Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Michael Popov: on 5/18/20 at 18:41pm UTC, wrote Vladimir, Please see COVID 19 model at ...

Vladimir Fedorov: on 5/18/20 at 9:54am UTC, wrote Dear Michael, I greatly appreciated your work and discussion. While the...

Michael Popov: on 5/17/20 at 9:34am UTC, wrote Dear Pavel and Dmitry! Thank you. Before I had idea to establish...

Pavel Poluian: on 5/16/20 at 10:46am UTC, wrote Dear Michael Alexeevich! We looked at your essay today. In our opinion,...

Michael Popov: on 5/15/20 at 10:30am UTC, wrote Jim, Thank you for your wonderful reference MSRI. I have some sort of...

James Hoover: on 5/14/20 at 17:58pm UTC, wrote Michael, Interesting discussion of symmetry in math and the quantum world....

Michael Popov: on 5/14/20 at 8:57am UTC, wrote Vladimir, Thank you.

Michael Popov: on 5/14/20 at 8:55am UTC, wrote Manfred,hi Non-Euletian form of perfect numbers contains some new...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

jim hughes: "I'm not a mathematician. So what I see here is some smart people who..." in Consciousness and the...

Steve Dufourny: "Hello FQXi, the members and all, I try to do my best to unite and convice..." in Global Collaboration

Lorraine Ford: "The idea of a smooth mathematical evolution of “the wave function”, and..." in Consciousness and the...

Georgina Woodward: "Broken machine: What do[es] I see next? The I that was, E.I, has not been..." in The Room in the Elephant:...

Lorraine Ford: "Hi Stefan, I hope that a good leader, and a good political party, is..." in The Present State of...

Lorraine Ford: "We live in an age of computing. But physics, mathematics and philosophy,..." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "I've copied the comment to the thread where it belongs. This orphan can be..." in The Room in the Elephant:...

Georgina Woodward: "Thank you John. What did you think about the questioning whether altitude..." in The Nature of Time

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Good Vibrations
Microbead 'motor' exploits natural fluctuations for power.

Reconstructing Physics
New photon experiment gives new meta-framework, 'constructor theory,' a boost.

The Quantum Engineer: Q&A with Alexia Auffèves
Experiments seek to use quantum observations as fuel to power mini motors.

The Quantum Clock-Maker Investigating COVID-19, Causality, and the Trouble with AI
Sally Shrapnel, a quantum physicist and medical practitioner, on her experiments into cause-and-effect that could help us understand time’s arrow—and build better healthcare algorithms.

Connect the Quantum Dots for a New Kind of Fuel
'Artificial atoms' allow physicists to manipulate individual electrons—and could help to reduce energy wastage in electronic devices.

FQXi FORUM
September 28, 2021

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: PHYSICS AND UUU - BASED MATHEMATICAL PROBLEMS by Michael Alexeevich Popov [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Michael Alexeevich Popov wrote on Mar. 11, 2020 @ 01:24 GMT
Essay Abstract

There are truly " Mathematical UUU - Monsters " or unsolved mathematical problems ( such as Riemann problem and problem of nonexistence of the odd perfect number) which contain Undecidability,Uncomputability and Unpredictability on the prime numbers at the same time. We are considering a role of physical simplifications for deeper understanding of such sort of problems.

Author Bio

Educated in Leningrad ( St Petersburg) University in 1974 - 1983 ( including 1979 - 1983 PhD studentship in experimental anthropology). From 2007 founder and Director of KANT Mission ESA project ( Cosmic Vision 2015 - 2025), currently from September 2019 Oxford - based founding Director of "Quantum Brain Initiative 2019" international project ( with Pavlovian Institute of Physiology RAS, ITMO lab ( St Petersburg) and OMCAN, Mathematical Institute University of Oxford).

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Mar. 11, 2020 @ 08:30 GMT
Prof Popov,

"hypothetical connection between primes distribution problem and quantum symmetry.............. a difference between two even integers is always even number, we must suggest that there is no such undecidable, incomputable and unpredictable construction as an odd perfect number at all."

Such a relation may exist in Binary numbers????

Very cool work indeed!!

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate
Author Michael Alexeevich Popov replied on May. 14, 2020 @ 08:51 GMT
Thank you for comment

Bookmark and Share

Manfred U.E. Pohl wrote on Mar. 11, 2020 @ 17:58 GMT
Dear Michael Alexeevich Popov,

i enjoyed the essay very much. It is a nice way to work out the Symetry rules in 3 Dim Space to be 12 (3*4).

I could add: digital computer can only calculate [0,1] (after Analog - digital - converter) white Analog Computer calculate somewaht like (sqrt(1)^2)^2 * (sqrt(-1)^2)^2 = 1 (only 1;-1)

Thanks a lot for the Essay !!!

Best regards

Manfred U.E. Pohl

Bookmark and Share
Author Michael Alexeevich Popov replied on May. 14, 2020 @ 08:55 GMT
Manfred,hi

Non-Euletian form of perfect numbers contains some new heuristics ,indeed.

Thank you for comments

Bookmark and Share

Mihai Panoschi Panoschi wrote on Mar. 14, 2020 @ 09:59 GMT
“Traditionally, such unsolved mathematical problems as Riemann problem ( based on three UUUs: Undecidability or lack of effective algorithm to determine the prime numbers, Uncomputability or impossibility to find generating formula for primes, and Unpredictability or lack of mathematical quasi - random concept provided exact prediction of the prime's placement )”

1.Is your definition of Undecidability in Hilbert-Gödel sense?

2.Is your definition of Uncomputabiliy in Hilbert-Turing sense?

3.Is your definition of Unpredictability in classical/quantum Laplace-Heisenberg indeterministic sense?

If yes, could you add a bit of clarity as to how they square up with your above definitions? It is not at all clear for me, for instance, what you mean by “a quasi-random formula” in the context of indeterminism?

Bookmark and Share

Author Michael Alexeevich Popov wrote on Mar. 14, 2020 @ 19:59 GMT
Hi,

Short answer :

1.Yuri Matiysevich's undecidability (1970) in his MRDP theorem and his statement on the unsolvability of Hilbert 10th problem, adapted in his own investigations of Riemann problem.

2.Turing definition of uncomputability in his study of Riemann problem 1937 - 1953( Proc London Math Soc,3:99-117,1953 ).

3.Unpredictability in number - theoretical sense by G.Hardy - Montgomery - Keating (2020), and Tao's theory of " quasi-randomness of primes".

Long answer:

FORGOTTEN TURING MEANINGS.

Alan Turing exploits in code theory,AI and foundations of computer sciences are well-known for many. Less well known is that Turing was also interested in the search of alternative and counterexample for Riemann Hypothesis (RH).These interests culminated in 2 computer programs that he implemented on the " Manchester Mark 1"(MM1) in 1949 - 1950. Turing's 2 programs on MM1 fall squarely within Euclid - Eratosphenes styles of thinking on primes. Turing developed UUU adaptations for RH and he worked on the improvement to Skews's theorem (1933) hoping to remove RH. He had hoped that the MM1 would find a counterexample for Riemann Hypothesis. My essay demonstrates similar trend by justification of an existence of Quantum or Nonclassical number theory.

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Mar. 24, 2020 @ 17:47 GMT
Dear Mikhail Alekseevich,

Very deep research and important ideas for building the ontological basis of Nonclassical number theory.

Best regards, Vladimir

Bookmark and Share
Author Michael Alexeevich Popov replied on May. 14, 2020 @ 08:57 GMT
Vladimir,

Thank you.

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on May. 14, 2020 @ 17:58 GMT
Michael,

Interesting discussion of symmetry in math and the quantum world. Have you seen the workshop of the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute on Quantum Symmetries (MSRI) that ends this month. Are discussion many of the issues you deal with. Considering that symmetry seems to be ubiquitous across math and science, your examples of single-handedness in biological molecules is fascinating. My rating is your 5th. Watch out for rate bombers who give 1s w/o comments. Thanks for your comments on my essay.

Jim Hoover

Bookmark and Share
Author Michael Alexeevich Popov replied on May. 15, 2020 @ 10:30 GMT
Jim,

Thank you for your wonderful reference MSRI. I have some sort of collection of such ideas ( Homochirality and ABC, prime number theorems, Riemann zeros, etc ,please,see: www.oxford.academia.edu/MichaelPopov).

Thank you for rating. I am awaiting to receive my lost rating code number to rank your idea as well.

with the best wishes

Michael

Bookmark and Share

Pavel Vadimovich Poluian wrote on May. 16, 2020 @ 10:46 GMT
Dear Michael Alexeevich!

We looked at your essay today. In our opinion, the rating of your work should be high. We like your approach when the properties of numbers are related to quantum properties. This is a promising attempt, in our opinion. We ourselves acted as well. Once we formulated the hypothesis that the continuum of space corresponds to many real numbers, and many instants of time are rational numbers, a countable set.

Truly yours,

Pavel Poluian and Dmitry Lichargin,

Siberian Federal University.

Bookmark and Share
Author Michael Alexeevich Popov replied on May. 17, 2020 @ 09:34 GMT
Dear Pavel and Dmitry!

Thank you. Before I had idea to establish Rashevskii Lab for quantum number theory in Siberia . It could be interesting what you think that ?

BEST

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Nikolaevich Fedorov wrote on May. 18, 2020 @ 09:54 GMT
Dear Michael,

I greatly appreciated your work and discussion.

While the discussion lasted, I wrote an article: “Practical guidance on calculating resonant frequencies at four levels of diagnosis and inactivation of COVID-19 coronavirus”, due to the high relevance of this topic. The work is based on the practical solution of problems in quantum mechanics, presented in the essay FQXi 2019-2020 “Universal quantum laws of the universe to solve the problems of unsolvability, computability and unpredictability”.

I hope that my modest results of work will provide you with information for thought.

Warm Regards, `

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share
Author Michael Alexeevich Popov replied on May. 18, 2020 @ 18:41 GMT
Vladimir,

Please see COVID 19 model at www.oxford.academia.edu/MichaelPopov

Best

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.