Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

jason Roy: on 2/20/18 at 5:07am UTC, wrote You can play sonic games online from here without spending a single penny.

ella scott: on 2/8/18 at 1:50am UTC, wrote Your site has a lot of useful information for myself. I visit regularly....

Zeeya Merali: on 2/6/18 at 22:29pm UTC, wrote As many of you will have heard by now, Joe Polchinski sadly passed away on...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Perhaps I can word that more clearly. The human observer's self generated..." in Breaking the Universe's...

Georgina Woodward: "The effective reference frame in perceptual judgments of motion direction...." in Breaking the Universe's...

Jonathan Dickau: "Sorry again... I should have read more of the linked attachment before..." in If the world ended...

Jonathan Dickau: "Sorry, Some of these arguments appear vacuous, or depend on hidden..." in If the world ended...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Joe Fisher: "Robert Lawrence Kuhn ℅ Closer To Truth November 17, 2018 Ref: Get out..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Zimmer man: "Excellent and useful information, thanks for the list. androdumpper apk..." in Neutrino mysteries,...

Edwin Knox: "The genuine Earth had a genuine VISIBLE surface for many years previously..." in Superhuman: Book Review...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

Constructing a Theory of Life
An all-encompassing framework of physics could help to explain the evolution of consciousness, intelligence, and free will.

Usurping Quantum Theory
The search is on for a fundamental framework that allows for even stranger links between particles than quantum theory—which could lead us to a theory of everything.

Fuzzballs v Black Holes
A radical theory replaces the cosmic crunchers with fuzzy quantum spheres, potentially solving the black-hole information paradox and explaining away the Big Bang and the origin of time.

Whose Physics Is It Anyway? Q&A with Chanda Prescod-Weinstein
Why physics and astronomy communities must take diversity issues seriously in order to do good science.

FQXi BLOGS
November 20, 2018

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Joe Polchinski (1954-2018) [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Feb. 6, 2018 @ 22:29 GMT
As many of you will have heard by now, Joe Polchinski sadly passed away on Feb 2, 2018, after a long battle with cancer. For FQXi, this marks not only the loss of a brilliant mind, but a dear friend.

There have been many tributes from Joe’s colleagues celebrating his life and work. You can learn more through those links about his pioneering work on string theory, in particular, his role in the discovery of D-Branes (with Jin Dai and Rob Leigh), objects to which the ends of open strings can become tethered. (Matt Strassler has a wonderful discussion about the significance of this in relation to a description of black holes in string theory, and to the discovery of fundamental dualities between descriptions of physics using strings, black holes and gravity to those using quantum fields and particles.) But Joe’s achievements go beyond that, including his work on the string landscape (with Raphael Bousso) and more recently, articulating the blackhole firewall paradox, as the “P” in the AMPS team (with Ahmed Almheiri, Donald Marolf and James Sully). He won numerous awards, including a share of the $3-million Breakthrough Prize in 2017.nI am sure that in the coming days, many FQXi members who worked closely with Joe Polchinski will add more tributes, here and elsewhere.

Speaking as a science writer, I am sure many journalists would join me in saying that Joe was exceptionally friendly and supportive when it came to explaining his own work, and that of his colleagues. And I wanted to add one anecdote based on my many interactions with him from that perspective. The last time that I met with Joe in person was while I was researching my book. We spoke about his work on D-Branes, and the series of related discoveries by others around that time that make up the “second superstring revolution.” He was truly animated, scribbling on the blackboard and talking through how the realisation came aboutin the mid-90s. I asked him how exciting it was, back then. Was he aware of his work’s significance? Proud of this immense accomplishment?

Joe stopped, chalk in hand, and thought for good while, reaching back to how he must have felt at the time. “I’ll tell you something funny, just as a personal note,” he said. One of his sons, he explained, played roller hockey, and Joe was asked to coach the kids’ team. His first season of coaching coincided with the D-Brane discovery. “It was weird…I was much more emotionally involved in the coaching than I was in the D branes.” And it was the roller hockey with his son, he noted, that was the real highlight of his year.

Our thoughts are with Joe’s family and friends.

Joe Polchinski's: "Memories of a Theoretical Physicist"

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

ella scott scott wrote on Feb. 8, 2018 @ 01:50 GMT
Your site has a lot of useful information for myself. I visit regularly. Hope to have more quality items.

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.