Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Steve Agnew: on 1/30/20 at 5:00am UTC, wrote ...oh well...might as well say it... There is no such thing as...

Amrit Sorli: on 1/29/20 at 15:37pm UTC, wrote This is a very good grant. I will send my proposal in a few days: ...

Amelia smith: on 1/28/20 at 5:57am UTC, wrote nice

John Cox: on 1/1/20 at 23:21pm UTC, wrote Lorraine, maybe wring out the old year? Get a fresh start, and try to...

Lorraine Ford: on 1/1/20 at 22:42pm UTC, wrote Yeah, I think "wring" is correct. As in "squeeze and twist" the New Year...

Lorraine Ford: on 1/1/20 at 22:36pm UTC, wrote So, where do you go when you die? Answer: nowhere. What has died is the...

Lorraine Ford: on 1/1/20 at 11:10am UTC, wrote "Wring" or "ring" in the New Year? :-)

John Cox: on 12/31/19 at 20:48pm UTC, wrote Way to wring in the New Year, Lorraine :-) jrc Particle, know thyself!

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Eckard Blumschein: "Robert and Malcom, See me itinerant and a bit worried by Feynman’s..." in The Quantum Agent

Peter Morgan: "That's not what the preview showed! Grrrrr. Aaaaannnnndddd I can't edit it...." in An algebraic approach to...

Peter Morgan: "I have to hope that better understanding the relationship between the..." in An algebraic approach to...

John Wilson: "Hi Malcolm, Thanks for reading some of my paper, I really appreciate it. ..." in Alternative Models of...

Malcolm Riddoch: "Steve Agnew: “I hope this will be useful to you and I do encourage your..." in Alternative Models of...

Amrit Sorli: "BB cosmology has some troubles. I think that it will not last for a long..." in Alternative Models of...

Joe Fisher: "A visible person could dig or bore a fixed hole with visible sides in a..." in The Quantum Agent

Joe Fisher: "The most compelling evidence that the ability of white men of only being..." in Undecidability,...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Quantum Agent
Investigating how the quantum measurement process might be related to the emergence of intelligence, agency and free will.

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

FQXi BLOGS
February 27, 2020

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Consciousness in the Physical World: Call for Proposals [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator David Sloan wrote on Dec. 28, 2019 @ 16:56 GMT
We're happy to announce that we are opening a call for proposals to focus on 'Consciousness in the Physical World'. Generously supported by the Fetzer Franklin Fund, we're looking for ideas coming from a broad range of scientists on the nature of consciousness and what makes for a conscious agent.

Following on from our calls on intelligence and agency, this time the focus on consciousness aims to promote the use of the large swath of recently developed tools and ideas to look for new insights.

The complete timeline is available, together with an FAQ and some examples of ideas and questions.

We have around $1.8 million in total funding available, so get your thoughts and ideas together, build a proposal and head over to the application form.

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

Joe William Fisher wrote on Dec. 29, 2019 @ 20:10 GMT
Dear Dr. Sloan,

After the finite question: “What does actual invisible white male human consciousness in the real visible physical world consist of?” had been entered into the visible Google Search Engine, it elicited: “About 23,900,000 (supposedly finite) results (0.83 (finite) seconds)” Please do try to understand that Nature could have permanently provided only ONE visible reality, and that permanent visible reality preceded human existence on Earth, and of course, Natural visible reality will survive human extinction. Nature provided only ONE INFINITE visible surface eternally occurring in ONE INFINITE dimension while always mostly being illuminated by ONE INFINITE form of finite non-surface light.

Joe Fisher, Visible Realist

Bookmark and Share

Lorraine Ford wrote on Dec. 30, 2019 @ 21:28 GMT
What a bloody waste of time and money this is. And no doubt the usual pack of well-credentialled halfwits, that believe that knowledge of the surroundings can miraculously arise from non-knowledge of the surroundings, will put in a submission. Only those stupid enough to believe in miracles need apply.

Clearly, the most primitive and necessary aspect of consciousness is knowing the surrounding situation. So, at the particle level, this knowledge is of: 1) categories i.e. variables i.e. relationships (what physics represents with law of nature equations); and 2) what physics represents with the subjective point of view numbers that apply to these categories.

Consciousness is a thing with content. You can’t get categories of information out of non-categories. It’s a simple as that.

Bookmark and Share

Lorraine Ford replied on Dec. 30, 2019 @ 21:48 GMT
Correction: It’s as simple as that.

Bookmark and Share

John R. Cox replied on Dec. 31, 2019 @ 20:48 GMT
Way to wring in the New Year, Lorraine :-) jrc

Particle, know thyself!

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

Lorraine Ford replied on Jan. 1, 2020 @ 11:10 GMT
"Wring" or "ring" in the New Year? :-)

Bookmark and Share

Lorraine Ford wrote on Jan. 1, 2020 @ 22:36 GMT
So, where do you go when you die? Answer: nowhere. What has died is the higher-level organisation, not the particles, atoms and molecules. The consciousness has not died: only the higher-level organisation of consciousness that has extracted higher-level information by analysing masses of lower-level information. The lower-level information, i.e. the lower-level consciousness, is still there. There is necessarily a continuity of information from the lower levels (i.e. particles, atoms, molecules) to the higher levels (i.e. living things).

Bookmark and Share

Amelia smith smith wrote on Jan. 28, 2020 @ 05:57 GMT
nice

Bookmark and Share

Amrit Srecko Sorli wrote on Jan. 29, 2020 @ 15:37 GMT
This is a very good grant. I will send my proposal in a few days:

Integration of Life and Consciousness into Cosmology.

attachments: Integration_of_Life_and_Consciousness_into_Cosmology_.pdf

Bookmark and Share

Steve Agnew wrote on Jan. 30, 2020 @ 05:00 GMT
...oh well...might as well say it...

There is no such thing as consciousness since the word has no meaning other than a conscious state in the medical sense.

The very essence of consciousness is free choice since clearly, consciousness means first of all the freedom to choose an outcome based on feeling. Therefore, free choice is a very good definition for consciousness because free choice has a simple meaning as opposed to the many complex and contradictory meanings for consciousness.

Obviously, I am in a minority here...but someone has to say it...consciousness is without meaning...

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.