Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Anonymous: on 1/5/09 at 13:41pm UTC, wrote Hey Iacob: Thanks for your comment and suggestion. I have indeed already...

Anonymous: on 12/29/08 at 15:32pm UTC, wrote jijijijij

Iacob Suteu: on 12/26/08 at 20:18pm UTC, wrote Hi Jean, Read your article. You wrote: "Our ability to focus intensely...

Steve Abrahams: on 12/23/08 at 19:59pm UTC, wrote Dear Jean I enjoyed your essay very much. I have read many of the essays...

Jean IBAR: on 12/1/08 at 10:53am UTC, wrote Essay Abstract The synchronization of space and time defines the...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

kurt stocklmeir: "gravity associated with gas and gas running into stars can change orbit of..." in Alternative Models of...

Joe Fisher: "One real visible Universe must only have one real visible appearance...." in Why This Universe?

Pop News: "These questions are amazing loving them... International Yoga Day 2018" in Why This Universe?

Patrik Miertviezky: "Hello everybody! My name is Patrik and i am 26 years old girl from Europe...." in Time in Physics & Entropy...

Rachelle Marie: "The lengthy form of the meeting, available on the page, you can similarly..." in Podcast Up: Interacting...

jhon dwayne: "If any customer face problem during window installing then he can call our..." in Manipulating the Quantum...

jhon dwayne: "If any customer face problem during window installing then he can call our..." in Manipulating the Quantum...

kurt stocklmeir: "there is a lot of gas between galaxies - there are a lot of small galaxies..." in Alternative Models of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Fuzzballs v Black Holes
A radical theory replaces the cosmic crunchers with fuzzy quantum spheres, potentially solving the black-hole information paradox and explaining away the Big Bang and the origin of time.

Whose Physics Is It Anyway? Q&A with Chanda Prescod-Weinstein
Why physics and astronomy communities must take diversity issues seriously in order to do good science.

Why Time Might Not Be an Illusion
Einstein’s relativity pushes physicists towards a picture of the universe as a block, in which the past, present, and future all exist on the same footing; but maybe that shift in thinking has gone too far.

The Complexity Conundrum
Resolving the black hole firewall paradox—by calculating what a real astronaut would compute at the black hole's edge.

Quantum Dream Time
Defining a ‘quantum clock’ and a 'quantum ruler' could help those attempting to unify physics—and solve the mystery of vanishing time.

FQXi FORUM
June 22, 2018

CATEGORY: The Nature of Time Essay Contest (2008) [back]
TOPIC: The Drumming of Space-Time by Jean IBAR [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Jean IBAR wrote on Dec. 1, 2008 @ 10:53 GMT
Essay Abstract

The synchronization of space and time defines the present. If we imagine the past –in a space-time diagram- as a curvy path whose head is the present, any cross-over of paths represents a synchronization of events. Such is the encounter of my path as a pedestrian going through a park, on a road, with a couple of cars, all crossing at the exact same point in space-time. We can structure space from the smallest distance measurable of 10-16 cm, and time, from duration measurement of 10-18 sec. Are these two scales dependant, should they be “synchronized”? How? Can matter’s genesis depend on the synchronization of fluctuations of time and space at the smallest scale? Was the Big-Bang a phase transition between a time-space-plasma (unsynchronized time and space scales) and synchronized space-time? Is this phase transition still occurring at the edge of the expanding universe, with most of the (missing) matter localized at this new expanding horizon? Is it conceivable that more than one Big-Bang occurred in the past, perhaps three (to explain the table of particles), that continue to expand and interact to knit our present universe, a tissue of granulated matter obtained by interference: the drumming of Space-Time! Our collective experience anchors our perception of time and space into a global consciousness, which has remained, perhaps, until now, very basic and common sense even after the scientific revolution. New media communication tools, such as live video-games, could generate a more sophisticated and powerful “laser consciousness” where all brain activity from the participants synchronize to resonate with the reality that they create together. This offers to redefine our limits of space-time, and a new generation for mankind.

Author Bio

Educated at ENS Chimie Paris, and MIT. Fulbright Visiting Professor in the Physics Dpt at the university of Pau (France). Specialty: physics of interaction, dissipative systems statistics, amorphous matter (polymers). Paintings (Lautrec, Soutine, Veermer). Music: LVB, Pink-Floyd, James Brown Sport: Basque Pelota, rugby Books: Russian literature

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Steve Abrahams wrote on Dec. 23, 2008 @ 19:59 GMT
Dear Jean

I enjoyed your essay very much. I have read many of the essays here with great interest but find some of my ideas have a 'resonance' with some of yours. My essay is based upon the intraction of 'assumed' vibrating fields which fill all space. Matter being the result of harmonics in a number of fields being sustained by resonance in another.Matter being similar to 'standing waves' at a point. The energy transfer via resonance, being a continueous 'flow' toward each point, giving the effects of both inertia and gravity to those points.Any difference between perfect resonance and imperfect resonance being seen as a 'feedback' interference into the sustaining field. We seeing it as heat light etc depending on how far from perfect resonance the point is.

Sorry. Getting to the point of this post, I feel that if what I propose has any foundation in reality then these following things may happen.

Every point of matter will transmit its existence to every other point of matter.(in the universe eventually) Both as feedback into the sustaining field and and through effecting the 'flow of' sustaining energy(its gravitational effect albeit very small) and also into the 'harmonic' fields.

This could mean that every 'thought' we have will fill the universe! Every thought we have will pass through every other brain. Every thought we have will be transmitted into the 'harmonic fields'(perhaps more permanent than the 'resonant' field?) like rain on a tin roof or the distant beating of a drum? They may very well form the 'memory well' of the global/universal consciousness.Or even the laser consciousness of which you speak.Perhaps only the odd 'freak' human brain is tuned to recieve its frequency or perhaps we all dip into this well from time to time.(I don't really know where i got these essay thoghts from either!)Perhaps as you suggest, humans will evolve to tune in and syncronise within these fields.

It may be that from this 'reverberating well' of 'knowledge' (and perhaps 'awareness,') that may survive the comings and goings of universes, that gives rise to the 'will to live' which organises matter into life, (wherever it can),and gives it, its instincts to survive, perhaps.Who knows?

Oh dear, my tea's burnt! As you say doesn't time fly!

Good Luck and thanks for a great essay.

SA

Bookmark and Share

Iacob Suteu wrote on Dec. 26, 2008 @ 20:18 GMT
Hi Jean,

Read your article.

You wrote:

"Our ability to focus intensely on a given task makes our

perception of time a unique individual experience, unshared with others. For instance, the

writing of a theoretical article makes time loose its grip: the present, past and future

dissolve. « Hello, I am back » says my wife, and I thought, for a moment, that she had

left five minutes ago, although four hours had passed."

I propose the following experiment:

First of all you have to do something that will necessitate your attention so the above experience might happen. But with a difference this time. You'll have to put some music that you like, in this way you will notice when you focus intensely. You will probably notice that the melody is fragmented (you hear only fragments). Also if you have a web camera, you could record your eye blinking during this experiment. In this case you could see if some body automatic behaviors are affected.

Best regards,

Iacob

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Dec. 29, 2008 @ 15:32 GMT
jijijijij

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Anonymous wrote on Jan. 5, 2009 @ 13:41 GMT
Hey Iacob:

Thanks for your comment and suggestion. I have indeed already noticed the in/out perception of music when focused. But, often, when I am concentrating on some thoughts, music distracts me, and I can't think, I have to shut it down. For the webcam experiment, quite a good idea, and I will try it.

Happy New Year, best wishes.

JP

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.