Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Katie Molina: on 4/8/19 at 7:39am UTC, wrote Whenever you read Codes Saver Online blog, you get so much to think and so...

David Brown: on 2/23/18 at 7:55am UTC, wrote "... the Big Bang as singularity is a conundrum for physics ..." According...

Steven Andresen: on 2/22/18 at 6:28am UTC, wrote Dear Ng Xin Zhao If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/14/18 at 2:01am UTC, wrote Dear Xin Zhao Ng It is wonderful that you are trying to combine Physics...

Xin Zhao Ng: on 2/10/18 at 23:29pm UTC, wrote Thanks for all the clarifications! It seems that just reading lots of...

Xin Zhao Ng: on 2/10/18 at 23:27pm UTC, wrote Sorry, breaking my own rule, here are some clarifications. Mathematics...

Lee Bloomquist: on 2/6/18 at 3:17am UTC, wrote entropy -> information -> it=(bit, it) -> a "non-wellFounded set"

Juan Ramón González Álvarez: on 2/4/18 at 15:21pm UTC, wrote Equations looked ok in the preview. Both are broken in the final post....

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "It's difficult for the acrobats to see each other. I want a 3rd party..." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Georgina Woodward: "Thinking observers are going to notice their own and the other's arms..." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Lorraine Ford: "Ian, I’m sorry for going overboard on the “physicists think that”..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

andrea gonzalez: "Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up. If want to collect free gift card..." in Memory, Causality and...

Ian Durham: "Well, Lorraine, if you insist on seeing it that way, I doubt anything I say..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in First Things First: The...

Poker Online: "https://www.jakartapoker.net/" in Downward causation:...

Enquire us: "Your Ro system desires regular maintenance to confirm it’s continually in..." in Agency in the Physical...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
August 24, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: Entropy as a measure of Fundamentality by Ng Xin Zhao [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Xin Zhao Ng wrote on Feb. 2, 2018 @ 19:00 GMT
Essay Abstract

A viewpoint of entropic measurement of a theory as it’s measure of fundamentality is proposed. This idea came about from philosophical musing with Buddhist fundamental principle of dependent origination. Information being kept track of by the theory, the principles which compacts the form of the theory, and the range of validity of the theory are examined with examples in Physics. These form the basis of measuring a theory’s entropy. A map of physics theories and principles is drawn out to provide the big picture of fundamentality. The implications of such a viewpoint is listed out and is found to be very useful. In particular, the search for the theory of everything can be known to be found when the second law of thermodynamics is absorbed by the theory and it keeps track of every possible information, leaving nothing to coarse graining. It is up to the work of science to show if reductionism is true by rigorous linking up of all knowledge down to Physics. Failing that, each field of knowledge can be said to have their own fundamental theories.

Author Bio

Ng Xin Zhao has two degrees, in Physics and Buddhism. Having done several Physics research in his undergraduate days, he is still actively keeping up with progress in Physics and read many popular Physics books. He is writing a book on Physics and Buddhism so that the field is fair and true to Physics. He is also an avid fan of science fiction, including Doctor Who, who has a cameo in the essay. Currently he is a full time spiritual practitioner.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Ajay Pokhrel wrote on Feb. 3, 2018 @ 04:58 GMT
Hello Xin,

A well-written essay. This is a unique thought that theories could be like entropy which would go on dividing from lower entropy theory. If I describe my essay in term of yours then 'Mathematics is lower entropy' or the lower entropy theory should be perfectly mathematical.

You have some views on Buddhism. Being born in a country where Buddha was born, I really appreciate your message and viewpoints. In fact, sometimes I try to relate science to religion. For instance: It is believed that doing sin result in bad future which correlates to Newtons Third law "To every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your essay and wish you a good luck in the competition.

Meanwhile, I invite you to my essay Is mathematics Fundamental? and discuss your viewpoints in my essay.

Kind Regards

Ajay Pokharel

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Xin Zhao Ng replied on Feb. 10, 2018 @ 23:27 GMT
Sorry, breaking my own rule, here are some clarifications.

Mathematics alone doesn't care for experimental data, so it doesn't count as a physical theory. I think of them as tools.

Buddha was born in Nepal, I was born in Malaysia. Unwholsome kamma is not the same concept as sin. There is no damnation by some being, but it's a universal law of moral cause and effect. Newtonian third law is an inaccurate way to make analogy with kamma. Newtonian third law posits the same force reaction, kamma results can be bigger or lesser depending on conditions. Newtonian third law has forces act on two opposing bodies, for kamma the action and result are by the same body, and fall on the same body.

Bookmark and Share

Author Xin Zhao Ng wrote on Feb. 4, 2018 @ 06:26 GMT
Dear all,

I would wish to only reply to the comments after the community voting period has ended at the end of February. This is to enable honest commentary feedback and honest voting not based on trading of favours, but on the merit of the ideas inside the essays.

Do keep on commenting here if you like, I shall reply it possibily in April as I will be in full retreat mode in March. Thanks for your honest feedback.

Bookmark and Share

Juan Ramón González Álvarez wrote on Feb. 4, 2018 @ 15:15 GMT
The association of entropy with disorder is misleading. First, because it is based in the lack of distintion between the concept of physical entropy associated to thermodynamics and the several informational entropy concepts found in the theory of information. Second, because it gives rise to that belief that a system always evolves irreversible towards a more disordered state. Mix two inmiscible...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Xin Zhao Ng replied on Feb. 10, 2018 @ 23:29 GMT
Thanks for all the clarifications! It seems that just reading lots of popular physics books cannot cover for a masters education in physics to know these detailed stuffs.

Bookmark and Share

Juan Ramón González Álvarez wrote on Feb. 4, 2018 @ 15:21 GMT
Equations looked ok in the preview. Both are broken in the final post. Weird!

I try a second time (both look ok in the preview)

and

Bookmark and Share

Lee Bloomquist wrote on Feb. 6, 2018 @ 03:17 GMT
entropy -> information -> it=(bit, it) -> a "non-wellFounded set"

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 14, 2018 @ 02:01 GMT
Dear Xin Zhao Ng

It is wonderful that you are trying to combine Physics with ancient Buddism..."A viewpoint of entropic measurement of a theory as it’s measure of fundamentality is proposed. This idea came about from philosophical musing with Buddhist fundamental principle of dependent origination. Information being kept track of by the theory, the principles which compacts the form of...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 06:28 GMT
Dear Ng Xin Zhao

If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the final days of the contest, will you consider mine please? I read all essays from those who comment on my page, and if I cant rate an essay highly, then I don’t rate them at all. Infact I haven’t issued a rating lower that ten. So you have nothing to lose by having me read your essay, and everything to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

David Brown wrote on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 07:55 GMT
"... the Big Bang as singularity is a conundrum for physics ..." According to Fredkin, singularities, infinities, infinitesimals, perfectly continuous variables, and local sources of randomness are false hypotheses contrary to nature's reality. Do Einstein's field equations need at least 3 corrections? (1) Is prevention of the Big Bang singularity necessary? (2) Is prevention of infinite time necessary? (3) Is it necessary to modify the field equations to explain Milgrom's MOND? Google "kroupa milgrom" and "mcgaugh milgrom".

Bookmark and Share

Katie Molina wrote on Apr. 8, 2019 @ 07:39 GMT
Whenever you read Codes Saver Online blog, you get so much to think and so much to understand. I think that with time, only you can know what is going on and how to do it.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.