Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

James Hoover: on 5/12/20 at 6:08am UTC, wrote Dan, Hope you have time to check mine out before the deadline:...

Michael muteru: on 5/6/20 at 7:58am UTC, wrote Hello Dan.Nice insight on decision making. rated You keep up the great...

Peter Jackson: on 5/2/20 at 20:05pm UTC, wrote Dan, I think you paint the correct 'overview' picture, and paint it well....

James Hoover: on 3/28/20 at 22:41pm UTC, wrote Dan, Wanted to let you know that I updated my essay and uploaded it a few...

James Hoover: on 3/8/20 at 21:54pm UTC, wrote Dan, Your scholarly essay approach involves delineated answers in the same...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 3/4/20 at 20:59pm UTC, wrote Hi, If you are replying any of comments I posted on your essay, I request...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 3/4/20 at 8:14am UTC, wrote Thank you for your Excellent essay Prof Your words…… “The mapmaker...

Wilhelmus de Wilde: on 3/1/20 at 10:00am UTC, wrote Dear Dan, Thank you for your very clearly expressed view on reality. I...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "Dear Lorraine, :) thanks a lot, I am touched by these words from you, take..." in The Present State of...

Dr Narayan Bhadra: "All the Honourable Scientists are cordially requested to feedback that we..." in Undecidability,...

Dr Narayan Bhadra: "Honourable Scientists are cordially requested to feedback my article..." in Undecidability,...

Stefan Weckbach: "To shortly resume my main points here for a better understanding: I wrote ..." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "The mass of the lion entity is not divided between different areas of high..." in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Georgina Woodward: ""Superfluous" is not the correct word. 'Redundant' or 'no longer viable' is..." in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Jim Snowdon: "Since evolving on our rapidly rotating planet, we have used it`s rotational..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

Steve Dufourny: "a general universal clock of evolution irreversible correlated for me with..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Quantum Clock-Maker Investigating COVID-19, Causality, and the Trouble with AI
Sally Shrapnel, a quantum physicist and medical practitioner, on her experiments into cause-and-effect that could help us understand time’s arrow—and build better healthcare algorithms.

Connect the Quantum Dots for a New Kind of Fuel
'Artificial atoms' allow physicists to manipulate individual electrons—and could help to reduce energy wastage in electronic devices.

Can Choices Curve Spacetime?
Two teams are developing ways to detect quantum-gravitational effects in the lab.

The Quantum Engine That Simultaneously Heats and Cools
Tiny device could help boost quantum electronics.

The Quantum Refrigerator
A tiny cooling device could help rewrite the thermodynamic rule book for quantum machines.

FQXi FORUM
September 19, 2021

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: RANDOMNESS, COMPUTABILITY, AND EMBODIMENT by Dan J. Bruiger [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Dan J. Bruiger wrote on Feb. 29, 2020 @ 18:28 GMT
Essay Abstract

Physical and mathematical concepts ultimately reflect the nature of the embodied human organism as well as its world. Non-computability in mathematics and randomness in physics refer to limits within an epistemic relationship between subject and object. However, non-computability signifies the ability of a self-reflective agent to transcend its own formulations. In contrast, natural randomness signifies the world’s ability to transcend formalization in thought.

Author Bio

I am an independent scholar with longstanding interest in philosophy of science and mind. Publications include The Found and the Made: science, reason, and the reality of nature (2016)and Second Nature: the man-made world of idealism, technology, and power (2006). I have participated in several fqxi contests.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde wrote on Mar. 1, 2020 @ 10:00 GMT
Dear Dan,

Thank you for your very clearly expressed view on reality.

I liked very much your approach to agents from a different structure like ours.

I am inclined to place these agents in different realities.

Your interpretations are touching mine, only the essence of reality is not yet touched. I also tried to do that, but I don't know if I succeeded, all interpretations are staying interpretations from conscious agents.

I enjoyed reading your essay and hope that you will also find some time to read an comment on mine.

Good luck

Wilhelmus de Wilde

https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3411

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Mar. 4, 2020 @ 08:14 GMT
Thank you for your Excellent essay Prof

Your words……

“The mapmaker (the human brain) is in the position of a pilot flying by instrument or a submarine navigator charting the underwater world. Like these characters in their capsules, the brain is sealed within the skull, with access to the putative outside only through electro-chemical signals, of which it must learn to make sense.”

Very nice analogy you gave here. I got a small doubt here. What is the difference between human brain and mind? The mind and consciousness are same is it? What is consciousness actually???

Best

=Snp. Gupta

Bookmark and Share
Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Mar. 4, 2020 @ 20:59 GMT
Hi,

If you are replying any of comments I posted on your essay, I request you to post a copy or intimation that you posted reply, on my essay

“A properly deciding, Computing and Predicting new theory’s Philosophy”

also,so that I can continue discussion….

Best Regards

=snp.gupta

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Mar. 8, 2020 @ 21:54 GMT
Dan,

Your scholarly essay approach involves delineated answers in the same manner as your perceived fact-based description of our relations with physical nature. You make our failings seem pre-programmed. These “grand generalities” couched in math are there but shared human efforts coming from varied cultures could serve as a check on these generalities. Allowing the interference of the political culture with the scientific culture certainly has tainted the scientific effort and what is produced, certainly evident with the climate change fiasco. I tend to believe that enhanced cognition, which scientists contend we are capable of, and better tools like quantum computers as well as a global scientific effort will further hone our tools, help erase muddled approaches and lessen limited knowledge. I believe that nature is not inherently inscrutable. I do agree that the “mathematical mind is ordained to transcend its own creations.” Our stage 0 civilization on the Kardashev scale will take centuries to overcome the 3 “Us” if we survive that long. You describe well the tendencies seemingly embedded – conceptual maps, statistical scientific knowledge, forcing decisions, fear of alternative math, etc -- in our culture. Hopefully we can overcome with a shared global effort, enhanced cognition and better tools.

Jim Hoover

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Mar. 28, 2020 @ 22:41 GMT
Dan,

Wanted to let you know that I updated my essay and uploaded it a few minutes ago. Personally I feel that it is greatly improved. I did rate yours on 3/20, giving it a good rating, feeling it was one of the better ones.

Please check mine out if you have time. Such honest, No BS, reviews are needed by all of us.

Jim Hoover

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 2, 2020 @ 20:05 GMT
Dan,

I think you paint the correct 'overview' picture, and paint it well. Favourite snippets; nature 'transcends formalisation in thought', maths 'mirrors reality but potentially diverges from it, determinism is a 'property of equations'. Uncertainty relations are not specific to the quantum scale', and 'gotten out onto theoretical limbs'. All goos stuff. But a few questions.

When logic and Philosophy itself remains best by paradox can we really insist it's "true by definition"? (I suggest it needs updating).

Is decidability really only about 'which set'? i.e. We know a sphere has both clockwise and anticlockwise rotation. But what if you have to tell me which at any point you touch, then you find the equator? If nature is smooth not integer then is not observer undecidability inherent?

Again I suggest important implications of that in my essay.

Well done for yours, marked down for a good score.

Very best

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Michael muteru wrote on May. 6, 2020 @ 07:58 GMT
Hello Dan.Nice insight on decision making. rated You keep up the great Work.i have something on anthropic bias here https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3525.pls read/rate.all the best in the essay.

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on May. 12, 2020 @ 06:08 GMT
Dan,

Hope you have time to check mine out before the deadline: https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3396

Jim Hoover.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.