Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation

Previous Contests

Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest
December 24, 2019 - April 24, 2020
Contest Partners: Fetzer Franklin Fund, and The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Domenico Oricchio: on 5/9/20 at 11:52am UTC, wrote Thank you for reading my essay, and for constructive criticism. I was...

Jonathan Dickau: on 5/7/20 at 19:18pm UTC, wrote I am back to say thank you... Your essay was enjoyable. I can't give you...

Domenico Oricchio: on 4/29/20 at 21:42pm UTC, wrote Thank you for reading my essay. I am busy in these days, I will take - in...

Michael muteru: on 4/28/20 at 19:00pm UTC, wrote hello there thanks for the dialogue. nice work there.i presume that's a...

Domenico Oricchio: on 4/22/20 at 16:14pm UTC, wrote Thanks for reading my essay. Domenico

Peter Jackson: on 4/20/20 at 18:11pm UTC, wrote Domenico, A great bit of light relief, thanks, but an interesting point,...

Wilhelmus de Wilde: on 3/26/20 at 9:10am UTC, wrote Dear Domenico, I uploaded a new version of my essay, however, the title...

Jonathan Dickau: on 1/31/20 at 16:11pm UTC, wrote I have found Paola's work inspirational... I think she is...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "ps the clifford algebras also are important in my theory, the aim being to..." in Is Causality Fundamental?

Steve Dufourny: "what I find relevant is that he try to unify the electromagnetism and this..." in Is Causality Fundamental?

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Mr Snowdon, I beleive indeed that there is a link with the rotations of..." in The Nature of Time

Jim Snowdon: "Hi Steve, We are inclined to assume that time exists, as the..." in The Nature of Time

Steve Dufourny: "I repeat this simple general intuitive idea, what are your thoughts? .... ..." in Undecidability,...

Steve Dufourny: "You know Tejinder, I don t want to destroy the works of strings theorists,..." in Undecidability,...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Lockdown Lab Life
Grounded physicists are exploring the use of online and virtual-reality conferencing, and AI-controlled experiments, to maintain social distancing. Post-pandemic, these positive innovations could make science more accessible and environmentally-friendly.

Is Causality Fundamental?
Untangling how the human perception of cause-and-effect might arise from quantum physics, may help us understand the limits and the potential of AI.

Building Agency in the Biology Lab
Physicists are using optogenetics techniques to make a rudimentary agent, from cellular components, which can convert measurements into actions using light.

Think Quantum to Build Better AI
Investigating how quantum memory storage could aid machine learning and how quantum interactions with the environment may have played a role in evolution.

Outside the Box
A proposed quantum set-up that could predict your game-playing strategy resurrects Newcomb’s classic quiz show paradox.

FQXi FORUM
August 4, 2020

CATEGORY: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability Essay Contest (2019-2020) [back]
TOPIC: Barber or not barber? by Domenico Oricchio [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Domenico Oricchio wrote on Jan. 7, 2020 @ 17:54 GMT
Essay Abstract

I think that quantum computers could solve Gödel's incompleteness theorems

Author Bio

graduation: mechanical engineering degree: physics thesis: deterministic neural network and fuzzy neural netwoek master: advanced technology in communication and information research: -Genova,fractal dimensionality and experimental discrete equation -Marina di Ravenna, fluid dynamic and bacteria grow equation -Vietri sul mare, fluido dynamic model applied to soil pollution and associate bioremediation -Manchester (interrupted), Natural Gradient Descent and Indipendent Component Analysis

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Author Domenico Oricchio wrote on Jan. 8, 2020 @ 14:20 GMT
I wanted to withdraw the essay: I thought that Kurt had joked with me.

But, in a profound sense, any quantum calculation involving the negation of a claim, in the form that Kurt presented me, give quantum contradiction in amplitude, and sometime in probability.

I am thinking that this contradiction is true for each quantum calculus, with feedbacks, or loops.

So it is possible that there is some truth in the claims.

Bookmark and Share

Author Domenico Oricchio wrote on Jan. 8, 2020 @ 14:21 GMT
Each quantum eigenstate of the unitary matrix, that give the dynamic of the quantum computer, has eigenvalue with modulus one. So that there is often a amplitude dynamic for the quantum computer. Each complex linear combintation of eigenstates give a unitary dynamic that is a complex linear combination with the same eigenstates that rotate in a complex plane (like a Fourier series).

Bookmark and Share

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Jan. 16, 2020 @ 16:49 GMT
Dear Dominico Oricchio

Dominico hairdresser

Dominiko is not a hairdresser - he wrote an essay on the FQXi contest

We leave the hairdresser and look for a hairdresser in her neighborhood

We find a hairdresser and return him to the hairdresser.

Nature is afraid of emptiness, claimed the ancient philosophers.

Nature is not afraid of emptiness, Newton said and placed bodies in emptiness.

I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of a giant, he said about Descartes, who claimed that nature is afraid of emptiness.

Newton said space is a container of bodies.

No, Descartes said, space is matter that instantly fills the voids that can be formed in it by the will of God.

Now they say that in the world there is no movement speed greater than the speed of light, which means that the void does not disappear instantly, i.e. there is a void, but at the same time it is not. There is no instantaneous speed, but there is the speed of light. It follows from this that space moves at a speed no greater than the speed of light, since it is matter.

Dear Dominico Oricchio, I invite you to discuss some aspects

The neo-Cartesian generalization of modern physics, which I set out in my essay: “The transformation of uncertainty into certainty. The relationship of the Lorentz factor with the probability density of states. And more from a new Cartesian generalization of modern physics. by Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich ". By the way, the probability density of the states of matter in it depends on the speed of its motion.

Sincerely, Boris Dzhechko.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate
Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich replied on Jan. 24, 2020 @ 19:14 GMT
Dear Dominico Oricchio, a hairdresser, is it not enough for you that a neocartesian generalization of modern physics has revealed a connection between the Lorentz factor and the probability density of atomic states, and also explained the formula of masses - energy of equivalence by the existence of pressure of the Universe on a corpuscle? Already these two facts are the greatest achievements of neocartesian physics, based on the identity of space and matter of Descartes. In order to continue to talk with you, you must show that you have acquired this identity and realized that space is matter, and it moves, since it is matter. And then we’ll talk about the Dirac and Klein – Gordon equations. I think that this will not be soon. All the best to you!

Boris Dizhechko

Bookmark and Share

Author Domenico Oricchio replied on Jan. 24, 2020 @ 22:33 GMT
I also think that this is sufficient both for me and for you.

Domenico

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Jan. 29, 2020 @ 16:13 GMT
A bit of comedy perhaps?

That is not so bad. But it was too brief or inconclusive. Your essay is at least thought-provoking. You seem to be hinting at what Paola Zizzi calls para-consistent logic, and her research explains the emergence of spacetime in terms of logic gates, in a recent paper. You might want to check her work out. I will come back later, if I have something constructive to say.

Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share
Author Domenico Oricchio replied on Jan. 29, 2020 @ 20:00 GMT
Thank your for your comment, and constructive criticism: I will report to Kurt.

I am reading the Paola Zizzi - Computability at the Plank scale; it is interesting , from the abstract, the idea of computability but not decidable.

Domenico

Bookmark and Share

Author Domenico Oricchio replied on Jan. 29, 2020 @ 22:08 GMT
Zizzi write a standard article, with many interesting consideration.

The absence of biunivocity between quantum calculus and real quantum system.

The idea of a fuzzyness of the space-time.

The inner observer has a paraconsisten logic, a logic without contradictions.

That the quantum calculus to the Plank scale lie a quantum algorithm.

The Deutsch idea that the physical law are quantum Turing machine in the space-time.

The quantum system use physical law for the evolution, so that each program is computable.

Here I read the interesting idea, that in the first Godel’s incompleteness theorem is different in Plank scale: the theorems are proven but not observable as true, due to the internal non-observability of the truth value.

Results almost similar to mine, but with a superior quality of writing and depth.

Thanks for the reading suggestion

Domenico

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on Jan. 31, 2020 @ 16:11 GMT
I have found Paola's work inspirational...

I think she is under-appreciated, but has been a beacon of light for the quantum age. According to Seth Lloyd; it was she who first coined the term "It from qubit" that is now very popular, but the field has left her behind. Perhaps a few years from now, once they catch up, folks will learn she started out 25 years ahead of her time.

Not all of her work is spot-on, but there is great value in reading what she has set out, and using it as the basis for further reasoning. It makes me wish I knew more category theory, for one. But I think her 'sequent calculus' is a very apt way to describe quantum-mechanical interactions. One almost has to assume reality is inside-out, to get QM right, but using the right logic also works.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde wrote on Mar. 26, 2020 @ 09:10 GMT
Dear Domenico,

I uploaded a new version of my essay, however, the title remained.

Wilhelmus de Wilde re-uploaded the file Wilde_THE_COMPLETELY_UNKNOW.pdf for the essay entitled "THE COMPLETELY UNKNOWN" on 2020-03-25 10:48:58 UTC.

IN MY ESSAY I argue that it will not only be Godel's Completeness Theorems that will be solved but also maybe the creation of Artificial Consciousness.

Thank you

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Apr. 20, 2020 @ 18:11 GMT
Domenico,

A great bit of light relief, thanks, but an interesting point, nice to see expressed. Of course I posit the exact opposite! That Aristotle needs updating now we know atoms ARE divisible, and quantum computers then won't prove Kurt wrong! I j hope you'll read & comment.

Thanks for yours, I think it deserves a rather higher score, but it's probably been hit with 1's as mine has. At least they can only do HALF the Boolean pair!

very best

Peter

Bookmark and Share
Author Domenico Oricchio replied on Apr. 22, 2020 @ 16:14 GMT
Thanks for reading my essay.

Domenico

Bookmark and Share

Michael muteru wrote on Apr. 28, 2020 @ 19:00 GMT
hello there thanks for the dialogue. nice work there.i presume that's a new way of discourse.. wonderful old see and rate how anthropic bias ate into physics in my essay -https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3525.thanks

Bookmark and Share
Author Domenico Oricchio replied on Apr. 29, 2020 @ 21:42 GMT
Thank you for reading my essay.

I am busy in these days, I will take - in the future - a day to read, vote and eventually comment every essay (if the essays are interesting).

Domenico

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on May. 7, 2020 @ 19:18 GMT
I am back to say thank you...

Your essay was enjoyable. I can't give you full credit because your English is too poor and your writing fragmented. But you get high marks for getting the right answer. Indeed; assigning probabilities in truth tables for all premises would allow a truer representation of reality. So you told the simple truth simply.

Quantum computing can or could do this. I am exploring a similar angle to develop subjective search and sort algorithms using the octonions. I'd rather meet R2-D2 and C3P0 one day, than have strong AI develop into strong arm robots like the Terminators. Avoiding that outcome calls for more subtlety of judgment I think, on the part of the machines we build.

Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share
Author Domenico Oricchio replied on May. 9, 2020 @ 11:52 GMT
Thank you for reading my essay, and for constructive criticism.

I was trying to play in language to solve the self-reference problem using quantum logic, quantum computer, but it seems that this is impossible with quantum logic; unless building particular logic gates.

Saluti

Domenico

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.