Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Vladimir Fedorov: on 5/17/20 at 5:46am UTC, wrote Dear Al Schneider, I greatly appreciated your work and discussion. I am...

Lachlan Cresswell: on 5/12/20 at 9:57am UTC, wrote Hi Al, I take the opposite view to you on determinism and free will, but I...

Anonymous: on 5/10/20 at 23:39pm UTC, wrote Branko There was a king that laid 10000 square feet of sod behind the...

Branko Zivlak: on 5/10/20 at 18:35pm UTC, wrote Dear Al Schneider I agree: There are no paradoxes in reality. I think...

Michael muteru: on 5/1/20 at 22:01pm UTC, wrote Hi Al, Thanks for the expose. a good work, the abstract was very appealing....

Al Schneider: on 3/30/20 at 1:53am UTC, wrote basudeba mishra Me thinks you miss my point. There is one computer up to...

basudeba mishra: on 3/29/20 at 23:58pm UTC, wrote Thanks for a brief but power punched essay. You have put your finger on the...

Al Schneider: on 3/6/20 at 15:21pm UTC, wrote Jim Hoover Started reading your article. Does being a programmer bring a...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "That is about the 'anatomy"" of spacetime." in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Lorraine Ford: "So what exactly is WRONG with physics, apart from the fact that physics..." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "The perception generated of time difference relates to the potential..." in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Steve Dufourny: "Hello Jim, yes indeed in a sense we have these motions and we have invented..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

Jim Snowdon: "Hi Steve, Clearly we have motion in our Universe. It is not..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

Steve Dufourny: "You are welcome, thanks too for your words. I have never lost the faith..." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "Thank you. Good luck." in The Nature of Time

Lorraine Ford: "Rob, As you have not replied, I take it that you now concede that the..." in 16th Marcel Grossmann...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Quantum Clock-Maker Investigating COVID-19, Causality, and the Trouble with AI
Sally Shrapnel, a quantum physicist and medical practitioner, on her experiments into cause-and-effect that could help us understand time’s arrow—and build better healthcare algorithms.

Connect the Quantum Dots for a New Kind of Fuel
'Artificial atoms' allow physicists to manipulate individual electrons—and could help to reduce energy wastage in electronic devices.

Can Choices Curve Spacetime?
Two teams are developing ways to detect quantum-gravitational effects in the lab.

The Quantum Engine That Simultaneously Heats and Cools
Tiny device could help boost quantum electronics.

The Quantum Refrigerator
A tiny cooling device could help rewrite the thermodynamic rule book for quantum machines.

FQXi FORUM
September 17, 2021

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: The Sun Clearly Goes Around the Earth by Al Schneider [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Al Schneider wrote on Feb. 17, 2020 @ 19:32 GMT
Essay Abstract

This paper suggests that our observations are leading us in the wrong direction. For over 2000 years we observed the sun going around the earth and assumed that was the science of the day. Discovery of the molecule happened about 100 years ago. How much time will pass before we understand what goes around in it? This paper takes issue with our mathematical capabilities and our ability to predict and make decisions. The initial contest challenge is interpreted as a question between determinism and self determinism. The answer to this question is presented as a yes and a no.

Author Bio

Al Schneider received a B. S. in Physics from Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1969. Professionally, Al produced software for embedded systems from pacemakers to airplane guidance systems. A life long endeavor has been the study of QM including the publication of two books on the subject: Quantum Mechanics A-Z without the BS and New Age Quantum Physics.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward wrote on Feb. 18, 2020 @ 00:55 GMT
A different essay than I expected from the title. I agree that we can be mislead by mathematics. There is the problem of the maths tail wagging the physics dog. Short but some good insight. Regards Georgina

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

John C Hodge wrote on Feb. 18, 2020 @ 16:41 GMT
I agree.

Bookmark and Share

John-Erik Persson wrote on Feb. 28, 2020 @ 13:55 GMT
John

Your article is very interesting, since you define an important question. However, I think that you should put more work in your answer.

With best regards from ____________________ John-Erik

Bookmark and Share
Author Al Schneider replied on Feb. 28, 2020 @ 20:33 GMT
John-Erik

Thanks for the comment.

My primary goal was to stick to the topic as best I could. I also attempted to make it entertaining and clear to a casual reader as requested by the moderators. And I struggled to keep my opinions of universal structure away from the dear reader. To console myself I put a post of those ideas in the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread.

So with all that in mind perhaps I did not devote enough to the answer.

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Mar. 5, 2020 @ 05:55 GMT
Al,

I have done some modeling in my day in the area of logistics for the B1 bomber. I can follow your thinking. I share your ideas for undecidability and unpredictability, believing that all mysteries can be solved eventually but many in our lifetime. The uncomputability part is mainly due to human failures to understand, too many variables, and the belief than any mystery can be solved with a super algorithym. Quantum computers can be a solution, intercultural cooperation, and enhanced cognition.

Jim Hoover

Bookmark and Share

Author Al Schneider wrote on Mar. 6, 2020 @ 15:21 GMT
Jim Hoover

Started reading your article. Does being a programmer bring a sense of reality? There your thoughts are directly transferred to action in the real world. As I read your words I think, "Every answer spawns a myriad of questions. I have two interests that I think give me an edge on understanding reality. I have been a programmer most of my life and I am a leading member of the world magic community. I am known as a writer, teacher, and creator. I am accustomed at observing two sides of the same thing. In computers One side is the magic the user sees. The other side is the massive number of if,than, and else statements. In magic the sides are the illusion the spectator sees and the device causing the illusion. I see QM in a similar way. There is the illusion and the real mechanics. Most seem to be enamored with the illusion.

Bookmark and Share

basudeba mishra wrote on Mar. 29, 2020 @ 23:58 GMT
Thanks for a brief but power punched essay. You have put your finger on the malaise. But the patient should be willing to take your treatment.

Language is the transposition of one’s/a system’s thought/command in another person/system’s mind/CPU. Mathematics does that for quantitative aspects of Nature. Hence, mathematics is a language of Nature. But it describes the quantitative...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
Author Al Schneider replied on Mar. 30, 2020 @ 01:53 GMT
basudeba mishra

Me thinks you miss my point.

There is one computer up to the task.

It is called cosmos.

However I must review your thought.

And I will take a look at your paper.

Al

Bookmark and Share

Michael muteru wrote on May. 1, 2020 @ 22:01 GMT
Hi Al, Thanks for the expose. a good work, the abstract was very appealing. oh How I wish it'd be a longer essay.it would outline all conflicts of Human bias in science vividly.i have proposed a simple essay here -https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3525 that you may read/rate on some foundational instances that are non trivial in science. kindly pass by that. all comments welcome. best of luck.Thanks.

Bookmark and Share
post approved

Branko L Zivlak wrote on May. 10, 2020 @ 18:35 GMT
Dear Al Schneider

I agree:

There are no paradoxes in reality.

I think the following is incorrect:

There are paradoxes in logic and mathematics. Generally, mathematics is an approximation of reality. Reality is quantized, mathematics is not.

All this is due to the lack of understanding of mathematics by physicists.

Regards,

Branko

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on May. 10, 2020 @ 23:39 GMT
Branko

There was a king that laid 10000 square feet of sod behind the castle. It looked so good he wanted rose bushes around the area. He asked the gardener to plant roses. The gardener asked the royal mathematician how many roses would be needed given the area was 10000 square feet. The mathematician made out an order slip for the gardener. It requested 400 rose bushes and 400 taycheon rose bushes.

Bookmark and Share

Lachlan Cresswell wrote on May. 12, 2020 @ 09:57 GMT
Hi Al,

I take the opposite view to you on determinism and free will, but I do agree with the general premise that the entire cosmos is the only satisfactory computer, as LaPlaces Demon isnt available to us, and that everything we do to measure and create ontologies is just approximation.

Regards

Lockie Cresswell

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Nikolaevich Fedorov wrote on May. 17, 2020 @ 05:46 GMT
Dear Al Schneider,

I greatly appreciated your work and discussion. I am very glad that you are not thinking in abstract patterns.

While the discussion lasted, I wrote an article: “Practical guidance on calculating resonant frequencies at four levels of diagnosis and inactivation of COVID-19 coronavirus”, due to the high relevance of this topic. The work is based on the practical solution of problems in quantum mechanics, presented in the essay FQXi 2019-2020 “Universal quantum laws of the universe to solve the problems of unsolvability, computability and unpredictability”.

I hope that my modest results of work will provide you with information for thought.

Warm Regards, `

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.