Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - March 16, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discuss

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Rodney Bartlett: on 2/23/20 at 7:34am UTC, wrote FQXi member Sean Carroll (California Institute of Technology) posted an...

Rodney Bartlett: on 2/19/20 at 5:32am UTC, wrote My reply on this page to Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich addressed the relation...

Rodney Bartlett: on 2/16/20 at 5:43am UTC, wrote Thumbs up, John - the reference to my essay looks good!

John Hodge: on 2/16/20 at 2:17am UTC, wrote Thanks for your cretive insight. The link below shows the result. Click of...

Rodney Bartlett: on 2/14/20 at 6:37am UTC, wrote I made the following comments on the essay page "Why Can't Y'All See Things...

Rodney Bartlett: on 2/12/20 at 5:53am UTC, wrote Was it Rene Descartes who said “One cannot embrace the immense.” If it...

Rodney Bartlett: on 2/12/20 at 4:15am UTC, wrote Sorry I initially forgot to say that I had no reference regarding the...

John Hodge: on 2/11/20 at 17:03pm UTC, wrote Well, it's bee 10 years since I calculated in celestial coordinate systems....

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Eckard Blumschein: "Robert and Malcom, See me itinerant and a bit worried by Feynman’s..." in The Quantum Agent

Peter Morgan: "That's not what the preview showed! Grrrrr. Aaaaannnnndddd I can't edit it...." in An algebraic approach to...

Peter Morgan: "I have to hope that better understanding the relationship between the..." in An algebraic approach to...

John Wilson: "Hi Malcolm, Thanks for reading some of my paper, I really appreciate it. ..." in Alternative Models of...

Malcolm Riddoch: "Steve Agnew: “I hope this will be useful to you and I do encourage your..." in Alternative Models of...

Amrit Sorli: "BB cosmology has some troubles. I think that it will not last for a long..." in Alternative Models of...

Joe Fisher: "A visible person could dig or bore a fixed hole with visible sides in a..." in The Quantum Agent

Joe Fisher: "The most compelling evidence that the ability of white men of only being..." in Undecidability,...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Quantum Agent
Investigating how the quantum measurement process might be related to the emergence of intelligence, agency and free will.

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

FQXi FORUM
February 27, 2020

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: NON-COMPUTABILITY AND UNPREDICTABILITY ARE SO YESTERDAY: WITH COMPUTABLE AND PREDICTABLE COSMIC STRUCTURE, PLUS IMPLICATIONS FOR MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE by Rodney Bartlett [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Feb. 2, 2020 @ 12:09 GMT
Essay Abstract

A quote attributed to Albert Einstein points out that intuition is the source of great ideas while mathematics is only intuition's faithful servant. Prior to being assaulted by equations, the two diagrams below immediately show a great similarity between Mercury’s precession and Planet Nine’s effect on the perihelia of several TNOs (Trans Neptunian Objects). On one side of the Sun, Mercury’s orbit displays an ascending pattern while its perihelion on the opposite side of the Sun maintains a constant level. In the second diagram, the TNOs on one side of the Sun show what can be viewed as a (less orderly) ascending or descending pattern. The greatest part of the orbit of the alleged cause of their perihelia being attracted to more-or-less the same point in space (Planet Nine) is on the other side of the Sun. This leads to consequences for the structure of space-time and for the Big Bang, for interstellar travel and radioactive dating, as well as for dark matter and dark energy. The proposed method of interstellar travel also leads to intergalactic travel plus elimination of distance between all points in the past, present, and future. To use a popular term, this is "time travel" which has the potential to remove the electronic and topological construction of the universe described in this article from any supernatural agency. That construction might be the result of presently unimaginable electronics, programming, and mathematics which won't be developed, in the words of astronomer Carl Sagan, until "billions upon billions" of years from now.

Author Bio

Last year, I went back to school … by enrolling in an online astrophysics course conducted by ANU (the Australian National University) and the Internet company edX. The course covered all the subjects taught at ANU to first-year astrophysics students studying on-campus. It really got my brain ticking over, and seems to be the inspiration for many of my thoughts in this essay. So, a big thank you to the two presenters of the course - Professor Paul Francis (he developed the course and its videos), and Professor Brian Schmidt (co-winner of the 2011 Nobel Prize for Physics).

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Feb. 8, 2020 @ 07:44 GMT
I'll open the comments on this page myself - by extracting a few parts from my essay that are relevant to astronaut Christina Koch's record-setting spaceflight. She returned to Earth on Feb. 6 and now holds the record for the longest single spaceflight by any woman. She was on the International Space Station 328 days, made 5248 orbits, and travelled 139 million miles.

First of all -...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

John C Hodge wrote on Feb. 9, 2020 @ 15:05 GMT
Your suggestion that the TNOs orbits (Planet 9) and the Mercury perihelion advance (Vulcan) are related is interesting. What is the celestial orientation of the axis? Do you know of a reference that states this in terms of constellation?

The STOE suggests planet 9 is the same cause as the rotation curves of galaxies (which has been labeled Dark Matter).

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Feb. 10, 2020 @ 03:54 GMT
As far as I know, Isaac Newton realised that precession wasn't confined to Mercury. It affects all the planets but Mercury has the greatest precession because of its closeness to the Sun. So TNOs must also be affected by advance, or precession, of perihelia. The "celestial orientation of the axis" may be the act of Mercury and the TNOs sharing the universal unified field. There may not be any Planet 9 but a shared gravitational continuum throughout the cosmos (my essay shows how "advanced" plus "retarded" gravitational waves can produce quantum entanglement). After all, Albert Einstein said gravity results from the curves in spacetime - therefore, gravity IS spacetime. To make gravity a truly universal continuum, it should not only be identified with spacetime but also with matter in spacetime. This is done in my essay with gravitational-electromagnetic interaction forming matter's particles via VTS (vector-tensor-scalar) geometry.

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Feb. 10, 2020 @ 04:25 GMT
PS

Wave interaction may not only produce matter but also dark matter. To produce dark matter, the waves would rotate around the Complex Number Plane away from the so-called real spacetime on the x axis and into other dimensions which include the y axis described by so-called imaginary numbers. As they rotate, the crests and troughs of the waves cancel and cause entanglement of the imaginary and real dimensions. This permits them to interact gravitationally. Electromagnetic - and other - interactions become increasingly difficult as the distance of the other dimensions approaches the imaginary axis which is perpendicular to all our perceptions and the detectability of scientific instruments (and thus normally imperceptible and undetectable).

Bookmark and Share

John C Hodge replied on Feb. 10, 2020 @ 22:27 GMT
Yeah, yeah. You didn't answer the question.

Bookmark and Share

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Feb. 11, 2020 @ 11:29 GMT
Dear Rodney Bartlett, one wise man said: “One cannot embrace the immense.” Your essay is an attempt to describe the entire Universe, using all your knowledge that you received from sources known to you. In general, your essay is not bad, but it would be even better if you were familiar with the identity space and matter of Descartes’s , according to which physical space moves, since it is matter. You write: "E = mc ^ 2 tells us that matter possesses energy, so what is known as dark matter would possess what is called dark energy." In my essay you will find that I explained the equivalence formula to those that there is a pressure of the Universe on each corpuscle equal to the flow of force through its closed surface, and I also defined mass as a stream of centrifugal acceleration.

I invite you to discuss my essay, in which I show the successes of the neocartesian generalization of modern physics, based on the identity of Descartes’s space and matter: “The transformation of uncertainty into certainty. The relationship of the Lorentz factor with the probability density of states. And more from a new Cartesian generalization of modern physics. by Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich »

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Feb. 12, 2020 @ 05:53 GMT
Was it Rene Descartes who said “One cannot embrace the immense.” If it was, I think he should have added: "But in a sincere effort to see science progress, please feel free to attempt to describe the entire Universe (especially when you have an extra 400 years of scientific knowledge to help you)". I've always had a strong feeling that everything in spacetime and the universe must be part of an entangled unification. So my attempt to describe the universe would not merely use knowledge received from sources known to me. It would also use knowledge received from sources unknown to me. Perhaps this sounds mystical and scientifically impossible. But I prefer to think of it as a consequence of science's "entangled unification". Even if my attempt to describe the universe fails to have any impact at all with science, it has already permanently changed the fundamental approach of one person (me) to viewing that universe. As this quote I found on the Internet says, “As one person I cannot change the world, but I can change the world of one person”.

Thank you for inviting me to your excellent essay. I particularly enjoyed the reference to the equivalence of space and matter. This is something Albert Einstein also believed in. He wrote a paper in 1919 which asked if gravitation plays a role in the composition of elementary particles of matter. My essay agrees with this when, in Vector-Tensor-Scalar Geometry, it talks about gravitational-electromagnetic interaction forming the mass and quantum spin of particles (whether fermion, boson, or Higgs). Since General Relativity states that gravity is nothing more than the result of spacetime's curving, gravity is spacetime and the mass/quantum spin of particles can be regarded as space itself forming matter instead of as gravity playing a role in matter's composition. In other words, we have what you called space-matter equivalence.

Bookmark and Share

John C Hodge wrote on Feb. 11, 2020 @ 17:03 GMT
Well, it's bee 10 years since I calculated in celestial coordinate systems.

I'll reference this (your fqxi paper) in my paper.

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Feb. 12, 2020 @ 04:15 GMT
Sorry I initially forgot to say that I had no reference regarding the question you asked, John. And thanks for saying you'll reference my essay in your excellent paper.

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Feb. 14, 2020 @ 06:37 GMT
I made the following comments on the essay page "Why Can't Y'All See Things My Way" by Joe Fisher. I'd like to keep all my comments on the same page as my essay. Maybe that's got something to do with my being a freakosaurus for neatness and tidiness :-) So I'm going to copy and paste my comments to this page, too -

In the abstract of your essay, you mention "the visible Earth's extinction"...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

John C Hodge wrote on Feb. 16, 2020 @ 02:17 GMT
Thanks for your cretive insight. The link below shows the result.

Click of this address - then click on the "to read" link (a .pdf file).

http://intellectualarchive.com/?link=item&id=2266

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Feb. 16, 2020 @ 05:43 GMT
Thumbs up, John - the reference to my essay looks good!

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Feb. 19, 2020 @ 05:32 GMT
My reply on this page to Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich addressed the relation of space (spacetime) and matter, spoken of by him and French philosopher/mathematician/scientist Rene Descartes (1596-1650). Today I wish to discuss how that reply fits in with my idea that it's time for a new scientific paradigm. This reply is also indebted to Stephen Kelly (skelly131) of the U.K. who has a Master's...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Feb. 23, 2020 @ 07:34 GMT
FQXi member Sean Carroll (California Institute of Technology) posted an item regarding mathematician William Clifford's 1870 paper "On the Space-Theory of Matter", in which Clifford suggested that matter might be entirely a consequence of local curvature of space (Twitter

). This gives Clifford something in common with Descartes, Einstein, and NON-COMPUTABILITY AND UNPREDICTABILITY ARE SO YESTERDAY: WITH COMPUTABLE AND PREDICTABLE COSMIC STRUCTURE, PLUS IMPLICATIONS FOR MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE, my entry in the 2020 physics/cosmology essay contest of FQXi (essay).

The relation of space (spacetime) and matter was spoken of by French philosopher/mathematician/scientist Rene Descartes (1596-1650). Today I wish to discuss how the space-matter relation fits in with my idea that it's time for a new scientific paradigm. The equivalence of space and matter is something Albert Einstein also believed in. He wrote a paper in 1919 which asked if gravitation plays a role in the composition of elementary particles of matter. This article agrees when, in Vector-Tensor-Scalar Geometry, it talks about gravitational-electromagnetic interaction forming the mass and quantum spin of particles (whether fermion, boson, or Higgs). Since General Relativity states that gravity is nothing more than the result of spacetime's curving, gravity is spacetime and the mass/quantum spin of particles can be regarded as space itself forming matter instead of as gravity playing a role in matter's composition. In other words, we have Descartes’ space-matter relation.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.