Search FQXi


If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

 RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

berenice aldway: on 9/22/20 at 9:33am UTC, wrote Writing blog or different type of content writing needs a proper learning...

Harry Wellington: on 8/19/20 at 0:29am UTC, wrote I am absolutely fascinated by the decision theory. It is of interest to...

Samuel Parsons: on 6/6/20 at 11:12am UTC, wrote Thanks! That sounds like what I really need help with ! I love this kind of...

Samuel Parsons: on 5/22/20 at 16:17pm UTC, wrote O also means a whole new universe in a box can be recreated a miniverse...

Samuel Parsons: on 5/22/20 at 16:15pm UTC, wrote Is it 127? It's always comes back here. Just saying also I'm trying to...

Robert McEachern: on 3/6/20 at 21:04pm UTC, wrote The standard way to pick, is to select the choice with the highest...



FQXi FORUM
September 22, 2020

ARTICLE: Outside the Box [back to article]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Robert H McEachern wrote on Mar. 6, 2020 @ 21:04 GMT
The standard way to pick, is to select the choice with the highest expectation value. No contest here. The expectation value for Box-A is only $1000. Even if the predictor is only 50/50 correct/incorrect, Box-B will have an expectation value of $500,000. If the predictor has "near-perfect accuracy", then the expectation value of Box-B is nearly $1,000,000. So you can either be guaranteed to win a paltry $1000, or be "near perfect" sure to win a vastly greater sum. So, are you really going to totally squander a "near-perfect" opportunity to receive $1,000,000, in the ill-conceived hope of maybe getting a measly extra $1000? This brings to mind another TV game show - "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" As the famous Monty Hall problem demonstrated, a lot of highly-educated people are not, when it comes to analyzing game shows - or reality.

Rob McEachern

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate


Samuel Jason Parsons wrote on May. 22, 2020 @ 16:15 GMT
Is it 127? It's always comes back here. Just saying also I'm trying to figure this place out still. Where can I drop my constant rants questions philosophy visionary works and really cool new ideas? Like I got lots of work based in cosmology but also particles and things like graphene and I have theory of why magic angle works hint it's liken to light and bubbles and rainbows lol ok I'll say it electrons and really all particles with non zero mass shrink infinitely between layers and then re expand but if mechanism was scaled and one side smaller than other you could shrink or enlarge likend event horizons and zero velocity

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate


Samuel Jason Parsons wrote on May. 22, 2020 @ 16:17 GMT
O also means a whole new universe in a box can be recreated a miniverse just have 360 shrinking layers and 360 rexpanding layers

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate


Samuel Jason Parsons wrote on Jun. 6, 2020 @ 11:12 GMT
Thanks! That sounds like what I really need help with ! I love this kind of work but I don't have the discipline formalities and vocabularies but most of all the paperwork... O hope that will help me. Tired of trying to help change the world with popsicle sticks and glue guns gonna end up getting radiation poisoning from lack of safety equipment lab access and resources. Lol thanks again for the follow up.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate


Harry Wellington wrote on Aug. 19, 2020 @ 00:29 GMT
I am absolutely fascinated by the decision theory. It is of interest to philosophers and economists. It deals with how to behave rationally in various practical situations. A decision situation is one where the subject of an action (let us call it P) has a choice between different actions (say D1 and D2). P may, for example, consider which of the two horses to bet on in the approaching race.

What should be taken into account in a decision situation? The two basic features of any such situation are the value (usefulness), i.e. how much W is desired in a given action D, and the probability that if you do D, you actually get W.

In horse racing the matter is quite simple, because bettors usually have only one goal: to make money. Let's say that bookmakers bet 50:1 on horse 1 and 10:1 on horse 2, and you wonder which one to bet your ten dollars on. Of course, the potential value of betting on horse 1 is much greater than betting on horse 2: you have a chance to win $500, not just 100.

But the probability that the horse you're going to bet on will win is equally important. Let's look at some examples. Let's assume that there are two horses in the race, horse 1 and horse 2. Suppose that you think that horse 1 has a 1% chance of winning, while the chance of winning a horse 2 is 99%. In that case you should bet on horse 2: although this way you can only win $100, the chance of actually winning is huge. On the other hand, if you think that the chances of winning a horse 1 are 50%, then you should bet on that horse. No matter how you bet, the chances of winning are the same: 50%. However, you will win much more by betting on the winning horse 1 than on the winning horse 2.

---------------------

Harry Wellington from pozycjonowanie

Bookmark and Share
post approved


berenice aldway wrote on Sep. 22, 2020 @ 09:33 GMT
Writing blog or different type of content writing needs a proper learning and skills. Nowadays a professional writer knows how to write and which skills are required for assignment, coursework and dissertation. Now If anyone need CIPD assignment help for level 5 just ask from our Experts. For more information, you can contact to our customer care service, which is always available via internet.

Bookmark and Share
post under review


Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.