read your paper and it did not seem to cover any new information from that which was in the paper we talked about earlier, but most of it seemed to be referring to various links, which I have not yet had time to check out. Have you seen any observational experiments yet that show frequency upshifting of photons that travel toward a massive object like a star and if so, does it check for down shifting as the photons travel away from the massive object? If I remember right it seems to me that the other question that I had was with the idea of no collisions between bodies, since we see collisions all the time around us. You can’t play billiards without the balls colliding with each other. On larger scales, pictures have been taken through telescopes of galaxies colliding, etc. It may be that I just need a more detailed understanding about that concept. How do you define that no collisions between bodies in your understanding? If you have found any new concepts that weren’t in your previous paper, what are they.

Have you ever noticed that wow is mom upside down?,

Paul

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Mar. 23, 2020 @ 04:18 GMT
Dear Prof Paul N Butler

…………………….. Your words………………….

I am glad that you recognize some of the problems that currently exist in the scientific community. It is true that the necessary changes will only occur if people truly learn to love one another. I have found that there is only one way to acquire that kind of love and most don’t go where...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Mar. 23, 2020 @ 05:35 GMT

Dear Prof Paul N Butler

…………….. Your words…………………. Have you seen any observational experiments yet that show frequency upshifting of photons that travel toward a massive object like a star and if so, does it check for down shifting as the photons travel away from the massive object? ………………………..

My...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Martin van Staveren wrote on Mar. 21, 2020 @ 13:19 GMT
I do not understand the zero-pollution method of hydrogen gas production. How is this very high frequency radiation going to be produced? By electricity? And where does the electricity come from? From a nuclear power plant?

Bookmark and Share

Author Paul N Butler replied on Mar. 22, 2020 @ 20:02 GMT
Dear Martin,

The high frequency radiation is produced by electricity and the electricity is produced by solar energy collection. Since solar energy collection does not generate pollution and since the burning of hydrogen gas also does not produce pollution, but only produces water, the whole system produces pollution free energy. The amount of solar energy collection just has to be enough...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Martin van Staveren replied on Mar. 23, 2020 @ 06:18 GMT
Dear Paul,

Yes, I know of the idea to rely on solar energy. But to collect sufficient solar energy, large surface areas would be needed and of course also sufficient sunshine. On a small scale it would certainly be possible, but for e.g a city as London? In my experience, such implementation details are generally lacking in political discussions of the energy transitions. In the Netherlands we should all drive an electric car by 2030; I have no idea how that should be implemented.

In his original article Heisenberg refers to the Ritz combination principle; the atomic transition frequency is linear in the energy difference. He then tries to reproduce this with Fourier series, as exp(a)*exp(b)=exp(a+b), which looks like the Ritz principle. But as the result is not entirely correct, he simply changes it to make it match the data. The Pauli exclusion principle is similarly based on observations: two electrons in an atom are apparently never in the same quantum state. This is just an observational fact, established on the basis of atomic spectra, not an explanation. We are now 100 years later, and there is still no explanation. So I agree that we can only make a model based on what we can observe.

Thanks for your answer and regards,

Martin

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous replied on Mar. 24, 2020 @ 22:49 GMT
Dear Martin,

I have seen estimates that it would take coverage of about one percent of the earth’s surface with solar to generate all of the power that man currently uses. If it is done right, much of this area could come from already used land areas, such as on houses or buildings or on their properties. This would be best because the energy removed by the solar panels would be used...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Martin van Staveren wrote on Mar. 25, 2020 @ 07:05 GMT
Anything that is possible with hydrogen gas should be done, although transporting it from Africa, where the sun shines, to the industrial centra will probably be rather expensive.

I find the language that an “atom contains a complex field structure” somewhat confusing, as according to me a complex field is only a representation of whatever happens inside an atom. So what does “contains” mean? Interestingly, in the 19th century the older generation thought that the Maxwell equations were nihilistic, as the oldies thought that it made no sense to have waves without having an oscillating medium. You cannot have water waves without having water, either. Einstein simply stated that there is no ether. So we have waves without there being anything waving. I love the Maxwell equations, but also wonder what we mean with the word “physics”. I have recently been reading about thermal field theory, which Is based on analytic continuation of time; when time is made into a complex variable, then the methods of quantum field theory apply to statistical mechanics. This is possible simply because the Z (which comprises t) of statistical mechanics looks like the action of quantum field theory, except that the latter comprises “it”. so if you make time t into a complex variable then it works. This is purely a mathematical trick, as nobody understands what a complex time should mean.

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Mar. 29, 2020 @ 09:30 GMT
Respected Prof Martin van Staveren,

The following message was sent to me by Professor Paul N Butler to post as reply, he sent me by mail. This problem happened to me also twice

Best Regards

=snp

"

Dear Martin van Staveren I have a return comment to you ready to send, but I can’t login to my account because it says that it does not recognize my email address. I will get it to you if FQXI gets the problem fixed. If you or anyone else wishes me to send any answers to any comments you send to me on my paper’s page before then, you can put an email address in the comment to me and I will send my comment to you that way. This puts me at a great disadvantage in this contest, since you can’t make any comments to anyone without being able to first login to your account.”

Sincerely,

Paul

"

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Mar. 26, 2020 @ 11:34 GMT
This is in reply to your post Dated Mar. 24, 2020 @ 21:26 GMT

Respected Professor Paul N Butler

………….. Your words………………….………………………..

1. You are right about the problems. As I covered in my paper the root cause is that man has laws written into him that are contrary to the laws that are in accordance to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Mar. 26, 2020 @ 11:48 GMT
Respected Prof Butler

This is in continuation to my above post

Thank you for all your best wishes for my essay, I am giving my highest appreciation to your excellent essay

…………….. Your words………………….

2. It looks like your hypothesis is still the same and you still have not seen any experimental evidence for the concept that light photon’s...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Martin van Staveren wrote on Mar. 29, 2020 @ 09:56 GMT
Dear Paul,

I can be reached at

mvanstaveren@planet.nl

Bookmark and Share

Martin van Staveren wrote on Mar. 29, 2020 @ 19:08 GMT
This is a copy of Paul Butler’s comment to Martin van Staveren on Mar. 29, 2020.

Dear Martin,

The good thing about solar energy is that it is available everywhere to one degree or another. It gives the greatest year around total at and near the equator, but where I am in the middle of the U.S.A. I could get adequate levels for my needs year around and some excess in the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.