Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Chris Roger: on 7/18/18 at 17:06pm UTC, wrote Hi, thanks for your nice article. It's really detailed and helpful gmail...

Thomas Riley: on 7/5/18 at 3:38am UTC, wrote I wish I saw this information sooner - roll the ball -

peter prism: on 7/4/18 at 21:35pm UTC, wrote If you are facing any issue in the antivirus software then you can contact...

funny jokes: on 6/29/18 at 7:09am UTC, wrote I have been seeking information on this topic for the past few hours and...

Mason Carl: on 6/9/18 at 7:30am UTC, wrote thanks for this post. A good read

kelsey johnson: on 6/4/18 at 9:24am UTC, wrote The exposition itself is all around ok composed that it is misleadingly...

robert owah: on 5/31/18 at 13:46pm UTC, wrote .. We produce Real database registered documents which are legally use...

Steve Dufourny: on 5/25/18 at 6:21am UTC, wrote Hello all, Congratulations to winners and thanks to FQXi for this...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Perhaps I can word that more clearly. The human observer's self generated..." in Breaking the Universe's...

Georgina Woodward: "The effective reference frame in perceptual judgments of motion direction...." in Breaking the Universe's...

Jonathan Dickau: "Sorry again... I should have read more of the linked attachment before..." in If the world ended...

Jonathan Dickau: "Sorry, Some of these arguments appear vacuous, or depend on hidden..." in If the world ended...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Joe Fisher: "Robert Lawrence Kuhn ℅ Closer To Truth November 17, 2018 Ref: Get out..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Zimmer man: "Excellent and useful information, thanks for the list. androdumpper apk..." in Neutrino mysteries,...

Edwin Knox: "The genuine Earth had a genuine VISIBLE surface for many years previously..." in Superhuman: Book Review...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

Constructing a Theory of Life
An all-encompassing framework of physics could help to explain the evolution of consciousness, intelligence, and free will.

Usurping Quantum Theory
The search is on for a fundamental framework that allows for even stranger links between particles than quantum theory—which could lead us to a theory of everything.

Fuzzballs v Black Holes
A radical theory replaces the cosmic crunchers with fuzzy quantum spheres, potentially solving the black-hole information paradox and explaining away the Big Bang and the origin of time.

Whose Physics Is It Anyway? Q&A with Chanda Prescod-Weinstein
Why physics and astronomy communities must take diversity issues seriously in order to do good science.

FQXi BLOGS
November 21, 2018

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: What Is Fundamental? – Winners Roll [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Brendan Foster wrote on May. 14, 2018 @ 16:02 GMT
Rho Ophiuchus Photo By Rogelio Bernal Andreo - http://blog.deepskycolors.com
There may be no better question for FQXi to ask then, What Is “Fundamental”? We asked this question last October for our latest essay contest, and over 200 deep-thinkers sent us their ideas.

You might agree with what they have said, or you might not.

It is now time to reveal all the answers! — or, I mean, reveal all the winners.

Let me first thank our sponsors, for making the contest possible. The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation have long been a great help, and The Fetzer Franklin Fund has joined us in our ongoing Agency in the Physical World program. Thanks also to our panel of judges for their diligence. And thank you to all of you who took the time to answer our question and write us an essay.

Here we go with the winners, to be revealed as the day goes on. You can follow along as well, on Twitter, @FQXi —

This year we have two special prizes to announce.

An award for Creative Writing ($1,000) goes to Mozibur Ullah and his dialogue, Socrates, Atoms, and Being.

And an award for a Student Author ($1,000) goes to Aditya Dwarkesh, for ’Fundamentality' as a Linguistic Paradigm (and Linguistics as a Fundamental Paradigm).

Next, we have our Fourth Prize Winners. These will all receive $1,000. In first-name alphabetical order, we have:

Ian Durham, Bell's Theory of Beables and the Concept of ‘Universe'

Ken Wharton, Fundamental Is Non-Random

Marc Séguin, Fundamentality Here, Fundamentality There, Fundamentality Everywhere

Markus Mueller, Mind Before Matter: Reversing the Arrow of Fundamentality

Tejinder Singh, Things, Laws, and the Human Mind

Next, we have the Third Prize Winners. Each essay will receive $2,000. We have:

Gregory Derry, Fundamentality, Explanation, and the Unity of Science

Karen Crowther, When do we stop digging? Conditions on a fundamental theory of physics

Sabine Hossenfelder, The Case for Strong Emergence

Sean Carroll and Ashmeet Singh, Mad-Dog Everettianism: Quantum Mechanics at Its Most Minimal.

And now, for our Second Prize Winners. Our panel felt that each of these was all-around excellent quality, and chose to award each one a full $5,000. We have:

Alyssa Ney, The Politics of Fundamentality

Dean Rickles, Of Lego and Layers (and Fundamentalism)

Matt Leifer, Against Fundamentalism.

And now finally, we have our top winner. Last year, you may recall our panel could not decide between three essays for first. This year, they unanimously agreed on one entry. We are pleased to award the $10,000 First Prize to:

Emily Adlam, Fundamental?

Congratulations to all our winners. Here’s looking forward to the next contest. On behalf of FQXi, thanks to all of you for reading along.

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on May. 14, 2018 @ 22:33 GMT
Thank you Brendan...

Congratulations to all of the winners! I might be more gracious if I saw some of my friends and colleagues among the winners, because I see the winners' circle is heavily weighted with FQXi members, but I personally enjoyed several of the essays selected, so it gratifies me to see those entries win. There were so many excellent entries, including some I liked better, but all of the winners deserve to be lauded for their excellent efforts.

As for myself; I am thankful for the opportunity to present and discuss my work on this forum. Knowing that what I have been cooking up is a fully quantum mechanical theory of gravitation, which reproduces the predictions of Newton and Einstein in the short to mid range, and which falls off at extreme cosmic distances as with DGP or Cascading gravity theories; I am confident the work will prove its worth.

It will probably be 'discovered' by some well-known researcher, a few years from now, and be hailed as a great advance in our learning. Leonard Susskind has been wearing a T-shirt with 'I (Mandelbrot Set) Complexity' on it, and he recently wrote describing gravity as the complexity limit - which is the same Misiurewicz point I highlight in my essay and elsewhere - so he is likely to be credited. But when the 'great advance' is hailed, I can clearly show I had the essential insight years before.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on May. 15, 2018 @ 04:20 GMT
For those who are interested...

Why do Things Fall?

by Leonard Susskind

Compare with the comments in this reference...

Misiurewicz Point of the Logistic Map

by Clint Sprott

Note that the band merging point in the bifurcation diagram is the place of maximal probability density. This behavior is also seen in the Mandelbrot Set, as was pointed out in my essay.

Regards,

JJD

Bookmark and Share

John R. Cox wrote on May. 15, 2018 @ 15:49 GMT
Congratulations, Dr. Adlam. Well deserved.

and to Brendan and all on the FQXi panel, I think this was a good choice given the parameters and judging categorization.

The essay itself is well enough written that it is deceptively casual in general tone, but really condenses such nuance and breadth of diverse knowledge that a careful reading is required to appreciate the topics addressed. And I personally find it refreshing that the panel is accepting of thoughtful arguments of realism beyond the common credo of quantum criteria.

On page 2 Dr. Adlam synopsizes from theorems of Kochen-Specker, and Spekkens; "it is not possible to come up with models for a reality underlying quantum mechanics where certain key structural symmetries of the mathematical formalism are preserved on the ontological level." which says so much that it begs question of formalism itself. But if we are correct enough in our math which obtains an irrational value for 'pi', then at least continual change of structure would be perhaps inevitable. Objective chance may result but not necessarily be the sole fundament of randominity. The formality of mathematically defining an energy quantity determinant of spherical volume would be subject to a morphology of structural change in reality, but randomness may come from the universe simply not always operating perfectly. jrc

Bookmark and Share

Terry Bollinger wrote on May. 16, 2018 @ 05:34 GMT
Dr Adlam,

As a fellow contestant, congratulations on your win! I regret not having read your essay earlier, owing to the large number of entries this year.

Your essay is highly readable, with a truly delightful starting anecdote. It is exceedingly well researched, and rich in history and references relevant to the word "fundamental." I like also that you directly addressed the core...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Lorraine Ford wrote on May. 19, 2018 @ 02:07 GMT
As is usual with physicists, first prize winner Emily Adlam seems to have a rather misguided and superficial view of “what sorts of things need explaining” [1].

1. Re “. . . We physicists are fond of mathematics. . .”:

The universe sustains fundamental-level relationships so regular that we can represent them as mathematical equations: you can bet your life on them (e.g. if...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on May. 19, 2018 @ 14:56 GMT
Many thanks to the Foundational Questions Institute for the opportunity to participate in very interesting contests on fundamental issues of science. Ten years have passed since the first Сontest of the FQXi. It would be good to collect in one place (in the form of a table) on the FQXi's portal all the basic ideas of participants in all contests.

Sincerely,

Vladimir Rogozhin

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on May. 25, 2018 @ 06:21 GMT
Hello all,

Congratulations to winners and thanks to FQXi for this Platform which permits us to show to others the works in transparence.Congratulation also Mrs Adlam,

spherically yours :) from Belgium

Bookmark and Share

Mason Carl wrote on Jun. 9, 2018 @ 07:30 GMT
thanks for this post. A good read

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.