Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

marco sanchez: on 4/11/18 at 2:42am UTC, wrote Very helpful advice in this particular post! It’s the little changes that...

Juan Ramón González Álvarez: on 2/27/18 at 23:33pm UTC, wrote I think all of my criticism also applies to the Vixra paper. I would add...

Peter Jackson: on 2/24/18 at 11:34am UTC, wrote Kamal, I post here not above as it's easier to find. Thanks for your kind...

Bashir Yusuf: on 2/23/18 at 13:55pm UTC, wrote Dear Rajpal I agree many points including; "The electron rest mass is...

Don Limuti: on 2/22/18 at 23:06pm UTC, wrote Hi Kamal, Thanks for your essay on the electron, a particle that is so...

richard nixey: on 2/22/18 at 21:38pm UTC, wrote Kamal, Made it as promised. Electron spin is indeed very important....

austin fearnley: on 2/22/18 at 9:07am UTC, wrote Dear Kamal You wrote on my thread that "Quantum Mechanics claims that an...

James Hoover: on 2/18/18 at 18:08pm UTC, wrote Kamal, Thanks for reading and commenting on my essay. I have not been...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: ""The motion of the solar system, and the orientation of the plane of the..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Jim Snowdon: "On the permanently dark side of the Earth, the stars would appear to stay..." in The Nature of Time

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Jorma, some thoughts; You mention mutual EM connection. I think you..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

akash hasan: "Some students have an interest in researching and space exploration. I..." in Announcing Physics of the...

Michael Jordan: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Review of "Foundations of...

Anonymous: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Constructing a Theory of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

FQXi FORUM
May 26, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: What is Electron Spin? by Kamal L Rajpal [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Kamal L Rajpal wrote on Feb. 2, 2018 @ 19:10 GMT
Essay Abstract

An isolated static electron in free space is not a fixed particle at rest. It is always oscillating in a SHM in its own electromagnetic inertia field, rest frame even at zero kelvin temperature. This is non-thermal, standing wave, resonance Compton frequency, oscillation along a linear path or, along an elliptical or a circular (clockwise or anti-clockwise) path which results in the electron’s intrinsic magnetic moment (spin up or spin down). An electron with spin behaves like a tiny magnet. Intrinsic spin does not imply that a subatomic particle is spinning like a toy-top about its axis. A hypothetical electron without a charge is like the bob of a simple pendulum without a string.

Author Bio

Freelance physics writer. B.Tech (Hons.) from the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Juan Ramón González Álvarez wrote on Feb. 3, 2018 @ 19:19 GMT
An isolated electron does not generate any field. This is one of the flaws of the field-theoretic approach to interactions. The electromagnetic interaction there exist only when there two or more electrons. This multiparticle interaction is which we can write as the product of a potential and a current or density. In the one-particle limit the potentials vanish and there is no fields associated....

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Kamal L Rajpal replied on Feb. 8, 2018 @ 17:36 GMT
Dear Juan Ramon Gonzalez Alvarez,

Thank you for reading my essay and giving your views. To get a complete picture please read: Wave Particle http://vixra.org/pdf/1303.0170v1.pdf . I look forward to your comments.

Kamal Rajpal

Bookmark and Share

Juan Ramón González Álvarez replied on Feb. 27, 2018 @ 23:33 GMT
I think all of my criticism also applies to the Vixra paper.

I would add some comments about the section 11.0. The Dirac equation isn't a valid wavefunction equation. The ZB arises because the equations misleading mixtures positive and negative energy solutions. The Dirac equation is correctly interpreted as an identity for the fermion field operator in field theory, and the normal ordering procedure separates positive and negative solutions, eliminating all ZB components.

Hestenes' work is incorrect.

Bookmark and Share

Alan M. Kadin wrote on Feb. 4, 2018 @ 17:57 GMT
Dear Mr. Rajpal,

Your title asks a good question: “What is Electron Spin”? What is your answer? Your essay is not entirely clear.

Are you saying that spin is associated with rotational motion of a point electron around a central point in space, at a frequency mc^2/h? (Is that what you mean by the Compton frequency?)

I agree with you that electron spin is associated with rotation, and not rotation of a solid body around its axis. In my neoclassical picture, the electron is a distributed vector wavepacket, like an electromagnetic field. And like an EM field, the electron wave may be circularly polarized, corresponding to coherently rotating vector fields, at a rotational frequency mc^2/h.

You might be interested in reading my essay, “Fundamental Waves and the Reunification of Physics”. I argue that both GR and QM have been fundamentally misunderstood, and that something close to classical physics should be restored, reunifying physics that was split in the early 20th century. QM should not be a general theory of nature, but rather a mechanism for creating discrete soliton-like wavepackets from otherwise classical continuous fields. These same quantum wavepackets have a characteristic frequency and wavelength that define local time and space, enabling GR without invoking an abstract curved spacetime.

Alan Kadin

Bookmark and Share

Author Kamal L Rajpal wrote on Feb. 8, 2018 @ 17:39 GMT
Dear Dr. Alan Kadin,

Thank you for reading my essay and giving your views. To get a complete picture please read: Wave Particle http://vixra.org/pdf/1303.0170v1.pdf . I look forward to your comments.

I have read your essay and will post my comments shortly.

Kamal Rajpal

Bookmark and Share

adel sadeq wrote on Feb. 10, 2018 @ 02:22 GMT
Thanks for reading my essay , I will read yours and come back to you.

Bookmark and Share

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Feb. 11, 2018 @ 07:03 GMT
Dear Kamal L Rajpal I agree that “Spin is a fundamental property of atomic & subatomicparticles, like its mass or charge. It is present both in moving and in particles at rest. OAM results from the motion of a particle around some object, like an electron around a nucleus.” We cannot say that the particle itself rotates, when we don't want to know that it rotates. And only New Cartesian Physics claims that it rotates the space that is matter. Look at my essay, FQXi Fundamental in New Cartesian Physics by Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich Where I showed how radically the physics can change if it follows the principle of identity of space and matter of Descartes. I hope you will not leave without attention to this principle and appreciate good New Cartesian Physics

Sincerely, Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich.

Bookmark and Share

Author Kamal L Rajpal wrote on Feb. 12, 2018 @ 18:26 GMT
Dear Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich,

Thank you for reading my essay and giving your views. I agree with you that an electron rotates on its axis and also around the nucleus and both contribute to electron spin.

I will continue to be in touch with you even after this essay contest is over. Meanwhile, please read: Wave Particle http://vixra.org/pdf/1303.0170v1.pdf at your convenience and give your comments.

Kamal Rajpal

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 14, 2018 @ 02:27 GMT
Hi Kamal L Rajpal Ji

Very nice fundamental discussion ... "An isolated static electron in free space is not a fixed particle at rest. It is always oscillating in a SHM in its own electromagnetic inertia field, rest frame even at zero kelvin temperature. This is non-thermal, standing wave, resonance Compton frequency, oscillation along a linear path or, along an elliptical or a circular...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman replied on Feb. 16, 2018 @ 02:34 GMT
Kamal,

That is an interesting description of a particular, basic aspect of quantum mechanics.Though I'm not a viable expert on QM.

Bookmark and Share

Christian Corda wrote on Feb. 15, 2018 @ 11:10 GMT
Dear Kamal L Rajpal,

Thanks for your comments in my Essay page and for inviting me to read your Essay.

You wrote a nice Essay, despite it is a bit speculative. You indeed released new insights on a quantum object, the electron, that it is not still completely understood. In my Essay, I describe the "electron" of the "gravitational atom" as being the oscillations of the black hole event horizon. Till now, I have only applied a semi-classical approach without considering spins. Maybe you Essay could be a guide for my future, more detailed analyses.

In any case, your Essay was a pleasant reading. It deserves my highest score. Good luck in the Contest!

Cheers, Ch.

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Feb. 16, 2018 @ 11:20 GMT
Kamal

Good work, fundamental, well conceived written and illustrated. Pencilled in for a high score. Perhaps not entirely complete and maybe with the odd flaw but those are not scoring matters, and common to all theory! I also analyse the electron and have done in past papers.

Have you analysed the 3-axis OAM components of rotation yet? I use a similar model to yours and find a 'way in' to a clssic description of QM from electrons in static fields (polarisers etc) which rotate with field direction.

I think you'll like my essay. (see also Declan Traill's code and plot).

Well done for yours.

Very Best

Peter

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Feb. 18, 2018 @ 18:08 GMT
Kamal,

Thanks for reading and commenting on my essay.

I have not been schooled in electron motion but do wonder about different simple harmonic motions (shm) of electrons in different atoms -- non-hydrogen with more than 1 electron or molecules electoral-statically impacted by adjoined electrons in other atoms. What is fundamental in all environments? We all contribute in this difficult question of fundamentalism and can help one another.

Jim Hoover

Bookmark and Share

austin fearnley wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 09:07 GMT
Dear Kamal

You wrote on my thread that "Quantum Mechanics claims that an electron can be both spin-up and spin-down at the same time. In my conceptual physics Essay on Electron Spin, I have proved that this is not true." And you gave references to some of your papers.

I have read your contest paper and your vixra paper on electron spin. I note that you referred to zbw or zitterbewegung in your vixra paper. Your attribution of SHM motion to the electron seems to fit nicely with zbw.

I also do not believe that an electron can be simultaneously spin up and down at the same time. But, in my preon model, parts of an electron can be spin up and parts can be spin down simultaneously. But it is a simple count of spin up and down parts which determines the net spin. A higgs field/particle will contain an equal number of components with up and down spins.

Just as the quantum chiral spin of an electron does not mean that an electron is spinning like a top, the preons, or components, in an electron are also not simply spinning like a top. Chiral quantum spin seems to be inherent in the smallest parts of an electron, in the fashion of a fractal property. It is present no matter how far you zoom in.

Best wishes

Austin Fearnley

Bookmark and Share

richard kingsley nixey wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 21:38 GMT
Kamal,

Made it as promised. Electron spin is indeed very important. Interesting read and ideas. Did you see Peter Jacksons electron model; allowing OAM and additional; vector states with the Poincare sphere, demystifying QM and the usual confusion like in Austins post above.

Well done.

Best

Richard

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 23:06 GMT
Hi Kamal,

Thanks for your essay on the electron, a particle that is so basic and yet so elusive. I also consider an electron at rest an impossibility.

My own essay is a rather non-standard view of space-time and gravity. Do take a look.

Thanks for your essay,

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Bashir Yusuf wrote on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 13:55 GMT
Dear Rajpal

I agree many points including;

"The electron rest mass is equivalent to the energy of a photon of wavelength equal to the electron Compton wavelength. An analysis of the oscillating electron is also given by Petr Beckmann [1]".

I believe de Broglie and Compton wavelengths tells some important effect about the matter ratios namely, ratio between electron and photon.

Here you may read,

my essay

Kind regards

Bashir

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Feb. 24, 2018 @ 11:34 GMT
Kamal,

I post here not above as it's easier to find. Thanks for your kind comment on mine on 16th & viXra link which I'll follow after scoring. (Your little boost was my score). Well done.

Best of luck in the run in.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

marco sanchez wrote on Apr. 11, 2018 @ 02:42 GMT
Very helpful advice in this particular post! It’s the little changes that make the largest changes. Thanks for sharing!

street view

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.