Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Georgina Woodward: on 4/13/18 at 23:34pm UTC, wrote Flo, "write my essay cheap" is not only sneakily placed but poor grammar....

John Cox: on 4/13/18 at 17:59pm UTC, wrote Flo, that may be fair enough in terms of the current state of consensus,...

Joe Fisher: on 4/11/18 at 14:38pm UTC, wrote Dear Don Page, Unfortunately, Stephen Hawking was completely wrong about...

Thomas Ray: on 4/11/18 at 12:10pm UTC, wrote Don, Sympathy for your loss of a great friend and mentor. To me, the...

hostto hostto: on 4/11/18 at 9:48am UTC, wrote I am 100% at your back for this road safety forum you are having. It's a...

Florence Eliza: on 4/11/18 at 5:08am UTC, wrote Hawking has achieved astonishing things for a person with his issues,...

Grace Wolfe: on 4/10/18 at 19:11pm UTC, wrote I was so happy to speedy paper writing service reviews paper review see my...

Don Page: on 3/19/18 at 15:46pm UTC, wrote Stephen Hawking was the greatest theoretical gravitational physicist since...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Anonymous: "North Korea's unilateral action of announcing it was shutting down its only..." in Whose Physics Is It...

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Heinrich I'm not convinced that prior knowledge or experience is..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Heinrich Luediger: "Hi Georgina, I said ....one way or another. I'm sure you could have..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Joe Fisher: "Dear FQXi.org Board of Directors, Irrefutable evidence exists that..." in Whose Physics Is It...

Georgina Woodward: "Hellen jos, you probably only wanted to place a link, however FYI lots of..." in Does Quantum Weirdness...

Eckard Blumschein: "There was perhaps not yet a third crisis of cosmology conference after..." in The Quantum...

Jonathan Dickau: "For what it is worth... I was there! The paper by Louis Marmet cited..." in The Quantum...

Ashish Kochaar: "No words for the Quantumology. As per their figures and Dates in the May..." in Deferential Geometry

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Whose Physics Is It Anyway? Q&A with Chanda Prescod-Weinstein
Why physics and astronomy communities must take diversity issues seriously in order to do good science.

Why Time Might Not Be an Illusion
Einstein’s relativity pushes physicists towards a picture of the universe as a block, in which the past, present, and future all exist on the same footing; but maybe that shift in thinking has gone too far.

The Complexity Conundrum
Resolving the black hole firewall paradox—by calculating what a real astronaut would compute at the black hole's edge.

Quantum Dream Time
Defining a ‘quantum clock’ and a 'quantum ruler' could help those attempting to unify physics—and solve the mystery of vanishing time.

Our Place in the Multiverse
Calculating the odds that intelligent observers arise in parallel universes—and working out what they might see.

FQXi BLOGS
April 26, 2018

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Remembering Stephen W. Hawking (1942-2018) [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Blogger Don Page wrote on Mar. 19, 2018 @ 15:46 GMT
Stephen Hawking was the greatest theoretical gravitational physicist since Einstein. Using the assumptions of Einstein's classical theory of gravity, general relativity, plus reasonable conditions on the energy density and pressure of matter, Hawking showed that the observed expansion of the universe would imply that the universe had a beginning, a big bang singularity at the beginning of time....

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

report post as inappropriate

Florence Eliza Eliza wrote on Apr. 11, 2018 @ 05:08 GMT
Hawking has achieved astonishing things for a person with his issues, however, he's misrepresented as a physicist. He isn't viewed as that persuasive among physicists by and large, and a lot of his thoughts have not gotten a warm gathering from the material science group. He shows write my essay cheap up in numerous TV shows and documentaries since he's remarkable and in a split second unmistakable, yet that barely implies he's the main critical physicist working today. There are many others similarly as gifted and vital.

Refer: https://www.essayplus.co.uk/

Bookmark and Share

John R. Cox replied on Apr. 13, 2018 @ 17:59 GMT
Flo,

that may be fair enough in terms of the current state of consensus, but otherwise doesn't say much. And material science hasn't been very successful in anything other than its willful application to producing the modern toxic chemical soup. The rationale for Chernobyl hasn't persuaded me, the RBMK1000 series after all is a massively scaled up version of what in the west are constrained to small experimental slow breeder reactors. So on that score, while neither Hawking nor others have claimed him to be the last word on anything, at least Hartle-Hawking does recognize and pose the first question. jrc

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward replied on Apr. 13, 2018 @ 23:34 GMT
Flo, "write my essay cheap" is not only sneakily placed but poor grammar. Shame on you.

Bookmark and Share

Thomas Howard Ray wrote on Apr. 11, 2018 @ 12:10 GMT
Don,

Sympathy for your loss of a great friend and mentor.

To me, the most significant turn of history is in the black hole information paradox in which you played a major role. Even though there is opposition, what information preservation tells us is that Einstein was more right than wrong about a generalized theory. Personally, I was deeply affected by Hawking's reversal of himself -- as deeply as I felt about Popper's reversal on Darwinian evolution.

Details may be lacking, yet it takes a general framework to unify the seemingly disparate elements of nature, and a courageous mind to construct it.

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 11, 2018 @ 14:38 GMT
Dear Don Page,

Unfortunately, Stephen Hawking was completely wrong about there ever having been an invisible finite big-bang explosive commencement of any invisible abstract universe, and the possible existence of any finite invisible abstract black holes somehow existing in finite invisible space.

Irrefutable evidence exists that conclusively proves that the earth had a real VISIBLE surface for millions of regular Gregorian calendar years before y’all decided to conduct your finite LHCb experiment at CERN that recently announced results that put the theory of (finite invisible) Supersymmetry into ever growing doubt.

It logically follows that Nature must have designed the only REAL VISIBLE structure of the real planet earth, and the real VISIBLE Universe the real VISIBLE earth am contained in, obtainable.

The real Universe consists only of one real single unified VISIBLE infinite surface eternally occurring in one single infinite dimension that am always mostly illuminated by finite non-surface light.

Joe Fisher, ORCID ID 0000-0003-3988-8687. Unaffiliated

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.