Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Rodney Bartlett: on 5/24/20 at 3:12am UTC, wrote Many thanks for your comments, David. It's great that I've got you and Tim...

David Jewson: on 5/23/20 at 15:25pm UTC, wrote Dear Rodney, I just wanted to say thanks for reading my essay. My friend...

Rodney Bartlett: on 5/17/20 at 6:34am UTC, wrote "Farewell to FQXi" Note (I hope someone will be able to present an...

Rodney Bartlett: on 5/10/20 at 5:55am UTC, wrote Information about the version of my FQXi essay which has no character...

Rodney Bartlett: on 5/8/20 at 3:34am UTC, wrote TIME TREK – the 25th century's answer to Star Trek (a 28...

Rodney Bartlett: on 5/3/20 at 6:44am UTC, wrote I find it convenient to list my posts on some other entries here - here's...

Michael muteru: on 4/30/20 at 7:49am UTC, wrote hi Rodney absolutely beautifully illustrated essay.i too concur with your...

Rodney Bartlett: on 4/21/20 at 5:21am UTC, wrote Hi Peter, Things seem to be totally confused on my page at FQXi. I got...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Max? Why?" in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Steve Agnew: "Mueller opens his essay with... "As the argument goes, there are truths..." in Undecidability,...

Steve Dufourny: "Dear Lorraine, :) thanks a lot, I am touched by these words from you, take..." in The Present State of...

Dr Narayan Bhadra: "All the Honourable Scientists are cordially requested to feedback that we..." in Undecidability,...

Stefan Weckbach: "To shortly resume my main points here for a better understanding: I wrote ..." in The Present State of...

Georgina Woodward: "The mass of the lion entity is not divided between different areas of high..." in Anatomy of spacetime and...

Jim Snowdon: "Since evolving on our rapidly rotating planet, we have used it`s rotational..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

Steve Dufourny: "a general universal clock of evolution irreversible correlated for me with..." in The Quantum Clock-Maker...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Quantum Clock-Maker Investigating COVID-19, Causality, and the Trouble with AI
Sally Shrapnel, a quantum physicist and medical practitioner, on her experiments into cause-and-effect that could help us understand time’s arrow—and build better healthcare algorithms.

Connect the Quantum Dots for a New Kind of Fuel
'Artificial atoms' allow physicists to manipulate individual electrons—and could help to reduce energy wastage in electronic devices.

Can Choices Curve Spacetime?
Two teams are developing ways to detect quantum-gravitational effects in the lab.

The Quantum Engine That Simultaneously Heats and Cools
Tiny device could help boost quantum electronics.

The Quantum Refrigerator
A tiny cooling device could help rewrite the thermodynamic rule book for quantum machines.

FQXi FORUM
September 19, 2021

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: NON-COMPUTABILITY AND UNPREDICTABILITY ARE SO YESTERDAY: WITH COMPUTABLE AND PREDICTABLE COSMIC STRUCTURE, PLUS IMPLICATIONS FOR MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE by Rodney Bartlett [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Feb. 2, 2020 @ 12:09 GMT
Essay Abstract

A quote attributed to Albert Einstein points out that intuition is the source of great ideas while mathematics is only intuition's faithful servant. Prior to being assaulted by equations, the two diagrams below immediately show a great similarity between Mercury’s precession and Planet Nine’s effect on the perihelia of several TNOs (Trans Neptunian Objects). On one side of the Sun, Mercury’s orbit displays an ascending pattern while its perihelion on the opposite side of the Sun maintains a constant level. In the second diagram, the TNOs on one side of the Sun show what can be viewed as a (less orderly) ascending or descending pattern. The greatest part of the orbit of the alleged cause of their perihelia being attracted to more-or-less the same point in space (Planet Nine) is on the other side of the Sun. This leads to consequences for the structure of space-time and for the Big Bang, for interstellar travel and radioactive dating, as well as for dark matter and dark energy. The proposed method of interstellar travel also leads to intergalactic travel plus elimination of distance between all points in the past, present, and future. To use a popular term, this is "time travel" which has the potential to remove the electronic and topological construction of the universe described in this article from any supernatural agency. That construction might be the result of presently unimaginable electronics, programming, and mathematics which won't be developed, in the words of astronomer Carl Sagan, until "billions upon billions" of years from now.

Author Bio

Last year, I went back to school … by enrolling in an online astrophysics course conducted by ANU (the Australian National University) and the Internet company edX. The course covered all the subjects taught at ANU to first-year astrophysics students studying on-campus. It really got my brain ticking over, and seems to be the inspiration for many of my thoughts in this essay. So, a big thank you to the two presenters of the course - Professor Paul Francis (he developed the course and its videos), and Professor Brian Schmidt (co-winner of the 2011 Nobel Prize for Physics).

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Feb. 8, 2020 @ 07:44 GMT
I'll open the comments on this page myself - by extracting a few parts from my essay that are relevant to astronaut Christina Koch's record-setting spaceflight. She returned to Earth on Feb. 6 and now holds the record for the longest single spaceflight by any woman. She was on the International Space Station 328 days, made 5248 orbits, and travelled 139 million miles.

First of all -...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

John C Hodge wrote on Feb. 9, 2020 @ 15:05 GMT
Your suggestion that the TNOs orbits (Planet 9) and the Mercury perihelion advance (Vulcan) are related is interesting. What is the celestial orientation of the axis? Do you know of a reference that states this in terms of constellation?

The STOE suggests planet 9 is the same cause as the rotation curves of galaxies (which has been labeled Dark Matter).

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate
Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Feb. 10, 2020 @ 03:54 GMT
As far as I know, Isaac Newton realised that precession wasn't confined to Mercury. It affects all the planets but Mercury has the greatest precession because of its closeness to the Sun. So TNOs must also be affected by advance, or precession, of perihelia. The "celestial orientation of the axis" may be the act of Mercury and the TNOs sharing the universal unified field. There may not be any Planet 9 but a shared gravitational continuum throughout the cosmos (my essay shows how "advanced" plus "retarded" gravitational waves can produce quantum entanglement). After all, Albert Einstein said gravity results from the curves in spacetime - therefore, gravity IS spacetime. To make gravity a truly universal continuum, it should not only be identified with spacetime but also with matter in spacetime. This is done in my essay with gravitational-electromagnetic interaction forming matter's particles via VTS (vector-tensor-scalar) geometry.

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Feb. 10, 2020 @ 04:25 GMT
PS

Wave interaction may not only produce matter but also dark matter. To produce dark matter, the waves would rotate around the Complex Number Plane away from the so-called real spacetime on the x axis and into other dimensions which include the y axis described by so-called imaginary numbers. As they rotate, the crests and troughs of the waves cancel and cause entanglement of the imaginary and real dimensions. This permits them to interact gravitationally. Electromagnetic - and other - interactions become increasingly difficult as the distance of the other dimensions approaches the imaginary axis which is perpendicular to all our perceptions and the detectability of scientific instruments (and thus normally imperceptible and undetectable).

Bookmark and Share

John C Hodge replied on Feb. 10, 2020 @ 22:27 GMT
Yeah, yeah. You didn't answer the question.

Bookmark and Share

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Feb. 11, 2020 @ 11:29 GMT
Dear Rodney Bartlett, one wise man said: “One cannot embrace the immense.” Your essay is an attempt to describe the entire Universe, using all your knowledge that you received from sources known to you. In general, your essay is not bad, but it would be even better if you were familiar with the identity space and matter of Descartes’s , according to which physical space moves, since it is matter. You write: "E = mc ^ 2 tells us that matter possesses energy, so what is known as dark matter would possess what is called dark energy." In my essay you will find that I explained the equivalence formula to those that there is a pressure of the Universe on each corpuscle equal to the flow of force through its closed surface, and I also defined mass as a stream of centrifugal acceleration.

I invite you to discuss my essay, in which I show the successes of the neocartesian generalization of modern physics, based on the identity of Descartes’s space and matter: “The transformation of uncertainty into certainty. The relationship of the Lorentz factor with the probability density of states. And more from a new Cartesian generalization of modern physics. by Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich »

Bookmark and Share
Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Feb. 12, 2020 @ 05:53 GMT
Was it Rene Descartes who said “One cannot embrace the immense.” If it was, I think he should have added: "But in a sincere effort to see science progress, please feel free to attempt to describe the entire Universe (especially when you have an extra 400 years of scientific knowledge to help you)". I've always had a strong feeling that everything in spacetime and the universe must be part of an entangled unification. So my attempt to describe the universe would not merely use knowledge received from sources known to me. It would also use knowledge received from sources unknown to me. Perhaps this sounds mystical and scientifically impossible. But I prefer to think of it as a consequence of science's "entangled unification". Even if my attempt to describe the universe fails to have any impact at all with science, it has already permanently changed the fundamental approach of one person (me) to viewing that universe. As this quote I found on the Internet says, “As one person I cannot change the world, but I can change the world of one person”.

Thank you for inviting me to your excellent essay. I particularly enjoyed the reference to the equivalence of space and matter. This is something Albert Einstein also believed in. He wrote a paper in 1919 which asked if gravitation plays a role in the composition of elementary particles of matter. My essay agrees with this when, in Vector-Tensor-Scalar Geometry, it talks about gravitational-electromagnetic interaction forming the mass and quantum spin of particles (whether fermion, boson, or Higgs). Since General Relativity states that gravity is nothing more than the result of spacetime's curving, gravity is spacetime and the mass/quantum spin of particles can be regarded as space itself forming matter instead of as gravity playing a role in matter's composition. In other words, we have what you called space-matter equivalence.

Bookmark and Share

John C Hodge wrote on Feb. 11, 2020 @ 17:03 GMT
Well, it's bee 10 years since I calculated in celestial coordinate systems.

I'll reference this (your fqxi paper) in my paper.

Bookmark and Share
Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Feb. 12, 2020 @ 04:15 GMT
Sorry I initially forgot to say that I had no reference regarding the question you asked, John. And thanks for saying you'll reference my essay in your excellent paper.

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Feb. 14, 2020 @ 06:37 GMT
I made the following comments on the essay page "Why Can't Y'All See Things My Way" by Joe Fisher. I'd like to keep all my comments on the same page as my essay. Maybe that's got something to do with my being a freakosaurus for neatness and tidiness :-) So I'm going to copy and paste my comments to this page, too -

In the abstract of your essay, you mention "the visible Earth's extinction"...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

John C Hodge wrote on Feb. 16, 2020 @ 02:17 GMT
Thanks for your cretive insight. The link below shows the result.

Click of this address - then click on the "to read" link (a .pdf file).

http://intellectualarchive.com/?link=item&id=2266

Bookmark and Share
Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Feb. 16, 2020 @ 05:43 GMT
Thumbs up, John - the reference to my essay looks good!

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Feb. 19, 2020 @ 05:32 GMT
My reply on this page to Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich addressed the relation of space (spacetime) and matter, spoken of by him and French philosopher/mathematician/scientist Rene Descartes (1596-1650). Today I wish to discuss how that reply fits in with my idea that it's time for a new scientific paradigm. This reply is also indebted to Stephen Kelly (skelly131) of the U.K. who has a Master's...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Feb. 23, 2020 @ 07:34 GMT
FQXi member Sean Carroll (California Institute of Technology) posted an item regarding mathematician William Clifford's 1870 paper "On the Space-Theory of Matter", in which Clifford suggested that matter might be entirely a consequence of local curvature of space (Twitter

). This gives Clifford something in common with Descartes, Einstein, and NON-COMPUTABILITY AND UNPREDICTABILITY ARE SO YESTERDAY: WITH COMPUTABLE AND PREDICTABLE COSMIC STRUCTURE, PLUS IMPLICATIONS FOR MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE, my entry in the 2020 physics/cosmology essay contest of FQXi (essay).

The relation of space (spacetime) and matter was spoken of by French philosopher/mathematician/scientist Rene Descartes (1596-1650). Today I wish to discuss how the space-matter relation fits in with my idea that it's time for a new scientific paradigm. The equivalence of space and matter is something Albert Einstein also believed in. He wrote a paper in 1919 which asked if gravitation plays a role in the composition of elementary particles of matter. This article agrees when, in Vector-Tensor-Scalar Geometry, it talks about gravitational-electromagnetic interaction forming the mass and quantum spin of particles (whether fermion, boson, or Higgs). Since General Relativity states that gravity is nothing more than the result of spacetime's curving, gravity is spacetime and the mass/quantum spin of particles can be regarded as space itself forming matter instead of as gravity playing a role in matter's composition. In other words, we have Descartes’ space-matter relation.

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Feb. 28, 2020 @ 07:19 GMT
Post replying to "It takes a Decision to Decide if Decidability is True or False"(https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3367) by Manfred U.E. Pohl -

I see that our essays have something in common (mine is NON-COMPUTABILITY AND UNPREDICTABILITY ARE SO YESTERDAY: WITH COMPUTABLE AND PREDICTABLE COSMIC STRUCTURE, PLUS IMPLICATIONS FOR MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE: dinosaurs and Einstein). At the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Manfred U.E. Pohl replied on Feb. 28, 2020 @ 22:28 GMT
Dear Rodney,

following your invitation i read your essay (not jet in every detail) but can confirm most of your ideas would cover my ideas too. Yes, there must be an quantum entaglement in solar system that is not fully understood yet. There is research needed not only for Mercurey.

Photon becomes the Graviton in my idea.

To make it short.. i more and more try to explain the phenomenon based on conclusions about the definition of time in the measurement system.

It's not obvious at first hand, but considering Maxwell as theory and Hertz as experimental detaching electromagnetism from matter into space, we in fact need to deal with 3-dimensional "time".

So speed of light in three axis of space:

c(1) = constant (speed of light and frequency of caesium-Atom)

and

c(2) * c(3) * µ(0) * ε(0) = constant (properties of vacuum / ether)

this is kind of a serious problem as following my investigation we therefore use two "times" while one is 2-dimensional (E=mc^2) and one is one-dimensional (E=hf)

but not only this.. those both are inverse proportional so that Energy-scales of Quantum-Theory and General Relativity can't match at all.

The only solution i see:

- define time to be three-dimensional (seconds to be measured as "Meters" of length)

- Investigate Solar System for three-dimensional clock (surface of earth)

using c^3 = constant

instead of using

c(1) = constant and c(2)^2 * µ(0) * ε(0) = constant

would make the µ(0) as well as the gravitational constant a variable limited to surface of earth only while not a constant for universe

(Origin of dark matter is fixed gravitational constant in combination with fixed µ(0))

.. so far my ideas on how to handle the funny setup between general Relativity and Quantum Theory.

Your reasoning seem to be the right way in most aspects.

best,

Manfred

(also postet to "It takes a Decision to Decide if Decidability is True or False")

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Mar. 1, 2020 @ 12:10 GMT
Rodney, "Unless we aim for the stars we'll never get out of this trench!" That could have been Renee as well! Nicely written essay, very interesting and fun to read. Certainly not hidebound by convention! We entirely agree it's time for a paradigm shift, and that cosmic structure can be predictable, up to a point.

You may recall my own ftl space travel, in collimated quasar jets, but with strict practical limitations, derived again from my very foundational main theme in this years.

I also thank you for reminding me of the bit of sense from Hawking; "What the spin of a particle really tells us is what the particle looks like from different directions.", which is consistent with the QM derivation I give in mine (& see my summary in Ronald Racicots posts).

Very well done, marked in for a rather higher score that I suspect the judges may give it!

Very best,

Peter

Bookmark and Share
Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Mar. 2, 2020 @ 06:36 GMT
Thanks for saying my essay is "very well done", Peter. I much appreciate that. I don't think this contest has anything to do with aiming for the stars. The judges only seem to be interested in using the little bit known about science to make life more comfortable in the trench we're in. They apparently don't really believe there could be a science 300 years from now which proves their firmly held...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Manfred U.E. Pohl replied on Mar. 2, 2020 @ 18:11 GMT
"Readers born 50 years from now will appreciate it too (if the Internet isn't transformed so much that all today's posts become unreadable)."

Why so pessimistic. I rate your article as State of the Art.

Don't you believe that it could be faster than 50 years from now... ?

Calculating the answer to life, universe and everything:

“Sun is not center of Solar System”:

http://downloads.theoryofall.org/ManfredPohl_Probl
em_of_time_V.pdf

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Mar. 3, 2020 @ 06:06 GMT
So you think my essay is "State of the Art"? Thank you - I really needed to hear that. Am I being pessimistic? We'll have to wait and see if there's any mention of my essay on the prize list in June. If there is … I was indeed pessimistic. If there isn't … I was realistic.

I haven't had time yet to have a good look at your "Sun is not center of Solar System" (I got distracted by my...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Mar. 3, 2020 @ 05:03 GMT
It's time for a bit of self indulgence - a "selfie post". While some of these ideas made it into my essay, others which I'm equally proud of had to be left out because of the length restriction. I'm putting them in this post and hope you find some interesting thoughts, readers!

The following question was asked on researchgate.net - Could our fine-tuned universe have been created from...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Mar. 5, 2020 @ 11:21 GMT
My 1st reply on this page was to John C. Hodge about Mercury's precession and the possible absence of Planet 9. I just wrote a reply to Dr Karl Kruszelnicki about his article "Putting Einstein to the test - part 2" (for Radio National and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Those things, plus material related to my essay, gave me a lot of ammunition for another selfie-post.

Isaac...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Manfred U.E. Pohl replied on Mar. 10, 2020 @ 16:47 GMT
you wrote "To make gravity a truly universal continuum, it should not only be identified with spacetime but also with the matter in spacetime."

This makes it impossible. As we first must define what we want to measure, it is impossible to indentifie spacetime with matter.

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Mar. 21, 2020 @ 14:26 GMT
Message to EVERYBODY - all members of the public, contestants, judges, those born countless millions of years from now … everyone! For many months, a thought from some lines in my essay has been growing in my brain. Those lines are -

"So-called “time travel” would actually be space travel within the Block Universe where the past, present and future all exist — and are equally real...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Joe William Fisher wrote on Mar. 23, 2020 @ 19:30 GMT
Dear Rodney Bartlett,

FQXi.org has allowed me to upload an updated version of my essay because of the change in the competition submission date. I would appreciate it if you could find the time to read my updated version and perhaps leave a comment about it.

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Mar. 26, 2020 @ 04:26 GMT
THE DOCTORS AND THE CORONAVIRUS - A TALE OF SCIENCE FICTION?

INTRODUCTION

Since diagrams can't be included in these posts, I'll also add this as an attachment.

The Doctor from “Star Trek – Voyager" and 4 other doctors were having a TeleHealth video conference. The other attendees, in alphabetical order by surname, were Julian Bashir from “Star Trek – Deep...

view entire post

attachments: THE_DOCTORS_AND_THE_CORONAVIRUS_-_A_TALE_OF_SCIENCE_FICTION.docx

Bookmark and Share

Michael muteru wrote on Apr. 30, 2020 @ 07:49 GMT
hi Rodney absolutely beautifully illustrated essay.i too concur with your view of the heavens. is it a product of bias ? please review/rate my essay here-https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3525

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on May. 3, 2020 @ 06:44 GMT
I find it convenient to list my posts on some other entries here - here's one.

Dear Prof. Davies,

When I was browsing through this contest's entries and saw the name Paul Davies, I wondered if this could possibly be the well-known physicist. I decided it must be someone who just happens to have the same name. Then I clicked on your entry's title and read your bio. You ARE the famous physicist, after all.

Last year, I sent you an email for some reason (I simply can't remember what it was about). Anyway, you wished me the best. One example of my best is my entry in this contest, NON-COMPUTABILITY AND UNPREDICTABILITY ARE SO YESTERDAY: WITH COMPUTABLE AND PREDICTABLE COSMIC STRUCTURE, PLUS IMPLICATIONS FOR MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE, https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3382

Your Undecidable Universe seems to be the exact opposite of my COMPUTABLE AND PREDICTABLE COSMIC STRUCTURE. Your entry appears to be an excellent example of compatibility with the present interpretation of science's data while my entry seems to be compatible with a new paradigm … a fresh way of understanding that data. If I may borrow from the inside-front-cover of your 1991 book "the matter myth" (cowritten with astrophysicist John Gribbin), this new paradigm can be stated as

"(Future) developments at the frontiers of science are challenging our views about ourselves and the nature of the cosmos as never before."

Nevertheless, I sincerely wish you the best. Whichever of our entries ends up closest to the science accepted in a thousand years, we both have the same purpose - to enjoy the pursuit of scientific truth.

Rodney (Bartlett)

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on May. 8, 2020 @ 03:34 GMT
TIME TREK – the 25th century's answer to Star Trek

(a 28 minute-41 second science-fiction video on YouTube @

TIME TREK)

By Rodney Bartlett

You've heard of Star Trek. Now meet another piece of science fiction of truly epic proportions: "Time Trek".

The story starts with Jesse trying to fit into society, but always failing – both during his high-school years and for many years afterwards. He has an intense interest in reading and thinking about science. John, a scientist he corresponds with, develops a brain implant that allows people to manipulate light. Jesse proposes that implants would no longer require surgical implantation but simply downloading and installation like a program on the Internet because of the pre-existing digital nature of all parts of the universe.

In relation to Quantum Spin, in 1924 the scientist Wolfgang Pauli was the first to propose a doubling of electron states due to a two-valued non-classical "hidden rotation". Extending the ideas of “doubling”, “two-valued” and “hidden rotation” to the Mobius strip being a basic, fundamental unit of reality; it can be seen that Pauli’s proposal has an analogy to Jesse’s thinking. The doubled Mobius strips – each strip is only two dimensional - produced by the two-valued binary-digit system used in electronics can be used to form the universe. The binary digits give that cosmos Artificial Intelligence (AI), and the united Mobius strips create the three-dimensional figure-8 Klein bottles that act as building blocks of space, time, and matter. The bottles possess a hidden rotation, now identified as adaptive Wick rotation, which gives a fourth dimension to space-time. This Wick rotation is consistent with Special Relativity’s slowing of time a.k.a. time dilation because the electromagnetic and gravitational waves composing space-time rotate in a circle. The waves rotate through the vertical y-axis that is home to so-called Dark Matter and the non-expanding universe’s Dark Energy, and back to the horizontal x-axis' space-time. Since quantum mechanics says particles can be in two or more places at once, the photons and gravitons which make up the waves in space-time can be on the x- and y-axes simultaneously and thus interfere with themselves, causing time to slow down.

What kind of program could produce the universe from this AI system of binary digits? A model of the cosmos might be built that uses pi and "imaginary time" to remove all boundaries between the two universes. This enables them to become one Augmented Reality (known now as technology that layers computer-generated enhancements onto an existing reality but seen here as the related layering of virtual reality onto other points in time and space by means of shortcuts through space and time called wormholes). Jesse also proposed that implants could manipulate not only the light but also the matter of this cosmos (this depends on the universe being electronic and holographic in nature). John's lab eventually confirms Jesse's wild ideas.

Now that Jesse has his matter-manipulating implant, he starts experiments which are designed to put his theories on the nature of time to practical use by building the world's first time machine. The machine borrows ideas from a scientist called Max Tegmark – ever heard of him? - and goes one step beyond Jesse's theory enabling intergalactic travel in an instant (instead of the particles in seemingly separate galaxies being in the same place at once, different periods of time exist simultaneously and seem to constitute a multiverse). Jesse and John start fooling around with the idea of actually becoming Jesus and John the Baptist. Because they possess a matter-manipulating brain implant and a time machine, their fooling gets the better of them and they head off to Palestine of 2,000 years ago. Their ship (which looks like a bright star in the sky) breaks in two as they come in for a landing. Jesse used the implant to make him and John into young men but the process didn't stop when planned. It simply kept on going until Jesse was an embryo, and his matter-changing implant impregnated him in a uterus. Months later, Jesse is born to a couple named Mary and Joseph. Before he forgets everything concerning his previous existence, Jesse wonders if John got born somewhere nearby (either nearby in a spatial sense, or in time). He concludes that he did because "... Mary was saying her cousin Elizabeth had a son 6 months ago and named him John." As we all know, John really did lose his head and when Jesus supposedly ascended to heaven after his resurrection, Jesse (having painstakingly and gradually regained his memories) actually returned to the 21st century without the aid of his time machine.

After a while, Jesse had the most incredible idea. First, he flew to the 41st century and downloaded his mind into a nonphysical backup because any physical body was too frail for the rigors that lay ahead. Then he journeyed 14 billion years into the past and launched his project from another universe, where space and time already existed. Using the power of his implant-augmented mind, he mentally simulated electronics and holograms to create this particular universe's Big Bang (along with our space-time). Falling into a reflective mood, Jesse thought of the physicist Stephen Hawking and said: "There you are, Stephen. Forget quantum fluctuation and all those other laws of science - that's how something came from nothing, and why there is something rather than nothing. It's all a result of me and my vivid imagination." He thought of himself as the Son of Man and wondered why humans took so many thousands of years to realize their awesome potential. He also thought of himself as the Son of God because cosmic unification meant that an omniscient, omnipresent Artificial Intelligence called God must exist, and it meant humanity must be united with God.

------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on May. 10, 2020 @ 05:55 GMT
Information about the version of my FQXi essay which has no character limits. It was posted on ResearchGate as a preprint and the info has been copied from my ORCID page.

A New Paradigm Of An Artificially Intelligent, Augmented-Reality Universe Based On Electronics And Topology Gives Insights Into The Dimensions Of Dark Matter And Dark Energy, Newton's Theology In The 21st...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on May. 17, 2020 @ 06:34 GMT
"Farewell to FQXi" Note (I hope someone will be able to present an acceptable version of this new paradigm before 2100)

Although science is not supposed to be decided by popular opinion, all science (even including things like physics and maths), seems to end up conforming to the prevailing views of physicists and mathematicians of the past and present i.e. to what is popular among scientists of the time. Small advances will be welcomed, but anything truly revolutionary will be ignored since it doesn't agree with whatever is currently popular in science.

As physicist Max Planck said in his autobiography written in the middle of last century (I don't remember the exact words) - scientific progress doesn't happen because a new theory convinces scientists but because those scientists die and a new generation can see its truth and accept it.

Of course, there are exceptions to this general rule. In his 1988 book "Coming of Age in the Milky Way", Prof. Timothy Ferris wrote that Max Planck (who was editor of the journal "Annalen der Physik" - to which Albert Einstein submitted his Special Relativity in 1905) was one of the few people in the world who understood the importance of Einstein's Special Relativity Theory. Prof. Ferris also wrote in that book how Special Relativity would NOT be published by any journal today. Neither would quantum mechanics. Physicist John Wheeler once told Max Tegmark those early theories were speculative: and science journals today shy away from speculation.

Bookmark and Share

David Jewson wrote on May. 23, 2020 @ 15:25 GMT
Dear Rodney,

I just wanted to say thanks for reading my essay. My friend Tim Howes is your number one fan and is full of similar interesting and novel ideas. Your ideas about time travel are just mind-blowing! I was particularly interested in your ideas on Mobius strips and Klein bottles - and have had a great time investigating Klein bottles a bit further.

So, your speculative ideas are certainly are making me and Tim think!

All the best,

David

Bookmark and Share
Author Rodney Bartlett replied on May. 24, 2020 @ 03:12 GMT
Many thanks for your comments, David. It's great that I've got you and Tim thinking - the two of you have activated my thinking, too.

All the best, Rodney

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.