Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Joe Fisher: on 5/9/18 at 14:40pm UTC, wrote Dear Ethan Scott, The proven fact that Hawking was completely wrong about...

Ethan Scott: on 5/9/18 at 6:04am UTC, wrote His death had a major impact on everyone but his legacy lives on. After...

hostto hostto: on 4/11/18 at 9:43am UTC, wrote I am 100% at your back for this road safety e of safety when on the road...

John Parker: on 3/22/18 at 16:26pm UTC, wrote I also heard this news. Stephen Hawking is a great man and he has done a...

Joe Fisher: on 3/21/18 at 14:57pm UTC, wrote Dear Akinbo Ojo, Irrefutable evidence exists that conclusively proves that...

Akinbo Ojo: on 3/21/18 at 12:48pm UTC, wrote HAWKING'S LEGACY Hawking’s legacy to me would be in being one of the...

David Brown: on 3/19/18 at 15:04pm UTC, wrote "... Hawking's influence ... which of the two cornerstones of physics,...

Joe Fisher: on 3/15/18 at 14:36pm UTC, wrote Dear FQXI.org Members, Hawking is dead and Hawking was dead wrong about...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

My Emilly: "Nice post,i like your article,great way of explanation.Looking for more..." in Collapsing Physics: Q&A...

Georgina Woodward: "I don't think it is word games. To understand how complex systems work..." in Agency in the Physical...

Chris Roger: "Hi, thanks for your nice article. It's really detailed and helpful gmail..." in What Is Fundamental? –...

Chris Roger: "Superb Information, I really appreciated with it, This is fine to read and..." in SciMeter: A New Way to...

Philip Chester: "Good post. I find out something new and challenging on articles I..." in New Online Course:...

Joe Fisher: "Dear FQXi.org Members, Reality am fundamental. Reality am not..." in Ed Witten on the Nature...

Emma Shah: "Summer clothing sales hold back inflation Inflation remained at 2.4% for..." in Ed Witten on the Nature...

Ludhiana Call Girls: "Well done for giving such a unique piece of information. The write-up given..." in The Complexity Conundrum

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Usurping Quantum Theory
The search is on for a fundamental framework that allows for even stranger links between particles than quantum theory—which could lead us to a theory of everything.

Fuzzballs v Black Holes
A radical theory replaces the cosmic crunchers with fuzzy quantum spheres, potentially solving the black-hole information paradox and explaining away the Big Bang and the origin of time.

Whose Physics Is It Anyway? Q&A with Chanda Prescod-Weinstein
Why physics and astronomy communities must take diversity issues seriously in order to do good science.

Why Time Might Not Be an Illusion
Einstein’s relativity pushes physicists towards a picture of the universe as a block, in which the past, present, and future all exist on the same footing; but maybe that shift in thinking has gone too far.

The Complexity Conundrum
Resolving the black hole firewall paradox—by calculating what a real astronaut would compute at the black hole's edge.

FQXi BLOGS
July 19, 2018

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Stephen Hawking (1942-2018) [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Mar. 14, 2018 @ 14:32 GMT
Credit: NASA
Many of you have woken to the sad news of the passing of Stephen Hawking — a towering figure in theoretical physics and cosmology, who inspired so many within science and beyond, with his intellectual insights into the nature of the universe, his wit, and his zest for the life that doctors once told him he would never have.

It’s difficult to overstate Hawking’s influence on the physics community. Roger Penrose, writing in the Guardian, and Martin Rees, in Nature, have written extremely accessible descriptions of the impact of his work. In the 1960s, with Penrose, George Ellis, and others, Hawking’s calculations helped to elucidate the mathematics of how the big bang marks the beginning of not just space, but time itself, from an infinitely small, dense “singularity.” Such singularities represent the breakdown of our best theories of physics and are also thought to lie at the heart of black holes, shrouded by an event horizon. It was believed that these event horizons act as one-way membranes that allow nothing that passes, not even light, to escape a black hole’s clutches. But, in the 1970s, Hawking’s work examining black holes with both general relativity and quantum theory, led him to propose that black holes can, in fact, slowly radiate particles, through the process of what has become known as “Hawking radiation.” This, in turn, suggests that black holes will slowly evaporate away — raising profound puzzles over the fate of information about the objects that fell in to the black hole.

This black-hole information paradox has yet to be resolved to everyone’s satisfaction; in fact, in recent years it has only become more confounding. But, as is often the way in science, posing questions can sometimes be as fruitful as offering solutions — and researchers are using this paradox, and its offshoots, as a handle to try to understand which of the two cornerstones of physics, Einstein’s general theory of relativity or quantum theory, has to give. Many FQXi members are today absorbed in projects that have their roots in Hawking’s work.

But Hawking’s influence goes deeper. As the bestselling author of A Brief History of Time, he directly inspired so many of us to study physics and cosmology, in the first place. I’ve lost count of the number of FQXi members who cite reading the book as a defining moment in their lives. I myself read natural sciences at Cambridge University, where Hawking was based and held the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics for many years. My fellow students and I never ceased to be excited to hear Hawking, or bump into him on the streets (quite literally, in the case of a friend, whom I recall returning to college one afternoon in a flustered state because she had cycled into his wheelchair). And while there might have been a danger that his celebrity status would give him an aura of unapproachability, he undercut this with his humour and the twinkle in his eyes. Hawking laced his public talks with jokes, managing to display comic timing despite speaking through a voice synthesiser. I personally loved him playfully claiming that the Spice Girls were his favourite group, for instance (or possibly that was entirely sincere, I’m not sure).

Later, as a science journalist, I was honoured that Hawking agreed to be interviewed by me for New Scientist and Nature, both about his own work, and to give his thoughts on that of others, even though providing comments clearly took a physical toll. But, of course, in addition to his scientific accomplishments, he will be remembered and admired for his commitment to engage the public and his refusal to be defined by the motor-neurone disease that struck him at just 21 years of age. That legacy will remain for generations to come.

Our thoughts at FQXi are with Hawking’s family, friends, and colleagues.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Ajay Pokhrel wrote on Mar. 14, 2018 @ 15:28 GMT
He was truly one of the greatest living minds of all time and inspiring personality to millions of minds around the world.

He proves' "Where there is will, there is a way."

Rest in peace!

Bookmark and Share

Stefan Weckbach wrote on Mar. 14, 2018 @ 19:21 GMT
The problem is not that people die, but whether or not there are enough growing personalities like Hawking after him who point to some fundamental problems of mankind. The danger of self-destruction for example due to short-profit thinking and alike, or the problem of climate change and pollution.

Despite his atheism, I always liked his humor, together with his sharp thinking. He became a kind of a science God and a prototype for mankind’s struggle and victory about the limits and finiteness (in an assumed absence of a Creator).

In the picuture above he obviously enjoyed experiencing the feeling of being free from gravitation. The best about this man was for me that he always was on the search after the truth. Hopefully he now found what Goethe’s Faustus searched for, namely what does hold together all that there is and what it’s like to be really free.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Agnew wrote on Mar. 15, 2018 @ 03:21 GMT
Hawking had an insight to the universe that I did not agree with, but he really worked hard to show his truth. I admire anyone who works hard for truth...even if their truth is wrong.

Hawking's passing means that now cosmology can move on from the strictures of his interpretation and perhaps come to realize the true nature of reality...

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Mar. 15, 2018 @ 14:36 GMT
Dear FQXI.org Members,

Hawking is dead and Hawking was dead wrong about the real VISIBLE Universe. There never was any finite INVISIBLE big-bang commencement of any abstract finite universe. There never has been any single finite invisible black hole in abstract finite invisible space.

Concrete evidence exists that proves conclusively that the earth had a real visible surface for millions of years before any preposterous guesswork spouting theoretical physicists ever appeared on that surface.

It logically follows that Nature must have devised the only real physical structure obtainable.

The real Universe consists only of one real single unified VISIBLE infinite surface eternally occurring in one single infinite dimension that am always mostly illuminated by finite non-surface light.

Joe Fisher, ORCID ID 0000-0003-3988-8687. Unaffiliated

Bookmark and Share

David Brown wrote on Mar. 19, 2018 @ 15:04 GMT
"... Hawking's influence ... which of the two cornerstones of physics, Einstein's general theory of relativity, or quantum theory, has to give ..." Google "hawking milgrom witten" and/or "hawking milgrom wolfram".

Stephen Hawking, Wikiquote

Bookmark and Share

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Mar. 21, 2018 @ 12:48 GMT
HAWKING'S LEGACY

Hawking’s legacy to me would be in being one of the earliest theoretical physicists to strike a blow against the Parmenidean doctrine that whatever exists cannot perish or come into being: “How could what is, thereafter perish? And how could it come into being? For if it came into being, it is not, nor if it is going to be in the future. So coming into being is...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher replied on Mar. 21, 2018 @ 14:57 GMT
Dear Akinbo Ojo,

Irrefutable evidence exists that conclusively proves that the earth had a real VISIBLE surface for millions of regular Gregorian calendar years before Parmenides or Stephen Hawking ever appeared on that real VISIBLE surface.

It logically follows that Nature must have designed the only REAL VISIBLE structure of the real planet earth, and the real VISIBLE Universe the real VISIBLE earth am contained in, obtainable.

The real Universe consists only of one real single unified VISIBLE infinite surface eternally occurring in one single infinite dimension that am always mostly illuminated by finite non-surface light.

The only thing Parmenides and Hawking ever contributed was propounding abstract finite codswallop information about imaginary INVISIBLE forces.

Joe Fisher, ORCID ID 0000-0003-3988-8687. Unaffiliated

Bookmark and Share

Ethan Scott wrote on May. 9, 2018 @ 06:04 GMT
His death had a major impact on everyone but his legacy lives on.

After his death I started reading multiple books of his like Theory of Everything and A Brief History of Time

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher replied on May. 9, 2018 @ 14:40 GMT
Dear Ethan Scott,

The proven fact that Hawking was completely wrong about the real physical VISIBLE nature of the real VISIBLE Universe that I have repeatedly presented at this site has had no impact at all. All of the Popes who have ever lived and all of the theoretical physicists who have ever lived have been mistaken when they assumed that an INVISIBLE void could have ever preceded any sort of finite durable creation of real VISIBLE phenomena.

Irrefutable evidence exists that conclusively proves that the earth had a visible surface for millions of regular Gregorian calendar years before Newton and Einstein, and Roman Catholic clergy ever appeared on that surface and began their unrealistic physics and religious guesswork, and before any timepieces were ever manufactured, and well before quantum physics were ever even thought of.

It logically follows that Nature must have designed the only REAL VISIBLE structure of the real planet earth, and the real VISIBLE Universe the real VISIBLE earth am contained in, obtainable.

My essay, REALITY AM NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, which was published online by the Foundational Questions Institute (FQXi.org) on January 10th, 2018 explains natural reality more fully. The essay is located at url: https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2992

What else can I do that would convert you to my point of view?

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.