Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Cristi Stoica: on 12/8/08 at 5:45am UTC, wrote Dear Dr. Suresh, I read your essay and liked it. You present a very...

suresh: on 11/26/08 at 14:58pm UTC, wrote Thank you for your comments. I am trying to catch up with the postings....

Venerando: on 11/25/08 at 21:54pm UTC, wrote Hello Suresh, It was agreeable for me to read your rigorous and deep essay...

Suresh V Kamath: on 11/24/08 at 9:07am UTC, wrote Essay Abstract What is Time?. We do not have any clear and concise...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Georgina Woodward: "Just shutting up and calculating won't do. The steps are; correctly..." in Space-time from Collapse...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Georgina Woodward: "Specifically identifying and naming the issue is a significant advance. It..." in Space-time from Collapse...

Steven Andresen: "Anybody got the inside word on the theme for this years essay contest? ..." in Alternative Models of...

john smith: "It's a new thing for my knowledge I am looking for the same I recently..." in Neutrino mysteries,...

Elina Williams: "Technology is becoming an integral part of our life. From handheld devices..." in Manipulating the Quantum...

Jena Somerhalder: "Hello! I must say this post is very interesting for reading. I found there..." in Time in Physics & Entropy...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

Constructing a Theory of Life
An all-encompassing framework of physics could help to explain the evolution of consciousness, intelligence, and free will.

Usurping Quantum Theory
The search is on for a fundamental framework that allows for even stranger links between particles than quantum theory—which could lead us to a theory of everything.

Fuzzballs v Black Holes
A radical theory replaces the cosmic crunchers with fuzzy quantum spheres, potentially solving the black-hole information paradox and explaining away the Big Bang and the origin of time.

Whose Physics Is It Anyway? Q&A with Chanda Prescod-Weinstein
Why physics and astronomy communities must take diversity issues seriously in order to do good science.

FQXi FORUM
November 13, 2018

CATEGORY: The Nature of Time Essay Contest (2008) [back]
TOPIC: Nature of Time in Physical Theories by Suresh V Kamath [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Suresh V Kamath wrote on Nov. 24, 2008 @ 09:07 GMT
Essay Abstract

What is Time?. We do not have any clear and concise answer to this apparently simple question. This question has a history as long as that of mankind. Philosophers and scientists have been studying this question for several centuries and essentially remains unsolved. We still do not have a coherent picture of time and it's properties, in spite of several advances in our understanding in the science, philosophy, and in general our knowledge about the universe we live in. The subject of time is an active area of research, which is very clear when we look at the sheer amount of literature that has been collected over the past several years. Several questions comes to our mind when we look at the definitions of time. What is time? Can there be time without events?, Is time continuous or discrete?, Does time flow? Does it always flow in one direction (from the past to the future)? Is time reversible? Is time same for everyone and every where in this universe? Scientists have basically ignored the questions on time and generally holds a view wherein time is part of the four-dimensional continuum. Past, present and future events exists along the time dimension, which is just a one dimensional Real line. In fact, we can see that various properties of time progressively disappear as we move toward more fundamental physical theories. This essay attempts to present our current understanding of the nature of time from a scientific perspective. The primary focus is to address the question of whether science can answer the questions on time that we experience.

Author Bio

Currently working as a Software Architect for a major insurance company, has a Ph.D in Computer Science from I.I.T, Chennai, India. Has twenty years of experience, both in Management Consulting and in Information Technology. Has published papers primarily on algorithms and complexity related to parallel processor scheduling. Last several years has developed expertise in the area of Java and J2EE technologies, application of UML and XML in the development, monitoring and performance management of large scale, high availability applications Has been interested in physics, and has been working in the area of quntum computing and quantum gravity

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Venerando wrote on Nov. 25, 2008 @ 21:54 GMT
Hello Suresh,

It was agreeable for me to read your rigorous and deep essay that demonstrates a detailed knowledge of the whole set of the science involved in the problem of defining the nature of time.

But I find that at the end it lacks of a final proposition that, even not being rigourous, was daring to indicate a possible solution to the problem of nature of time. Probably that is what is excesive in my essay, being absent on the other hand the rigor and the unfolding knowledge of your one.

With my best whises.

Venerando.

Bookmark and Share

suresh wrote on Nov. 26, 2008 @ 14:58 GMT
Thank you for your comments. I am trying to catch up with the postings. Will read and comment your essay. As to your comment on the final proposition - my answer is in the last paragraph of my essay, that whether soceince can explain what we expwrience about time still remains an open question.

Bookmark and Share

Cristi Stoica wrote on Dec. 8, 2008 @ 05:45 GMT
Dear Dr. Suresh,

I read your essay and liked it. You present a very succinct, but lucid and exhaustive history of time according to Physics. I appreciate your honesty and consideration for other areas than Physics, as you stated in the Introduction: “This should not be construed as any reflection on the philosophical, religious and/or cultural aspects as being less important, but is purely due to the lack of expertise on the part of this author in such areas.”, and I liked your mature and equidistant conclusion in the closing phrase.

Best regards,

Cristi Stoica

“Flowing with a Frozen River”,

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/322

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.