Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Lorraine Ford: on 1/15/20 at 22:02pm UTC, wrote Re "I tend to speed-read then review before scoring after reading a good...

sherman jenkins: on 1/6/20 at 4:05am UTC, wrote In a galaxy not so very far away, on a water planet in near orbit around a...

John Cox: on 12/28/19 at 18:14pm UTC, wrote I'll second that! Rick. Politics is one thing and a secret ballot is...

John Cox: on 12/28/19 at 18:10pm UTC, wrote Happy New Year, Georgina, and I think you'll probably like the most...

Rick Lockyer: on 12/28/19 at 15:58pm UTC, wrote A suggestion this time around: no anonymous voting.

Georgina Woodward: on 12/26/19 at 0:48am UTC, wrote Good topic choice.

David Sloan: on 12/24/19 at 22:34pm UTC, wrote At FQXi we're excited to launch our latest essay contest, with generous...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Robert McEachern: "It is unfortunate that there is no easy way to "show all replies", so that..." in Alternative Models of...

Malcolm Riddoch: "@Robert, sorry this forum software is rather obtuse and I couldn't find..." in Alternative Models of...

John Cox: "Lorraine, I briefly described the relationship of mass to inertia..." in Emergent Reality: Markus...

Lorraine Ford: "John, I would say that you need to think what you mean by “physical..." in Emergent Reality: Markus...

Lorraine Ford: "Re "I tend to speed-read then review before scoring after reading a good..." in Undecidability,...

John Cox: "George, We shouldn't conflate contradiction with inconsistency. QM has a..." in Watching the Watchmen:...

John Cox: "Georgi, by and large I agree. Near the end of the discussion panel,..." in Watching the Watchmen:...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi BLOGS
January 22, 2020

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability - FQXi's New Essay Contest [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator David Sloan wrote on Dec. 24, 2019 @ 22:34 GMT
At FQXi we're excited to launch our latest essay contest, with generous support from the Fetzer Franklin Fund and the Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation. The topic for this contest is: Undecidability, Uncomputability, and Unpredictability.

For a brief time in history, it was possible to imagine that a sufficiently advanced intellect could, given sufficient time and resources, in principle understand how to mathematically prove everything that was true. They could discern what math corresponds to physical laws, and use those laws to predict anything that happens before it happens. That time has passed. Gödel’s undecidability results (the incompleteness theorems), Turing’s proof of non-computable values, the formulation of quantum theory, chaos, and other developments over the past century have shown that there are rigorous arguments limiting what we can prove, compute, and predict. While some connections between these results have come to light, many remain obscure, and the implications are unclear. Are there, for example, real consequences for physics — including quantum mechanics — of undecidability and non-computability? Are there implications for our understanding of the relations between agency, intelligence, mind, and the physical world?

In this essay contest, we open the floor for investigations of such connections, implications, and speculations. We invite rigorous but bold and open-minded investigation of the meaning of these impossibilities for reality, and for us, its residents. The contest is open now, and we will be accepting entries until March 16th.

Note: Despite a slight slip on the contest page, we aren't looking at time travel for essay entries! The real timeline is available which might be more helpful to those who don't have access to a flux capacitor.

Bookmark and Share
post approved

Georgina Woodward wrote on Dec. 26, 2019 @ 00:48 GMT
Good topic choice.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

John R. Cox replied on Dec. 28, 2019 @ 18:10 GMT
Happy New Year, Georgina,

and I think you'll probably like the most recently listed call for proposals; Consciousness in the Physical World. best jrc

Bookmark and Share

Rick Lockyer wrote on Dec. 28, 2019 @ 15:58 GMT
A suggestion this time around: no anonymous voting.

Bookmark and Share

John R. Cox replied on Dec. 28, 2019 @ 18:14 GMT
I'll second that! Rick. Politics is one thing and a secret ballot is essential to democratic due process of law, but science is not the place for politics. jrc

Bookmark and Share

sherman loran jenkins wrote on Jan. 6, 2020 @ 04:05 GMT
In a galaxy not so very far away, on a water planet in near orbit around a yellow dwarf star; as the beings there became conscious that the vacuum was not a great void but was clear crystalline mass; mysteries of science and life began to disappear.

Bookmark and Share

Lorraine Ford wrote on Jan. 15, 2020 @ 22:02 GMT
Re "I tend to speed-read then review before scoring after reading a good number (so may comment again)", Peter Jackson's comment on Madonna-Megara Morgana-Helena Holloway's essay, https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3364 :

I don't think it is appropriate to mention scoring an essay AT ALL.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.